Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mandalay posted:

How much is a cup at Intelli? "part" leads me to believe you spent $25 on a donut.

$12.
I also had a donut, a SO (Amigos de Buesaco, I think) macchiato, and a bag of Gichathaini Kenya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
That is....a lot of money for a cup of coffee. Guess it's worth it if it changes your life (unlike the similarly priced siphon at Blue Bottle)

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Mandalay posted:

Ok, I'm about a week into my CCD and I'm wondering how much I need to agitate the grinds. Do I need to be doing something like the V60 here above? I'm worried that because my grinds go in at the bottom and I don't stir it too vigorously (since I broke my filter doing so), I'm not reaching the grinds at the bottom of the Clever.

I've never used the CCD but as long as you don't have a ton of ground coffee floating on top I think you'd be fine. With the V60 this doesn't happen because I pre-wet the grounds and let it bloom for 30 seconds or so. I would just pour slowly at first and if you really want to agitate it I'd just jiggle the whole thing or use some sort of little wooden paddle. This is what I do with my french press and it seems to turn out fine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mandalay posted:

Ok, I'm about a week into my CCD and I'm wondering how much I need to agitate the grinds. Do I need to be doing something like the V60 here above? I'm worried that because my grinds go in at the bottom and I don't stir it too vigorously (since I broke my filter doing so), I'm not reaching the grinds at the bottom of the Clever.

You don't need to do it vigorously. I just do like one sweep on the bottom and submerge any grounds floating on the top for the first stir. The second is really light.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Unlike Kopi Luwak and JBM (and Kona in some ways), the Geisha market is entirely for coffee super spergs. So, yeah, I think it's definitely worth trying at least once (for now) until it gets completely over blown and quality suffers because of it.

It is absolutely worth trying. I'd probably have it again for $12.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm thinking of putting together a small coffee kit to take to work, and looking at grinders on sweetmarias, would this be adequate for french press/pour over: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/grinders/electric-grinders/bodum-bistro-electric-mill.html

I was thinking about getting a hand grinder, but if this does the job for less money and significantly less effort I'd rather go with that if I won't be able to taste a huge difference.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I used a blade grinder for a while with a french press and I had so much more sludge than I do now with my Hario slim.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, I really don't like using a blade grinder for french press. I used one at a friend's place and it leaves a boatload of sediment in the cup.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
What about for a pour-over? For a french press, does it affect the taste at all, or is really just the crap at the bottom of your cup?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Third Man posted:

What about for a pour-over? For a french press, does it affect the taste at all, or is really just the crap at the bottom of your cup?

You want something that will grind uniformly with a pourover. Get something with burrs. I wouldn't dick around with hand grinders. Get a baratza encore refurb right now for $85.

Fyi guys, encore refurbs now on sale again.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

The Third Man posted:

Well, the crap at the bottom of the cup negatively affects taste in terms of bitterness. I certainly perceived it that way, at least.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

nm posted:

If I already have a Hario Slim, will a Baratza Encore offer me anything other than convenience and a weaker grinding arm?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GaylordButts posted:

If I already have a Hario Slim, will a Baratza Encore offer me anything other than convenience and a weaker grinding arm?

Yeah, it has a much more consistent grind.
I went from a slim to a maestro plus, worth every penny.
A fact I'm about to be reminded of as I just broke the hopper on my mp (dropped) and have to get a new one.

The encore can also go pretty fine apparently if you want to try other options.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

nm posted:

Sold. Thanks. Bodum Bistro, gettin' replaced in record time

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Third Man posted:

For coffee extraction there are compounds in the bean that contribute off tastes and a bad bitterness. You don't want everything in the bean. There's a good chart in the OP showing this. Anyway, when you start to extract the unwanted stuff you get a cup that is considered "overextracted". We're all probably pretty familiar with that bitter burnt cardboard taste of awful office/hotel/church/conference coffee. That's overextraction.

What does this have to do with grinder? Coffee spergs like to rant on and on about grind consistency. All this means is that we want as little variation is coffee granule size from granule to granule. This translates into even/consistent extraction of the bulk of the coffee and therefore we are more able to avoid over extraction.

It's especially bad for press pot because of the aforementioned sludgecup. It will still definitely affect pourover. It will affect every brew method. I use a hand grinder for travel coffee with pourover or sometimes aeropress. It's not optimal, there's some play in the grinder shaft so I wouldn't recommend it as a dedicated everyday use grinder, but it's better than a blade grinder. The Baratza Encore/Maestro Refurbs and the Capresso Infinity are the cheapest grinders recommended for daily use duty.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Sold. Thanks. Bodum Bistro, gettin' replaced in record time

Guess there was only 1. They're sold out now.
You're lucky. Enjoy, even the cheap grinders they make are great.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

nm posted:

Guess there was only 1. They're sold out now.
You're lucky. Enjoy, even the cheap grinders they make are great.

Thanks man. May there be no stop signs in your roundabouts.

EDIT: Is it normal for there to be a seam between the CCD and its filter?

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 22, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

No.

Are you wearing Allen Edmonds Delrays?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mandalay posted:

EDIT: Is it normal for there to be a seam between the CCD and its filter?

I usually fold and crease the seamed edges, the one alone the side and the one along the bottom, before putting into any filtercone. Should fix your problem.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
^^^ e: I'll try that thanks

nm posted:

No.

Are you wearing Allen Edmonds Delrays?

Can't seem to get the dry filter to conform to the CCD circle without dampening it first, which creates an unsightly pool of water at the bottom.

And these are Waltons, good call on noticing the AE blucher.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Can't seem to get the dry filter to conform to the CCD circle without dampening it first, which creates an unsightly pool of water at the bottom.

You should be washing paper filters (twice) with hot water to remove paper fines from manufacturing. I will usually crease filter, put in filtercone, add water, swirl, dump (you can pour it out the top, wetting the filter when it's in the cone will make it stick to the filtercone), add more water swirl, dump, then add the ground coffee and continue. Same with Aeropress.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mandalay posted:

^^^ e: I'll try that thanks

And these are Waltons, good call on noticing the AE blucher.

I always wet it in the CCD. I put about a cup of boiling water in with the filer and keep it there for a bit. Warms up the equipment.
I then drain it into my coffee cup and warm up my coffee cupwhile brewing.
It warms things up (keeps temps up for brewing) and reduces paper taste.

I am a big AE fan. They make a lot of split toes, hard to tell apart. I'm wearing my cream and brown Broadstreets because I'm a criminal defense attorney, which means basically the louder the better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Third Man posted:

I'm thinking of putting together a small coffee kit to take to work, and looking at grinders on sweetmarias, would this be adequate for french press/pour over: http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/grinders/electric-grinders/bodum-bistro-electric-mill.html

I was thinking about getting a hand grinder, but if this does the job for less money and significantly less effort I'd rather go with that if I won't be able to taste a huge difference.

If you're doing a coarse grind for the French Press it should take like 30 seconds to manually grind for one cup. You can do it while waiting for water to boil.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

nm posted:

I'm wearing my cream and brown Broadstreets because I'm a criminal defense attorney, which means basically the louder the better.

This sounds terrifying to someone who's never been in a courthouse btw :v:

On topic: I know Orphan Espresso sells bearing mods for the Kyocero/skerton grinder (not the minislim) that supposedly makes the wobble much better, but I haven't tried it myself.

Also, the encore is awesome; I brought back the refurb I scored thanks to this thread back to my folks in Korea and they love it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get another so I "had" to get myself a virtuoso refurb in order to get a nice electric grinder.

Is the Virtuoso with preciso burrs good enough yet for espresso, or does it still lack the fine adjustment needed for that? It's fine for me if it isn't, since I already enjoy pourover and press coffee and don't want to spend money on espresso gear until I can get it right.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Archer2338 posted:

This sounds terrifying to someone who's never been in a courthouse btw :v:

Don't drop your grinders people. Thankfully, it just broke my hopper (which is $10), but I have to use by crappy hario slim for a week or so. So much play.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Jesus, $12 a cup. I thought AUD$5.50 for a Colombia Geisha here was a bit steep.

Content:

Jamaica Blue Mountain RSW Estate peaberry in my new 1-cup glass V60. Extremely impressed with how my Mazzer Mini can switch between drip and espresso grinds without freaking out like my Baratza used to.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Shouting Melon posted:

Jesus, $12 a cup. I thought AUD$5.50 for a Colombia Geisha here was a bit steep.

Intelligentsia isn't exactly cheap, even with real stuff.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Archer2338 posted:

On topic: I know Orphan Espresso sells bearing mods for the Kyocero/skerton grinder (not the minislim) that supposedly makes the wobble much better, but I haven't tried it myself.

Has anyone here tried this? I like my Skerton for travel, but it'd be really nice to cut down on the fines.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

nm posted:

I always wet it in the CCD. I put about a cup of boiling water in with the filer and keep it there for a bit. Warms up the equipment.
I then drain it into my coffee cup and warm up my coffee cupwhile brewing.
It warms things up (keeps temps up for brewing) and reduces paper taste.

Yeah, none of this is happening because the nearest sink involves going through a blood draw station with syringes and all kinds of human samples. Gravity's simple suggestion to fold helped.

Had a call and accidentally brewed in the CCD for 12 minutes today. Still tastes OK--not enough to throw it out. Good use of these Guatemala Santa Clara beans that I disliked on the Aeropress (from Stumptown).

AE Chat: my fav AE shoe has to be their boot, the Long Branch. Took it to Asia for two weeks as my only footwear and drat if it doesn't look good while being fairly rugged in the snow/countryside/etc.

Mr N
Oct 20, 2010
So I think this might have been asked before but I can't find it. Does anyone have any opinions on electric burr grinders available in the UK? (preferably on amazon as I got a £10 voucher for christmas!). Even though it'd be nice to be able to grind espresso I don't think I can really afford to splash out on something that can do it at this point in time, so I just need to be able to grind for pour over and press coffee.

This is one I've been looking at for a while and seems quite affordable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=468294

There's also Dualit, Bodum and Cuisinart ones that I've seen on there.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Mr N posted:

So I think this might have been asked before but I can't find it. Does anyone have any opinions on electric burr grinders available in the UK? (preferably on amazon as I got a £10 voucher for christmas!). Even though it'd be nice to be able to grind espresso I don't think I can really afford to splash out on something that can do it at this point in time, so I just need to be able to grind for pour over and press coffee.

This is one I've been looking at for a while and seems quite affordable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=468294

There's also Dualit, Bodum and Cuisinart ones that I've seen on there.

I can't comment on any of the others, but the Cuisinart is poo poo. Don't buy it. :colbert:

Mr N
Oct 20, 2010

Mr. Glass posted:

I can't comment on any of the others, but the Cuisinart is poo poo. Don't buy it. :colbert:

Oh dear, what problems did you have with it?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Mr. Glass posted:

I used the linked Cuisinart for a year or two. I'm not claiming that it's an amazing grinder but It was fine for French press, aeropress, and drip. It does leave some fines but you can kind of scoop around them for the most part. My biggest complaints were that it was a bit of a pain to clean and that the collection chamber seemed to suffer from electrostatic cling so you have to completely brush it out every time you use it. That said, if you can get it for a good price it seemed perfectly acceptable.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Mr N posted:

Oh dear, what problems did you have with it?

Uneven grind (worse than a good blade grinder). Static electricity everywhere. Impossible to get a coarse enough grind for a french press without producing 50% dust that clogs the filter. Impossible to get an even enough grind for espresso.

I'd take a Bodum blade mill over it any day. It looks like you can get them in the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003WT15TQ/.

In that price range, I might also suggest a Hario hand-crank mill, if you can get those in the UK.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
I have a question. My wife wants to use the Aeropress to make "lattes". Basically just make a small amount of the coffee and then dump the milk in it. I'm just wondering what the best way to heat up the Milk would be? We don't have anything other than an old drip machine and the new aeropress I bought last week and I have 0 desire to make a "latte" for myself.

Would it be worth it to get some sort of cheap-ish espresso style maker and just use the steamer it comes with to heat up the milk for her drinks? or is just filling a mug and putting in the microwave for a few minutes ok?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

smokmnky posted:

I have a question. My wife wants to use the Aeropress to make "lattes". Basically just make a small amount of the coffee and then dump the milk in it. I'm just wondering what the best way to heat up the Milk would be? We don't have anything other than an old drip machine and the new aeropress I bought last week and I have 0 desire to make a "latte" for myself.

Would it be worth it to get some sort of cheap-ish espresso style maker and just use the steamer it comes with to heat up the milk for her drinks? or is just filling a mug and putting in the microwave for a few minutes ok?

Nuke it in a press pot then use the plunger to rapidly froth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOmeJ9q4xX0

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you just nuke the milk without frothing it you can call it a cafe au lait.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You can make "decent" microfoam in a pinch using a Bodum turbo whipper thingie on some milk in a mug - then tossing it into the microwave for 30 seconds - then pour your hot coffee in.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Baratza has refurbished grinders back in stock. I ordered the last Virtuoso "with Preciso burr" they had, although the comparison sheet seems to indicate that the Virtuoso and Preciso use the same burr. Maybe I threw away :20bux:, but I'm so tired of the sludge in my press pot from a lovely Cuisinart grinder that I just don't care.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Loucks posted:

Baratza has refurbished grinders back in stock. I ordered the last Virtuoso "with Preciso burr" they had, although the comparison sheet seems to indicate that the Virtuoso and Preciso use the same burr. Maybe I threw away :20bux:, but I'm so tired of the sludge in my press pot from a lovely Cuisinart grinder that I just don't care.

I think the Virtuoso with preciso burr distinguishes between a newer version of the virtuoso which uses the preciso burrs and an older version which does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

I think the Virtuoso with preciso burr distinguishes between a newer version of the virtuoso which uses the preciso burrs and an older version which does not.

I see. Then I feel even better about my decision. The Vario-W is what I really want, but can't justify the price. I imagine any Baratza grinds at a more consistent speed than my Cuisinart though, which should minimize the guesswork.