Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009

I guess we'll have High Pockets Kelly at first for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

You better believe I'm taking pitching in the drafts. My hitting isn't a problem area.

Whitey though? He's not too young in absolute terms, but it's only his 3rd season, and he was still a bit wild (4+ BB/9). He had a smaller K/9IP at larger ballparks, suggesting he'd sometimes pitch to contact with the general idea of avoiding home runs (which he did fairly well). K/9 wasn't Bob Gibson, but for his era is was solid, and his H/9 was consistently good. He's not exactly Mark Buehrle in terms of performance beating out his peripherals.

I'm leaning towards him having a bad year, I'm thinking he should get his ERA well below 4 in SL.

I didn't know enough about Lolich (or maybe had Hawk talking him up at some point during White Sox games and I've been slightly brainwashed into thinking he's amazing). Looking back at him, not very enamored with his stuff. He had a relatively short peak (mostly two legitimately good years) and a sense that there's a lot of okay filler. Whitey, on the other hand, pretty much had an entire career at near-peak with two seasons that destroy any of Lolich, and his leaderboard appearances on bbref suggest he was far better compared to his peers than Lolich.

So I learned something!

That I probably won't deal until I can hammer down what weaknesses remain after the dispersal draft.

[After more consideration, I would be willing to do Pappas+ (or Lolich straight up) for Ford, but I don't really expect a deal to happen. This post is really just about baseball and Mogul and whatever, because it's fun to talk about and, hey, I did all this reasearch.]

Actually, if we go by the gulf between a player's ERA- and FIP-, Ford is significantly more extreme in outpitching his peripherals than Mark Buehrle. It's just that his peripherals are almost as good as Buehrle's results, so he ends up being an incredible pitcher. My concern, though, is that it's difficult to model this for Mogul, outside of giving him a good GB%. Consequently, I think he ends up looking less like the player with the career 75 ERA- and more like the player with the career 88 ERA-. On the opposite end, Mickey Lolich's 87 FIP- seems like a more accurate judge of his SL performance than his 96 ERA-. This is not to say that these two players are equally good in baseball, but rather than I think Baseball Mogul can't really handle the factors that make one underperform his peripherals by so much, and the other overperform.

This is ultimately just my guess to explain the phenomenon of Whitey Ford tending to be, well, not very good. I've thus far found him on 8 teams, and he pretty much averages a mid-4's ERA. Sometimes, he's very good, like for the Air Raids in this year's SL. Sometimes he's awful, like for the SLVI Hill Valley Biffs. But overall he's just not nearly as good as he was in real life, and I think the stuff above is why.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Pander posted:

Also, Gyroball's BBM LP taught me that Mark Teahen is a bonafide inner circle HoF pick. Can I have his fictitious version of Teahen?
As a fellow White Sox fan, I about had a heart attack until I read this a second time and saw "ficticious".

Reviewing the week 21 results, I couldn't be more pleased. Outscored the Finger-Bangers by 26 runs and nearly swept the Unicorns. Ultimately, I suppose these in-season series are meaningless and what matters is meeting Marauder for the third straight season in DLCS and beating him again. But also this banner week should be taken as a show of power to any teams (that means you, Warm Sarsaparilla) that would attempt to usurp my team's position on top of the Vae Victis.

Oh, and for the obit vote, I'm going with Rance.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Mornacale posted:

Good points
I really can't figure out what it is that made Ford as dominant as he was. He was for over a dozen years a fantastic and amazingly consistent starting pitcher, in the best sense of the oft-misutilized word "consistent". But yeah, I looked for half an hour and couldn't figure out WHY. His HR/9 was very good, and only partially aided by Yankee Stadium. His K/9 was good for his era, but his BB/9 wasn't too great (got better as he got older, but Lolich's K/BB rate easily beats Ford's).

As he aged, he gave up more hits, fewer walks, and got more strikeouts. In general, he did better than the league at every single facet of pitching for a dozen straight years. I agree and worry that it doesn't sound like the kind of case that a SABR-minded system will model appropriately. But hey, I gotta use ONE pitcher from the '54 Yanks, right? So I'll cross my fingers and hope the 25 y/o version hits paydirt.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Again, Pander, if you're interested in moving Ford, take a look at the Failures roster and see who interests you.

Here's a link for most of the guys years: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499603&pagenumber=83&perpage=40#post410464590

Some of those guys have been traded since then, though.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Pander

1. It's a re-roll each season (or Gauntlet round), so you won't know for sure until it's too late. That said, '54 Enos Slaughter was already in the part-time phase of his career, so, realistically, being a platoon bat is probably his ceiling in the Super-League, and he's probably better suited as a pinch-hitter/backup corner outfielder. Allie Reynolds was basically washed-up in real-life in 1954, so I wouldn't trust him as anything more than a long reliever. As for Konstanty, he did have one really good year, but he also never struck anyone out ever, and somehow finished his career with more walks than strikeouts, and you have him when he was 37, and struck out a grand total of 14 batters in 68.2 innings. That cannot end well.

2. No! If it were up to me, I'd erase gyroball's LP from existence, so no one could compare mine and his. So, no, you can't get Teahen, or the Pitch-o-Matic. You can have Rabbit Maranville, though.

3. BBM hasn't changed that much over the years, so most versions play about the same.

4. Basically most of the players that have been mythologized, like Bellhorn or Grace or whatever, aren't exactly the greatest building blocks for a contender.

Mooseontheloose

1. It's fine, though I'm a bit leery of your offense, which I think needs at least one more bat, and the back end of your pitching rotation.

2. No. That's not right. Or, at least, I don't know that's the most important need your team has. If there's a guy like A-Rod or Honus in the draft by the time you pick, then, yeah, draft Templeton, but it doesn't make that much sense to me to draft a guy like Alan Trammell when there's a Jimmie Foxx or whatever on the board. Same thing with the 3B spot. Your pitchers seem to be able to live with Bonilla at 3B, and so I'd rather just use the pick on the best hitter you can get, unless there's a super-elite SS on the board. Besides, out of the two, Bonilla is way more suited to DHing than young Bonds, who was actually a good fielder before the...supplements.

3. Drabek you can live with. Smiley...maybe if he's your fifth starter, but Vuckovich? His star turn in Major League aside, he has a bad combination of low strikeout numbers without the sort of groundball shield that deadballers too. You'll want to replace him, and maybe Smiley if you get the chance.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Pander posted:

I really can't figure out what it is that made Ford as dominant as he was. He was for over a dozen years a fantastic and amazingly consistent starting pitcher, in the best sense of the oft-misutilized word "consistent". But yeah, I looked for half an hour and couldn't figure out WHY. His HR/9 was very good, and only partially aided by Yankee Stadium. His K/9 was good for his era, but his BB/9 wasn't too great (got better as he got older, but Lolich's K/BB rate easily beats Ford's).

As he aged, he gave up more hits, fewer walks, and got more strikeouts. In general, he did better than the league at every single facet of pitching for a dozen straight years. I agree and worry that it doesn't sound like the kind of case that a SABR-minded system will model appropriately. But hey, I gotta use ONE pitcher from the '54 Yanks, right? So I'll cross my fingers and hope the 25 y/o version hits paydirt.

Yeah, definitely not claiming you shouldn't use Ford, I think he's a credible SL starter if your infield defense isn't bad, and obviously he's capable of putting up good numbers.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

mentholmoose posted:

Again, Pander, if you're interested in moving Ford, take a look at the Failures roster and see who interests you.

Here's a link for most of the guys years: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499603&pagenumber=83&perpage=40#post410464590

Some of those guys have been traded since then, though.
Thoughts regarding Lester, Vaughn, Candelaria, and Petrocelli for Ford? (this is for everyone)

I'm definitely losing the 'best' guy in terms of pedigree, but I need a massive make-over of my sub-replacement guys to stand a chance, and I think even average starters will improve me, and a utility guy/3B will provide needed depth.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Pander posted:

Thoughts regarding Lester, Vaughn, Candelaria, and Petrocelli for Ford? (this is for everyone)

I'm definitely losing the 'best' guy in terms of pedigree, but I need a massive make-over of my sub-replacement guys to stand a chance, and I think even average starters will improve me, and a utility guy/3B will provide needed depth.
In a vacuum I'd take this trade, but unfortunately I wouldn't have the depth to handle any injuries that might arise after the trade.

If you'd do Lester and Vaughn or Candelaria for Ford, I'd OK that.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
What do you want from my team?

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
If we're talking trades all of a sudden in here, I've got a shiny 2011 Cole Hamels up for sale for moderately cheap. I've built up a decent pitching staff now and I could use a moderately decent C, LF, 2B or 3B to help start building a decent hitting team to go with it.

I have a couple of other guys I can offer along with Hamels, but most of the guys I'd say are on my trade block are spare pieces.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VIII, Smasher League Week 21: Running on Empty!

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

EAZY W'S BEAT FAILURES 5-1, NOTHING IS LEARNED

Bolton- The Smasher League has not had a good playoff race in some time, and it does not appear as if this season is going to turn things around.

The Eazy W's won 5-1 today on the back of another great start from Jack McDowell, who had other concerns during his post-game press conference, "Good game, I though I pitched well, but I just want to make clear to everyone that, despite what you may think, I am not actually the luchador vigilante known as "El Greco Hombre". Oh, we may have similar builds, and we may have never been in the same place at the same time, but that doesn't mean we're the same person. First of all, he's "El Greco Hombre", and 'McDowell' is clearly not a Greek name. It's not even close to being Greek. In fact, just to buttress my claims I have, at my own expense, hired a genealogist to prove that I have no Greek ancestors." McDowell furnished each reporter a copy of the report on his ancestry before continuing, "Now, that doesn't mean that I don't admire El Greco Hombre, whose new and exciting form of crime-fighting has clearly done the city of Bolton some-" Jack McDowell's phone then began to ring, and he glanced at the screen before being shocked at the identity of the caller, "Why...El Greco Hombre is calling me right now! Something that would be impossible if we were the same person! I'll put him on speakerphone!"

After a few minutes of fiddling with his phone, McDowell was able to set that up, and El Greco Hombre who, it must be said, sounded suspicious;y like Jack McDowell adopting a generic Mediterranean accent, began to speak, "If I may correct Senor McDowell, who I am most certainly not the same person as, Bolton is a town, not a city, and second, it is good to finally have a chance to talk to you, my distinct and separate friend. But now I must go! Goodbye!" McDowell then shut off his phone, apparently satisfied that he had made his case.

The other hero of today's game, at least in his own mind, was Adam Dunn, who hit a double and a home run, and did not even strike out once. "At long last, The Chosen Dunn has returned to save the people of Bolton from another post-season failure! I know that a lot of you Boltoners, or Boltonites...Bolts? Well, whoever the hell you British people in this city call each other, I'm here to save you from your dreary lives. Although, since I can't control the weather...just yet, I can't really fix your lovely climate. But I can make Bolton a champion in something. Why? Because The Chosen Dunn is a man who cares, and, thanks to my extreme sabermetric skills, it's going to happen. I guarantee it!"

As for mentholmoose, well, it apparently wasn't the worst thing that happened to him this week, "Holy gently caress! Ruben loving Amaro signed Yuniesky Betancourt AND Delmon Young? What the gently caress is his plan? Does he think this is like loving Hearts or something, where he can 'shoot the moon' and build a team so loving terrible that it will somehow become good or something? Oh, gently caress, now Chase Utley is going to get injured again, and Betancourt is going to start all drat season long. This is the loving worst thing to happen to the loving Phillies ever. gently caress Chip Kelly."

GAME NOTES

-There are no game notes.

Box Score

Don May posted:

MASHERS COMMIT MANSLAUGHTER ON AIR RAIDS

Spokane- Are the Air Raids this bad, or are the Mashers this good?

It's a question that is difficult to answer. But each owner had their own theory.

CraigK, owner of the Mashers, "Making a good team is like making a good Mint Julep...only four ingredients in a Mint Julep. You got your mint, your sugar, your ice, and your bourbon. You put the mint, and the sugar and a little bit of bourbon in a cup, and then you got to muddle it a bit, make sure that the oils of the mint come out and the sugar gets dissolved. Then you strain that, and pour it into the glass you'll be drinking it out of. You gotta make sure the sides are coated with the mixture, because you ain't going to mixing this much when you're done, that would just break the ice, and water down the drink. All that poo poo about James Bond asking for a martini that's 'shaken, not stirred', that's a sucker way to make a drink. You add the ice and pour in the bourbon, and that's all there is to it. Now, I know that a lot of people out there think that the Mojito is a worthy successor to the Mint Julep, but let me tell you somethin': I'm gonna kill all of those people." This did not shed a lot of light on either the Mashers or their owner.

Manifunk Destiny, seemingly attempting to out-crazy CraigK, told a long and rambling story about the day he was attacked by a burrito that had come to life because of a toxic waste spill in Spokane, as was not entirely uncommon at the time. They only way to defeat this living burrito, apparently, was with a very special kind of salsa made from green chiles. This may have been apocryphal, although a contemporary headline from the paper of record in Spokane did mention a taco that destroying most of downtown.

GAME NOTES

-The Mashers drew eight walks. The Air Raids drew one.

-Felix Rodriguez started the game thanks to a rash of injuries striking the Air Raids' pitching, including C.J. Wilson coming face to face with his own mortality in the form of his own dessicated husk from the future that had used black sorcery to extend his lifespan, but now needed to drain the lifeforce of his past self in order to sustain his existence.

-Justin Upton is not a Super-League-quality outfielder. Neither of the Uptons are. Everyone needs to accept that.

-Spokane isn't a real city, and Manifunk Destiny isn't a real person. They are both just reflections of the collective unconscious of mankind.

Box Score

Det. Slaught's Last Stand

: Okay, the Gumshoes have a tougher Television Title defense this time, drawing the Barons.
: And THE Thornton Lee won't be able to get the job done, and the Barons take home Game 1.

: And the Barons will win Game 2 to take the Television Title.
: If they win Game 3, they'll get the Heavyweight Title as well!

: Yeah, but they lose big, so that's not going to happen. Still, that's a good series for the Barons, who are looking to avoid the Gauntlet if they can avoid it.
: Staying alive isn't exactly what an owner sets out to do, but it's not a bad outcome for a first-year team.

: Barons will face the Smokers now, and, as this is a four-game series, the Smokers don't seem to have much chance of winning the Television Title here.
: Probably not.

: And the Barons retain without having to use a single reliever in the first two games of this series.
: So, uh, that's that, then.

: It is, and the Barons get another complete game win.
: Hey, while we're here, I'd just like to tell kw0134 that he's a jerk and a meanie and I don't like him!

: Is this because he tried to get you killed again? Yeah, the Smokers win! Good for them. Anyway 'meanie' seems a bit light for a guy trying to kill you.
: Well, unlike kw0134, I don't want to go out of my way to hurt people! Because I'm a good person who deserves to live!
: Eh, could be worse, you could be Adam Dunn.

: Next week, it's Barons-Landers and then either Barons-W's or Landers-Arguments. If the Barons manage to keep the TV Title through end of that week, they'll have earned it.

Team Statistics

Analysis

Keep it up and you will avoid the Gauntlet easily.

Analysis

Ralph Kiner is fool's gold.

Analysis

Looks like Castro is going to outlive this team.

Analysis

If a Phoenix never dies, is it really a Phoenix?

Analysis

Thurman Munson has just crashed a plane into your team's chances of surviving.

Analysis

It's not over between you and the Landers just yet.

Analysis

Still out there, mrnoun?

Analysis

The New England Teachable Moments.

Analysis

You'd better not cough up a six game lead in five weeks!

Analysis

Let's hope for a good Gauntlet run.

Analysis

Still getting better. I'm not sure how far they can go, but they certainly look like they might make some noise in the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Ouch.

Analysis

Kind of a downer ending, I'll admit.

Analysis

Well, there's always another chance to build a team for the Super-League.

Analysis

So...only five weeks until the playoffs, then!

Analysis

You...uh...ran out of starting pitchers.

Standings and Leaders

-Mark Grace - 2 votes

-St. Mark Bellhorn - 0 votes

-Eri Yoshida - 1 vote

-Johnny Hopp - 0 votes

-The Chosen Dunn - 6 votes

-Rance Mullinix - 2 votes

-El Greco Hombre - 0 votes

: Now, hold on just one minute! I think this ballot might have confused you guys. You see, the person you send on the suicide mission is probably going to die. I can understand why you think that only I could save the day, but I reckon this might be a job for Rance Mullinix. He's probably pretty great at that sort of thing. So, guys...

A. Send Dunn to his doom!

B. No one would miss Rance!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

mentholmoose posted:

In a vacuum I'd take this trade, but unfortunately I wouldn't have the depth to handle any injuries that might arise after the trade.

If you'd do Lester and Vaughn or Candelaria for Ford, I'd OK that.

I'm still interested in Hippo Vaughn if you want to make me an offer. I've got no use for Lester or Candy, unless you want like all of my depth guys.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
: You all would miss me and you know it. But don't worry about me. I will be fine, because I am the savior of the Universe. I'm like John Cena, you can't see me, and you sure as heck can't stop me! B!

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
updated, see below

CraigK fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 29, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

B

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Rance is the right man for the job, the Chosen Dunn can just go mash some dingers for a while.

I just hope my team doesn't have another terrible week next week :ohdear:

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Oh, no! A pitching injury! How will I ever cope with this disaster?

Let's see... should I turn to Rick Langford? Or perhaps Larry Gura? There's always Denny McLain. Or I could get fancy and go with Slim Love.

Nah, let's try Greg Maddux.

Rotation:

Martinez
Clemens
Sutton
Maddux
Richard

Oh, no! A catching injury! How will I ever cope with this disaster?

Wait, my backup catcher is hitting .190, and my 3rd string catcher is already hurt? But I was going to be all sarcastic and smug about my deep bench. :(

Lineup:

LF Raines
2B Collins
CF DiMaggio
DH Ramirez
RF Aaron
3B Brett
1B Garciaparra
C Bailey
SS Joost

While Gibson is on the DL, call up, I don't know... Eddie Yost?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yoshida knew the risks. I cannot be blamed for being asked to make a choice where the outcome is likely death, for she has only Smasher to blame for that narrative thread.

In any event, since we're on the subject of being horrible monsters dooming people, the Chosen Dunn was chosen for a reason, dammit.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Time to shuffle the deck chairs with a :siren: Trade :siren:

The Failures give:

1919 Hippo Vaughn
2011 Kevin Youkilis

The Bloggers give:

2001 Andruw Jones
1981 Jesse Orosco

e: Pending Mornacale's approval, have Jones take Youkilis' spot on the roster, send down Smith and put Orosco in his SR spot. New lineup for next week:

code:
1. LF - Henderson
2. 3B - Molitor
3. RF - Berkman
4. DH - Hafner
5. C  - Lombardi (Berra catches for Beckett)
6. 1B - McCovey
7. CF - Jones
8. 2B - Pedroia
9. SS - Rollins
e2: And send Rance in!

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 29, 2013

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Mashers

arod to dh, alou to lf, fregosi to short

also biggio down and Williams up

CraigK fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 29, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

mentholmoose posted:

Time to shuffle the deck chairs with a :siren: Trade :siren:

The Failures give:

1919 Hippo Vaughn
2011 Kevin Youkilis

The Bloggers give:

2001 Andruw Jones
1981 Jesse Orosco

Bloggers gonnna blog. Trade approved. I've now successfully collected 3/4 of the 1919 Cubs rotation. Pete Alexander, you're next.

In actual-things-that-could-ever-happen news, the Bloggers really need one more reliever now that Orosco is gone (which is very sad). Our main area of depth is at Starter. Anybody who needs a boost in your rotation, or a little extra depth, and has a good reliever to give up, get at me.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Also, mrnoun, I have a young-as-hell Ted Simmons that could help your team out. Same current overall rating as Bailey, but a 97 POT rating! If you're willing to trade Tom Henke, I could add in Mitch Meluskey! You'll be overrun with mediocre catching!

CraigK fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 29, 2013

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Mornacale posted:

In actual-things-that-could-ever-happen news, the Bloggers really need one more reliever now that Orosco is gone (which is very sad). Our main area of depth is at Starter. Anybody who needs a boost in your rotation, or a little extra depth, and has a good reliever to give up, get at me.

Relievers! Sure, we got those. Can I interest you in the Lord of the LOOGYs, the Sinister Submariner, Mike Myers? Or perhaps the lyrically named Shiggy Hasegawa? World Series Champion Ryan Franklin? All of 2004 vintage. I suppose I can offer Dyar Miller ('76) or a huge pile of dudes from the 2012 Rockies, including :siren:Jamie Moyer:siren:!

These dudes are available to all, of course, not just those Bloggahs.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

CraigK posted:

Also, mrnoun, I have a young-as-hell Ted Simmons that could help your team out. Same current overall rating as Bailey, but a 97 POT rating! If you're willing to trade Tom Henke, I could add in Mitch Meluskey! You'll be overrun with mediocre catching!

Well, I do love me some Ted Simmons, but not at that price, and not with a 5th string catcher thrown in. I'll have my starting catcher back in less than two weeks, so Simmons would be purely a backup, and I don't think it's in my best interests to trade anyone I'm actually using for a bench piece. Sorry!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

NotThatSamBeckett posted:

Spare pieces from 2012 Rockies

Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal!

Proposal for you, wherein I trade a starter for a reliever along with two pieces from your feeder team:

Trade:
2011 Cole Hamels SP

for

2012 Rex Brothers RP
2012 Dexter Fowler OF
2012 Johnny 'Better than Topher Rigney defensively' Herrera UT

UZworm fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 29, 2013

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

mrnoun posted:

Well, I do love me some Ted Simmons, but not at that price, and not with a 5th string catcher thrown in. I'll have my starting catcher back in less than two weeks, so Simmons would be purely a backup, and I don't think it's in my best interests to trade anyone I'm actually using for a bench piece. Sorry!

Fair enough. The drop from "Henke/Rivera" to "your other relievers" is too steep, otherwise I'd ask for less. :)

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

UZworm posted:

Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal!

Proposal for you, wherein I trade a starter for a reliever along with two pieces from your feeder team:

Trade:
2011 Cole Hamels SP

for

2012 Rex Brothers RP
2012 Dexter Fowler OF
2012 Johnny 'Better than Topher Rigney defensively' Herrera UT

I am fine with this, though Rex has been pitching pretty awesomely for me. I believe he is currently my closer, but that's fine, as I have Denny Rainwater! he's so dreamy waiting in the wings. I will ask though, are you sure you want Herrera? Last I checked, Scooter was hitting stupidly well for Marauder's Phoenixes. Either way works for me, and thanks.

Plenty more relievers (and other stuff) still available. Bret Boone, the year after he hit 35 dingers and won the Gold Glove at second! Though he won it that year, too. Whatever. Uh, Raul Ibanez? Todd Zeile?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

UZWorm, you sure you want to make that trade?

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

I am fine with this, though Rex has been pitching pretty awesomely for me. I believe he is currently my closer, but that's fine, as I have Denny Rainwater! he's so dreamy waiting in the wings. I will ask though, are you sure you want Herrera? Last I checked, Scooter was hitting stupidly well for Marauder's Phoenixes. Either way works for me, and thanks.

I mean, I was going to throw Scutero in there as well but I didn't know if you had a limit on how many players I could grab or if you wanted Hamels enough to let me add a guy like Boone on. How much do you value Hamels? I mean, ideally I'd like to get all five of those guys but I doubt you'd accept that.

(Or, you know, better guys than that.)

Also, Smasher, you've known me how long?

UZworm fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 29, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Relievers! Sure, we got those. Can I interest you in the Lord of the LOOGYs, the Sinister Submariner, Mike Myers? Or perhaps the lyrically named Shiggy Hasegawa? World Series Champion Ryan Franklin? All of 2004 vintage. I suppose I can offer Dyar Miller ('76) or a huge pile of dudes from the 2012 Rockies, including :siren:Jamie Moyer:siren:!

These dudes are available to all, of course, not just those Bloggahs.

All these players are poop and poo poo, though. There's plenty of guys on your feeders I'm interested in, but you're tanking so you knew that. If you want to let me know what your actual roster looks like, I can make you an offer.

fake e: Oh god, UZWorm, please play Jonathan Herrera, please please please, I want to pass you in the standings.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
In This Thread: People implying that Vinny Castilla is a better third baseman than Johnny Herrera.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Mornacale posted:

All these players are poop and poo poo, though. There's plenty of guys on your feeders I'm interested in, but you're tanking so you knew that. If you want to let me know what your actual roster looks like, I can make you an offer.

quote:

Totally Irrelevant List of Pitchers:

Jim Palmer (1976 Orioles)
Mordecai Brown (1903 Cardinals)
Rafael Betancourt (2012 Rockies)
Rafael Soriano (2004 Mariners)

It will include those guys and Homer Smoot. Everyone else not on my current roster is for sale, and some who are! (not the best ones, obv) The feeders include some young arms on the Orioles and doubtless other nice things as well.

UZworm, I'll throw in Boone, maybe it'll patch your 2B hole.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
All right, slight change to tact here:

Proposal
Spooners trade:
2011 Cole Hamels

PMs trade:
2012 Rex Brothers
2012 Marco Scutero
2004 Bret Boone
2012 Matt Belisle

UZworm fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 29, 2013

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

UZworm posted:

All right, slight change to tact here:

Proposal
Spooners trade:
2011 Cole Hamels

PMs trade:
2012 Rex Brothers
2012 Marco Scutero
2004 Bret Boone
1976 Dyar Miller

That's a bad trade, man. One good pitcher for a bunch of borderline players, none of whom are starter quality in the super league. Don't trade a dollar for four quarters.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

tatankatonk posted:

That's a bad trade, man. One good pitcher for a bunch of borderline players, none of whom are starter quality in the super league. Don't trade a dollar for four quarters.

I don't really need Hamels, I need to turn my 'so lovely it hurts' bench into a 'well it sucks, but my eyes are bleeding slightly less' bench, and I have literally no trade pieces other than Hamels unless someone is really interested in Hooks Dauss or Andres Galarraga, so there's really no other types of trades I can make.

My own fault since I used lovely feeder teams with no depth in them, I suppose.

Double Edit: Changed the trade above with one Feeder reliever to another Feeder reliever that I was going to include in the first place but didn't because I'm dumb.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 29, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

It will include those guys and Homer Smoot. Everyone else not on my current roster is for sale, and some who are! (not the best ones, obv) The feeders include some young arms on the Orioles and doubtless other nice things as well.

I'm interested in '97 Scott Radinsky, plus I guess '76 Grant Jackson/'04 Putz/'12 Belisle. Make me an offer for some of those guys. Or multiple offers. Or whatever.

-----

By the way, Pander, if it's really Old Slaughter holding up the deal, what if we replace him with Clyde Shoun and Howie Krist? I don't want to commit to anything, because honestly these guys are all probably unplayable and I want to see what Sam Beckett will offer, but I'm just tossing it out there to discuss.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
I'd also be OK with it if someone would just offer one really good left fielder in exchange for Hamels.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

UZworm posted:

I'd also be OK with it if someone would just offer one really good left fielder in exchange for Hamels.

What year on galrraga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

UZworm posted:

If we're talking trades all of a sudden in here, I've got a shiny 2011 Cole Hamels up for sale for moderately cheap. I've built up a decent pitching staff now and I could use a moderately decent C, LF, 2B or 3B to help start building a decent hitting team to go with it.

I have a couple of other guys I can offer along with Hamels, but most of the guys I'd say are on my trade block are spare pieces.

I can give you Roseboro and Kirk Gibson for Hamels.

Move The Chosen Dunn to LF, have The Saint take over 1B for a week.

Also, let the record state I voted Rance in originally anyway, so B!