Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

poo poo, me too. Sounds like the good bits of EVE without all the terrible, terrible bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

A small bit from the Age of Wushu Thread:

A GM character being sold off into slavery. (It's not really harmful, but it's still funny that you can do that to GMs.)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I can't say enough about Age of Wushu - it should be a terrible Chinese MMO but it's actually wonderful, assuming your main goal is to be a giant dick.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So...

It's like EVE, except not 90% boring watching your spaceship travel faster than light and not interact with anything?

drat, I better check this out!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Zereth posted:

So...

It's like EVE, except not 90% boring watching your spaceship travel faster than light and not interact with anything?

drat, I better check this out!

The way i've described it to others, it's basically the best parts of open world MMO's like EVE and UO, minus the horrid poo poo (Like lovely combat, lots of forced downtime, etc, etc.) they tend to include. So yes, it's basically those games if they were actually fun and not spreadsheet simulators.

The game also includes a batshit insane number of features for pretty much any kind of person. We're talking more traditional MMO stuff, to playing investigator and getting friendly with NPC's, to loving Harvest Moon style farming, of all things. Hell, the game even lets you get out a chinese lute and start up a Guitar Hero-esque minigame to rock out at will.

To give you an idea of the sheer range of things you can do, begging for money is an actual profession you can pick up in the game, not just something newbies do outside the auction house in chat. And if that doesn't give you an idea of how big the game is feature wise, one of the culture jobs is being a painter of fine art.

It's honestly impossible to describe the sheer number of things you can do in the game. In fact, several people have bitched now in guild chat and voice chat over how hard it'd be to work it out into a readable format for a thread.

It'd probably be easier just to design a wiki, than it would be to try to cram all the crap we know about into an OP. And believe me, given that we discover new poo poo every day, we definitely don't know everything about the game yet. The words "It was a learning experience!" are starting to sound a bit meme like after a few weeks of playing.

Obviously, the sheer number of features makes for a fair amount of dickery, too.

Just tonight we pretty much overran, burned, and pillaged a guild's stronghold before stealing all their servants working in the fortress. Because that's a feature. You can actually burn down a guild's home, drive the pubbies before you, hear the lamentations of their women, then steal their women out from under their nose all while they rage at you in zone chat for being an utter bastard.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 27, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Eruonen posted:

The last bunch of posts on Age of Wushu are pretty much the best advertising the game could have. I am totally sold and can't wait to start playing next week!

Yeah holy poo poo, I saw this before on Steam Greenlight and was like "Another Korean grind MMO? PASS" and now I'm furiously reading the OP for the MMOHMO thread. Thanks griefing dudes!

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Archonex posted:

And if that doesn't give you an idea of how big the game is feature wise, one of the culture jobs is being a painter of fine art.

Can you actually draw things? Either way this sounds amazing, and I'm going to try this as soon as I can.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Can you really play Go through the game? If so I might join up just to mess around and play Go with people.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

0lives posted:

Can you actually draw things? Either way this sounds amazing, and I'm going to try this as soon as I can.

Someone I talked too said it's possibly a feature in the Chinese version. No idea if they were bullshitting me, though. If not, then i'm guessing you can eventually (once it's in) draw your own pictures to give out as XP upgrades to other classes. Which means you can literally give people pictures of dicks to improve their skills.

Also, you can most certainly play Go. It can even give you buffs as well. You can even observe matches that are in progress. Which means players can heckle you if you suck at playing it.

Several of the goons have it as their "culture" skill. And one of them griefed the goons with it by deliberately drawing a game out against another goon by like 30 minutes when we needed him for an instance. It was admittedly really drat funny, since he was getting utterly curb-stomped by the other guy who knew how to play, but was determined enough to do every single possible move on the board. I guess it doesn't count as losing if you make the other guy quit in frustration. :v:

Another goon apparently used it to infiltrate the scholar's school while doing a spy task, too. The scholar's school, being a school of crazy feudal intellectuals, has a gigantic Go board built into it that's large enough to use players as pieces. So he and a friend played Go to blend in, before tracking down the intelligence they needed to get once suspicion was off of them.

This is probably getting a bit off topic, though. Not sure what the rules are for the griefing topic when you're talking about a game with so much potential there.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 27, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I miss playing Go and may join just for that!

(ps. will anyone get mad if I call it weiqi and tell everyone it was invented by the chinese?)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

I miss playing Go and may join just for that!

(ps. will anyone get mad if I call it weiqi and tell everyone it was invented by the chinese?)

The skill is called Weiqi playing. So you'll probably just look like an idiot trying to impress people badly.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I don't think I've laughed as hard as I would after reading that Age of Wushu, especially the mass naked practice.

I gotta check this out when I get home, because if there's one thing that makes a great game, its having a shitload of options to make other people fuming mad by just playing the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Warning to people like me interested: apparently the first 10 hours of access before you go to 1 hour/day have to be used in the first 48 hours after you log on the first time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Tarezax posted:

Can you really play Go through the game? If so I might join up just to mess around and play Go with people.

No one can stop the game for 5 minutes. This doesn't play by modern rules as well. So if someone starts playing they are stuck there. If both people pass their turns it is over, or if one surrenders. Thankfully a lot of people don't know where this button is.

In fact, the scholar school has a huge go board you can not play on. But I would go there and spy on scholars as a royal guard. If a player patrol came to me and started to look at me thinking I was spying, I'd run to a Weiqi npc, stare at it, then turn around and challenge the scholar to go.

So many patrols have ignored me just because I run around with Weiqi Expert above my head.

EDIT: /\/\/\/\ I tried to make a point of this in the OP. The game is pay for beta right now unless you want to be limited 1 hour per day. Beta costs 10 bucks or 20 bucks. 10 through the game or 20 from the website. Most goons have paid for it so far. The game will be F2P when it launches and it has been pushed back due to ENGRISH and chinese UI issues.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 27, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Age of Wushu is truly a grief machine. In game, every player chooses from a school of Martial Arts or what have you. Each school has a set of abilities, but you can learn other school's abilities by stealing their books during an event. In this event, players either defend or attack the school. Now, attacking the school to take books can be difficult and time consuming. The roads are long and people attacking the school can also attack you to steal the books if you're carrying it.

So, why do all the hard work? Instead of attacking the schools, goons set up a blockade at a major road junction and proceed to slaughter every book carrying player coming through, thus stealing the books from the people who stole them in the first place, running back to turn them in and coming back for more. The pubbie tears are absurd and people loving hate us for this. :allears:

The actual roadblock is hilarious too as we yank people off their horses and away from quick travel NPCs, murdering them in a massive brawl. Even the highest level players don't stand a chance against a swarm of newbies because they spend the entire time stunned and unable to act. It's something amazing to watch and participate in.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Age of Wushu is a game where you can play Murder Batman. Other players are the only real justice system in the game, so there's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing something awesome like jumping off a roof into a crowded marketplace, killing some poor bastard at random and running straight up the nearest wall to escape before anyone notices. Kind of feels like a Kung-Fu Assassin's Creed with the added bonus of pubbie tears.

Come, friends. Come and be the agent of chaos you were never allowed to be.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Hobo Siege posted:

Age of Wushu is a game where you can play Murder Batman. Other players are the only real justice system in the game, so there's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing something awesome like jumping off a roof into a crowded marketplace, killing some poor bastard at random and running straight up the nearest wall to escape before anyone notices. Kind of feels like a Kung-Fu Assassin's Creed with the added bonus of pubbie tears.

Come, friends. Come and be the agent of chaos you were never allowed to be.

Do the moderators/gms/whatever the gently caress give a poo poo about scamming or anything? or can you do whatever the gently caress you like so as you don't compromise account information or involve Real Money like in EVE?

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Do the moderators/gms/whatever the gently caress give a poo poo about scamming or anything? or can you do whatever the gently caress you like so as you don't compromise account information or involve Real Money like in EVE?

We don't know yet. The classic 'put a thing up on the market for 1 x instead of 1 y' is perfectly legit so far, but nobody has managed another form of scam or if they are, they aren't sharing, and it's a risky area.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

GreenAcidRage posted:

We don't know yet. The classic 'put a thing up on the market for 1 x instead of 1 y' is perfectly legit so far, but nobody has managed another form of scam or if they are, they aren't sharing, and it's a risky area.

What do you mean exactly? Like tricking people into buying things for way more than they are worth?

Have you guys been unable to pull the classic recruitment scam in this game? Or do people hate goons too much to want to join?

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
Please post griefing videos of Wushu. I don't have much time to game and my tolerance of MMOs is low, but this sounds loving amazing and I'm on the brink of installing.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

Have you guys been unable to pull the classic recruitment scam in this game? Or do people hate goons too much to want to join?
Yeah, for obvious reasons goons are loving loathed in this game. For example, after said script-stealing event tonight we got into a brawl with no less than five different guilds.

Slappy Moose posted:

Please post griefing videos of Wushu. I don't have much time to game and my tolerance of MMOs is low, but this sounds loving amazing and I'm on the brink of installing.
Not quite that, but here's one of the guild wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNT4rDcggXs

Also, this banner ad highlights some of the pubbie tears extracted thus far (featuring all-authentic quotes):

The Vampirate
Apr 12, 2011

by T. Finninho
I like to go into Dungeon Crawl and make overpowered early game builds, get great gear, then die around floor six. Over, and over. I'll get people coming into my game "your ghosts are everywhere!"

For those who don't know in Dungeon Crawl when you die your character remains a ghost and shows up in other peoples games with the same gear and skills, so if you overgear and leave floor six unfinished, and then let yourself die someone on level six has to fight your overpowered ghost, and probably die. Best part is it is permadeath.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yeah, for obvious reasons goons are loving loathed in this game. For example, after said script-stealing event tonight we got into a brawl with no less than five different guilds.

Also, this banner ad highlights some of the pubbie tears extracted thus far (featuring all-authentic quotes):

I am downloading this loving immediately.

(Are there any classes needed in the clan? I'm going to pick up a Shaolin or a Beggar)

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Eox posted:

(Are there any classes needed in the clan? I'm going to pick up a Shaolin or a Beggar)

The good guy schools are less common, but whatever you find the most fun is what we need.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Urdnot Fire posted:

I always wonder if there's a way to stop goon infestations, whether by players or GM's.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The way they have in the past is by removing any fun mechanics and replacing them with nothing.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Urdnot Fire posted:

Okay wow, the Mulan music at the beginning was just perfect. I think you might have just convinced me to buy this game...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wait what's this about a "script-stealing" event?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait what's this about a "script-stealing" event?
It was previously mentioned here:

Tsurupettan posted:

Age of Wushu is truly a grief machine. In game, every player chooses from a school of Martial Arts or what have you. Each school has a set of abilities, but you can learn other school's abilities by stealing their books during an event. In this event, players either defend or attack the school. Now, attacking the school to take books can be difficult and time consuming. The roads are long and people attacking the school can also attack you to steal the books if you're carrying it.

So, why do all the hard work? Instead of attacking the schools, goons set up a blockade at a major road junction and proceed to slaughter every book carrying player coming through, thus stealing the books from the people who stole them in the first place, running back to turn them in and coming back for more. The pubbie tears are absurd and people loving hate us for this. :allears:

The actual roadblock is hilarious too as we yank people off their horses and away from quick travel NPCs, murdering them in a massive brawl. Even the highest level players don't stand a chance against a swarm of newbies because they spend the entire time stunned and unable to act. It's something amazing to watch and participate in.
And in tonight's event, pubbies tried to replicate our roadblock technique further down the road, with like five people instead of our fifty. Needless to say, even if any of them did extract a book from their roadblock, they were quickly cut down by ours.

Eox posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned in here yet, but Royal Guards have a technique that pulls people off their horse.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There are 8 schools in the game, which are essentially mini guilds for classes. It has player leadership from competitions and politics. Every day except for sunday, two schools are chosen, we think at random, to be the targets.

The defenders must defend their school and can not attack.
The other schools can assault the schools to steal their secret kung fu.

In this game you can learn another schools styles, even hidden styles, and use them, although at 10% as effective when you max it out. Some of these abilities have crowd control or utility that you want anyways, even if you will incur a global cool down for switching stances.

The defenders need to wait for attackers to take a book, then beat them down, then steal the book and run it back to their library.
The attackers must steal a book, get out of the zone, and teleport back to their school.
The scripts are going to be for the school that was defending and not for any other school and are a great source of money. Mind you this event only lasts 30 minutes.

So here comes john q pubbie. He warps to the school to steal a book, dodges all the guards, runs out of the main part of the school and heads for a quick way out. The carriage. Soon as he gets down there he runs into a ball of goons who throw chains into the air and pull him around. A drunken beggar suplexes him into the ground. Several people just grab him and beat him. Sure enough, he found goons. We run as a large group where everyone else runs solo. So we take his book and send a goon on the way via carriage back to his school to get a book. John gets up and tries to fight us and just dies again.

After dieing a few times, he respawns, runs back in there and gets another book. On his way out he decides to take an alternate way and go to the zone exit instead. He gets on his horse and starts ridding. As soon as he gets near the zone goons start kung fu flipping the gently caress out on him, pulling him around, tossing him in the air, spitting alcohol into his face, and just generally being not nice people. Once again a goon picks up the book and runs out of the zone and we just got another script.

Now instead of just one person losing a book, imagine it is 30 or 50. The school only has 100-500 books and we come out with a large percentage every single time. In fact we have had guilds go to war since we got their guild leader during one of these events and had a single man follow me around asking me about his 6 books we have taken from him and when he is getting them back.

Most of these books are worthless, but we get one or two cash cow books that everyone wants and end up selling to the people whom we stole it from.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 30, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Is the entire goon guild Wu Tang themed?

That's loving golden.

The hilarious thing ist hat goons are hated in even EVE but pubbies wills till throw you everything they own to join goons.

That banner ad reminds me of the first dude I ever scammed in EVE. He was just getting back into EVE, remembered that goons were awesome back in the day and decided he wanted to join. So after some talking and poo poo, he buys the whole security deposit thing, but bemoans his lack of isk to pay the measly five hundred million isk. Then he asks if he can pay me in a PLEX instead, the in-game timecards that are roughly worth five hundred million isk. This is convenient because PLEX are goddamn close to real money, and it's only kosher if the mark brings it up. So he decides to go buy some PLEX. He comes back, gives me the PLEX (well, to be fair, he gave it to another goon because I wasn't a full user yet and it's sort of awkward trading stuff around then), and then tells me that he bought a group of ten. (Which is discounted some from 15$/PLEX, but not lots.) He then says that since he didn't have the money for it in his account, he used his girlfriends credit card. Which he got out of her purse, because she was asleep.

Suffice to say, I promptly got a full account and went back to working on some other marks. A week later I say him in recruitment, trying to get a corp/alliance together with the dedicated purpose to 'kill goons'. And not like, singular attacks, but like, the Goonwaffe and/or the entire GSF.

:allears: I loving love EVE.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You didn't call yourselves Goon-Tang Clan, not interested.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The game has a lot of issues with localization. In some places it can't even use spaces.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When a bunch of Royal Guard roll together for school wars or whatever, it's a lot like the first 10 minutes of a movie where the huge bad guy army mows down some pathetic good guy resistance for the expressed purpose of showing they are evil, except with rope hooks instead of guns or swords.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Oh, Age of Wushu. How I wish my aging computer could run you.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Psalmanazar posted:

You didn't call yourselves Goon-Tang Clan, not interested.

We actually did.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Joining now.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Third World Reggin posted:

There are 8 schools in the game, which are essentially mini guilds for classes. It has player leadership from competitions and politics. Every day except for sunday, two schools are chosen, we think at random, to be the targets.

The defenders must defend their school and can not attack.
The other schools can assault the schools to steal their secret kung fu.

In this game you can learn another schools styles, even hidden styles, and use them, although at 10% as effective when you max it out. Some of these abilities have crowd control or utility that you want anyways, even if you will incur a global cool down for switching stances.

So being a roaring raging drunk with a straw coolie using other classes' skills for utility/hilarity is a thing in this game? I can play a beligerent, liquour spewing rear end in a top hat using the Royal Guard skill of GET OFF THE HORSE somehow and be useful?

I... I think I should give this a go.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Dinictus posted:

So being a roaring raging drunk with a straw coolie using other classes' skills for utility/hilarity is a thing in this game? I can play a beligerent, liquour spewing rear end in a top hat using the Royal Guard skill of GET OFF THE HORSE somehow and be useful?

I... I think I should give this a go.

The beggars also have an aerial piledriver move. Yup. Spins and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Oh God. I have to play this now. Why are you doing this to me, griefing thread? :negative:

• Locked thread