Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Iacen posted:

According to a lenghty write-up on Eurogamer, Nintendo's gonna release their third-quarter sales, which'll reveal just how many consoles they have sold (something I've been unable to find for Europe).
Eurogamer's article isn't really positive and continue the old doom gloom thing, but I still think it's a reasonable article.

quote:

Industry analysts are more wary. "The performance so far is below my expectations," said Michael Pachter, famed crystal ball gazer at Wedbush Securities. "In fairness, [Nintendo's] forecast of 5.5 million global consoles shipped by 31st March was the reason my expectations were higher. The stock at retail suggests that they did ship around a million to the US [in time for Christmas], but they were not sold out. By way of comparison, they sold 1,090,000 Wiis in November and December 2006 in the US and were sold out.

"This device is simply not as highly in demand," he continued, "and although I didn't expect it to be over the long run, I did expect Nintendo fanboys to support it in bigger numbers at launch. It really is amazing that there are so few true hardcore Nintendo fanboys in the US, but they make so much noise."

Isn't this the same logic he used for the PS3 launch back in 06?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Policenaut posted:

I thought ZombiU was pretty sweet, even if the developers just admitted that we deserved better melee combat.

I'll concur. I'd say so far ZombiU, NSMBU, and Sonic Racing. Nintendoland too for being far better and having more to it than anyone ever expected it to be.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Michael Pachter is almost always wrong about anything he ever says. So much so even people who feature him on shows or articles and such call the things he says "Pachterisms"

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 29, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Commissar Ken posted:

I'll concur. I'd say so far ZombiU, NSMBU, and Sonic Racing. Nintendoland too for being far better and having more to it than anyone ever expected it to be.

Yeah, that's a good list. ZombiU, NSMBU, and Sonic Racing get my vote as well, though I didn't get Nintendoland, so I can't say anything about that.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

People are still saying "Wii U sales arent a ridiculous anomaly like the fastest selling system in the history of the universe? DOOM AND GLOOM!"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Gutcruncher posted:

People are still saying "Wii U sales arent a ridiculous anomaly like the fastest selling system in the history of the universe? DOOM AND GLOOM!"

There seriously does seem to be an element of "didn't do Wii numbers? FAILED SELL ALL YOUR NINTENDO STOCK!!!"

What's funny is they did the same thing for the 3DS, and it created the idea in the "gamer" community that the 3DS was a failure, too. Which still persists, despite the fact that it's selling great, I believe better than the DS at the same point in its lifecycle? (I might be wrong on that last bit)

edit: Also, how unprofessional was Pachter?

quote:

"This device is simply not as highly in demand," he continued, "and although I didn't expect it to be over the long run, I did expect Nintendo fanboys to support it in bigger numbers at launch. It really is amazing that there are so few true hardcore Nintendo fanboys in the US, but they make so much noise."
An analyst at a major firm (and sorta THE analyst for video games, as far as investors are concerned) said that in an official statement? That sounds like a pretentious message board post. Fanboys, indeed.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

theflyingorc posted:

What's funny is they did the same thing for the 3DS, and it created the idea in the "gamer" community that the 3DS was a failure, too. Which still persists, despite the fact that it's selling great, I believe better than the DS at the same point in its lifecycle? (I might be wrong on that last bit)

Yeah I'm sure the clearly rushed price drop had nothing to do with people thinking the 3DS was doing poorly. It's great that theyve managed to turn things around there but lets not kid ourselves and say the 3DS lagging sales were just people setting their hopes too high for sales.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I wish Nintendo did not publicly state that 5.5 million number or any number at all.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Xavier434 posted:

I wish Nintendo did not publicly state that 5.5 million number or any number at all.

They have to, for investors and all that businessy stuff. Could've low-balled it a little, say 4 mil, but then all the articles would be about how "Nintendo doesn't think their new console will sell at all!" They'll probably get close to that 5.5 number, but if they even barely miss it the ol' doom n gloom will be back.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nintendo: "We sold exactly 5.5 Million console like we expected."

Games Journalist the following day: "Nintendo failed to exceed expectations!"

kater
Nov 16, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty sure the 3DS in the US sold worse this year than last year. Which, I dunno, seems not great.

Static Rook posted:

They have to, for investors and all that businessy stuff. Could've low-balled it a little, say 4 mil, but then all the articles would be about how "Nintendo doesn't think their new console will sell at all!" They'll probably get close to that 5.5 number, but if they even barely miss it the ol' doom n gloom will be back.

Low-balling in this context makes no sense, the forecast isn't just tossing a dart or deciding to be conservative. It's Nintendo estimating their product's demand and their ability to meet it. Missing it isn't a big deal financially but it's interesting as a sign of the market. All these people taking it as a sign specific only to Nintendo are a bit short-sighted though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Static Rook posted:

They could have handed out numbers like this in closed door meetings with certain shareholders and employees if they wanted to. That puts them in a position to enjoy benefits from both worlds while focusing on the long term instead of just Q1 investor activity.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

People still listen to Pachter? When has he been right about anything ever?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

People still listen to Pachter? When has he been right about anything ever?

He somehow correctly predicted the Wii HD. :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's like predicting that Microsoft will have a new console at some point.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I hate when companies are public.

So much unneeded bullshit.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Policenaut posted:

I thought ZombiU was pretty sweet, even if the developers just admitted that we deserved better melee combat.

So maybe they'll make a sequel, England's a bigger place than we saw and surely the Ravens of Dee are more than just the couple we saw. I had more than enough ammunition typically once I learned to be patient with my shots and do shoves, plus finding a dead survivor bristling with handgun ammo now and then.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Aww yeah, some sort of picture drawing game in Game & Wario.

Looks like it'll be a drat solid set of games to bust out with a group of people over, I'm really getting excited for it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I have never considered the concept of iSketch/Pictionary on Wii U but now it's all I can think about after seeing that picture.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I want a new Wario DIY!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tomb raider devs excuse for not bringing their game over to the Wii U is not wanting to "half-rear end" the tablet features. :psyduck: Just be honest like Crytek and say it doesn't make financial sense to port the title over.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Tomb raider devs excuse for not bringing their game over to the Wii U is not wanting to "half-rear end" the tablet features. :psyduck: Just be honest like Crytek and say it doesn't make financial sense to port the title over.

I don't really care if it's "half-rear end" to put a map or menu on the GamePad for multiplatform titles if they play the same. It still improves the game having an active map. It really does sound like another excuse.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

limaCAT posted:

I want a new Wario DIY!

You and me both, buddy. :smith:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, I am completely comfortable with single-screen games being ported without significant extra features, because that still means Gamepad-only mode and/or use of the super-comfy Pro Controller.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

limaCAT posted:

I want a new Wario DIY!

Maybe not take the online features out after a year.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Just let them all be played on the pad and I'll gladly buy them all.

Let WiiU Exclusives use the gamepad in unique ways, let multiplatform titles just let me lay down on a bed and play any game I want without turning on the TV.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Destructoid ran a rant the other day that pretty much covers everything I'd want to say:
http://www.destructoid.com/developers-what-s-your-issue-with-the-wii-u-gamepad--243371.phtml

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Even just screen doubling and offering remote play like Assassin's Creed 3 does would be plenty enough to me. I love that feature, I don't need some dumb touchscreen gimmick in every game I play.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

deadwing posted:

Aww yeah, some sort of picture drawing game in Game & Wario.

Looks like it'll be a drat solid set of games to bust out with a group of people over, I'm really getting excited for it.

So are those pictures on the right side people who are by you in the same room playing together or is this somehow an online WarioWare with people on your friends list being able to have that little camera on the tablet on?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So are those pictures on the right side people who are by you in the same room playing together or is this somehow an online WarioWare with people on your friends list being able to have that little camera on the tablet on?

It's just a screenshot with no information attached to it, but I'd be willing to bet that everyone passes around the Gamepad at the start of the game to take a picture.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Nick at Nite posted:

Even just screen doubling and offering remote play like Assassin's Creed 3 does would be plenty enough to me. I love that feature, I don't need some dumb touchscreen gimmick in every game I play.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel. However I really don't care that much about the sales numbers, the system has really nothing on it that's comparable to the good Wii titles yet IMO. And going by past Nintendo launches it's usualy taken them a long time to get things going. The current worst case scenario is probably the dreamcast that died after 2 years due to lack of intrest and Sega's past record. However that system has a solid 60+ something games that are worth getting even today.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably gonna get one of these before or rather than an Xbox whatever. I need my new smash bros.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The only thing that concerns me about the Wii U VC transfer is that it will likely be annoying (1 transaction per upgrade or some poo poo) and piecemeal. I'd be so down for pretty much the entire Wii VC catalog available at once, and push a button to blow $70 or whatever the upgrade will cost all at once.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

theflyingorc posted:

edit: Also, how unprofessional was Pachter?

An analyst at a major firm (and sorta THE analyst for video games, as far as investors are concerned) said that in an official statement? That sounds like a pretentious message board post. Fanboys, indeed.

Yeah, really. I mean this is a grown-rear end man. He's such a rude dick, honestly.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Man, I'm bummed. A few months ago I saw that Nintendo was putting out a history of Zelda ("Hyrule Hystoria") and I preordered it immediately. I forgot about it until it was delivered tonight. It's fantastic...but it seems to have a LOT of information from Skyward Sword, which I haven't played yet. :(

At least this is an excuse to go buy the game, right?

So pretty:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yeah, really. I mean this is a grown-rear end man. He's such a rude dick, honestly.

It's almost like anyone in any position can be a rude dick and you should judge people by their character and not their career.

Video game stock analysts are like loving rain dancers. If the rain comes oh poo poo they were right holy gently caress, if it doesn't come they just come up with a new dance and everyone forgets the drought.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel. However I really don't care that much about the sales numbers, the system has really nothing on it that's comparable to the good Wii titles yet IMO. And going by past Nintendo launches it's usualy taken them a long time to get things going. The current worst case scenario is probably the dreamcast that died after 2 years due to lack of intrest and Sega's past record. However that system has a solid 60+ something games that are worth getting even today.
The Dreamcast is almost as much an oddity as the Wii. It's like Bizarro Wii: instead of a long cycle with frustrating droughts, its a flood of great games in a few years.

It's impossible to predict interest, but there are several factors that make a Dreamcast-caliber failure unlikely. The biggest being that Nintendo has much deeper pockets than Sega did in 2000. (Not to mention that it's very easy to create and run pirated Dreamcast discs)

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 30, 2013

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bobnumerotres posted:

Every studio that doesn't want to do "half-rear end" tablet features should just port the game and include the ability to play it on the gamepad. If I have a choice between a game on multiple platforms the gamepad play feature would probably sell me on the Wii U version.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rirse posted:

Maybe not take the online features out after a year.

DIYs online stuff was still working as of a few months ago. They just need to make the distribution automatic and it'll be GOTY

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

The Dreamcast is almost as much an oddity as the Wii. It's like Bizarro Wii: instead of a long cycle with frustrating droughts, its a flood of great games in a few years.

It's impossible to predict interest, but there are several factors that make a Dreamcast-caliber failure unlikely. The biggest being that Nintendo has much deeper pockets than Sega did in 2000. (Not to mention that it's very easy to create and run pirated Dreamcast discs)

Yeah I guess the DC is sort of like a Bizarro Wii, I never really thought of it that way. Allthough the last year of the Wii's cycle was actually drought free for the most part, a system exclusive game was coming out like every month or so that was actually worth getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Allthough the last year of the Wii's cycle was actually drought free for the most part, a system exclusive game was coming out like every month or so that was actually worth getting.

Not even close.

• Locked thread