Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

He was the worst personality out of the eight guys they could have chosen, but sometimes you just need a smilin' babyface with a generic, whitebread "I'm doin' the right thing!" personality and a good boring moveset. There's always room for that in a company (it should be Justin Gabriel, but whatever). People are making him out to be worse than he is.

He's bad in the ring too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah he's still super green despite being in their system for a few years. if he's still not very good at all after all this time, I have to wonder if he's hit his ceiling already.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah he's still super green despite being in their system for a few years. if he's still not very good at all after all this time, I have to wonder if he's hit his ceiling already.

Nah I don't think he's hit his ceiling at 22 years old, I think what he needs is some training/experience outside of WWE.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That's what all of them need. International tours are best.

Favorite place where people develop is DG. So many indy dudes went from nobodies/just ok to completely awesome in 1 tour.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Nah I don't think he's hit his ceiling at 22 years old, I think what he needs is some training/experience outside of WWE.

that's true, I forgot how young he is, plus WWE doesn't really have the best trainers in the world I don't think.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I watched quite a few Smoky Mountain episodes, and after reading the Retro Observer I got all :smith:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

LordPants posted:

I watched quite a few Smoky Mountain episodes, and after reading the Retro Observer I got all :smith:

I was live at a couple of those. :smith:

Then, one story later, Big Dave gets all Big Davey. :allears:

quote:

The show opened with one of the weirdest interviews probably in wrestling history. Hulk Hogan, Sting and Savage came out. First Hogan dumped his black wrestling attire in a burning garbage can. He then went off on a tangent about "rag sheets" which is a term those in the business unfamiliar with how the real world operates refer to newsletters such as this (as if this newsletter should be put in a grouping with anything else). Hogan threw a tantrum about a report that said The Giant was going to win the Battle Royal (which couldn't have even come from here because the last thing we wrote on the subject was that Sting or Savage were the best bets to win) and how they were wrong, which pretty well tipped everyone off that the Giant wasn't going to win. He also said it was reported Savage wouldn't be in the show because of an arm injury (it had been known for weeks here that Savage was going to eschew surgery and work the Battle Royal). He then said that the Savage arm injury was a total swerve on everyone including the wrestlers in the dressing room and that Savage's arm was fine (Savage had legitimately torn his tricep and his left arm was barely half the size of the right). Even weirder was even if the injury wasn't real, the major storyline of the show is that Savage had an arm injury and the announcers never acknowledged Hogan's saying Savage's arm was fine. He then threw the "rag sheet" in the same burning garbage can saying "Observe this," and said that it was a dinosaur and that the internet is the real story. I suspect as his popularity and drawing power continues to drop he'll get even more bitter. Since it appeared to be directed at me, I took it as a tremendous compliment.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LordPants posted:

quote:

Cornette told the wrestlers that, barring a miracle, it would be the group's final show. At the end of the show, in a symbolic gesture, after the main event, all the faces and heels joined in, including the Heavenly Bodies, in attacking Cornette and leaving him for dead in the middle of the ring and he was carried back to the dressing room.

Amazing

Edit: Weird, Rick Rubin was a financier of SMW

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That excerpt from the Observer is fantastic, I really should resubscribe.

Cardboard Box posted:

that's true, I forgot how young he is, plus WWE doesn't really have the best trainers in the world I don't think.

I really don't understand why they don't appoint Regal as head trainer or at the very least a regular trainer down there. He's under contract and already does commentary work for NXT, and he really seems to have a good head for the business. All the advice he gives on twitter seems perfectly sensible at at least.

Of course, I'm just an untrained smark, but according to Wikipedia he trained Bryan Danielson at MCW and Danielson credits him as being instrumental in his career development.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Thauros posted:

I really don't understand why they don't appoint Regal as head trainer

Because they want generic CAWs like Billy Gunn, not wrestlers like Regal. Feature, not a bug.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
It's funny when people complain about Dave covering "too much UFC" in the Observer these days, because reading these archive issues he always covered a ton of MMA

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thauros posted:

I really don't understand why they don't appoint Regal as head trainer or at the very least a regular trainer down there. He's under contract and already does commentary work for NXT, and he really seems to have a good head for the business. All the advice he gives on twitter seems perfectly sensible at at least.

Of course, I'm just an untrained smark, but according to Wikipedia he trained Bryan Danielson at MCW and Danielson credits him as being instrumental in his career development.
You'd think HHH would be for that since was Regal one of his early mentors in WCW?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Because they want generic CAWs like Billy Gunn, not wrestlers like Regal. Feature, not a bug.

In fact, Vince thinks Regal's a BAD worker. Hence why he never got a big push in an in-ring role bar that King Regal run that he hosed up with the steroids.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Vince loves Regal to death, he just hates European style wrestling.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Capsaicin posted:

I was live at a couple of those. :smith:

Then, one story later, Big Dave gets all Big Davey. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1As4UVCkkKk
Awkward, Brother...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Meat Recital posted:

Vince loves Regal to death, he just hates European style wrestling.

Something Vince and I have in common :smug:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

Regal should be there to help with promos.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AOW this week is Johnny Gargano, so I'm expecting some hilarious stories.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would like to know what the hell this Sports Channel Ohio thing Dave talked about in relation to ECW is, because SportsTime Ohio, the channel that shows the Indians and Pro Wrestling Ohio, wasn't even a thing until 2006. I suppose he could mean Fox Sports Ohio, but that wouldn't just be a regional deal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I would like to know what the hell this Sports Channel Ohio thing Dave talked about in relation to ECW is, because SportsTime Ohio, the channel that shows the Indians and Pro Wrestling Ohio, wasn't even a thing until 2006. I suppose he could mean Fox Sports Ohio, but that wouldn't just be a regional deal.

You're not going back far enough. SportsChannelOhio became Fox Sports Ohio in '98.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

You're not going back far enough. SportsChannelOhio became Fox Sports Ohio in '98.

I had no idea that was even a thing. I wasn't around here much until 99 or so, so I guess that explains that.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm three weeks behind in podcasts so I only just found out via PM that I tied for second in the LAW's Rumble pool! :woop:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Hornswoggle's a huge PWG fan!

And he gets death threats every week for being Vince's jester. He also hate's little person wrestling and decided when he was young that he wasn't ever going to do any of the typical dwarf spots. And he was paralysed for nine months of his life. And he hasn't spoken to his mother in 14 years... :smith:

Hornswoggle can do whatever the gently caress he wants as far as I'm concerned. He is good people.

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Hornswoggle's a huge PWG fan!

And he gets death threats every week for being Vince's jester. He also hate's little person wrestling and decided when he was young that he wasn't ever going to do any of the typical dwarf spots. And he was paralysed for nine months of his life. And he hasn't spoken to his mother in 14 years... :smith:

Hornswoggle can do whatever the gently caress he wants as far as I'm concerned. He is good people.

He was pretty casual about not having spoken to his family. It was all very :smith:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I gained a lot of respect for him but still would prefer to never see him on any wrestling show that matters. Stick him on smackdown is what I'm saying

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The call in show with Smarks getting Dave'd is pretty good. There are a lot of dumb Smarks out there, that's for sure.

edit: Dumb smarks is a bit harsh. There are just a lot of people that don't want Cena v Rock II "just because".

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 2, 2013

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I apologize for my call. Should have realized that a zillion people would suggest Brock/Rock before I could get in.

TLM
Mar 3, 2009
Latest B&V had one of the best Granny appearances of all time. I don't know how people skip past her segments.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I don't skip her segments but I can totally understand some people thinking the novelty of her really has worn off.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I don't mind granny. It's just really hard for me to listen to Bryan be mean to her when she doesn't understand something, so I skip them now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LordPants posted:

The call in show with Smarks getting Dave'd is pretty good. There are a lot of dumb Smarks out there, that's for sure.

edit: Dumb smarks is a bit harsh. There are just a lot of people that don't want Cena v Rock II "just because".

I don't think you're being too harsh at all. Not everyone was stupid (like the Brock/Rock suggestions Dave agreed were good before explaining why they weren't possible), but god drat that was a lot of dumbfucks.

Dave laughing at the last guy suggesting Hell in the Cell before he even finishes his statement is the best.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rick posted:

Dave laughing at the last guy suggesting Hell in the Cell before he even finishes his statement is the best.

A triple threat hell in a cell no less.

I was going to call in with my idea that they do a Wrestlemania 9 except with Cena in the Hogan role.
Punk beats Rock with some schnanigans by DQ demands his rematch with Rock at Wrestlemania, McMahon decides that the winner of Rock/Punk will face Cena in the main event.
Rock wins but goes on the lose to Cena, however he has an out in that he had to wrestle twice.
Cena rematches with the Rock for the rubber match and beats him clean, Ziggler cashes in on an exhausted Cena and now you're off with a new program and you got an extra match out of Rock/Cena, and you've brought Ziggler into the main event scene.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Too much fantasy booking and not enough getting high and crashing through fences. :colbert:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Goog just ambushed me with a 1 on 1 10 count. Expect one of those tomorrow.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Or maybe today.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

HulkaMatt posted:

Or maybe today.

Ye gods, that Benoit joke. I feel bad for laughing at it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It is terrifying to imagine nostalgia for Miz's figure four.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My show celebrates its 2nd Anniversary. By the end, though, everyone leaves to watch UFC.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Gotta plug that book!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm20aRpG068
Bryan shows up around 1:55 into the Nightline piece on the border control heel.

e: VVV Well that's disappointing yet funnier.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The producers put the book there, not Bryan. He mentioned it in a podcast. I assume the intention was that by establishing he's an author, he would gain credibility in the eyes of people unfamiliar with him.

• Locked thread