Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Ahahaha, am I seeing it right? Is that a rack full of suits like the fatcats always wear? The blue pinstripe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

:ughh:
His popular went up 3 points. It looks like this.

I think those are the ratigns for the parties as a whole. The personal popularity of the leaders is:

quote:

Cameron extends lead over EdM to 10% in YouGov’s best PM rating. He’s 33, EdM 23(-2), Clegg 7 (+2)
At least, according to YouGov.

All the Express cartoons are fantastically lovely though. They aren't even funny and don't seem to make any attempt to be so.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Ahahaha, am I seeing it right? Is that a rack full of suits like the fatcats always wear? The blue pinstripe?

Ahahaha yeah, I missed that aswell! :psyduck:

Zephro posted:

I think those are the ratigns for the parties as a whole. The personal popularity of the leaders is:

At least, according to YouGov.

All the Express cartoons are fantastically lovely though. They aren't even funny and don't seem to make any attempt to be so.

Yeah true, ah gently caress missed the personal YouGov poll, was hunting around but couldn't seem to come across a personal one rather then just the Tories. :negative:

Still hate the cartoon as it says "It's because he sounds like a true tory leader", which I'm pretty sure if they're talking about what the tories class as the last 'true tory leader' being Thatcher, he wanted us in the EU. :shepface: Unless he just means sounds like a true leader to tory voters, which I guess he might be since Cameron use to be in PR. :negative:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 28, 2013

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Are those meant to be missing marbles all over the floor or is it a better joke than that?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Broken abacuses.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

goatface posted:

Broken abacuses.
Oops, of course. Thanks.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

I think it's ol' Roop looking through the window on the right.

Anyone know what the dead goldfish(?) is in the bottom right corner behind the chair?

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Nigel Farage has an ugly mug ready primed for cartoons.

Fluo posted:

I love the ACME Sloth Gym! :3:

I'm going to crop that for my YLLS thread.

A Sloth fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 28, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hockney - A bigger splash.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

All the cartoons seem related to the highspeed rail.

HS2: High-speed rail route phase two details announced
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21221828

Guardian:

The government says the first major railway line to be built north of London since Victorian times will create 100,000 jobs.

Telegraph:

Daily Mail:

quote:

“One good thing. You don’t have to drive to the station any more.”
Hurf Durf

Daily Express:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 29, 2013

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

What does everyone make of the Gerald Scarfe cartoon that has caused a stir today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21239917

This article has the cartoon, although it missing the caption:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4338264,00.html

Fluo
May 25, 2007

GTO posted:

What does everyone make of the Gerald Scarfe cartoon that has caused a stir today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21239917

This article has the cartoon, although it missing the caption:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4338264,00.html

Its a good cartoon. They complain about cartoons against right wing Israelis a lot but Murdoch is just default pro israel on any issue and I guess he is in a lot of poo poo already (Leveson) he is trying to keep some allies.

This group is one of the ones which complain all the time about them.

They complained about this cartoon by Steve Bell.

quote:

Bell's cartoons often feature grotesque characters, and have sometimes caused controversy. During the November 2012 Israel/Gaza conflict The Guardian published Bell's cartoon showing the Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, as a puppet master controlling William Hague and Tony Blair. It was asserted by Dave Rich blogging for the Community Security Trust that the illustration was comparable to those featured in Nazi and other anti-semitic publications. While Bell defended his cartoon, 29 complaints had been received by the UK's Press Complaints Commission a week after the cartoon's publication. The newspaper's readers' editor Chris Elliott concluded in an article on 25 November: "While journalists and cartoonists should be free to express an opinion that Netanyahu is opportunistic and manipulative, in my view they should not use the language – including the visual language – of antisemitic stereotypes."

Editor's article.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/25/accusations-of-antisemitism-political-cartoon

quote:

The readers' editor on… accusations of antisemitism against a political cartoon
The image of Jews as puppet masters is an antisemitic theme. But does that mean Israeli politicians should never be portrayed using such imagery, when other countries' politicians often are?[...]

The Supreme Court (the goon user) posted:

The whole charade was completely ridiculous. A lot of the comments were complaining that Steve Bell had drawn an anti-semitic cartoon because, aside from the puppets, there was deliberate over-use of the Star of David and under-use of the Menorah, i.e. criticising Bibi for being Jewish rather than Israeli.

Whoops:

However with the Scarfe one I understand a bit with the timing as it was on the Holocaust Memorial Day but I'm thinking thats a bit of a grey area. If it was posted any other week it wouldn't have made the news about the complaints.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 29, 2013

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

The BBC covered both this and the scandal of the MP (regrettably) referring to 'the Jews' as he criticised Israel. Neither explored anything to do with actual apartheid and persecution against the Palestinians. The latter only deigned to point out that the MP stood by his criticism of Israeli crimes late in the day.

Both of these things just blindly report that something 'unfortunate' has happened, a bunch of people apologising and getting outraged, but don't at all explore why Gerald Scarfe or that MP wanted to criticise Israel.

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Fluo posted:

I love the ACME Sloth Gym! :3:

Not to mention the floor littered with broken abacuses and the hall-of-mirrors mirror emblazened with BEHOLD THE STATESMAN.

Epic.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

Could you stop posting these? I can't stop myself looking, and every time I do I'm staring into some kind of mediocrity singularity. I could literally draw better cartoons than these.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

The government says the first major railway line to be built north of London since Victorian times will create 100,000 jobs.

Cameron's tip coming out of his hat is perfectly disturbing.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

Heh, Osborne's face in this is great. Cartoonists seem to be very good at capturing his vileness in general.

And the Scarfe thing is a case of unfortunate timing but unless you're one of those people who thinks criticism of Israel is inherently anti-Semitic there's nothing to discuss really.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

BastardySkull posted:

The BBC covered both this and the scandal of the MP (regrettably) referring to 'the Jews' as he criticised Israel. Neither explored anything to do with actual apartheid and persecution against the Palestinians. The latter only deigned to point out that the MP stood by his criticism of Israeli crimes late in the day.

Both of these things just blindly report that something 'unfortunate' has happened, a bunch of people apologising and getting outraged, but don't at all explore why Gerald Scarfe or that MP wanted to criticise Israel.

What really pisses me off is the double standard. After the massacre in Norway, it was very common to see the right openly say things like 'obviously we condemn the murders but nonetheless it raises important questions about multiculturalism blah blah blah.' Whereas re: Israel even something like this swallows criticisms beneath vague 'controversy.'

Imagine the shitfest if a leftist said, after a successful terrorist attack, 'nonetheless it raises important questions about Israel's policy.'

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

Not to mention the floor littered with broken abacuses and the hall-of-mirrors mirror emblazened with BEHOLD THE STATESMAN.

Epic.

Nick Clegg has made his bed as well.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

I have to say that this is the first Telegraph cartoon that I can ever remember laughing at. And is that a little tip I spot on top of Cameron's head?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Holy gently caress..... where the hell is this going to go? :flashfap:
As an American I'm not sure I understand the message here, but that last panel is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a political cartoon. "POOP! POOP!" "PARP! PARP" :3:

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Presto posted:

As an American I'm not sure I understand the message here, but that last panel is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a political cartoon. "POOP! POOP!" "PARP! PARP" :3:

In the interests of cultural awareness and brotherly sharing, I should like to point out to you (in case you didn't already catch it), that this is a reference to The Wind in The Willows, in which a character called Toad (a toad) - represented naturally by Nigel Farage (another toad) in this cartoon, falls in love with the idea of owning a "motor car" after almost being run down by one.

It's worth a read if you've never bothered.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Zephro posted:

Could you stop posting these? I can't stop myself looking, and every time I do I'm staring into some kind of mediocrity singularity. I could literally draw better cartoons than these.

Are you willing to :toxx: on that?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

drat it, did quite a big write up of the Newsnight part today which was talking about the Scarfe cartoon and others which are critical of Israel but then my phone crashed. Which I was writing when listening / writing, so this is about 40minutes after seeing it and having to use memory after a long day.

Disclaimer: I must have missed some stuff out which I know I have from the write up I lost and I am not trying to be misleading if I missed a point said by any of the interview. Just can't rewatch it yet since its not up on iplayer yet or youtube. Came in after watching a football match and turned the TV on, didn't plan on seeing the interview as I didn't know it was going to be on. I was going to delete it and wait for it to come up on iplayer / youtube but the effort I thought I'll just leave it. I know I have forgotten somethings they've talked about but can't think of what it is, tried to cover as much as I could remember.

Anyway tonight on Newsnight they had 2 Jews on (and then after they talked they did a 1 to 1 with the Israel ambassador to Britain, Daniel Taub). One from the British Cartoon Archive, Tim Benton. The other was a Journalist for The Times and The Spectator, Hugo Rifkind. Both agreed the Scarfe cartoon was not anti-semitic. They also touched on Dan Brown's cartoon from 10 years ago or so about baby eating and also talked about the one with Steve Bell. With the Steve Bell one Hugo Rifkind said it was anti-semitic because of the over use of the star of David (which Kirsty Wark pointed out was based on a real photo with a lot of Israeli flags behind him but Steve Bell drew them as missiles) but then they talked about the whole puppet master idea. They both touched on blood libel and how because of the history it is really hard to do a cartoon of anything to do with Israel without outcries from some Jews.

Then was the 1 to 1 with Daniel Taub, which was painful to watch as he was pretty much saying (or how it came across to me) any criticism of Israel in a political cartoon isn't anti-semitic but at the same time is wrong and shouldn't have been published as it was offensive because of the history and talked about images of Jews holding knifes covered in blood. I am finding it quite upsetting a lot of the time Daniel Taub is on TV he is calling someone anti-semitic and when not he is outraged at criticism of Israel (in recent times he has stopped default calling stuff anti-semitism but still hints at it), which devalues the term and when there is real anti-semitism its like the boy who cried wolf, like with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad denying the holocaust and saying kill all the Jews.

All in all from what I remember I agreed with Tim Benton.

Newsnight tweet after the interview.
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/296391269519876096

quote:

Gerald Scarfe's cartoon clearly echoes images that were used to vilify jews says Daniel Taub, Israeli Ambassador to the UK on #newsnight

Already its got some good replies like from Barry Sheerman MP (Labour).
https://twitter.com/BSheermanMP/status/296393981833658369

quote:

@BBCNewsnight I have to say I trust Gerald Scarfe more than his critics normally @BBCLookNorth

and Baroness Hussein-Ece (Lib-Dem).
https://twitter.com/meralhece/status/296391103358320640

quote:

So #Newsnight - not a single Palestinian spokesperson. But ok, cause according to Hugo Rifkind 'only 172 Palestinians killed in last year'

I'll check in the morning and if I find the video of this Newsnight I'll post it if someone else hasn't already found it. For UK goons the whole Newsnight will be up on iplayer in an hour or so, its after the Mali part but before the part about plastic in the oceans and the effects of it on animals.

Martin Rowson did an article today on it aswell. I've tried to bold parts of it but I ended up bolding 90% of the article, just read the whole thing. It's interesting.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2013/jan/29/scarfe-netanyahu-cartoon-offensive-hurrah

quote:

Scarfe's Netanyahu cartoon was offensive? That's the point
The fact that Murdoch felt the need to apologise for Gerald Scarfe's cartoon demonstrates the form's enduring power

I greeted news of Rupert Murdoch's apology for an allegedly antisemitic cartoon by Gerald Scarfe in the Sunday Times with a sigh of deep weariness. But before we get up to our oxters in the guts of my foul craft, let's pick some of the bones out of this latest scandal. Note, first, that Murdoch's apology was to Binyamin Netanyahu personally, as one member of the global elite showing solidarity to another. Remember, also, that Bibi is a favourite posterboy for Murdoch's brand of neo-conservative cheerleading.

As to Scarfe's cartoon specifically, it seems to me almost identical to every other blood-spattered pictorial lament for man's inhumanity to man he's knocked out over the past 40 years. Except in this case, because of the subject matter and the timing – on Holocaust memorial day – the trademark Scarfean gore could, if you chose, have wider ramifications. And so it has proved.

If, like me and other cartoonists, you've produced cartoons critical of the actions of the state of Israel and then received thousands of emails, most of which read "gently caress off you antisemitic oval office", you tend to get a bit jaded. But over the years I've received similar responses – and worse, including death threats – from Muslims, Catholics, US Republicans, US Democrats, Serbs, atheists and the obese, as well as from supporters of Israel. After a while, the uniformity of the response can tempt you into thinking that this is all contrived and orchestrated, and certainly a lot of it is.

But then again, you may know that the standard complaint – "This is the most disgracefully antisemitic cartoon to be published since the closure of Der Stürmer" – can only be made because Julius Streicher's foul Nazi rag regularly published the vilest antisemitic cartoons imaginable, which prepared the ground for and then cheered on the greatest crime in human history. In the long shadow of the Holocaust, perhaps it's just about understandable – if not forgivable – that each time I drew Ariel Sharon, a fat man with a big nose, as being fat and having a big nose, it was therefore considered reasonable for me to be equated with mass murderers.

The responses, though, probably have more to do with the nature of the medium than its content. Visual satire is a dark, primitive magic. On top of the universal propensity to laugh at those in power over us, cartoons add something else: the capacity to capture someone's likeness, recreate them through caricature, and thereby take control of them. This is voodoo – though the sharp instrument with which you damage your victim at a distance is a pen. None of this is benign. It's meant to ridicule and demean, and almost all political cartooning is assassination without the blood.

But add to that the way we consume this stuff and you get the perfect recipe for offence. In newspapers, cartoons squat like gargoyles on top of the columns, and while you nibble your way through the columnists' prose for several minutes, you swallow the cartoon whole in seconds. The internet has also changed things. British cartoonists find their work being consumed, via the web, by people in nations who haven't had more than 300 years of rude portrayals of the elite.

When Steve Bell and I first had our cartoons for the Guardian published online, many Americans would recoil in horror at our depictions of their president. Steve and I got many emails pointing out that Bush was their head of state, deserved some respect, and then asked if we'd ever depict our royal family in the same disgraceful way.

At that point, of course, you pull back the curtain on Gillray's depictions of George III making GBS threads on the French fleet. Indeed, in the mid-1780s, the French ambassador warned Versailles that Britain was teetering on the verge of another revolution, 150 years after they'd last cut off their king's head. His evidence? The kiosks stretching down the Strand, all selling satirical prints depicting the royals in the most disrespectful and disgusting ways imaginable.

That he was wholly wrong should, perhaps, give the armies of the offended pause, even if other cartoons – like the filth in Der Stürmer – have misused the voodoo.

You need, in the end, to apply the simple acid test for satire – as well as journalism: does it comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable? True, the Nazis used cartoons, but so has everyone else, from Stalin's Soviet Union to Iran today.

Iran countered the Danish Mohammed cartoons with their own joking about the Holocaust. But that's not satire, because state-sponsored satire is the ultimate oxymoron.

And speaking of Nazis, Hitler was a huge fan of the Evening Standard's David Low. The Express cartoonist Carl Giles, then a war cartoonist, was given a Luger as a souvenir by the Commandant of Belsen after its liberation because the man was a huge fan of his cartoons. Of course, after Hitler got into power and Low started, beautifully, to take the piss, Low, along with his cartooning colleagues Illingworth, Vicky and even Heath Robinson, was placed on the Gestapo's deathlist. (In fact, Vicky got it from all directions: a cartoon for Beaverbrook's Evening Standard in the 1950s calling for the abolition of the death penalty so enraged a doctor in Harrow that he wrote to the paper lamenting the fact that Vicky and his family managed to escape from Nazi Germany 25 years earlier.)

Which gets us back to Scarfe. As the Israeli paper Haaretz has already observed (arguing the cartoon isn't antisemitic at all), if Scarfe had spent the last 50 years solely offending Israel, his critics might have a point. The fact is, he, like the rest of us, is there to offend everyone.

https://twitter.com/MartinRowson/status/296351014238449664

quote:

Incidentally, if you've found various things I've written about #Scarfegate, please bear in mind I'm not a fan -& doubt he'd support me much

When it is up on iplayer it should be this link.

quote:

How long will British troops be in Mali? The cartoon that is either anti-semitic or anti-Netanyahu. Plus new childcare benefits, plastic pollution and award-winning novelist Hilary Mantel.

In-depth investigation and analysis of the stories behind the day's headlines with Kirsty Wark.

Guardian:

Telegraph:

Daily Mail:

quote:

Ex soldiers working for Councils in the UK are handing out £80 0n the spot fines to people who drop litter.

quote:

“Think hard, George. When you put the cat out did you drop a toffee wrapper?”

I had to google this as it sounds like something that'd only be on the Daily Mail website.

:shepface:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 30, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The most shameful part is where you've clicked on the link.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

The most shameful part is where you've clicked on the link.

I agree wholeheartedly. Was going to post the article to say people getting clicks then decided not to post it at all. :negative:

Edit: I've just finished rewatched the Newsnight part and I it seems I missed quite a part.

The Israel ambassador to Britain talked about the Wall being offensive and saying about how they didn't want it built.

Israel Ambassador to Britain posted:

Why I say the antisemitism question isn't really the relevant question is because the real question is this acceptable and fair comment?"
And then starts talking about the Israeli wall.

Indy:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 30, 2013

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Bell is magical.

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

This is not a good cartoon, it's lazy and weak, but Clegg made me laugh.

And even the Torygraph has been taking a line against the Coalition these last couple of days, and not from an obvious 'they aren't right-wing enough' perspective. Is this normal?

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, it's not the best joke but Clegg got an actual laugh out of me which is generally more than even the cartoons I agree with can accomplish.

And I think the Torygraph have backed the Conservatives in every election ever, even back in 2001 when literally no over paper did. So if they're starting to snipe at the party it's not a great sign, although I imagine they'll get back in line when it comes to election season.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Peel posted:

Bell is magical.

This is not a good cartoon, it's lazy and weak, but Clegg made me laugh.

And even the Torygraph has been taking a line against the Coalition these last couple of days, and not from an obvious 'they aren't right-wing enough' perspective. Is this normal?

The Torygraph will still support the government if it comes down to a crunch but they represent the majority of the party who don't really like Cameron or the coalition and would much rather the government be run by someone else, like that nice chap BoJo what what. It's just your standard British carping.

Remember a lot of tories are still very bitter with Cameron because they were unable to win a majority in an election against Gordon Brown (which is a fair complaint I suppose)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't understand the Mail at all. Surely littering is the remit of hoodies and yobs, this is raising money for underfunded councils without raising taxes, and providing employment to WAR HEROES :syoon: rather than darkies and immigrants. How can they possibly oppose it?

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

big scary monsters posted:

I don't understand the Mail at all. Surely littering is the remit of hoodies and yobs, this is raising money for underfunded councils without raising taxes, and providing employment to WAR HEROES :syoon: rather than darkies and immigrants. How can they possibly oppose it?

Because FREEDOM for middle class people to litter, or something.

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

Peel posted:

General speaking the Telegraph's editorial line is overwhelmingly, 'they're not right-wing enough, and they're incompetent idiots'. They do have a few commentators who argue that "modernisation" of the Tory party is the way forward, but overwhelmingly their criticisms of the Government are from the right. The cartoons are slightly more ambiguous in terms of the criticisms they're making, because a lot of them play on the idea that Cameron and co. are incompetent and out of touch, which is a criticism that can come from the left or the right. The cartoonist sometimes does hint at criticising Cameron from the left, but other times it's coming from the right. Basically, I don't think there are any strong reasons to suggest that the Telegraph is turning against the Coalition in "a good way".

edit: I can claim some expertise in this because I'm living at home at the moment and my parents get the Telegraph everyday...and I do look at it because it's depressing/compelling.

Whitefish fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 30, 2013

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Supeerme posted:

Are you willing to :toxx: on that?
Hah. Nope. Not gonna risk my ~~precious 2000 reg date~~

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Fluo posted:

About antisemitism

I think it all boils down to making the distinction between 'the Jews' and 'the Israeli state' or 'Israeli politicians'. The former is a generalisation that seems antisemitic regardless of the author's intention, and the latter are fair game for political comment.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Todays If ...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big scary monsters posted:

There's been a thing where the uniforms worn by the on-the-spot finers in some areas are not readily distinguishable from police uniform. This has led to enterprising thieves strolling off with the uniforms and doing a bit of impromptu fining of their own while pretending to be coppers.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

GTO posted:

I think it all boils down to making the distinction between 'the Jews' and 'the Israeli state' or 'Israeli politicians'. The former is a generalisation that seems antisemitic regardless of the author's intention, and the latter are fair game for political comment.

Spot on. However it does get a bit confusing since the Israeli flag has the star of David on it however that tends to be a case by case basic. Like the characters in all the cartoons they were talking about weren't 'stereotype anti-semitic view of jews', they were drawings of a single person which didn't have the big nazi style jewish nose or the bag of gold around their neck etc.

You pretty much summed it up easier then I ever could and somehow even quoting you I hosed it up. :negative: It's such a hard issue I personally fine to put in words.

Edit: Came across my worst typo, "spit" was meant to be "spot".

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 31, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Christ I really want some of the If... collections.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Fluo posted:

Spit on. However it does get a bit confusing since the Israeli flag has the star of David on it however that tends to be a case by case basic. Like the characters in all the cartoons they were talking about weren't 'stereotype anti-semitic view of jews', they were drawings of a single person which didn't have the big nazi style jewish nose or the bag of gold around their neck etc.

I think the problem comes in because the usual accusations of antisemitism absolutely do not take the form of 'such-and-such is being attacked as a Jew because of the overemphasis on Jewish imagery' -- which as you rightly point out is frustrated by Israel covering everything in Jewish imagery -- but because one of (1). characters are grotesque (just like antisemitic caricatures!), (2). characters are depicted as powerful/influential (just like antisemitic conspiracy theories!) and/or (3). characters are depicted in violent situations (just like Dolchstoss/blood libel!). While I think there absolutely have been antisemitic cartoons, if you buy the line -- and I claim it's loving obvious -- that Israel is regularly defended with dishonest accusations of antisemitism it's hard to see how making any cartoon critical of Israel likely wouldn't violate at least one of these enough to semi-plausibly kick up a stink. As far as I'm aware, (1) and (3) were basically the accusations brought against Scarfe: Netanyahu was depicted as grotesque (antisemitic caricature!) and Netanyahu was depicted doing something with blood/bodyparts (blood libel!).

Also, there's something obscene about Rupert "Jew owned press" Murdoch apologising for antisemitism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

I'm not seeing the funny side.

• Locked thread