Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

pakman posted:

I am really confused after reading this book, but I'm assuming that most of the big story points are wrapped up in The Crippled God[/spoiler]

This is at least true for the stuff you posted about, although there are some bits left unresolved by the end of TCG.

Tool has decided that the Imass need to go to war with humanity and the other Imass child races, primarily because of the Senan and what they did to Hetan. I believe Toc was denying him entry to the afterlife and forcing him to stay undead and vent his anger rather than pass on. I have no idea why Olar Ethil wanted Tool to kill humans.

I believe the new warrens are just a new set of warrens that aren't being poisoned by TCG, but I have no idea why Icarium made them or why he wanted to make them in the first place since his machine had been there for thousands of year. The whole thing with Sinn and Grub going on walkabouts is them travelling the new warrens. I don't know that they're more powerful specifically, it's just that Sinn is a very strong mage.

And yeah - Dust of Dreams is the weakest of the books taken on its own, because 90% of it is really just set up for The Crippled God. The preface does point out it's a two-parter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Stew Man Chew posted:

I love that even people who have read the entire series can post here about events and characters and I, another person who has read the entire series, can have no loving idea what they're talking about nor be able to adequately answer questions.

You forget a lot from not doing rereads too, I've already forgotten half of the minor plot points and names of one off characters. That's the strength and weakness of such a large series.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

You forget a lot from not doing rereads too, I've already forgotten half of the minor plot points and names of one off characters. That's the strength and weakness of such a large series.

I'm only just finishing up Midnight Tides for the first time, but there's just an absolute ton to keep straight in these books. It also doesn't help that I've weaved between reading this and ASOIAF at times, and I'm a slow reader.

Knowing that I'm just getting out of the set up phase for this series makes it feel daunting but I can't wait, I absolutely love it.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I just jumped into the series again after a long lull in my reading, I'm on DoD atm and I'm confused about something in regards to the Shake. Why do they just suddenly back up and leave their homeland? What's with all of this "Shore" business?

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 30, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's revealed further on in the book if you keep reading. IIRC they were introduced with DoD, so you've not missed anything (Twilight was in previous books but that stuff was never really brought up).

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Finally finished my six month long reread-everything-then-read-TCG-athon. :toot:

I really thought the whole epic stuff wasn't as good as the more basic military fantasy from the start of the series. That, and there's something that bugs me:

There doesn't seem to be any kind of gradual transition from "the Crippled God is the BBEG" to "TCG is actually super nice and on the good guys' side." (book 10 spoilers)

I'm not going to spoil too much, but there's a general theme going on where people are monsters because of the monstrous things that were done to them. You see it with Tool, you see it with the Tyrant in the third book, and you see it with Rhulad. The Crippled God is the same way, he was torn from his reality, chained here and left to suffer. What he does isn't good but it's not unreasonable either.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NovemberMike posted:

I'm not going to spoil too much, but there's a general theme going on where people are monsters because of the monstrous things that were done to them. You see it with Tool, you see it with the Tyrant in the third book, and you see it with Rhulad. The Crippled God is the same way, he was torn from his reality, chained here and left to suffer. What he does isn't good but it's not unreasonable either.

Yeah, I get that - the problem I had is that there's no point at which it's explained how or why Tavore and friends hatch the plan to save him/send him back, and when he's free he ends up not being a dick, unlike when he's in his tent or when people are dealing with the Blessed Lady.

It was also weird seeing all of the people who were doing their best to oppose him suddenly turn into his worshippers.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, I get that - the problem I had is that there's no point at which it's explained how or why Tavore and friends hatch the plan to save him/send him back, and when he's free he ends up not being a dick, unlike when he's in his tent or when people are dealing with the Blessed Lady.

It was also weird seeing all of the people who were doing their best to oppose him suddenly turn into his worshippers.

I always assumed it had something to do with Paran being the Master of the Deck. E.g. he decided he was tired of the Crippled God's poo poo so hatched a plan with his sister to work it all out. Then again, I remember passages saying that Paran and Tavore never communicated, so I really have no idea if that theory holds weight.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
And then you have felisin, worst Paran

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

polyfractal posted:

I always assumed it had something to do with Paran being the Master of the Deck. E.g. he decided he was tired of the Crippled God's poo poo so hatched a plan with his sister to work it all out. Then again, I remember passages saying that Paran and Tavore never communicated, so I really have no idea if that theory holds weight.

(TCG)It seems like Shadowthrone and Cotillion were heavily involved all along too, so maybe they were in cahoots with Tavore. What do we really know about her, anyway? Her girlfriend turned out to be a random pre-humanity goddess? What was the eres'al up to?

devnulll
Jun 17, 2012

I'd hit that.
"Too many words" is right! I was working out of town last year and read all the books back to back and it kicked my rear end. About seven books in it was like a self-inflicted endurance challenge. I read it on a kindle. One of the few things I miss about a paper book is being able to quickly navigate to glossary/maps/reference lists to keep poo poo sorted out in huge epics with a ton funky names for characters/tribes/geography/etc. The technology is there for supplemental dictionaries so maybe at some point I can just highlight the gibberish and get clued in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm on House of Chains on my re-read now. Since I only got about 200 pages into Toll the Hounds before stopping I might have missed it. Does Treach have a shield anvil and they'll be revealed to me or is it not a position? If he does don't tell me who it is since I'll read on and find out but it seems like something I'd have remembered otherwise

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

He does, yes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

(TCG)It seems like Shadowthrone and Cotillion were heavily involved all along too, so maybe they were in cahoots with Tavore. What do we really know about her, anyway? Her girlfriend turned out to be a random pre-humanity goddess? What was the eres'al up to?

To my reading, launching the plan to free TCG was what set Kellanved and Dancer on their path to attain ascendancy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

He does, yes.

Thanks. I hope I don't burn out reading through all the books at such a fast pace. At the minute I'm remembering enough to be amazed at the foreshadowing going on

Oxybeles
Feb 1, 2013
I may or may not have thrown my book across the room when two beautifully written characters were mourned over by a valiant animal companion, and my wife needed to leave me alone for a few hours to recover.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

One good example of how intricate this series is
how in Memories of Ice the Bridgeburners find a dead Tiste Edur, while infiltrating the Pannion Seers Domain, who apparently have been killed by being submerged and crushed by the pressure in the sea. Later we find out in Midnight Tides that the Tiste Edur comes from when Bugg/Mael saves Tehol from being bludgeoned to death by the Tiste Edur and his friends.

It was my first :psyduck: moment of the series.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cardiac posted:

One good example of how intricate this series is
how in Memories of Ice the Bridgeburners find a dead Tiste Edur, while infiltrating the Pannion Seers Domain, who apparently have been killed by being submerged and crushed by the pressure in the sea. Later we find out in Midnight Tides that the Tiste Edur comes from when Bugg/Mael saves Tehol from being bludgeoned to death by the Tiste Edur and his friends.

It was my first :psyduck: moment of the series.

This moment seems to get brought up on a monthly basis here. I think I still prefer everything that ends up revolving around the Silanda. Specifically, the corpse we originally find speared to the Captain's chair, and which initially seems to be just a minor curiosity quickly forgotten.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

This moment seems to get brought up on a monthly basis here. I think I still prefer everything that ends up revolving around the Silanda. Specifically, the corpse we originally find speared to the Captain's chair, and which initially seems to be just a minor curiosity quickly forgotten.

That was Karsa doing his thing right?

I keep forgetting stuff, so I guess the time approaches for my 3rd read through of the series. Erikson, why did you have to cram your books with so many storylines interacting in subtle manners and forcing me to do this yet again. :negative:

At least I don't have this inclination for WoT or ASoIaF.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 6, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cardiac posted:

It was.

I completely failed to connect the two events the first time I read those books, and finally managed to piece it together on my complete reread.

e; vvv yep, it was.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 6, 2013

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Cardiac posted:

And I believe the corpse was Binadas Sengar.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

So I think I have just read some of the most important chapters in TCG. I started this morning watching Hood eat the face of a Fokrul Assail while Shurk Ellale and Felash were standing by. The Perish have basically deposed Mortal Sword Krughava and are going to "kill all humans," it seems instead of helping the adjunct. Brys has figured out that he's been given back to the world to so something, but he's not sure what. And lastly, I read the chapter where Erikson goes up the column of the little groups and their thought on the night's march across the desert where it ends with Fiddler basically saying they're all going to die, and that historians are going to say they worshipped the Crippled God and failed in defending him. I think.

I really don't know what's going on at this point. Is Tavore a worshipper of TCG? I don't think she is because Krughava said that she feels nothing except compassion. Why is Tavore going after the TCG's heart? What exactly are the Forkrul Assail doing with it? I guess I just need to keep reading, but the whole time these past few hours was nothing but one :tviv: moment after another.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Leospeare posted:

All correct. You find the corpse, then find out from his killer's perspective how it got there, then later from a third party who that corpse would have been, and then even later those events influence the resolution of both the Edur conquest of Letheras and more specifically of Rhulad. All from a seeming side detail mentioned in passing in Book 2 (this stuff doesn't resolve completely until the end of book 7). I admit I did manage to put these separate things together on my initial read-through, but don't worry because it took until my current go-around (fourth, in preparation for the Karkhanas novels) to catch the conversations between Paran, Draconus, and K'rul in freaking GotM that set the groundwork for the Gate of Darkness being intentionally bound within Dragnipur . Three times through the series before (I reread for each of DoD and TCG) , and I still thought that concept wasn't really introduced until the last 3 books.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

pakman posted:

So I think I have just read some of the most important chapters in TCG. I started this morning watching Hood eat the face of a Fokrul Assail while Shurk Ellale and Felash were standing by. The Perish have basically deposed Mortal Sword Krughava and are going to "kill all humans," it seems instead of helping the adjunct. Brys has figured out that he's been given back to the world to so something, but he's not sure what. And lastly, I read the chapter where Erikson goes up the column of the little groups and their thought on the night's march across the desert where it ends with Fiddler basically saying they're all going to die, and that historians are going to say they worshipped the Crippled God and failed in defending him. I think.

I really don't know what's going on at this point. Is Tavore a worshipper of TCG? I don't think she is because Krughava said that she feels nothing except compassion. Why is Tavore going after the TCG's heart? What exactly are the Forkrul Assail doing with it? I guess I just need to keep reading, but the whole time these past few hours was nothing but one :tviv: moment after another.

Don't worry too much about Tavore. Nothing she has done or will do is as it seems, which you've probably gathered by now. And I don't recall the stuff you mention re: the Perish, but I've only read TCG once. Still, may be worth revisiting their last chapter for a clearer idea.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Leospeare posted:

Best thing was the murder weapon changing from a harpoon to a Barghast spear midflight. Not quite up there with Lorn's sword in MOI for plot discrepancies, but it's the little things that you notice.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
... But weren't Barghasts a seafaring culture, who might have used spears that look like harpoons?

Just a thought.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Illuyankas posted:

Best thing was the murder weapon changing from a harpoon to a Barghast spear midflight. Not quite up there with Lorn's sword in MOI for plot discrepancies, but it's the little things that you notice.

My favourite example is in GotM, with Crokus' colour-changing hair. First it was black, and then about 15 pages later it was brown. Must be his amazing innate magical talents.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Illuyankas posted:

Best thing was the murder weapon changing from a harpoon to a Barghast spear midflight.

I don't remember exactly, but this sounds like a PoV description. A Barghast spear appearing on a ship may as well be considered an harpoon (due to its size and context) by someone who has never seen before a Barghast or a Barghast spear.

fed_dude
May 31, 2004
I finished Blood and Bones, and have now read all the books other than the short stories and Knight of Knives. Anyone know when the 6th Esselmont book is expected? I wanna see Asail!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm onto Midnight Tides in my reread. Would I be making a mistake to skip it and continue on? I remember it being very slow reading last time and vaguely remember the important plot points, just not the characters. With the speed I'm reading I don't think it'll matter too much mind

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm onto Midnight Tides in my reread. Would I be making a mistake to skip it and continue on? I remember it being very slow reading last time and vaguely remember the important plot points, just not the characters. With the speed I'm reading I don't think it'll matter too much mind

Yes, you'd be making a mistake. MT is always slow for me at first, because it's sort of like starting a different series. But it picks up and also lays groundwork for books ...well, pretty much the rest of them.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Habibi posted:

Yes, you'd be making a mistake. MT is always slow for me at first, because it's sort of like starting a different series. But it picks up and also lays groundwork for books ...well, pretty much the rest of them.

It also introduces you to some great characters. Tehold and Bugg, how I miss reading about you. :allears:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

rizzen posted:

It also introduces you to some great characters. Tehold and Bugg, how I miss reading about you. :allears:

Erikson could easily write an entire series based on "The great adventures of Tehol and Bugg" where we can enjoy their shenanigans.

On a side note, I think if Erikson ever put Kruppe and Tehol in the same spot the whole world would implode.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I want to see Erikson write a book where Kruppe, Tehol and Iskaral Pust's mule go on an adventure together.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've bee n on the internet too long because I can only see that turning into a horrible slashfic.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I've bee n on the internet too long because I can only see that turning into a horrible slashfic.

That's normal. When all you can see is it turning into some overly expressive erotica, then you'll know you've been online too long.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rizzen posted:

Yeah, I considered that part of the 'laying the groundwork.' That was even intended to be a sort of pun on those two (think along the lines of what they used to crash the economy)... ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Habibi posted:

That's normal. When all you can see is it turning into some overly expressive erotica, then you'll know you've been online too long.
Worst dirty talking ever while Kruppe is railing Tehol.

And you know Pust would be watching through a Porky's-esque peephole

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

rizzen posted:

I decided to push on and caught up with them. Also realised I remember barely anything so definitely going to continue. Not sure how I remembered both Hull and Brys but not Tehol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Worst dirty talking ever while Kruppe is railing Tehol.

And you know Pust would be watching through a Porky's-esque peephole

Actually, Pust would be sitting in the very same room, in the corner, perched on a stool with his hands over his face, muttering, "Look at these fools, blithely satisfying their basest needs, all the while unawares of my presence, seated as I am on the other side of this wall, observing through a virtually undetectable peephole. But, wait! See them stop; glance in my direction. Aiee! Am I discovered? But no, they resume their blasphemous pleasuring. No doubt their momentary distraction was caused by my unequaled masculinity, creeping - creeping? - striding purposefully, yes, through the very wall to snag their attention with its thick, calloused hands..." (does this really need a spoiler? who even knows anymore?)