Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

KungFu Grip posted:

oh gently caress me the ending song...:negative:

It was either that or 99 Conkers and you didn't want that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

It was either that or 99 Conkers and you didn't want that!

I didn't know there were lyrics in that Disney song!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

No MRP?

I demand he record an "I liked it." or the opposite.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

No MRP?

I demand he record an "I liked it." or the opposite.

There was plenty of "I like it". We were going to clip it in but there's like no editing for it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Two notes:

Branded rosters are over if you look at WWE.com

While it is stupid to suggest Ziggler cash in for the wrong title, Meltzer said it was seriously considered when Cena was feuding for the briefcase. They really don't care.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

KFG, are you Mike Sempervive?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

HulkaMatt posted:

THE PUNCH SPORT RUMBLE CAST

WE TALK ABOUT THE RUMBLE also get those names we didn't talk about last time. I think we spend 45 minutes just doing the Rumble Match. JESUS CHRIST HOW HORRIFYING.

Yesssssss. This pleases Draga.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Big Dave was making good points about when to be predictable vs when to swerve, but I still wanted Punk to pass Hogan. :sigh:

vvv Yes. vvv

Arbite fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 28, 2013

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That would require a few more years with the belt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a case where Dave's looking at it from the promoter's standpoint, and it's about 98% the right thing from that view. (The 2% is that Punk headlining 'Mania, even in a 3 way, helps him more than the singles match helps Cena going forward, and that while it wasn't a stip, it makes any who bought the 'Once In A Lifetime' tagline from last year feel dumb), the people who are mad are mad from a fan's point of view. As in, they would enjoy seeing Punk keep the belt more, enjoy Rock doing something else more. It's a distinction Dave has a lot of trouble recognising in these situations, because I think he has trouble realising not everyone watches wrestling the way he does, having covered it as a business for 30 years.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gaz-L posted:

It's a case where Dave's looking at it from the promoter's standpoint, and it's about 98% the right thing from that view. (The 2% is that Punk headlining 'Mania, even in a 3 way, helps him more than the singles match helps Cena going forward, and that while it wasn't a stip, it makes any who bought the 'Once In A Lifetime' tagline from last year feel dumb), the people who are mad are mad from a fan's point of view. As in, they would enjoy seeing Punk keep the belt more, enjoy Rock doing something else more. It's a distinction Dave has a lot of trouble recognising in these situations, because I think he has trouble realising not everyone watches wrestling the way he does, having covered it as a business for 30 years.

The people who are mad are almost exclusively mad in a way that is good for WWE's business, i.e. they care so deeply about the CM Punk character that seeing him lose the belt to a part-timer is traumatic. And that's very, very good for WWE because those people are not going away.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

The people who are mad are almost exclusively mad in a way that is good for WWE's business, i.e. they care so deeply about the CM Punk character that seeing him lose the belt to a part-timer is traumatic. And that's very, very good for WWE because those people are not going away.

I'm not so sure, with the rise of pirated streams. It's easier to 'not go away' without putting money in WWE's coffers, which is the goal. Now comparatively, the numbers are minuscule compared to the number of people Rock being champ will probably persuade to buy shows, but I'm not convinced it's an unadulterated positive, just a net(huge) one.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not so sure, with the rise of pirated streams. It's easier to 'not go away' without putting money in WWE's coffers, which is the goal. Now comparatively, the numbers are minuscule compared to the number of people Rock being champ will probably persuade to buy shows, but I'm not convinced it's an unadulterated positive, just a net(huge) one.

People who have the capability and desire to pirate wrestling shows aren't going to buy the shows purely as a statement of support to Vince McMahon.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Fun Fact: The best thing to happen to Daniel Bryan's career was a match that made his fans furious.

Edit: If anything, it seems like Bryan/Punk fans care about their guy far, far more when they're losing than when they're winning, so from a business perspective there's no reason to give them the big win.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 29, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Punk never hit the GTS on The Rock btw, but good podcast :)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

"Whenever I hear people complain about things being too predictable, I... well I don't want to kill people, but..."

I love Dave Meltzer

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

AFter saying that, I'd like to believe he just had a 1000-yard stare and mumbled something about WCW.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I love how determined Dave is to prove that Dallas is going to have a negative affect on Raw.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I just had a morbid thought

God forbid, Dave Meltzer passes away. Does Bryan write the obit, or does Dave have one in the vault he constantly updates himself?

I'm joking about that second option... or am I?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

God forbid, Dave Meltzer passes away. Does Bryan write the obit, or does Dave have one in the vault he constantly updates himself?

I didn't even consider it was a joke until reading the second para. I'm sure that's the case. Dave's also probably got a book's worth of obit on Vince with the instruction to burn it in his will.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dave's obit should just be a picture of his garage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Let's say Dave lives to be 150...

(He won't)

Does he write Bryan's obit? Does Bryan get a full obit, or one of those one paragraph deals that non-notable wrestlers get?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Has Bryan ever speculated on Whitney living to be 150 like him?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeffersonlives posted:

People who have the capability and desire to pirate wrestling shows aren't going to buy the shows purely as a statement of support to Vince McMahon.
While no measurements have been done on this in the wrestling world, music piracy and its relationship to willingness to buy proves this statement almost entirely false. People who pirate will, more often than not, buy a product if they feel they're getting a product worth paying for.

Alvarez' polling said the same thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LividLiquid posted:

While no measurements have been done on this in the wrestling world, music piracy and its relationship to willingness to buy proves this statement almost entirely false. People who pirate will, more often than not, buy a product if they feel they're getting a product worth paying for.

See: New Japan, when they offered a legit way to watch shows people started to give them the cash. I'd assume most people who watch on streams and the like give back to the company through buying merch, I know I was willing to throw money at ShopTNA around Bound for Glory 2011 before they hosed up Roode's glorious ascension.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Dave finally said it: Punk's promo at the beginning of the show how pissed off he was losing the title exposed Cena's inability to make his losses mean anything.

Also, he loved Dallas.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I think there are several inherent differences here between wrestling and MP3 downloads that make this comparison inapt, including price point ($1 vs. $45+), enforcement, and physical quality of the medium. Any fan poll of this from a place like the Observer is going to have major sampling problems (since you're inherently sampling "insiders" who are willing to pay for a wrestling product) and a fairly obvious potential shy tory effect. And as always tends to get overlooked in this discussion, PPV piracy has been a "problem" for wrestling as long as there's been PPV.

If the shows were as easy, reliable, and safe to pirate as to buy, the PPV wrestling business would be completely dead. Perhaps that's coming in a few years.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

If the shows were as easy, reliable, and safe to pirate as to buy, the PPV wrestling business would be completely dead. Perhaps that's coming in a few years.

Isn't this pretty much the case now? I would say the hurdle is more people knowing how to do it and/or having the capability to run it through their television.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Isn't this pretty much the case now? I would say the hurdle is more people knowing how to do it and/or having the capability to run it through their television.

Well, that's what I mean by easy. PPV, you click two buttons on your remote and you've got an unimpeachable HD presentation of the show. If it's ever anywhere close to that easy to pirate the show at that quality by the masses, the PPV business is dead.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Well, that's what I mean by easy. PPV, you click two buttons on your remote and you've got an unimpeachable HD presentation of the show. If it's ever anywhere close to that easy to pirate the show at that quality by the masses, the PPV business is dead.

My bad. I thought you were referring exclusively to finding it easily. But yes, I agree 100%.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Perigryn posted:

Dave finally said it: Punk's promo at the beginning of the show how pissed off he was losing the title exposed Cena's inability to make his losses mean anything.

Also, he loved Dallas.

His DVR cut out half way! He's outraged!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I am actually going to try watching this new Dallas show sometime, Dave's enthusiasm is infectious

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I am actually going to try watching this new Dallas show sometime, Dave's enthusiasm is infectious

I was a gigantic fan of the original but the remake is only so-so. If you don't have the nostalgia from the original series there's about a million better shows out there.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dave even mentions Dallas in the raw ratings preview.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Arbite posted:

Dave even mentions Dallas in the raw ratings preview.

Yeah, in such a way that you know if he wasn't doing the podcast, he'd have watched Dallas live and DVR'ed Raw.

Edit: Bryan pretty much nailed the Rock/Cena thing in the audio newsflash thing though. If you don't enjoy it, or don't want to buy Mania to see it, cool. It's still probably the right call for WWE, because the non-hardcore audience will pay to see it.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 30, 2013

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I keep seeing you guys say Dallas in here and I assume you are talking about Bo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

I keep seeing you guys say Dallas in here and I assume you are talking about Bo.

Don't be crazy. No-one's talking about Bo Dallas. And I don't mean just on PSP.

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011
The sight of Bo Dallas does not insult me and I'm beginning to think that means there's something wrong with me.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
BRYAN: What's the update on Ric Flair?
DAVE: He's still alive.
BRYAN: All right.

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

ChaosSmurf posted:

The sight of Bo Dallas does not insult me and I'm beginning to think that means there's something wrong with me.

He was the worst personality out of the eight guys they could have chosen, but sometimes you just need a smilin' babyface with a generic, whitebread "I'm doin' the right thing!" personality and a good boring moveset. There's always room for that in a company (it should be Justin Gabriel, but whatever). People are making him out to be worse than he is.

• Locked thread