Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Urdnot Fire posted:

It was previously mentioned here:

Holy crap this is magical. :allears:

Age of Wushu sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yeah, for obvious reasons goons are loving loathed in this game. For example, after said script-stealing event tonight we got into a brawl with no less than five different guilds.
Not quite that, but here's one of the guild wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNT4rDcggXs

I don't have the time for MMOs nowadays but holy christ this game looks awesome.

SpookyLizard posted:

Suffice to say, I promptly got a full account and went back to working on some other marks. A week later I say him in recruitment, trying to get a corp/alliance together with the dedicated purpose to 'kill goons'. And not like, singular attacks, but like, the Goonwaffe and/or the entire GSF.

:allears: I loving love EVE.

I can only hope you literally got a guy's girlfriend to break up with him :allears:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Gabriel Pope posted:

I don't have the time for MMOs nowadays but holy christ this game looks awesome.

I can only hope you literally got a guy's girlfriend to break up with him :allears:

I never made contact with him. Unfortunately I had some personal poo poo happen and I ended up losing interest in EVE (and a lot of things) so I never got to follow UNO on having my in game lawyer (Judge Jita, my alt for trading in high-sec, was a lawyer who worked for Leonard J Crabs) contact him and see if he wanted to sue for damages.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

You actually have time for this if you have, oh, an hour a day to play if you want to progress in just about everything every day, half an hour if you want to focus on just a couple things, and like five minutes a day if you really, really don't have time and just want to login, do a little basic maintenance, and log out.

Part of the beauty of the game is that it is legitimately not grindy. You level EVE style (if you don't pay a sub, you have to be logged in but can be afk) where just existing gets you levels, it can be sped up significantly by logging in once every day and mashing buttons to burn some in-game money to speed it up (takes five minutes), can be sped up even more if you do the DDR minigame (takes like half an hour to an hour to get a group together and finish, if you do it with Goons). There's endless amounts of poo poo to do, but for basic "I just want to be able to punch people effectively," that's about it. Also it is only pay to win in the same way that EVE is - you can throw some money their way for some minor nice things, and gaining any actually significant advantage is prohibitively expensive. We had a Goon throw money at the game to catch up on everyone who was about three weeks ahead of him, and the last estimate I heard was that he had to blow something like six hundred bucks for it. I imagine a fully maxed out character would cost at least a few grand.

I swore off MMOs a long time ago because they were either grindy, boring, carebear, or all three, and Age of Wushu is my literal perfect MMO. Combat is fun, you can get by on very little time per day if you want (leveling all the gathering skills is the most time consuming thing I've done so far), and it is a never ending fountain of pubbie tears. The griefing is beautiful and profitable and :swoon:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

He then says that since he didn't have the money for it in his account, he used his girlfriends credit card. Which he got out of her purse, because she was asleep.

Suffice to say, I promptly got a full account and went back to working on some other marks. A week later I say him in recruitment, trying to get a corp/alliance together with the dedicated purpose to 'kill goons'. And not like, singular attacks, but like, the Goonwaffe and/or the entire GSF.

:allears: I loving love EVE.

Oh god, you got a guy to steal from his girlfriend. That's pretty amazing.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The only other thing I'm no sure of is if it was actually his girlfriend or if it was his mom. Both are equally likely to me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That sounds so terrible. I mean, it's the guy's own drat fault if he's such a man-child that he'll steal money from someone who he cares about just to get something in a videogame like some kind of addict, but I would never want to be associated with expediting that sort of process.

At the very least it would've been morally responsible to destroy everything he owned in the game as some kind of quasi-moral vigilante justice.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Nah, he'd only steal more money to buy it all back again.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I'm streaming an Age of Wushu sand-castle kicking event: http://www.twitch.tv/satsurupettan By which I mean we're going to burn down our hated enemy's castle. :black101:

e: It actually starts at 10:30 est, so like 8 minutes.

e2: I am sorry if it's kind of dull on my part, I am just defending a really important thing. :v:

e3: I shut it off.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 31, 2013

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Here's a response from the losing guild that sums up Goon Tang Clan:

Needless to say, we won the guild war with ease. In fact, when we showed up with a hundred Goons, only eight of them stuck around before giving up.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 31, 2013

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
gently caress, I'm going to buy, install, and play this game, I just know it.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

The Bible posted:

gently caress, I'm going to buy, install, and play this game, I just know it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it isn't free to play?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Aqua Hamster posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but it isn't free to play?

It is. VIP status (unlimited access during beta, some perks like faster leveling offline, etc.) costs roughly $10/month, but you can play without it.

Definitely join up - you can make great progress with very little time invested in a day, and joining a swarm of goons to butcher experienced players with a literal death by a thousand cuts is priceless.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Just Google for Age of Wushu unlimited play keys- mmosite had like 200 keys left a couple of hours ago when I got one. Hit the button on the website to buy the game, hit the Activate button, put in the key, and you've got unlimited play for free.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
Thanks for the heads up on that. It literally took me 2 minutes to get a key and get an account for the game.

Tyndolionel
Oct 18, 2004
Ghost Fog Sabre Deluxe!
Yeah, I got one, too. Thanks!

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Huh, got a key. Thanks!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Just Google for Age of Wushu unlimited play keys- mmosite had like 200 keys left a couple of hours ago when I got one. Hit the button on the website to buy the game, hit the Activate button, put in the key, and you've got unlimited play for free.

That's fantastic, got one this way too.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This game seems awesome on its own, but I'm really happy that the entire griefing thread jumped in. I imagine things are going to be getting very interesting in ancient China shortly.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
e: never mind!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Dammit. Ok. Ok. You had me at Eve + UO (sigh)

By the way thanks for whoever posted the google thing

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Just don't buy VIP or Deluxe Edition or whatever, they are known to not actually give you anything and the customer service doesn't care.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Trip report on age of wushu-

If you can get past the hurdle of learning what hell is going on, its amazing fun.

Here is the rundown of my first day, in order.

Did the newbie island starting quest, picked my school (class), got into goon guild, was taken under the wing of a vet player.
Assaulted, kidnapped, then sold an innocent person into slavery.
Took a scenic ride though china while meditating on my kung fu.
Met up with some goons and killed random players for kung fu books (which I guess they stole originally?)
Joined 100+ other goons and burned a castle to the ground, then took it over.
Witnessed so many pubby tears about said castle raid that GMs had to get involved.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Goddamnit where do I go to get started on this poo poo.

I swore I'd never play an MMO again but if it's free and you get to make pubbies angry... :allears:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Double Monocle posted:

Trip report on age of wushu-

If you can get past the hurdle of learning what hell is going on, its amazing fun.

Here is the rundown of my first day, in order.

Did the newbie island starting quest, picked my school (class), got into goon guild, was taken under the wing of a vet player.
Assaulted, kidnapped, then sold an innocent person into slavery.
Took a scenic ride though china while meditating on my kung fu.
Met up with some goons and killed random players for kung fu books (which I guess they stole originally?)
Joined 100+ other goons and burned a castle to the ground, then took it over.
Witnessed so many pubby tears about said castle raid that GMs had to get involved.

:smith:

This sounds incredible, but I'm far too put off by the fact my $20 got me nothing and the customer service just really don't seem to give a gently caress. I don't even want to play anymore :(

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

StabMasterArson posted:

:smith:

This sounds incredible, but I'm far too put off by the fact my $20 got me nothing and the customer service just really don't seem to give a gently caress. I don't even want to play anymore :(

Did you check out http://www.ageofwushu.com/purchase/deluxe/ ? The Account page shows your deluxe edition key and the Account Activation allows you to use it. The GM staff is on after 10am server time or so.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

junan_paalla posted:

Did you check out http://www.ageofwushu.com/purchase/deluxe/ ? The Account page shows your deluxe edition key and the Account Activation allows you to use it. The GM staff is on after 10am server time or so.

Yeah it's all activated. Had to get the staff to email it to me because it was sent somewhere else or something. I still don't have any ingame VIP time or cool loot or anything.

Edit: Went through that link and saw I hadn't gone to the little dropdown thing. Got my VIP time now, but holy poo poo that was frustrating. Wasn't I supposed to get some items and stuff too, though?

StabMasterArson fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 31, 2013

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I think you griefed yourself.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Urdnot Fire posted:

Needless to say, we won the guild war with ease. In fact, when we showed up with a hundred Goons, only eight of them stuck around before giving up.
You'd think a bunch of neckbeards roleplaying feudal China might bone up a bit on that whole Sun-Tzu thing. Or are those all the guys who went into EVE?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Doodles posted:

You'd think a bunch of neckbeards roleplaying feudal China might bone up a bit on that whole Sun-Tzu thing. Or are those all the guys who went into EVE?

They took a page of Zhuge Liang (KongMing)'s playbook and tried the empty fortress tactic but Goons will never fall for that.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
"If the enemy's bottom is attacked, it is painful"
-Sun Tzu

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Doodles posted:

The big problem is that they all thing they're the super ultimate martial arts master that can't be touched. The reality is that they can be picked apart and swarmed by 5 newbies because they don't actually have any protection from disables. The game isn't like WoW where a max level guy can rip apart swarms of newbies at will (yet? I'm not sure how much things will scale).

Incidentally, being part of a swarm and beating up high level guys with their e-honor and watching them rage in helpless despair as a bunch of ragged newbies burns down their house is absolutely hilarious.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Doodles posted:

50 Sun-Tzu's running around in a group is all well and good, but it doesn't do much against swarms of vomiting beggars carrying big sticks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's the Evil King of Wanderer's Valley being curbstomped by goons in her own guild hall (now our guild hall):

(Regererate [sic] point is their spawn area)

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Got a key and downloading the client. Can't wait :allears:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

AzMiLion posted:

50 Sun-Tzu's running around in a group is all well and good, but it doesn't do much against swarms of vomiting beggars carrying big sticks.

That seems to be the Goon modus operandi in any game. Just throw waves and waves of people at any problem.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I was really excited to play this and then: Windows only. :eng99:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SpazmasterX posted:

That seems to be the Goon modus operandi in any game. Just throw waves and waves of people at any problem.

That's how pubbies see it. Realistically, coordination is what brings about patented Goon SuperiorityTM. The people who are willing to organize gear for everybody so that the hordes can be well armed, or the spergs who spend time theorycrafting just the right way to exploit numbers, etc. Pubbies are the chivalrous knights charging through the mud towards goon peasants with longbows and spike walls.

Goon strategy is basically the Battle of Agincourt.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

JohnSherman posted:

I was really excited to play this and then: Windows only. :eng99:

Apparently it works on Wine so you're not hosed.

SpazmasterX posted:

Well, far as i can tell what's really going on is that goons optimize a strategy such that "people showing up" is the only resource worth managing and then make things fun so that people want to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

This abso-loving-lutely needs to be cross-posted from the Age of Wushu thread:

D is That Guy posted:

Attention goons:

Tomorrow at 7pm CST I am going to throw the first ever goon jianghu lottery. Buy in is 20 liang unbound silver. In addition I'm going to chip in 100 liang of my own funds.

The rules:

Mail 20 liang unbound silver to Grumbledor by 6pm CST.

Get somewhat near the Chengdu bank by 6:50 pm CST.

I will then take a lovely stroll around Chengdu until I get ganked. All money sent in the mail will be spent on a bounty.

Once the bounty is set, the race is on to find and kill the person. Claim his head and turn it in for 1/2 of the posted bounty in unbound liang.

As a side bonus, for every liang spent, the bountied player gets 2 minutes of time out in Chengdu's glorious prison system. for the less mathematically inclined, for every person that plays, that's another 40 minutes (on top of the 3 hours and 20 minutes I'm donating) in the time out booth. There are only two ways out for bountied players. Spend the time or get broken out of jail.

This is going to have to be on the honor system as I can't keep you from not chipping in to the pot and still trying to kill the target, so don't be douchebags. Also you must be a constable to claim the reward, so don't forget to get your arresting powers all ready to go before 7pm.

There is an obsessive sperg named Honeybeez that hunts down and camps goons, so I'm hoping that we can jail them for at least 24 real-time hours. To get out of jail you have to spend that time logged into the game.

• Locked thread