Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
You found it! I was digging through old scans to track that one down - you are awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

For some reason, this is a film no one saw at the cinema, but are all buying on dvd /blu ray. Weird. Maybe its a Brit thing and everyone knows of dredd in one form or another.

Maybe the good word of mouth didn't travel fast enough during the cinema run, but now after months it's grown to a greater extent?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

BreakAtmo posted:

Maybe the good word of mouth didn't travel fast enough during the cinema run, but now after months it's grown to a greater extent?

This was the case for me, as I had zero expectations of the movie until I actually heard from people who saw it, at which point it had already left all the theaters in my area.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

e: Fuuuuck wrong thread

moths fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 23, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Another Person posted:

That is the best news you could hope for with this movie. Hopefully it pushes it over the 50$mil profits the movie needs for a sequel. I still need to buy my copy.

Considering studios at best break barely 60% from theater takes, they probably make a heap more on DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Download sales as well. The pricing for both disc versions is near identical so you can add 12/13 million to the revenue just off first week sales alone with the numbers their press release has.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, they could be ballistic armor, too. It is the future, after all. But yeah, the point of the suit is the same reason most other comic book movies forgo the skintight spandex - it looks kind of silly, which detracts from the gritty feel they're shooting for. Also, probably the stuntmen appreciate the protection.
Anderson is shot right through a 'plate' with (I think) a 9mm bullet at the end of the film, and Lex used an armour piercing round in order to penetrate the wall, not Dredd's armour. With that said, they put a lot of faith in the bullet-proof qualities of the helmet, so perhaps I'm wrong.

quote:

I know it's a Glock with a bunch of plant-ons on it. That might be one reason that the proportions are kind of awkward-looking. Especially that placement of the second magazine-looking thing in front of the trigger assembly.
That's true to the comics at least. There isn't really anywhere else a second magazine could go without significantly enlarging the weapon.

etalian posted:

I suppose the cheesy Stallone Dredd movie was in many ways much closer to the look of the comics and the wider range of colors.
I really don't want to have to watch the old one to check this, but I think you're right. Besides budget concerns, I think they really tried to distance themselves from the old film by having a completely new and more realistic aesthetic for Megacity One. I think it works pretty well though. This film is astonishingly colourful and amazingly well shot - the Slo-Mo scenes in particular are like comic book art.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

I really don't want to have to watch the old one to check this, but I think you're right. Besides budget concerns, I think they really tried to distance themselves from the old film by having a completely new and more realistic aesthetic for Megacity One. I think it works pretty well though. This film is astonishingly colourful and amazingly well shot - the Slo-Mo scenes in particular are like comic book art.

You can watch it on Youtube if you enjoy cheesy movies, if anything it serves as a amusing contrast the newer better executed movie.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

etalian posted:

You can watch it on Youtube if you enjoy cheesy movies, if anything it serves as a amusing contrast the newer better executed movie.
Oh, I have seen it - it was actually my first encounter with the Judge Dredd universe :-/ I thought it was okay at the time, but after reading some of the comics I realised the depths of my error... With a different script and cast(!) it could have been a pretty decent rendition of the original material.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The thing that stands out most to me about 95 dredd is the theme, which its totally badass but totally ill suited to the movie. It really seems like everyone involved thought they were kickstarting an epic sci fi franchise.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm starting to think the best joke in the film is in how Anderson spares that one guy, because she sees that he was forced to do bad things and is therefore a victim.

It shows how myopic she is - because which of the criminals wasn't forced into a lovely life of crime by their dire situation? But that one gesture nonetheless makes her instantly 'the good guy' to audiences, after killing/torturing her way through half the building.

I said this in the general chat thread, but I'm convinced there's a liberal and a pinko reading: the liberal sees Anderson as softly-softly revisionist, slowly moving the system into a more humane approach -- or at least a more efficient system needing less torture, 'collateral damage,' etc. (or is it more humane as a consequence of this?) -- whereas the pinko is more likely to say 'gently caress this, the system is hosed and any moralism atop it is contemptible fraud.'

Danger posted:

Dredd knows how to properly subdue an enemy hiding in a civilian population:

I find myself stunned that his argument is there's nothing all that brutal about Dredd since a Judge's standard 'area-of-effect attack' is white phosphorus. How do you miss the point by getting it?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kegluneq posted:

Oh, I have seen it - it was actually my first encounter with the Judge Dredd universe :-/ I thought it was okay at the time, but after reading some of the comics I realised the depths of my error... With a different script and cast(!) it could have been a pretty decent rendition of the original material.
There were parts of the original that were actually well done - Stallone actually wasn't bad as Dredd, but the helmet should have stayed on, the ABC Robot (Hammerstein) appearance was a nice nod, the colors were in keeping with the earlier comics, etc. On the other hand, the Judge Hershey "love interest" was crap and Rob Schneider as Fergie was just plain a dumb decision.

The sad thing is that Stallone had been trying to get a Dredd film made for a long time, but was waiting for the right script to come around - unfortunately for everyone, that one was the script he chose...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kegluneq posted:

That's true to the comics at least. There isn't really anywhere else a second magazine could go without significantly enlarging the weapon.

I said proportions, not overall placement. I just think the huge gap between the trigger and the second magazine makes it look like a fake gun and also sort of unbalances the design. It's not a big deal.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

I said this in the general chat thread, but I'm convinced there's a liberal and a pinko reading: the liberal sees Anderson as softly-softly revisionist, slowly moving the system into a more humane approach -- or at least a more efficient system needing less torture, 'collateral damage,' etc. (or is it more humane as a consequence of this?) -- whereas the pinko is more likely to say 'gently caress this, the system is hosed and any moralism atop it is contemptible fraud.'

I find myself stunned that his argument is there's nothing all that brutal about Dredd since a Judge's standard 'area-of-effect attack' is white phosphorus. How do you miss the point by getting it?
I definitely see Anderson's approach as the more 'humane, progressive' torture that can reach many more souls. It's not that the system will need less torture, but that the torture is, as you point at, less wasteful. Of course they'd pass her. So she is the liberal reformist in that sense.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Danger posted:

I definitely see Anderson's approach as the more 'humane, progressive' torture that can reach many more souls. It's not that the system will need less torture, but that the torture is, as you point at, less wasteful. Of course they'd pass her. So she is the liberal reformist in that sense.

Yeah, it's not torture, it's "enhanced interrogation".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Bah, did you see any waterboards? I think not. :colbert:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
A part of the American mythology (and also actual commie ideology) is that oppressive systems will, as historical inevitability, eventually crumble and be replaced by more just systems. I think this is not true, and so I think it's important to have convincing and nuanced portrayals of dystopias to underline the fragility and rarity of the American system (or at the very least, our idealized image of that system), and the viability of horrible dystopian systems. I don't think that it's harmful to "normalize" oppressive actions in the context of such portrayals - I think it's a good thing to show the parallels between real life and the fictional world, and I disagree that seeing something familiar in such a context serves to promote that thing, though it's of course going to be open to interpretation.

Of course, the alternative isn't totally ruled out, here. I wonder how much damage Dirty Harry and other movies which came out in reaction to the creation of the Miranda Doctrine did by promoting the narrative of "crooks get away because of legal loopholes babying criminals!"

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Cream_Filling posted:

A part of the American mythology (and also actual commie ideology) is that oppressive systems will, as historical inevitability, eventually crumble and be replaced by more just systems. I think this is not true, and so I think it's important to have convincing and nuanced portrayals of dystopias to underline the fragility and rarity of the American system (or at the very least, our idealized image of that system), and the viability of horrible dystopian systems. I don't think that it's harmful to "normalize" oppressive actions in the context of such portrayals - I think it's a good thing to show the parallels between real life and the fictional world, and I disagree that seeing something familiar in such a context serves to promote that thing, though it's of course going to be open to interpretation.

Of course, the alternative isn't totally ruled out, here. I wonder how much damage Dirty Harry and other movies which came out in reaction to the creation of the Miranda Doctrine did by promoting the narrative of "crooks get away because of legal loopholes babying criminals!"

I gotcha, I'm reading way too fast

VVV

Danger fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 23, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Danger posted:

I don't think it's promoting anything. Look at that "Nathan's Diner" sign.

When I talk of promotion, I'm talking specifically of Dirty Harry and other films that took place in context of the creation of Miranda and concerns over rising crime rates in major cities.

I specifically said that I don't think Dredd is promoting anything it portrays.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Payndz posted:

Arse, I was hoping they'd have the 'Dredd stares unreadably at a gang of burning perps' closeup shot at wallpaper size, but they didn't.

timg'd for huge table breaking.

How's that?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

That's an awesome picture, but it does draw attention to how goofy the Judge helmet is for actually seeing out of.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

jabby posted:

That's an awesome picture, but it does draw attention to how goofy the Judge helmet is for actually seeing out of.

Not that I know a ton about the technology of the universe or Dredd's comic backstory, but I, as the viewer, assume the following:

- There's an obscene amount of shielding built into the helmet and visor (hence why Anderson's abilities are seriously hampered by it)
- The helmet provides the wearer with a Heads Up Display-type overlay - they can target objects, get statistical readouts, etc.
- It's supposed to look large and imposing, just like the pads and armor - it makes the Judge look larger than they actually are.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
I do love how spindly Karl Urban looks at the start when he is out of his gear, it really reinforces that everything he is only exists when he is in his uniform, including his stature.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

massive spider posted:

The thing that stands out most to me about 95 dredd is the theme, which its totally badass but totally ill suited to the movie. It really seems like everyone involved thought they were kickstarting an epic sci fi franchise.

And also amusing from a theme point of view since a bombasic heroic theme really doesn't really capture why Dredd is so different than the standard superhero setup.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

The basis for the pinko stance is that there is very little antagonism between the 'fascist' Dredd and the 'liberal' Anderson. They are literally partners in a team, working great together.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

etalian posted:

And also amusing from a theme point of view since a bombasic heroic theme really doesn't really capture why Dredd is so different than the standard superhero setup.
It wouldn't have saved the '95 movie, but it's still a shame Jerry Goldsmith didn't do the entire score as originally planned rather than just the trailer. His take is more aggressive and percussive, with lots of clanging metal and rumbling bass drums, than Silvestri's brassy, generic “Here's our hero, bah-ba-bah-ba-baaaaah!" version.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Not that I know a ton about the technology of the universe or Dredd's comic backstory, but I, as the viewer, assume the following:

- There's an obscene amount of shielding built into the helmet and visor (hence why Anderson's abilities are seriously hampered by it)
- The helmet provides the wearer with a Heads Up Display-type overlay - they can target objects, get statistical readouts, etc.
- It's supposed to look large and imposing, just like the pads and armor - it makes the Judge look larger than they actually are.

Plus the way the helmet doesn't end up exploding into a billion fragments from a point blank shot with a High Explosive round. It just sort of deforms a bit.

Always assumed there was a HUD of some sort, especially given the chase scene at the beginning. Kinda like Stormtrooper helmets in Star Wars. Useless as poo poo for just wearing as a helmet for a costume, but as far as the "technology" goes, pretty badass with poo poo like internal/external coms, sensor packages, hell I think some of em even have sealing forcefields for space work.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Always assumed there was a HUD of some sort, especially given the chase scene at the beginning. Kinda like Stormtrooper helmets in Star Wars. Useless as poo poo for just wearing as a helmet for a costume, but as far as the "technology" goes, pretty badass with poo poo like internal/external coms, sensor packages, hell I think some of em even have sealing forcefields for space work.
I don't think the Dredd version has much more than vision enhancement, if that. He uses his forearm screen and mike for communications with Control after all.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They do establish that helmet HUD technology exists, as evidenced by that kid playing a video game. I wonder if we were going to get a Dredd's eye view shot and then they decided against it.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

moths posted:

They do establish that helmet HUD technology exists, as evidenced by that kid playing a video game. I wonder if we were going to get a Dredd's eye view shot and then they decided against it.
They probably wanted to avoid overdoing the Robocop parallels (as well as try to stop the audience from over-identifying with Dredd himself).

Minor thing that annoys me about the film, or at least the extras: they keep insisting that Slo-Mo slows the brain down to 1% of its normal speed. But that has to be the opposite of what's actually happening - if it just slowed down the mind then everyone on Slo-Mo would just lag behind everyone else visually...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kegluneq posted:

Minor thing that annoys me about the film, or at least the extras: they keep insisting that Slo-Mo slows the brain down to 1% of its normal speed. But that has to be the opposite of what's actually happening - if it just slowed down the mind then everyone on Slo-Mo would just lag behind everyone else visually...
I was thinking about this and the only explanation I can come up with is that while your reaction time remains at 100%, your brain is somehow interpreting things at 1% - in other words, time in general seems to slow, not just your time. This is the only way to explain how people who are on Slo-Mo are able to go from zero to sixty in a split second (the gang-banger in the van in the beginning of the movie.) But yeah, it's definitely a puzzling thing.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
I stumbled into the comic book thread for Dredd and now want every issue and volume of the comic turned into a movie with the same style of this movie and definitely not the Stallone version. I hope it never gets too big, because it's ability to be unassuming is what made it awesome. The actors weren't big blockbuster names, which meant they relied on their performance more than their name which usually makes a movie way better. I want like 24 more of these movies.

The soundtrack was awesome, and the experience feels like this years Drive.

One thing though, why did Dredd slo-mo mal-mal? That seems like some sort of corruption, the only thing that I didn't understand.

BreakAtmo posted:

I wanted to see it in theaters but it passed by before I could. I was in a "I'm not seeing movies" mood because I think I got burned by something stupid last time I went.

I really wish I would have seen it in IMAX 3D or whatever :smith: I feel bad that I didn't give it 2x tickets worth of money.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He gave her a taste of her own medicine. She had done exactly the same thing to the 3 thugs at the start of the movie

Plus it gave us the really cool slowfall

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Physical posted:

One thing though, why did Dredd slo-mo mal-mal? That seems like some sort of corruption, the only thing that I didn't understand.

Either for a sadistic eye for an eye torture while she meets her death sentence, or possibly to try and stop her freaking out hard and having some kind of fear induced heart attack halfway down and blowing the block up.

Or third option: because the slo-mo shots look cool as hell and it got us one more

E;f,b

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

DicksToAsses posted:

Either for a sadistic eye for an eye torture while she meets her death sentence, or possibly to try and stop her freaking out hard and having some kind of fear induced heart attack halfway down and blowing the block up.

Or third option: because the slo-mo shots look cool as hell and it got us one more
The eye for an eye part is what I think is corrupt and I didn't think Judges could do that. But whatever all of these make sense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Physical posted:

The eye for an eye part is what I think is corrupt and I didn't think Judges could do that. But whatever all of these make sense.

He claims he did it to make sure she was still alive so that her dead man switch could not go off

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was thinking about this and the only explanation I can come up with is that while your reaction time remains at 100%, your brain is somehow interpreting things at 1% - in other words, time in general seems to slow, not just your time. This is the only way to explain how people who are on Slo-Mo are able to go from zero to sixty in a split second (the gang-banger in the van in the beginning of the movie.) But yeah, it's definitely a puzzling thing.
I assume it hotwires the brain into operating a hundred times faster than normal, for a few seconds (albeit only the part that processes visual images and senses passage of time). Was that what you were saying? Their use of percentages is a bit confusing.

Physical posted:

It showed him being emotional... I think he makes a theme of ironic punishments in the comic, so it's not totally out of nowhere.

quote:

I really wish I would have seen it in IMAX 3D or whatever :smith: I feel bad that I didn't give it 2x tickets worth of money.
I think it's the only film I've seen to make totally appropriate use of 3D, so I'm glad I spent the extra there. 3D effects elsewhere have left me feeling cold.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It was so he could look down and say "yeah" while she was still staring up at him.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

berzerkmonkey posted:

The sad thing is that Stallone had been trying to get a Dredd film made for a long time, but was waiting for the right script to come around - unfortunately for everyone, that one was the script he chose...

Maybe the others were so much worse (:cry:). To me what was so bad about the first Dredd movie was the tone. It had that 90's cheesy humor for kids that was unbearable, scattered all over the film. Stallone himself was a good Dredd, in my opinion at least.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 24, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kegluneq posted:

I assume it hotwires the brain into operating a hundred times faster than normal, for a few seconds (albeit only the part that processes visual images and senses passage of time). Was that what you were saying? Their use of percentages is a bit confusing.
Yes- that is what I was trying to get at. you explained it more elegantly than I could.

Elentor posted:

Maybe the others were so much worse (:cry:). To me what was so bad about the first Dredd movie was the tone. It had that 90's cheesy humor for kids that was unbearable, scattered all over the film. Stallone itself was a good Dredd, in my opinion at least.
I agree - the goofy sidekick (Schneider) was what really kills the movie for me. I can get over the helmet and even the dumb love interest, but the Fergie character is the anchor in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Elentor posted:

Maybe the others were so much worse (:cry:). To me what was so bad about the first Dredd movie was the tone. It had that 90's cheesy humor for kids that was unbearable, scattered all over the film. Stallone himself was a good Dredd, in my opinion at least.

Another small plus is it had foxy Joan Chen in a minor henchman role.

• Locked thread