Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
After reading the entirety of Fire Joe Morgan, yeah Dave would qualify as one of America's best sportswriters, and because he's a poor "writer" he doesn't try to write what he thinks of as beautiful prose like some out there. Idiotic atavistic writing hiding behind sports poetry is unreadable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

After reading the entirety of Fire Joe Morgan, yeah Dave would qualify as one of America's best sportswriters, and because he's a poor "writer" he doesn't try to write what he thinks of as beautiful prose like some out there. Idiotic atavistic writing hiding behind sports poetry is unreadable.

True, but he could at least read his newsletter before he puts it up full of mistakes.

Calling Dave a writer is weird anyway. It's more just a recording of his train of thought.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
If you guys think the Observer is bad now in terms of that stuff, you should have seen it before he had Scott Williams/Bryan/Vince doing editing work.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

True, but he could at least read his newsletter before he puts it up full of mistakes.

Calling Dave a writer is weird anyway. It's more just a recording of his train of thought.
I have no doubt he does. If you can write that many thousands of words every week for decades without any mistakes, I'll eat my hat.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Most of the mistakes are harmless. Some are hilariously bad though, such as saying Mike Goldberg is in treatment for painkillers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tato posted:

Most of the mistakes are harmless. Some are hilariously bad though, such as saying Mike Goldberg is in treatment for painkillers.

I mostly just hate the ones where he starts and finishes a sentence with the same thing because he can't remember he just said it.

A hypothetical example: "On Monday night, Brock Lesnar returned to save Heyman's job by giving Vince an F5 on Monday night"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I mostly just hate the ones where he starts and finishes a sentence with the same thing because he can't remember he just said it.

A hypothetical example: "On Monday night, Brock Lesnar returned to save Heyman's job by giving Vince an F5 on Monday night"

That makes me wonder: Who do you guys like for writing Raw/SD/TNA recaps?

And it's clear that Scott Keith is not well liked on SA, which I don't quite understand. Why is that?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

And it's clear that Scott Keith is not well liked on SA, which I don't quite understand. Why is that?

Scott Keith thinks he is a brilliant writer, thinks he's funny and has very little understanding of the business. His opinions are generally really dumb, but mostly he knows nothing about wrestling. His books are beyond inaccurate. The Benoit book averaged one historical inaccuracy per page. And usually not minor ones, glaring ones.

On top of that he openly said he was writing his Benoit book because if he didn't cash in on it, others would.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Scott Keith is fat

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Red posted:

Scott Keith likes to interject his personal feelings about a wrestler as fact. Also he's a scummy jerk with dumb opinions.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

coconono posted:

Scott Keith likes to interject his personal feelings about a wrestler as fact. Also he's a scummy jerk with dumb opinions.

Also likes to interject made-up "facts" as actual facts.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He's like a more ambitious Mark Madden

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
His books are also awful. I think one of them "Tonight, in this Very Ring" was basically 50% bad revisionist storytelling of the Attitude era and 50% of his old PPV reviews, but he didn't even bother to go back and revise them. So you get a chapter of him writing that Triple H is the worst thing ever to happen to wrestling and single-handedly killed the WWF, followed by a PPV review in which he gives a Triple H match **** and says "HHH is god!"

I read him for a while because in the early days of the net, he was one of the few people who had reviewed so many PPVs. Now, there are plenty of people reviewing old WCW and ECW PPVs and they're not whiny assholes with no writing ability.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Tato posted:

His books are also awful. I think one of them "Tonight, in this Very Ring" was basically 50% bad revisionist storytelling of the Attitude era and 50% of his old PPV reviews, but he didn't even bother to go back and revise them. So you get a chapter of him writing that Triple H is the worst thing ever to happen to wrestling and single-handedly killed the WWF, followed by a PPV review in which he gives a Triple H match **** and says "HHH is god!"

I read him for a while because in the early days of the net, he was one of the few people who had reviewed so many PPVs. Now, there are plenty of people reviewing old WCW and ECW PPVs and they're not whiny assholes with no writing ability.

Interesting - I'd never checked out any of his books before, but only refer to his website for when he (sometimes) recaps Raw or a PPV. I can't stand his site, though, because it seems like mostly other random people who are really, really bad writers.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Red posted:

This intrigued me, because I really don't have anyone I really like that does reviews. I mean, Meltzer's are great, but they're in the Observer and I don't sub anymore. I guess I pretty much read the Smackdown and Raw rundowns in the discussion thread and that's about it. The Observer/F4W paywalls more and more of their online reviews, so I don't even bother checking anymore, and I've tried PWI a few times, but the reviews are always seem to click on are terrible "this happened, then this happened, and then this happened, AND THEN RANDY ORTON LOOKED AT ME" garbage.

Anyone have someone they recommend?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really just read here to get people's impression of shows, I haven't felt the need to read a show review in a long time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I always like the MMA recaps where they tried to explain guy's post fight speeches as face turns or heel turns. Because that always blew my mind.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Also likes to interject made-up "facts" as actual facts.

To be blunt, if he wrote about anything other than wrestling he would have been sued for libel years ago. Luckily for Scott it is a carny business no one takes seriously and half of the people he's written damaging nonsense about are dead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Look up his King Lear rant.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Tying in the two topics, if you ever wants to hear Dave sarcastically rip on someone, either get a question about Scott Keith into the Observer Radio mailbag or ask it on the air during a call-in show.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Can you point to a specific archive show for that? :pray:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Arbite posted:

Can you point to a specific archive show for that? :pray:

I think you'd end up disappointed, the most Dave ever really says is rolling his eyes as he mentions "Scott Keith level research." To try and get this to a better thread, I did a send up of Keith's Death of the AWA here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3095402&pagenumber=81#lastpost

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Back in the day, I used to go to DDT Digest to check up on WCW.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I miss CRZ. I really do.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Usually one of the more perseverant posters on CRZ's board The W will write up a recap of the major shows; presently It's False is doing the lord's own work.

I really miss Dean Rasmussen.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DeathChicken posted:

I miss CRZ. I really do.

KIRK ANGEL VS. RAYMOND STEREO

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Iskanderson posted:

Usually one of the more perseverant posters on CRZ's board The W will write up a recap of the major shows; presently It's False is doing the lord's own work.

I really miss Dean Rasmussen.

Dean still post some reviews on the Death Valley Driver Video Review forum.

But still no comix at late.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rad R. posted:

Back in the day, I used to go to DDT Digest to check up on WCW.
DDT Digest was the best. And Stevie Ray was their patron saint!

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

It's still online somehow.

Stevie :unsmith:

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

LividLiquid posted:

I still get the occassional email update from DDT Digest. They were a great website while they lasted! I still use DDTisms like Cold Beer for Goldberg, and Ron Misterio.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Just found out that the Thunder theme song was not original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4AJYog_s2s&t=96s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Krauser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4AJYog_s2s&t=96s
That's the Metal Mario boss fight music from Smash Brothers, I'm pretty sure, not the thunder theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhaFtROR28E

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

An Actual Bear posted:

It's still online somehow.

Stevie :unsmith:

Glad to see some love for DDT Digest. Not only did they appreciate Stevie Ray, they also treated Silver King and El Dandy like stars, and made me take notice of Norman Smiley. I think that's the first site where I saw a screenshot of Booker T holding that framed Scott Hall portrait.
Do you guys remember the Adventures of the nWo B-Team? I've been trying to find them for a while now, looks like there's a ScoopThis fanpage on Facebook, and it features all the B-Team's adventures.

http://on.fb.me/12hQLhg

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Rad R. posted:

Do you guys remember the Adventures of the nWo B-Team? I've been trying to find them for a while now, looks like there's a ScoopThis fanpage on Facebook, and it features all the B-Team's adventures.

http://on.fb.me/12hQLhg

Wow, now there's a blast from the past. I used to think these were hilarious back in 1999. Sadly, they don't seem to be as funny as 17-year-old me seemed to think they were.

Still, good find!

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

nasboat posted:

Wow, now there's a blast from the past. I used to think these were hilarious back in 1999. Sadly, they don't seem to be as funny as 17-year-old me seemed to think they were.

Still, good find!

Yup, I too was 16-17-years-old when I followed the B-Team's adventures, my favorite bit was when Konnan is left alone in a prison cell and it's his turn to 'toss salads'. That's how I learned what tossing salads means! Good times.
They also had some decent Photoshop parodies, like Ric Flair falling apart in the middle of the ring, and I vaguely remember Undertaker Comics. I still have some of this stuff on a CD I burned back in '99, full of wrestling stuff. If I find some glorious WCW pics, I'll post them.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jack Krauser posted:

WCW loved to use stock music. Hell, so did Nintendo.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

WCW loved to use stock music. Hell, so did Nintendo.

Yeah, tonnes of entrance themes in particular in WCW were just stock production themes.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, tonnes of entrance themes in particular in WCW were just stock production themes.

There's that big rumour about Nintendo removing Muslim chants in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time due to complaints (there were no complaints, Nintendo simply realized it would be sensitive in the West) and the game chants were all stock that anyone could buy and use.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

yeah I definitely remember hearing Jericho's original WCW theme (when he was generic babyface) on SportsCenter multiple times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

nasboat posted:

yeah I definitely remember hearing Jericho's original WCW theme (when he was generic babyface) on SportsCenter multiple times

There's actually a mention of that in his first book that, when he looked up what his first theme was actually called, it was "Basketball Highlights #12".