Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

michaelc243 posted:

Ive been dealing with a few dealerships, got my price for a 2013 v6 automatic with the tech pack to $21,600. My question is though does the base model like the one I am getting come with an LSD differential without the performance pack?

Yes, it will have a limited-slip differential, the gearing will just be taller than the differential in the performance pack cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

michaelc243 posted:

Ive been dealing with a few dealerships, got my price for a 2013 v6 automatic with the tech pack to $21,600. My question is though does the base model like the one I am getting come with an LSD differential without the performance pack?

I don't think your daughter will be able to tell anyway. Don't worry 'bout it.

michaelc243
Aug 13, 2005

I take my hat off for one thing, one thing only.

doritos posted:

I don't think your daughter will be able to tell anyway. Don't worry 'bout it.

Already own a 65, this is just going to be my beater/winter driver. thank you though, chief.

And thanks Broken Record Talk, probably picking up Thursday!

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
I found these recently:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4620002_build-ford-engine-high-rpms.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_7177533_build-ford-302-engine-turbocharger.html

I'm interested in doing a project of sorts involving a 302 and I'm wondering if the info in these links has any merit.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

michaelc243 posted:

Already own a 65, this is just going to be my beater/winter driver. thank you though, chief.

And thanks Broken Record Talk, probably picking up Thursday!

So your daughter is gonna have two mustangs? haha

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ha ha guys I bet she's a secretary and a hairdresser too, am I right??? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I found these recently:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4620002_build-ford-engine-high-rpms.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_7177533_build-ford-302-engine-turbocharger.html

I'm interested in doing a project of sorts involving a 302 and I'm wondering if the info in these links has any merit.

I can't tell you whether those links have any merit, but I would like to mention that I once watched a video of a foxbody with a 5.0 that ran up to 9000 or 9500 RPMs and it sounded positively awesome, so if those links turn out to be legit then DO IT :q:

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Dick Burglar posted:

I can't tell you whether those links have any merit, but I would like to mention that I once watched a video of a foxbody with a 5.0 that ran up to 9000 or 9500 RPMs and it sounded positively awesome, so if those links turn out to be legit then DO IT :q:

If you can find that video, that would be awesome. In the meantime, I was thinking about something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5WPXo7vBo4

The guy in this video is running a DSS 331 short-block with a lot of sweet and rather simple looking mods, which has since become something of an inspiration for me. I floated the idea of a V8-swapped XR4Ti here once before, but my engine of choice then was a 3-valve 4.6 Mod + a turbo. I was recommended to instead consider a 302 and I hummed and hawed about it for a time. I had some misgivings towards the old 302, some of which weren't entirely well founded.

Here's a pic of the my current l'objet d'art in the summer time; currently, there's about a foot of snow on everything given that I live in Yellowknife. And yes, that is indeed a snow plow on top of it :stonk:

The thing that is attracting me to this thing like a moth to the flame is that it's a total project - I will pretty much have to do everything because I really want to expand my (lack of) skills. So yeah, if I can get this thing for a good price, I'll have a fairly long-term project car to sequester into a portable garage for the long, brutal winters up here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Will you really have time to work on it? I thought you had to mothball your R32 thanks to lack of time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So this just happened:

I traded in my '06 GT and I am amazed at how much better the 2013 is in every way, especially considering that I got it for a couple of thousand cheaper than the '06. I just have a question that I couldn't find an answer to in the manual, so I assume that means the answer is "no," but I figured I'd ask here.

The center display on the instrument console, the one that shows TrackApps or Fuel Economy or your trip computer or whatever: is there any way to turn that off, and just have it go black until/unless I want it to display something?

There's also the general pain-in-the-rear end Sync stuff other people have already talked about. In my case, it recognizes the iPod and plays music just fine, and I can select playlists/artists/etc using the controls on the stereo, but if I try to give a voice command like "Play artist <foo>", Sync just tells me it's indexing and then goes back to playing whatever song it was already playing. But this is not a huge deal.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Hoping someone here works at or has a buddy at a dealership:

Is the window to place factory orders for a 2014 V6 open? If so, when's a realistic delivery date for the first few batches?

There are some great incentives out that expire in March that I'd like to try and take advantage of, and I'm deployed right now so it's not as easy as just walking into a dealership.

I'm getting mixed answers from different dealerships and I wish they just had a factory-order expert I could talk to.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

There's also the general pain-in-the-rear end Sync stuff other people have already talked about. In my case, it recognizes the iPod and plays music just fine, and I can select playlists/artists/etc using the controls on the stereo, but if I try to give a voice command like "Play artist <foo>", Sync just tells me it's indexing and then goes back to playing whatever song it was already playing. But this is not a huge deal.

If Sync is loving up, try turning it off with the power button on the dashboard, unplugging the iPod, wait 30 seconds, turn it back on, and plug the iPod back in. That usually un-hangs indexing for me.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

manchego posted:

Hoping someone here works at or has a buddy at a dealership:

Is the window to place factory orders for a 2014 V6 open? If so, when's a realistic delivery date for the first few batches?

There are some great incentives out that expire in March that I'd like to try and take advantage of, and I'm deployed right now so it's not as easy as just walking into a dealership.

I'm getting mixed answers from different dealerships and I wish they just had a factory-order expert I could talk to.

The ordering for 2014 models has been open since late November. Production begins "mid-late first quarter", so expect to see them on the road around late February to mid-March.

amp281
Dec 31, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phanatic posted:

So this just happened:

I traded in my '06 GT and I am amazed at how much better the 2013 is in every way, especially considering that I got it for a couple of thousand cheaper than the '06. I just have a question that I couldn't find an answer to in the manual, so I assume that means the answer is "no," but I figured I'd ask here.

The center display on the instrument console, the one that shows TrackApps or Fuel Economy or your trip computer or whatever: is there any way to turn that off, and just have it go black until/unless I want it to display something?

Could you tell any difference in the snow drive-ability, traction control etc?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

amp281 posted:

Could you tell any difference in the snow drive-ability, traction control etc?

Not yet. You can't tell from the picture but that was about all of 3/4" of dry powdery snow and the roads were pretty much completely dry. Then it snowed again today but it turned into rain and the snow's melted away.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If Sync is loving up, try turning it off with the power button on the dashboard, unplugging the iPod, wait 30 seconds, turn it back on, and plug the iPod back in. That usually un-hangs indexing for me.

It seems like it *does* index; if I use the stereo console controls I can navigate through playlists and artists and it seems they're all there, so indexing happens, but then Sync tells me it's still indexing.

Is there supposed to be any visual indication, either on the iPod or on the console, that Sync is indexing and when it's finished?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Phanatic posted:

Not yet. You can't tell from the picture but that was about all of 3/4" of dry powdery snow and the roads were pretty much completely dry. Then it snowed again today but it turned into rain and the snow's melted away.

It seems like it *does* index; if I use the stereo console controls I can navigate through playlists and artists and it seems they're all there, so indexing happens, but then Sync tells me it's still indexing.

Is there supposed to be any visual indication, either on the iPod or on the console, that Sync is indexing and when it's finished?

Normally the console will say INDEXING... with a progress bar

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

kimbo305 posted:

Will you really have time to work on it? I thought you had to mothball your R32 thanks to lack of time.

I actually mothballed it due to lack of money and then I sold it when I moved for a new job. It's in good hands now :unsmith:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Pop the Sync fuse out and put it back in

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Necc0 posted:

Normally the console will say INDEXING... with a progress bar

Thanks, I reset the Sync system and tried again, and this time I definitely did see that INDEXING bar, which only took about a minute to complete. Then when I tried "Play playlist <foo>" I was told "Creating speech commands, please wait." After a few minutes, I tried again, and got "Speech control not available on this device."

I think I'm giving up on this problem, I can still select playlists with the console controls and hear my music so whatever. But my real question is still "Is there any way to make the center display on the instrument console go blank until I want it to show something?" It's silly, I guess, but I'd rather not look at that little horse logo all the time.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Pop the Sync fuse out and put it back in

I'll give it a try.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 29, 2013

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Thanks, I reset the Sync system and tried again, and this time I definitely did see that INDEXING bar, which only took about a minute to complete. Then when I tried "Play playlist <foo>" I was told "Creating speech commands, please wait." After a few minutes, I tried again, and got "Speech control not available on this device."

I think I'm giving up on this problem, I can still select playlists with the console controls and hear my music so whatever. But my real question is still "Is there any way to make the center display on the instrument console go blank until I want it to show something?" It's silly, I guess, but I'd rather not look at that little horse logo all the time.

I'll give it a try.

My 2012 has a VFD under the tach, and I can press "Info" above my left knee a few times to make it blank out. Not sure if the LCD will do that for you.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

If you can find that video, that would be awesome. In the meantime, I was thinking about something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5WPXo7vBo4

The guy in this video is running a DSS 331 short-block with a lot of sweet and rather simple looking mods, which has since become something of an inspiration for me. I floated the idea of a V8-swapped XR4Ti here once before, but my engine of choice then was a 3-valve 4.6 Mod + a turbo. I was recommended to instead consider a 302 and I hummed and hawed about it for a time. I had some misgivings towards the old 302, some of which weren't entirely well founded.

Here's a pic of the my current l'objet d'art in the summer time; currently, there's about a foot of snow on everything given that I live in Yellowknife. And yes, that is indeed a snow plow on top of it :stonk:

The thing that is attracting me to this thing like a moth to the flame is that it's a total project - I will pretty much have to do everything because I really want to expand my (lack of) skills. So yeah, if I can get this thing for a good price, I'll have a fairly long-term project car to sequester into a portable garage for the long, brutal winters up here.

Some crazy bastard stuck a TT V6 from a 300ZX in to an XR4TI way back when, they called it the "Scorch".

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

MikeyTsi posted:

Some crazy bastard stuck a TT V6 from a 300ZX in to an XR4TI way back when, they called it the "Scorch".

Personally, I think this guy's is better in terms of turbo engine swaps:

http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?56413-FS-1986-merkur-xr4ti-V8-Turbo

I mean, god-drat that's a clean car!

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Following up on a question that I asked earlier about factory ordering a 2014 Mustang.

I'm trying to get quotes from a couple of dealerships.

One told me the window to order them isn't open, which I know is untrue. The other told me the window is open but they don't know the incentives yet. Is the second dealership dragging its feet in regards to the incentives?

My doubts come from the fact that the Ford website seems to list incentives for the 2014s already.

I'd wait it out, but there's an incentive that expires on the February 6th through the military Exchange Car Buying Service that I'm trying to compare to.

I want to order the drat car but getting a quote on paper is becoming a bit like pulling teeth for the places I've chosen.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why don't you get a price on one in dealer stock. It is much easier to get an internet price on something they already have. Compare that to the one you can order through the other place.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Elephanthead posted:

Why don't you get a price on one in dealer stock. It is much easier to get an internet price on something they already have. Compare that to the one you can order through the other place.

Good idea, though none of the dealers have any 2014s on their lots yet. They should soon though, so I'll do what you suggest.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Is anything at all changing for 2014? I figured they'd do anything at all for the 50th anniversary Mustang, but it looks just like the 2013 with a different digit in the VIN.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe they'll save it until Jan 2014 and call it a "2014.5".

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I don't think they'll do anything when they have a big redesign coning out for the 2015s.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'd be more surprised if there wasn't some sort of special edition Mustang put out to commemorate the ".5" anniversary. Ford loving LOVES special edition Mustangs.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The 50th is going to be released in a limited run; but no one is saying whether it'll be the 2014 refreshed body or the 2015 total facelift yet. All we know is it's going to be a "limited edition"... heh. But 50 years for a single make of car isn't too shabby at all and pretty worthy of being a big deal.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 31, 2013

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I'd hope they do something cooler than the 45th anniversary camaro which I think was just some decals and stripes tacked onto it. Otherwise they shouldn't bother

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In the history of cars, has there even been an "Xth Anniversary Edition" that was anything more than a special paint/decal package?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

In the history of cars, has there even been an "Xth Anniversary Edition" that was anything more than a special paint/decal package?

The 15th anniversary H/O? It was mostly badging and paint, but it did have a custom 307 in it.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you want to consider the 25th anniv. Callaway Corvette a viable option, it came supercharged and built up to like 600+ horsepower. I think it technically counts because Chevy preps the Corvettes before sending them to Callaway.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Devyl posted:

The 50th is going to be released in a limited run; but no one is saying whether it'll be the 2014 refreshed body or the 2015 total facelift yet. All we know is it's going to be a "limited edition"... heh. But 50 years for a single make of car isn't too shabby at all and pretty worthy of being a big deal.
The Ford Falcon has been in production since 1960 and only gets decal/paint stuff for its anniversaries

Although I always like the badge they did for the 25th Anniversary:

You Am I fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 1, 2013

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Have the kinks with custom tunes been ironed out yet? I was looking at a package like this where you get an intake and a canned tune, but I still remember all that #8 drama with Bama tunes from a ways back. There's a dyno shop out by miramar, would I be better off just getting the CAI and having them do me a custom tune? I like the idea of having my own programmer though since I'll probably have to revert to stock to get smogged.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Also the ordering guides are already out for the 2014's and nothings changing except some appearance options and that you can't get a Boss.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Locobono posted:

Have the kinks with custom tunes been ironed out yet? I was looking at a package like this where you get an intake and a canned tune, but I still remember all that #8 drama with Bama tunes from a ways back. There's a dyno shop out by miramar, would I be better off just getting the CAI and having them do me a custom tune? I like the idea of having my own programmer though since I'll probably have to revert to stock to get smogged.

Here, cheaper and from someone who knows how to tune.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I keep seeing people say CAI's don't do much over stock airboxes these days

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can't think of many in recent years. In 1989, there was a 20th Anniversary Edition Turbo Trans Am that had the Buick Grand National turbo 3.8, which (at the time) was fast as poo poo.

In 1997, there were a very small number of 30th Anniversary Camaros built with an LT4 (hotter version of LT1). I think they came through SLP though, not sure if it was a regular "factory" option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The 1997 Camaros with 5 speeds all had the LT4 heads and 4 bolts main blocks. Also a lot of LT1 camaros that got warranty engine swaps ended up with the LT4 heads and 4 bolt main blocks. They made to many LT4 heads and 4 bolt blocks since the corvette got shifted to the LS engine, so they started using them up since the LS1 was different.