Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

5er posted:

And later this year it'll be announced to be Japan-only, Wii U direct download exclusive...

Only the 'Japan-only' part of that would bother me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is the WiiU region locked? I just realized I don't know.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is the WiiU region locked? I just realized I don't know.

It's a Nintendo platform sooooooooooooooo yes it is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

It's a Nintendo platform sooooooooooooooo yes it is.

Region locking a hand-held really was the lowest of the low.

Speaking of which, is that 3DS Samurai Warriors game any good?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Sakurazuka posted:

Region locking a hand-held really was the lowest of the low.

Speaking of which, is that 3DS Samurai Warriors game any good?

Despite making this thread I've never been a big fan of Samurai Warriors but I picked it up for the 3DS I got for Christmas, cause why not? I've actually had more fun with it than any of the other 3DS games I have. It's switching mechanic is surprisingly fun and the levels are designed around it. The only problem is friendship grinding but that's par for the course in modern Warriors games.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Belzac posted:

Despite making this thread I've never been a big fan of Samurai Warriors but I picked it up for the 3DS I got for Christmas, cause why not? I've actually had more fun with it than any of the other 3DS games I have. It's switching mechanic is surprisingly fun and the levels are designed around it. The only problem is friendship grinding but that's par for the course in modern Warriors games.

Seconded. I have a 250 hour savefile on that game, and that's all from playing on public transit or breaks on work. It's one of the few games that had touch-screen controls that felt intuitive and useful, as opposed to the shoehorned gimmicky bullshit with the Vita's DW:Next.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Probably the biggest thing for DW8 for me is learning about the new officers. I'm still having trouble remembering their names since all the sites are in Japanese :negative:

On the positive end, I've started reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms during my commute. I hope to finish it this time.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Oh Sun Jian, I knew there was a reason I loved you. :allears:

The video I'm really looking forward to is Lu Bu, with the return of the old Musou Attack style in the new Musou Rage or whatever it is, I'm hoping we get back Lu Bu's original one. Or at least Pang Tong's.

Upsetting that Zhuge Liang doesn't have his magic laser spam musou :(

Raserys fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 26, 2013

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Sakurazuka posted:

Only the 'Japan-only' part of that would bother me. :v:

Basically. I'm still irritated I'll never get a chance to play SW3 given that 2/2XL is my favorite Warriors game.

I've always liked that the characters in the SW games seem to have a little more personality to them as well. The Dynasty Warriors characters always seem a bit flat in comparison to guys like Shingen.

Suben fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 26, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Suben posted:

Basically. I'm still irritated I'll never get a chance to play SW3 given that 2/2XL is my favorite Warriors game.

Hey, hey, you could totally still play SW3... on Wii. Or you could just import SW3/SW3E on PS3 and play them with relative ease thanks to GameFAQs/Koei Warriors translation guides.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Raserys posted:

Oh Sun Jian, I knew there was a reason I loved you. :allears:

I love Jian but I hope they keep developing Quan instead of throwing him to the wayside whenever Ce and Jian are around.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Suben posted:

I've always liked that the characters in the SW games seem to have a little more personality to them as well. The Dynasty Warriors characters always seem a bit flat in comparison to guys like Shingen.
It helps that SW1 had a much smaller cast, so everyone stood out at least a little more, even if that was simply because the different archetypes each had less characters.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I knew I'd seen that expression on Zhuge Dan's face somewhere before :v:

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I'm getting back into the DW series and I have a couple dumb questions. The last DW game I played was 3, so it's been awhile. Should I play through all of vanilla 7 before starting XL? Or should I just pop in 7 to get a save file, then jump to XL and do everything there? I got out of the series before all this expansion stuff started so I don't know how it works exactly. Is the original DW7 content included with XL, or is it just the extra weapons and people, etc?

Second dumb question, what's the preferred English translation of the "Three Kingdoms" novel? I had the two volumes of this version, but all the names were slightly different from the DW translations so it threw me off. Guan Yu is called Kuan Yu, for example. It's not huge, but having to remember hundreds of slight variations of names was a bit much. If it's the best available version I guess I can deal with it, but I'd like to be lazy and just have the names be the same.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Static Rook posted:

I'm getting back into the DW series and I have a couple dumb questions. The last DW game I played was 3, so it's been awhile. Should I play through all of vanilla 7 before starting XL? Or should I just pop in 7 to get a save file, then jump to XL and do everything there? I got out of the series before all this expansion stuff started so I don't know how it works exactly. Is the original DW7 content included with XL, or is it just the extra weapons and people, etc?

Second dumb question, what's the preferred English translation of the "Three Kingdoms" novel? I had the two volumes of this version, but all the names were slightly different from the DW translations so it threw me off. Guan Yu is called Kuan Yu, for example. It's not huge, but having to remember hundreds of slight variations of names was a bit much. If it's the best available version I guess I can deal with it, but I'd like to be lazy and just have the names be the same.

DW7:XL is an expansion in the truest sense. It adds content but does not itself contain the vanilla content. That said there are some benefits if you pick up both at the same time (getting to see the new characters in story mode, being able to use them in conquest, free mode, higher difficulties) but generally the best route would be to get 7 and if you get to the end and still really like it get XL. Remember that XL is exclusive to PS3.

As for Three Kingdoms the best non-digital form is the Moss-Roberts version. This is the copy I read and it's pretty good with lots of footnotes if you're into that stuff. There is a free version of the text online that is available here: http://threekingdoms.com/

It's suppose to be a combination of the prose from the version you read with the updated names. The worst part is the comments to the right of all the text but if you can ignore them then this is a fine alternative.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So, who's this guy? I think I like the look of him. And he's a spear user, so that's a plus.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

So, who's this guy? I think I like the look of him. And he's a spear user, so that's a plus.

Another Dynasty Warriors pretty boy, that's for sure.

Japanese users are always complaining about DW's sky high pretty boy ratio, even compared to other Japanese games.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

PureRok posted:

That's Wen Yang. He's a late Wei/Jin general who was involved in most of the rebellions that took place during the end of Wei. He was compared to Zhao Yun in terms of military prowess. I think Koei went a little far in this comparison by making him even look a lot like Zhao Yun and giving him a spear. I don't think he's any more a pretty boy than any other character but the Japanese fans have to know that a large portion of the user base are fangirls right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Belzac posted:

That's Wen Yang. He's a late Wei/Jin general who was involved in most of the rebellions that took place during the end of Wei. He was compared to Zhao Yun in terms of military prowess. I think Koei went a little far in this comparison by making him even look a lot like Zhao Yun and giving him a spear. I don't think he's any more a pretty boy than any other character but the Japanese fans have to know that a large portion of the user base are fangirls right?
Yeah, there is that, but like I said it's endemic across Japanese games, even ones that don't have very many female fans. It leads people to speculate that lots of Japanese devs just plain don't know how to make any other kind of character.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

To be fair, pretty sure Han Dang makes up for most of the pretty boys:

Selane
May 19, 2006

The GIG posted:

dong zhuo.jpg

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Belzac posted:

<snip good info>

Thanks! Yeah, I'll probably just get 7 for now then pick up XL later. Reading the OP, it looks like they don't bother with English voices anymore, that's a bummer. Playing splitscreen and laughing at the terrible voicework was part of the charm, but eh, I can see why they'd cut it.

I also ordered that 4 volume set of the novel, hooray for Amazon giftcards! Too bad none of the sellers were Prime eligible, I've gotten spoiled by free shipping.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, there is that, but like I said it's endemic across Japanese games, even ones that don't have very many female fans. It leads people to speculate that lots of Japanese devs just plain don't know how to make any other kind of character.

See: Squenix forcing Vaan into FFXII as a replacement main character to Balthier, pissing off Yasumi Matsuno to the point he left and wrote Madworld for Platinum Games.

I'm not hating 6 so far, but holy poo poo does trying to power through every Musou mode get annoying. Are there any Musou mode characters I need to do something special to unlock besides just playing through the rest?

Also, Kessen II is surprisingly not completely terrible gameplaywise, at least from a conceptual level. The AI is pants on head stupid though, and the levels are all really simple so far.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Static Rook posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I'll probably just get 7 for now then pick up XL later. Reading the OP, it looks like they don't bother with English voices anymore, that's a bummer. Playing splitscreen and laughing at the terrible voicework was part of the charm, but eh, I can see why they'd cut it.

I also ordered that 4 volume set of the novel, hooray for Amazon giftcards! Too bad none of the sellers were Prime eligible, I've gotten spoiled by free shipping.
Don't worry, 7 still has the awesome English dub, it's only Warriors Orochi 3 that doesn't.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Urdnot Fire posted:

Don't worry, 7 still has the awesome English dub, it's only Warriors Orochi 3 that doesn't.

XL also has English VO. These might be the end for it though SW:C, WO3, 7 Empires, Pirate Warriors, and Ken's Rage 2 all won't/don't have English VO. The only hope we have for getting the cast back is 8 but I don't think that's much of a chance.

Also one of the advantages of XL Static Rook is that you can play the whole thing split screen again. They removed it from the original release for some reason.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The thing is that 7's English voice acting was at that point where they were still getting bits wrong (most noticeably zhong) but had gotten down the basics pretty damned well... it wasn't completely on yet not so off as to be hilarious.

The GIG posted:

For all the jokes about Wu as the pretty boy kingdom in the day, they were actually relatively balanced out even before 7 thanks to Sun Jian and Huang Gai; it's Jin that took the title away, and I thought these Tumblr jokes were actually pretty funny in context... though I'd add that the "second generation" themes of 7 and 8 just gave even more of an excuse for every kingdom (two words: Guan family) to get their share.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can perfectly believe this about both Japanese and American/Canadian/European devs alike.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

Earlier last year for the anniversary Koei said they were making a Samurai Warriors 4.

From last page, but they also said that it should be coming out March of next year.

What bums me out is the lack of news for another Dynasty Warriors Gundam. I'm wondering if DWG3 flopped too hard and they just aren't going to do any more.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Belzac posted:

XL also has English VO. These might be the end for it though SW:C, WO3, 7 Empires, Pirate Warriors, and Ken's Rage 2 all won't/don't have English VO. The only hope we have for getting the cast back is 8 but I don't think that's much of a chance.
Next also has English voices.

:unsmith: I missed English Lu Bu.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chortles posted:

I can perfectly believe this about both Japanese and American/Canadian/European devs alike.
Yeah, but Western game protagonists usually look a little bit...rougher. Like, someone who has actually seen combat.

But you're right, the range of characters that are permitted to be a major character in a game is usually very narrow no matter where you are.

edit: on the other hand though, DW has so many characters that they can have at least one for pretty much every taste.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jibo posted:

From last page, but they also said that it should be coming out March of next year.

What bums me out is the lack of news for another Dynasty Warriors Gundam. I'm wondering if DWG3 flopped too hard and they just aren't going to do any more.

Was it a flop? I never heard that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

See: Squenix forcing Vaan into FFXII as a replacement main character to Balthier, pissing off Yasumi Matsuno to the point he left and wrote Madworld for Platinum Games.

Hey, wait, wasn't Basch supposed to be the main character in 12? He's Luke after all, and FF12 is literally Star Wars.

Balthier's like Han Solo, because he's a dashing rogue with an airship and hangs out with a furry.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

To be honest, I kind of hope they add a few more women this time, like they did in DW7.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Another Dynasty Warriors pretty boy, that's for sure.

Japanese users are always complaining about DW's sky high pretty boy ratio, even compared to other Japanese games.
You know it's bad when even Japan is complaining.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, but Western game protagonists usually look a little bit...rougher. Like, someone who has actually seen combat.
Case in point: Nier.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Nier was a blatant case of "Japanese devs and what they believe Americans want to play as"... to the point that, quoting Sankaku Complex (COMPLETELY NSFW): "Square Enix actually made two games rather than have to risk releasing an insufficiently masculine lead to supposedly testosterone loving American audiences."...

quote:

Yoko: At first we were just doing the youthful protagonist version (which became “Replicant”), but Square Enix started taking talking about international markets during development.
Yoko: In fact, an argument erupted at Square Enix’s Los Angeles studio, over whether a thin looking male character [hereafter translated as “girly”] was possible for the game. For the North American consumers, it was decided to provide a macho main.
Yoko: A heated discussion ensued once the American and European staff were gathered to discuss it. It was said that “A slender and girly protagonist like this couldn’t possibly swing a huge sword like that, it’s ridiculous.” Certainly, if you look at American games it’s always muscle bound mains who look like they play American football.
Saito: We thought that as it’s a new IP, it really must sell, and we were persuaded [by the Japanese staff’s desire to make a girly lead] – we opted to leave the Japanese version with the girly character, and instead make two different versions.
Saito: We did realize that not all international audiences are the same though – it was thought that Replicant [the girly version] might be suitable for the French, as they have a greater appreciation of Japanese culture.
Yoko: That meeting was pretty amazing. A lot of people were arguing for making only the macho old guy version for cost reasons, and we [the Japanese developers] were saying “But if we don’t make a girly version we’ll lose heart and it’ll take even longer.”
Then again, same industry where they had a panel about "American video game design 101 for Japanese devs" panel in 2010... quoting because the link is Sankaku Complex and thus completely NSFW:

quote:

The importance of “believability” is strongly emphasised in the North American market.
Why are American characters always older guys? This can be explained with reference to “believability.”
For a protagonist who triumphs against adversity to be believable in the eyes of players, they want him to be tough and highly experienced.
This isn’t limited to characters – in “Fallout 3″ you see the example of Nuka Cola, which gives health when drunk but also poisons the body with radiation. At first this doesn’t seem realistic at all, but when you consider the setting is post-apocalyptic it becomes “believable.”
Also from 2010, a Fallout: New Vegas ad mocking JRPG cliches (SFW).

I don't forget that Americans had also weird-rear end views of 1980s Japan when trying to "catch up to Japan", but the boldfaced part still strikes me as :psyduck:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

TTBF posted:

Was it a flop? I never heard that.

I have no idea how well it sold but the reviews were pretty bad. Even for a musou game.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

To be honest, I kind of hope they add a few more women this time, like they did in DW7.

We've seen pretty much the whole cast at this point and the only new female characters are Zhang Chunhua (Sima Yi's wife) for Jin and Guan Yinping (Guan Yu's daughter) for Shu. I'd assume XL you can probably count on one of Lu Lingqi (Lu Bu's daughter) or Ma Yunlu (Ma Chao's sister/Zhao Yun's wife). If they ever actually do the fall of Wu there's at least one no brainer add in Sun Luban, one of Sun Quan's daughters who was basically a conniving mega-bitch and was heavily involved in a lot of the political stuff that wound up screwing Wu up big time after Sun Quan's death. You could probably also throw her sister, Sun Luyu, in there to act as a counterpoint too.

And it's kind of funny that for all the pretty boys Jin has it's actually Wang Yuanji that's the most popular character from that faction and, I think, the entire series. Of course given that she's pure, 100% otakubait that's not really surprising.

Suben fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 27, 2013

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Static Rook posted:

I don't think anyone else mentioned this so I figured it was worth noting: If you're the type who cares about trophies, know that you can't obtain DW7's trophies while playing XL with an imported save. You can still go back and play your DW7 save by plopping the vanilla DW7 disc in and playing it as normal, but it will be at exactly the state (w/r/t story progression, character progression, unlocks, conquest mode etc.) it was before you imported it into XL. Therefore, as far as trophies are concerned, make sure you get any (or all) trophies you care about in DW7 before you jump into XL.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Suben posted:

We've seen pretty much the whole cast at this point and the only new female characters are Zhang Chunhua (Sima Yi's wife) for Jin and Guan Yinping (Guan Yu's daughter) for Shu. I'd assume XL you can probably count on one of Lu Lingqi (Lu Bu's daughter) or Ma Yunlu (Ma Chao's sister/Zhao Yun's wife). If they ever actually do the fall of Wu there's at least one no brainer add in Sun Luban, one of Sun Quan's daughters who was basically a conniving mega-bitch and was heavily involved in a lot of the political stuff that wound up screwing Wu up big time after Sun Quan's death. You could probably also throw her sister, Sun Luyu, in there to act as a counterpoint too.

And it's kind of funny that for all the pretty boys Jin has it's actually Wang Yuanji that's the most popular character from that faction and, I think, the entire series. Of course given that she's pure, 100% otakubait that's not really surprising.
Didn't Meng Huo and Zhurong have a daughter, too?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

U.T. Raptor posted:

Didn't Meng Huo and Zhurong have a daughter, too?

Yes and she married Guan Suo. I wonder if she'll ever show up and have a fued with Bao Shanning.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Belzac posted:

Yes and she married Guan Suo. I wonder if she'll ever show up and have a fued with Bao Shanning.

It seems really inevitable now that they're out of Guan children as far as bullshit Shu adds over more deserving people (i.e. Liao Hua and Fa Zheng) go. Watch them throw her in 8XL or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

In all honesty I hope the Dynasty Warriors series ends at 9 and then we move on to Warriors of the Eight Princes, because with Jin in and Jia Chong now being introduced, there's only so long they can hold off on pulling the trigger on Sima Yan ending everything and Jia Nanfeng coming in and touching off the next conflict.

Then again, we went 6 installments before they actually brought in the guys who ended this poo poo so who knows when we'll see that? :v: