Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope they sell the phosphorus-trap phonebooth.

You notice the dummy isn't in it though, you open it up exclaiming "there's nothing here." Then the rest of your purchase arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I may also go for a helmet, but I'll probably end up more seriously bidding on something smaller like a belt.

The belt looks pretty boss.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Ma-Ma's costume?

It does open up a lot of weird role play possibilities...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I watched the film again last night with some friends who hadn't seen it, one of whom was rather "meh" about the whole prospect. She ended up practically cheering Dredd and Anderson on, and audibly gasped at the reveal of the corrupt Judges and Dredd getting shot. Her final verdict was something like "That was unexpectedly good". (And she loved that one guy's wig.)

So that result just needs to be repeated several million times, and we might just get a sequel. Goons, you have your mission.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Payndz posted:

I watched the film again last night with some friends who hadn't seen it, one of whom was rather "meh" about the whole prospect. She ended up practically cheering Dredd and Anderson on, and audibly gasped at the reveal of the corrupt Judges and Dredd getting shot. Her final verdict was something like "That was unexpectedly good". (And she loved that one guy's wig.)

So that result just needs to be repeated several million times, and we might just get a sequel. Goons, you have your mission.

My room mate was the same way. I had to actually badger him to even watch my copy on blu ray for days, and then as soon as it was over he was like "that was awesome."

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
What head was this wig on that you guys are talking about?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Physical posted:

What head was this wig on that you guys are talking about?

This guy.

Runner up Henchman of the Year:

Who looks perpetually confounded in every shot.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 27, 2013

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is this guy rocking the same haircut as Ma-Ma?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Spakstik posted:

Is this guy rocking the same haircut as Ma-Ma?

Not quite.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ma-Ma's costume?

It does open up a lot of weird role play possibilities...

Jeans and a sleeveless shirt from Ann Taylor? Congratulations, you just role played my mom.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
STILL laughing at how completely awesome this movie was and how Dredd fans finally have a movie that does the character justice.

I know both Dredd and The Raid were very similar (not copied) which to be honest isnt a bad thing - both are top notch and taking pride of place in the DVD collection. I gotta do a back to back evening with them both and invite a bunch of friends over

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Elentor posted:

Maybe the others were so much worse (:cry:). To me what was so bad about the first Dredd movie was the tone. It had that 90's cheesy humor for kids that was unbearable, scattered all over the film. Stallone himself was a good Dredd, in my opinion at least.

I ended up watching the Stallone version for the first time in like a dozen years right around the time Dredd was coming out and thought that it was visually impressive but a lot of the story stuff and human factors of the story felt wrong. It felt a lot like how a comic book movie of that era should feel, though.

Stallone felt a little off in the performance to me, though, like something in his delivery almost unnatural. However, this is coming from me who isn't that much of a hardcore fan of the franchise, so I don't really have much of a basis to judge on this, so to speak.

That being said, though, while I was watching it all I could think of was Nic Cage rather than Stallone should have been cast. I don't know if it would have been a better or worse film, but I think Cage would have possibly been more open to a, "No, the helmet never comes off!" performance.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

TheJoker138 posted:

This was brought up earlier and is apparently just kind of standard practice for most films and has no real bearing on whether they make a sequel or not.

This isn't true!

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

I ended up watching the Stallone version for the first time in like a dozen years right around the time Dredd was coming out and thought that it was visually impressive but a lot of the story stuff and human factors of the story felt wrong. It felt a lot like how a comic book movie of that era should feel, though.

Stallone felt a little off in the performance to me, though, like something in his delivery almost unnatural. However, this is coming from me who isn't that much of a hardcore fan of the franchise, so I don't really have much of a basis to judge on this, so to speak.

That being said, though, while I was watching it all I could think of was Nic Cage rather than Stallone should have been cast. I don't know if it would have been a better or worse film, but I think Cage would have possibly been more open to a, "No, the helmet never comes off!" performance.

I spent way too much time in the past days , reading the Complete Case Files , mainly jumping from one place to another and the 1995 movie "gets" how the mega city should look , the colors , the props it's uncanny how good everything looks.Except nothing the actors say or do is related with the comics .

When judge Fargo says that he wants the Hall of Justice to be a symbol of Freedom was when I realized they kind of snapped dredd parts in a generic hero script.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 28, 2013

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
After reading some of the comics, I feel like this movie was better than the comics. It wasn't as cheesy and everyone wasn't declaring their actions.

Some Creep posted:

It's Judge Dredd. I'm going to shoot him with my laser cannon!

Still gonna read the comics though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Physical posted:

After reading some of the comics, I feel like this movie was better than the comics. It wasn't as cheesy and everyone wasn't declaring their actions.

Still gonna read the comics though.

What progs did you read?

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Prog 2 through, um, I'm not sure. Title was Robot Wars Part 1.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Physical posted:

Prog 2 through, um, I'm not sure. Title was Robot Wars Part 1.

Oh just so you know the Dredd stories in Case File 1 are chessy and nothing like the Dredd it becomes. You will see some of it but you also get stuff like Dredd as a Sheriff on the Moon and Walter the Wobot.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Oh man, I just read the "The Day the Law Died" series, and the faces that Judge Cal make are hilarious. It would be hilarious if there were ever a sequel and did that story. They'd have to get Nicolas Cage to play him though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

AgentHaiTo posted:

Oh man, I just read the "The Day the Law Died" series, and the faces that Judge Cal make are hilarious. It would be hilarious if there were ever a sequel and did that story. They'd have to get Nicolas Cage to play him though.

They should get Malcolm McDowell and see how long it would take him before he realized who is his playing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobkatt013 posted:

They should get Malcolm McDowell and see how long it would take him before he realized who is his playing.

Probably not long. The original 1980s release of the collected story was called Judge Caligula.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

Probably not long. The original 1980s release of the collected story was called Judge Caligula.

Yes but would it cause him to start having horrible flashbacks?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes but would it cause him to start having horrible flashbacks?

He has those already, which is why you don't ever talk to him about that movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The auction of Dredd props has started: want the only complete Judge Dredd costume they'll be offering? The auction only went live ten minutes ago, and bidding's already over £2300 (+20% VAT :gonk: ).

EDIT: Now up to £2550 (+VAT), literally a minute later.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Yeah, some of you seemed to have very unrealistically low expectations as to what this stuff was worth...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anyone have a link to the right auction? Google keeps directing me to a Dredd prop auction with no items.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Payndz posted:

The auction of Dredd props has started: want the only complete Judge Dredd costume they'll be offering? The auction only went live ten minutes ago, and bidding's already over £2300 (+20% VAT :gonk: ).

EDIT: Now up to £2550 (+VAT), literally a minute later.

Well yeah, it's the hero-grade screen used costume for the main character in a major film based on a hugely popular and long running comic with a massive cult following. Plus it's the only complete judge costume goiong to auction. No poo poo it's gonna be crazy expensive. Hell, a REPLICA probably wouldn't cost you much less than that.

Also, £6100 now. I expect that to at least double.

I expect stuff like the background judge helmets will go for a more affordable price, but anything iconic like helmets, judge insignias and judge guns is gonna be pretty spendy. When they did the BSG auctions main character dogtags and tiny but iconic props were going for way more than beautiful tailored suits and complex propwork, people want something instantly recognisable and closely associated with the main characters.

EDIT

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/propstore-auction link to the auctions. 200 items total, 20 or so up now the rest over the next couple weeks

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

moths posted:

Does anyone have a link to the right auction? Google keeps directing me to a Dredd prop auction with no items.

If you do what I did and add the seller to your watched-sellers list, you have to go into your watched sellers through the UK site for it list the seller having any sales. You can view individual items on the US site once you get to those, though, in case you want them to automatically add their estimation for the exchange rate.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lamadrid posted:

I spent way too much time in the past days , reading the Complete Case Files , mainly jumping from one place to another and the 1995 movie "gets" how the mega city should look , the colors , the props it's uncanny how good everything looks.Except nothing the actors say or do is related with the comics .

When judge Fargo says that he wants the Hall of Justice to be a symbol of Freedom was when I realized they kind of snapped dredd parts in a generic hero script.

This is exactly the issues with the 95 Dredd movie, it looks great, but the story is very undredd. It's like the production designers and set dressers poured over the comics and tried to be as faithful, but the writers were like "Okay, he's a future cop that shoots criminals, there's a bad guy named rico in a story and they're clones" and that was about it. The funny thing is they could have done a Dark judges story and that would have been just as big, and would have been more Dredd.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

echoplex posted:

This isn't true!

Yeah it usually means a lack of interest, for example all the awesome practical sets for BSG got bulldozed after the final season.

twistedmentat posted:

This is exactly the issues with the 95 Dredd movie, it looks great, but the story is very undredd. It's like the production designers and set dressers poured over the comics and tried to be as faithful, but the writers were like "Okay, he's a future cop that shoots criminals, there's a bad guy named rico in a story and they're clones" and that was about it. The funny thing is they could have done a Dark judges story and that would have been just as big, and would have been more Dredd.

Yeah due to the bigger budget the Stallone version was more a carbon copy of the colorful, massive scale visual style from comic books but missed out on the rules/compelling themes from the sources material unlike Dredd 3D.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Where are you guys seeing the auction items? I go to their page and there's literally nothing listed there.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The '95 film did have a few shining moments of Dredd-ness despite the overall story being a massive handicap. I enjoyed watching Dredd stride confidently into gunfire having determined he was outside the lethal range and announce to two entire blocks they were all under arrest. Plus the scene of him teaching at the academy could have been done word-for-word by Karl Urban's Dredd and it still would have worked.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Speaking of the auction items, Collider is having a (:911: only) contest to win some Credits from the movie. Just have to email them:
http://collider.com/dredd-prop-giveaway-mega-city-one-credits

edit-

VVVVV Woops, sorry. Edited my post.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 29, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

US only, blah. :canada:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Speaking of the auction items, Collider is having a (:911: only) contest to win some Credits from the movie. Just have to email them:
http://collider.com/dredd-prop-giveaway-mega-city-one-credits

edit-

VVVVV Woops, sorry. Edited my post.

*Will Debase self for credits*

I like these signs too:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...=item2ec58ce92c

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 29, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oops, of course it's UK ebay. Thanks guys!

Also I am way underwhelmed by these items. I mean, some of them are cool as hell but way out of my price range - and the rest are just out of my price range for how uninteresting they are.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I wonder if now that we see the items actually being sold all this "this means for sure there's no sequel" talk will stop. I doubt they were going to need that picture of the girl with her dead husband and baby in a sequel, for some reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jabby posted:

The '95 film did have a few shining moments of Dredd-ness despite the overall story being a massive handicap. I enjoyed watching Dredd stride confidently into gunfire having determined he was outside the lethal range and announce to two entire blocks they were all under arrest.

Which is a direct recreation of a 2000AD cover.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I like the implication from people that it means there wont be a sequel despite the fact the items would be sold for a hell of a lot more then the cost it took to make them originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
After seeing this movie I get the distinct impression that the conflict between Ma-Ma and the Judges was more like a war than a police intervention. Because of its insignificance and because of Mega City’s size, Peachtree is essentially autonomous. I think this film depicts a battle between two totalitarian societies, the Fascist Mega City and the State-Capitalist Peachtree.

The judges are terribly ineffective as a police force, responding to only 15% of crimes. The actions of the Judges are not stabilizing. They regularly cause massive collateral damage and (at least occasionally) execute people in the street. An average day for Dread does result in dozens dead and enormous damage. Dread constantly reminds us that both that he is the law and he is to be feared. The law is an extension of government power, in Mega City its function is not justice or peace. Its function is to ensure subservience in the population. The brutal and unevenly dispensed summary punishment of citizens is undoubtedly a form of terrorism. The Judges exist to frighten, to keep people in line. Dread, a ruthlessness enforcer, is notably the only Judge in the film who could be called a ‘true believer’ in the system. Anderson is quickly disillusioned, the command is detached and apathetic, and the remaining we see corrupt and greedy.

Unemployment in the mega city is supposedly 95%. Ma-Ma's hugely profitable drug empire is almost certainly the center of the buildings economy. Her gang is massive and every one of them must draw a salary (Hell, if I recall correctly, Ma-Ma herself didn’t live in particular luxury, could it be an equitable system?). We see also that many citizens (and citizens they truly are) of Peachtree exist on the periphery of the gang; they might the ones coerced to fight. They are citizens of Peachtree, drafted into a militia, by a provisional government, to fight against an aggressive intrusion. There are also those citizens, not just gang members, who are willing to fight the Judges incursion, and they have well reason to. They have picked up arms to defend their homes.

I called Peachtree state-capitalist; essentially all of its citizens are involved in one singular trade, controlled by Ma-Ma, who heads her gang, the real government of Peachtree. Her brutal methods have certainly resulted in an improvement on the status quo. It’s easy to imagine Ma-Ma regime and novel ‘export based economy’ as being preferable to the instability and non-existent one before her. She ended the vicious gang wars. The citizens may be frightened of her, but she keeps the peace in a way the Judges are unable or unwilling to. She stabilizes Peachtree, Dread leaves it in shambles. She is the head of a vicious, totalitarian government. However, she is the law in Peachtree and her law, though violent, is intended to keep order. Order is good for her business.

I suppose the real satire of this movie is that it is (clichéd to say this I know) pretty much Orwellian. It is a picture of a broken future dystopia where a the government of a totalitarian society destroys the much weaker rival government of a small and insignificant city-state, not out of concern for the welfare of the people but simply to maintain its dominance and exercise its power.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 29, 2013

• Locked thread