Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

quote:

Q7 Joene - Will housing get a much deserved revamp? #LOTRO
A7HoarseDev – This is also on the docket for later this year. We’re testing out some ideas now and we’ll see what shakes out. #LOTRO

Q20 @blackpuddings How about seasonal changes in the homesteads?
A20 AngryKoala It's something we'd like to do in both homesteads and major towns, but we'll have to see.

Two of my biggest wishes (housing update and neighborhoods changing based on the season) seem to be coming this year :woop:

quote:

Q36 @katabendroth Other classes don't have to give up DPS to survive, why do hunters have to do so? #LOTRO
A36 Hoarsedev With upcoming class changes ALL CLASSES will have some difficult choices.

This is kind of concerning, and sounds like a nerf to a lot of classes might be coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Everyone really needs to drink from the keg at the kinhouse. Make sure to read the buffs. It'll make all your dreams come true.

Also, no other game has tried my OCD about finishing all the quests like this one does. North Downs is killing me. So many fellowship quest chains.

must...not....abandon....quests....

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

That kin house is unsanitary.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Anyone else been having frequent "unexpected error, lotro must close, send error notice Y/N" issues since this week's update? I'm dropping out like once an hour.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

alucinor posted:

Anyone else been having frequent "unexpected error, lotro must close, send error notice Y/N" issues since this week's update? I'm dropping out like once an hour.

No issues here. Played for several hour stretches.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Midrena posted:

By the way, if anyone's been wanting that 6th inventory bag, it's in the weekly sale for 20% off (796 instead of 995).

Completely forgot this was considered storage. It's no universal wallet buy still worth it for pack rats. :toot:

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Rarity posted:

There's no yew branches anywere. Just ash. Ash as far as the eye can see. Expert woodworking and the instances are all I've got left to do before I get a quest pack and I want to make sure I've got them done before I move on :negative:

Try the North Downs near Esteldin, or Lake Evendim if you're feeling sassy.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
This came up just a couple pages back. Yew can be found in:

Breeland: Southern Barrow Downs and around the lake in the far northeastern corner.

LoneLands: Everything east of Weathertop except for GA and the swamp in the southeast.

North Downs: Fields of Fornost and everything east of the river that runs through the middle of the zone.

Evendim: Everywhere except the far side of the lake.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

This would be a great time for Turbine to do another double bonus TP sale, I'd buy tons of storage for all of my characters but I'm not buying the TP for it at the regular offering. Gimme 33k TP for $199 and I can max out my storage and buy every zone that I don't own, then I'll never have a reason to subscribe again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dammit Who? posted:

Try the North Downs near Esteldin, or Lake Evendim if you're feeling sassy.

Evendim seemed like it had more resource node density than North Downs to me. Especially once you move on to Dwarf Iron and Lebethron. That poo poo was everywhere. Farm it all and worse case scenario, you have stacks of resources to sell/trade/give to needy goons. May have just been my luck though, but Evendim seemed like the best for both tiers of wood/ore.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Chicken Run 2 starts shortly. Ventrillo is good for you!

noise.instantvent.com
Port: 13215
Password: I don't remember! Ask in game.

Goals: Ered Luin, Lone Lands, North Downs

If this will be your first visit, go to Sandson's Farm ASAP and get the preliminaries done. You're ready once you've completed "Flying the Coop - Shire". Sandson's Farm is north, northeast of the Michael Delving stables.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I think the password might be stairs? It's somewhere earlier in this thread.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
Yay, a new thread! I'll be on in another week guys, I've been super busy with school and what little gaming time I have has been used to clear out my GOG backlog.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, do I still need to register and make an invite post on the Nazgun forums? It seems to be full of... stuff? I don't even know what the crap it is. Was just wondering.

EDIT: Got my invite, all is well. Thanks gents.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 26, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I think the website is pretty much just ignored at this point.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hey guys, do I still need to register and make an invite post on the Nazgun forums? It seems to be full of... stuff? I don't even know what the crap it is. Was just wondering.

quote:

If you need help or have other questions: in game do a "/who nazgun" and change the max level to 85 on the search dialog that appears. Then send a message to any of those players.

Many of the main officers:
Hoboknife (kin leader)
Quinnon (deputy kin leader)
Electrocute
Mahuum

Just put your character name in your post and then find one of these dudes in-game. They'll get you sorted out.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Chicken Run 2 went off great, and we actually did all of the runs in a single evening. At one point there was 7 goons protecting 4 chickens! 9 new cloaks were distributed at the farm, tonight.

How much interest is there in a 3rd evening next week? I am inclined to call this round of getting people their Cloaks of the Cluck done.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Captain Backslap posted:

Chicken Run 2 went off great, and we actually did all of the runs in a single evening. At one point there was 7 goons protecting 4 chickens! 9 new cloaks were distributed at the farm, tonight.

How much interest is there in a 3rd evening next week? I am inclined to call this round of getting people their Cloaks of the Cluck done.

I'd like to give it a shot sometime but my Fridays are often booked and next week's is no exception. Would there be any interest in running it on a Sunday or something? (I'd volunteer but a) I've never done it before and b) I want chicken power too :()

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, after taking a break from MMOs after CoH dropped I decided to try to play this fun little MMO again. I decided to up and sub, but which of the expansions are worth getting?

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

BenRGamer posted:

So, after taking a break from MMOs after CoH dropped I decided to try to play this fun little MMO again. I decided to up and sub, but which of the expansions are worth getting?

Moria and almost everything after that requires an expansion, so you should just buy all of them if you want to reach max level by doing any quests besides just the book storyline ones. After Moria you can skip the Mirkwood expansion and go to Enedwaith instead, because they're both meant for levels 60-65. Mirkwood is better though, and the main storyline quest chain (if you care about that sort of thing) also leads you there after you're done with Moria.

Moria is by far the best one in my opinion and I think it also has the most content, although the newest one, Rohan, comes pretty close. Mirkwood is decent but Isengard was rather dull and felt like it was only paving the way for the Rohan expansion.

JStix
Apr 24, 2012
Do I have to complete the entirety of the "Vol. I" epic quest chain? I'm currently lv43 and haven't done any of them since ~lv20, but I plan on doing Vol. II in Moria. Am I about to have to do a butt-ton of grey quests?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Most people recommend doing them. Story wise, Turbine usually brings their "A Game" for the epics. Not only do they offer a lot of really cool story stuff, but the rewards are usually really good too. Granted, the rewards won't matter at the level difference you're talking about, but if you do them close to on-level they do. The Epics are free to everyone.

Look them up on lotro-wiki.com, and finish the ones in Eriador before you start in on the Moria ones.

Like I said, the rewards are good. Just last night I finished the one that links RoI with Great River and got a Worn Symbol of Celebrimbor for completing it. A previous one done in Enedwaith rewards a level 65 2nd Age LI.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
I'm getting really burned out on playing my captain because everything just seems to take so long to kill and if i get more than 2+ adds involved into the fight i might as well run because captains really aren't that tanky.

Would champion be a good choice if i want to kill things fast and not die if another mob jumps into the fight?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

LooKMaN posted:

I'm getting really burned out on playing my captain because everything just seems to take so long to kill and if i get more than 2+ adds involved into the fight i might as well run because captains really aren't that tanky.

Would champion be a good choice if i want to kill things fast and not die if another mob jumps into the fight?

Probably the best choice for that.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

LooKMaN posted:

I find on my 85 captain that it's not a problem to kill multiple adds as long as I put revealing mark up and focus fire so that one is going down regularly for a rally cry. Then again, my gear is pretty good (high crit rate) which gives me extra rally cries. When my gear wasn't as good, I had more problems. Captains are just so awesome in groups that I always recommend them if the person is close-ish to 85. Cappies are like your codependent friend. DPS? I can help with that. Healing? I can help with that, too. Tanking? Oh, yeah, I love to help the tank.

I also have a champ, so they're a good choice, too. Champs are also the most "in demand" dps for groups, because most instances have packs of adds for champs to mow down.

Also, hunters at 85 in the best gear kill significantly faster than champs similarly geared. I know several people who have stopped using their champ as their go-to daily doer and switched to doing dailies on their hunters. This hunter dominance is very recent (hunters go up and down in potency with each release, it seems.)

Darth Nemesis
Nov 11, 2003

I <3 majins,
omg disgaea fag

JStix posted:

Do I have to complete the entirety of the "Vol. I" epic quest chain? I'm currently lv43 and haven't done any of them since ~lv20, but I plan on doing Vol. II in Moria. Am I about to have to do a butt-ton of grey quests?
There's no Vol. I prerequisite for Vol. II, and their storylines aren't connected in any way, so feel free to jump over if you're already at Moria level and don't feel like being sent back and forth all over Eriador. The Moria quest rewards were redone after the stat revamp so they're way better than anything Vol. I has to offer.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Okay, so I bought the three pack from Steam that had everything but the Rohan expansion in it, is there anything in the Rohan expansion for levels lower than 80-85?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Not that I can think of. A fancy looking mount, I guess. Nothing substantial.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

BenRGamer posted:

Okay, so I bought the three pack from Steam that had everything but the Rohan expansion in it, is there anything in the Rohan expansion for levels lower than 80-85?

The Legendary edition gets you a sixth bag, war-steed cosmetics, character cosmetics, and a pocket item that will give you +25% experience for NPC kills (useable up to level 75).

Edit: unless some of those were preorder only.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Legendary edition doesn't exist anymore, though.

Edit: Well, it's at store.turbine.com at least. Lots of goons were reporting being unable to find it a week or two ago.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 26, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Captain Backslap posted:

Legendary edition doesn't exist anymore, though.

Edit: Well, it's at store.turbine.com at least. Lots of goons were reporting being unable to find it a week or two ago.

It's not on Steam or I think the in-game store, which is where I imagine most people were looking.

Edit: 70 bucks? Not worth it to me. Not even the heroic edition. If I buy it, which I might if I get a character close enough to level 80, it'll be the base edition.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 26, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

BenRGamer posted:

It's not on Steam or I think the in-game store, which is where I imagine most people were looking.

Edit: 70 bucks? Not worth it to me. Not even the heroic edition. If I buy it, which I might if I get a character close enough to level 80, it'll be the base edition.

Yeah, your best bet would be to wait for another Steam sale on the Heroic Edition, then just buy the bag yourself with TP. It was on sale for $20 at one point around Thanksgiving, I'm just waiting for them to bust out another sale in honor of the Hobbit's DVD release or something... hopefully soon, because I'm almost done with the Lone Lands and running out of quest content.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I'm really interested in the Loremaster class. The fluff is great, hanging out with animals and plants and stuff is p. chill, and on top it sounds like they fight mostly relying on debuffs and disablers, which is my favorite way. But Members of Community seem to consider them downright painful to play solo, which is somewhat discouraging (on the other hand, it also seems like most Members of Community aren't very good at video games). So, what is the future like for budding loremasters? Are you forever doomed to be a debuff bitch in groups, or can you do other things (this question not limited to groups)? And would you recommend the class to someone who played a probably-above-average druid for a few years in Warcraft?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Played my first instance today. I ran a few in WoW but never really felt like I knew what was going on, but playing as a hunter means I can see my surroundings and actually understand everything around me. It helps that I'm running at higher than 10fps too.

I only accidentally pulled aggro like, twice :smug:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Bobfly posted:

I'm really interested in the Loremaster class. The fluff is great, hanging out with animals and plants and stuff is p. chill, and on top it sounds like they fight mostly relying on debuffs and disablers, which is my favorite way. But Members of Community seem to consider them downright painful to play solo, which is somewhat discouraging (on the other hand, it also seems like most Members of Community aren't very good at video games). So, what is the future like for budding loremasters? Are you forever doomed to be a debuff bitch in groups, or can you do other things (this question not limited to groups)? And would you recommend the class to someone who played a probably-above-average druid for a few years in Warcraft?

Lore-masters are awesome. Play a lore-master.

(Content: They've got a bit of a skill cap, but oh my god is the payoff worth it. If you're solid on mezzing and kiting and things like that, soloing content is honestly pretty easy. As a long-time raiding WoW mage, the fact that their single-target mezz doesn't restore enemy HP is like, ohmygod good. Also an AoE mezz (albeit shorter in duration) that hits everything now (used to only work on the dead). And yeah, you have a ton of great debuffs. And good stuns. And okay ranged DPS. And okay melee DPS. And pets. Awesome pets. And some heals (but you can't really be a healer, unless that changes in Rohan?) And probably a lot more "ands." If you can handle the sheer amount of poo poo your class can do, lore-masters are phenomenal. Oh yeah, you also get to use a sword and a staff at the same time :black101:

Two disclaimers, though: 1) I have a Belkin n52 I use to play which makes the amount of buttons you need to use more manageable for me, so I don't know how they'd play without that. 2) I don't do group content very much, it's possible they're a much bigger pain in the rear end in groups. I do know that having precisely one loremaster in groups is pretty valuable, though. Most of their debuffs don't stack as far as I'm aware, hence why multiples can be a drag.)

Anyway, I've been playing this game off and on since August with a couple of friends. It's a whole lot of fun - it's basically my favorite version of World of Warcraft that isn't World of Warcraft. We just entered the mines of Moria this week, and it's been a whole lot of fun so far. I really like legendary items, too. There's nothing earth-shattering about how they work, really, but the personal touch of naming a weapon is really great. The rest of it is just a variation on socketed items, but whatever.

Alakaiser fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 27, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Screenies from Chicken Run Part Duex: The Cluckening!

Thus we set out for our first of the night!

THE MIGHTY RHEZ SHALL PROTECT US!

Our closest death of the night - Thwackin decided to go make friends >: (. Noone actually died though, despite his efforts.

Gee, I hope we have enough guards!

My last image of the night - as we get some people through to Trollshaws.

Also, an unrelated quest I did took me here. Just a short, fun little quest line that starts with riddles from Bilbo in Rivendell, and ends up getting into lore. The reason I took this screenshot - what the gently caress is up with that horribly lovely model on the floor? When the game launched were all models that bad? It looks like it's from EQ1.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Are there any good Captain guides?

I like the whole easy-to-solo self-sufficient melee/support with pets thing it has going for it, it's my second favorite class in any MMO, after Masterminds from City of Heroes.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

Are there any good Captain guides?

I like the whole easy-to-solo self-sufficient melee/support with pets thing it has going for it, it's my second favorite class in any MMO, after Masterminds from City of Heroes.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?454222-Ehefkae-s-Advice-On-Playing-the-Captain-Class&highlight=ehefkae is an awesome guide to all things captain.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

xZAOx posted:

Screenies from Chicken Run Part Duex: The Cluckening!

The reason I took this screenshot - what the gently caress is up with that horribly lovely model on the floor? When the game launched were all models that bad? It looks like it's from EQ1.

No, the models we have now are basically what was released with. Dourhand dwarves got touched up in a lot of areas, but I think most of the graphical improvements have been textures or shader gimmicks.

Some objects in the world are extremely low poly, though. Maybe that dude is some whipped together developer art that got missed during a polish pass. Or maybe that was some beta crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but to me the graphics look a lot better than at launch. They added a DX11 option a while back which made several things look a lot better. The game engine is old, but I still think the game is pretty.

• Locked thread