Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Last time I saw Owen in anything was in the recent British thriller "Shadow Dancer" which was quite good. I don't think he'd have trouble finding big projects to do nowadays but seems to focus on smaller films instead. I think he's going to be in the upcoming Sin City sequel, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Stare-Out posted:

Last time I saw Owen in anything was in the recent British thriller "Shadow Dancer" which was quite good. I don't think he'd have trouble finding big projects to do nowadays but seems to focus on smaller films instead. I think he's going to be in the upcoming Sin City sequel, though.

Nope. Replaced by Josh Brolin.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Riflen posted:

drat. Aside from the fact that it really bugs me when they recast a character for a sequel, I thought Owen was excellent in the first film. Then again, could do a lot worse than Brolin I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was in Duplicity and Killer Elite, those were fairly big releases.

Riflen posted:

Has that been confirmed? Some places said they're both playing him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

drat. Aside from the fact that it really bugs me when they recast a character for a sequel, I thought Owen was excellent in the first film. Then again, could do a lot worse than Brolin I guess.

Apparently the plot dictates the recasting.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

It would make sense since I believe the sequel is an adaptation of A Dame To Kill For and Dwight has plastic surgery in the middle of that story. Brolin becoming Owen (or maybe vice versa, since they could adapt it from Dwight's backstory into a new narrative) isn't out of the realm of possibility.

\/\/\/ Killer Elite was pretty decent and I liked it way more than I thought I would. Also, Owen has heterochromia in that movie, because I think the character is blind in one eye or has a glass eye from a war injury.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 30, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

He was in Duplicity and Killer Elite, those were fairly big releases.

Don't think I ever caught Duplicity but Killer Elite was a really drab, by the numbers mind-number of a flick if I recall (and I don't recall much of it). I think my most prominent memory is that Owen had a moustache in it.

Also if they're both playing Dwight that's something I can definitely get behind. I know absolutely nothing about Sin City aside from the first movie so I didn't know there was a plastic surgery angle to that whole thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wikipedia has it as Brolin to Owen.

Stare-Out posted:

Don't think I ever caught Duplicity but Killer Elite was a really drab, by the numbers mind-number of a flick if I recall (and I don't recall much of it). I think my most prominent memory is that Owen had a moustache in it.

Also if they're both playing Dwight that's something I can definitely get behind.

Neither of them are good, but they're both large studio releases.

He hasn't disappeared, he just doesn't do a lot of movies every year.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Recasting Dwight makes perfect sense though, considering the fact that Dwight gets extensive plastic surgery to change his appearance at the end of A Dame To Kill For.

edit: beaten badly

On topic, I had no idea Top Gun was getting an IMAX 3D re-release. Now the homoeroticism can explode all over your face!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

User-Friendly posted:

That hardly matters to poster designers:

There was a really good timeline of how the posters for this movie degraded over time in the last thread.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Yes. Kenny Loggins falsettoing Playing with the Boys in ball-trembling THX surround sound while Val Kilmer's butt shakes in my face and his nipples seem so close I could practically reach out and tweak them. Exactly what America has been clamoring for.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

I don't care how old a film is, there's no excuse for promoting the format with typeface that's almost the same size as the title. That's just tacky. But I guess that's acceptable seeing as how this is a 3D release for literally the gayest film ever made.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You guys laugh but I really want to see that in IMAX.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I will be seeing Top Gun in IMAX and it will be awesome... also that poster is fine: it's promoting the one reason why anyone would pay money to see a movie that plays on cable all the time.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

This just makes me uncomfortable.

Third on the list but not featured in the poster. Olivia Wilde has a funny agent working for her.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That Wonderstone poster has the youngest-looking trio of 50-year-old men I've ever seen.

I guess the marketing deparment worked their...magic.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

They are supposed to look like out-of-touch, unnatural looking Siegfried and Roy types for the plot of the film.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

e: Ugh, I didn't read that right.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jim Carrey looks more like Mac from It's Always Sunny than actual Jim Carrey. That is Carrey on the right, correct?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There was a really good timeline of how the posters for this movie degraded over time in the last thread.

It's been quoted on the first page of this one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Meltathon posted:

Jim Carrey looks more like Mac from It's Always Sunny than actual Jim Carrey. That is Carrey on the right, correct?

I honestly thought it was Sam Rockwell, then I wondered why his name wasn't on the poster. I thought Buscemi was Christopher Walken.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

"minimalistfanposters.jpg"

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
I'm actually ok with that one. It uses two very iconic shapes and plays them off each other nicely. You don't need to have seen the movie, you just have to recognize the contexts of the gun and the NYC cab (it conveys the setting even!), and the title, and your brain fills in all these interesting possible stories.

The text is solid, which is nice because it's not just a text-less picture-riddle like some of them have been. It conveys an emotion too, as yellow and black are the nature colors for something that is actively warning you it can be dangerous, in an attempt to garner safety.

The only serious flaw is that completely pointless paper crumple texture applied over it. edit 2: and the fair amount of empty space. I can't tell if that's good use of negative space, or a waste.

edit: but really, none will be as good as gun-eye Robocop.

Cinnamon Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 31, 2013

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cavauro posted:

They are supposed to look like out-of-touch, unnatural looking Siegfried and Roy types for the plot of the film.

I think Carell is the only one doing a Siegfriend and Roy type, I think Carrey is doing more of a Chris Angel kind of role and Buscemi is probably more the old-time tuxedo wearing kind of magician.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Carell is the only one doing a Siegfriend and Roy type, I think Carrey is doing more of a Chris Angel kind of role and Buscemi is probably more the old-time tuxedo wearing kind of magician.

Carell and Buscemi's characters are partners in their act.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Carell and Buscemi's characters are partners in their act.

Yeah, the trailer's out for it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMfHt6Ul2UE[

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Jefferoo posted:

"minimalistfanposters.jpg"

This is pretty indicative of all of the minimalist poster in this thread. It's a neat design and its done really well but I would never hang it on my wall over an official poster.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
New Iron Man 3 poster.

I think it's pretty interesting. A bit odd to see a superhero movie poster that shows the hero getting his poo poo wrecked.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

BlackFrost posted:

New Iron Man 3 poster.

I think it's pretty interesting. A bit odd to see a superhero movie poster that shows the hero getting his poo poo wrecked.

It's definitely eye-catching. I really like the way they draw your eye to his center (the power core) by placing it right next to the sun. I also like that his head is level to the city, so it draws attention to the city without obscuring it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BlackFrost posted:

New Iron Man 3 poster.

I really like this one.

Couldn't resist...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why is he so angry at falling down? You'd think they'd want to show him with eyes closed or something.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

I didn't know Robert Downey Jr. was being replaced by Karl Urban for Iron Man 3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Why is he so angry at falling down? You'd think they'd want to show him with eyes closed or something.

That's pretty much my big issue with it, the angry scream face.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vegetable posted:

He is Tony Stark, the super engineer with a giant ego. His equipment getting trashed or malfunctioning is probably the easiest way to piss him off.

Also, this is like the second time it happened to him.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I really like this one.

Couldn't resist...

Burnin' out his fuse, up here, alone.

I do like that they seem to have been smart enough to give Tony an existential crisis after flying through that space portal. That was the only part of the Avengers that was almost interesting.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'd be angry too if someone ruined my poo poo and made me fall towards earth like that :colbert:

Also possibly terrified, but then I am no superhero

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I said it in the Comic Book Movie thread, but I really like that poster because it reminds me of Icarus.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I like the idea of that poster more than the execution of it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That poster would be much more effective for the whole "Holy poo poo!" factor they're going for if Stark's suit didn't already get utterly hosed in every movie he's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Stare-Out posted:

That poster would be much more effective for the whole "Holy poo poo!" factor they're going for if Stark's suit didn't already get utterly hosed in every movie he's in.

But has he ever lost his helmet in high altitude before?