Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I like that Iron Man poster. It's obviously not a frame right out of the film but it feels like a promised part of the story, which beats any poster that's just a plain pose or a bunch of heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The MSJ posted:

I said it in the Comic Book Movie thread, but I really like that poster because it reminds me of Icarus.
Which kind of fits due to Tony's arrogance.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

BlackFrost posted:

New Iron Man 3 poster.

I think it's pretty interesting. A bit odd to see a superhero movie poster that shows the hero getting his poo poo wrecked.
Promised son, flying to close to the sun, having his machine break causing him to plummet back to earth. It's like the story of Icarus from Greek mythology. Also it looks like parts of the machine are melting-ish.

e: f;b

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You were not, "e: f;b," you posted that knowing it had already been mentioned so we'd all think you were hell of smart.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Wendell posted:

You were not, "e: f;b," you posted that knowing it had already been mentioned so we'd all think you were hell of smart.

How very Tony Stark of him

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Wendell posted:

Nope, I was just too stupid to notice it had already been posted.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Wait, there's a new comedy out now with Jim Carrey in it and it actually looks good, and I kinda want to watch it?

The last movie I've seen featuring Jim Carrey was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and that was like 8 years ago.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Lizard Combatant posted:

But has he ever lost his helmet in high altitude before?
He jumped after it at about that altitude in the 2nd one, after Pepper tossed it out of a plane.

I agree that angry screamy face looks silly and it would've been better with a resigned, sacrificial eyes-closed expression, or with the helmet on.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Tewratomeh posted:

Wait, there's a new comedy out now with Jim Carrey in it and it actually looks good, and I kinda want to watch it?

The last movie I've seen featuring Jim Carrey was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and that was like 8 years ago.

I Love You Phillip Morris was pretty good, you should check that out.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Ez posted:

I Love You Phillip Morris was pretty good, you should check that out.

This. Also, I thought he was fantastic in Series of Unfortunate Events.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

t3h z0r posted:

He jumped after it at about that altitude in the 2nd one, after Pepper tossed it out of a plane.

I agree that angry screamy face looks silly and it would've been better with a resigned, sacrificial eyes-closed expression, or with the helmet on.

That scene was only in the trailer. They opted to not have Pepper on the plane, so it looked like Iron Man was dropping into a warzone.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
I think a closed-eyes look would make for a better image but that poster is going to do what it's supposed to do - get people excited about the high-flying action in the new Iron Man movie. It's actiony enough to get people interested in seeing a guy in a robot suit fight other guys but the "Icarus" thing will draw in people who are interested in the Tony Stark character. A good poster for good people.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The only reason the mask is off is probably so people can say "Oh my god it's Robert Downey Junior!"

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 31, 2013

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Die Laughing posted:

That scene was only in the trailer. They opted to not have Pepper on the plane, so it looked like Iron Man was dropping into a warzone.

You can see it though on the Blu-Ray and IMHO it makes the movie better, it also has some foreshadowing with the palladium subplot.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

tliil posted:

I think a closed-eyes look would make for a better image but that poster is going to do what it's supposed to do - get people excited about the high-flying action in the new Iron Man movie. It's actiony enough to get people interested in seeing a guy in a robot suit fight other guys but the "Icarus" thing will draw in people who are interested in the Tony Stark character. A good poster for good people.

Precisely. It's easily the best Marvel poster so far.

e: ffs

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 31, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Precisely. It's easily the Marvel poster so far.

It's easily the poster so far.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It is easily a poster.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Hewlett posted:

It's easily the poster so far.

Bold claim I know, but dammit I stand by it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Some actually good Mondo posters

*Edit* VVV THe original is better, I'll grant that but I think these are actually pretty decent. Not great, but I like them.
At the very least they don't do the usually alt. poster bullshit.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 1, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Those aren't good and the original poster is a lot better.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mister Chief posted:

Those aren't good and the original poster is a lot better.

I don't know, I think that bat captures Keifer Sutherland's likeness rather well.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

BlackFrost posted:

I think it's pretty interesting. A bit odd to see a superhero movie poster that shows the hero getting his poo poo wrecked.

Say what you will about the movie, Dark Knight rises did it better with this poster: http://bloody-disgusting.com/photosizer/upload/the-dark-knight-rises-the-legend-ends-poster.jpg

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
I haven't seen The Lost Boys, but I do think that poster's pretty good. It gets across what the movie's about pretty succinctly, which is what the majority of fan posters really fail to do.

And I forgotot mention it when it was around at the time, but the Burt Wonderstone poster is great except for one thing. Carell and Buschemi are meant to be partners, but they're on separate levels, with Buschemi up with Carrey who's sort of an antagonist I guess? I think it would've worked better to convey the movie's relationships to have Carell and Buschemi on the front row, and then Carrey alone on the second.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

I challenge anyone to find a worse minimalist fan-made poster than this:

Even if you do know what it's supposed to represent, it still says nothing beyond 'a Proton Pack has four red lights'. Besides which, the official poster with the No-Ghost logo is about as perfect as a minimalist Ghostbusters poster can get.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't know, I think that bat captures Keifer Sutherland's likeness rather well.

It does. I can just imagine that bat flying up and going "WHERE IS THE BOMB! TELL ME WHERE IT IS!! TELL MEEEEEEEE!!!!"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Avril Lavigne posted:

Even if you do know what it's supposed to represent, it still says nothing beyond 'a Proton Pack has four red lights'. Besides which, the official poster with the No-Ghost logo is about as perfect as a minimalist Ghostbusters poster can get.

But have you considered design elements such as Helvetica and some GIS'ed paper texture?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've seen the Ghostbusters movies at least a dozen times and I had no idea what that was supposed to be.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Never forget.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

penismightier posted:

Never forget.

Check. Mate.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Yodzilla posted:

I've seen the Ghostbusters movies at least a dozen times and I had no idea what that was supposed to be.

Exactly. I'd be hard pressed to find a worse poster. Although that Matrix one is lovely, and again I'm not too sure what it's supposed to represent (movie-wise) at least I know it's a battery immediately.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Someone post the Heat one.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

penismightier posted:

Never forget.

Jesus christ.

Mister Chief posted:

Someone post the Heat one.

The Matrix one is still worse.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I think I remember a Shawshank Redemption poster which was just a black circular hole in the middle of a rectangle.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

uPen posted:

Jesus christ.

The Matrix one is still worse.

This one bugs me out because this premise - two cups of coffee on a blue diner table - would be AWESOME if it were done as photorealism and not dickhead loser child drawing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Avril Lavigne posted:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The matrix poster is the worst because while the concept is not inherently awful (you could easily do some thing good with the battery motif), the execution is so incredibly inept and lazy. Look at those loving colours. I don't know what the visual equivalent of a "tin ear" is, but the creator of that turd has two of them.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker

Actually, I kind of like that one, as far as minimalist posters go. I mean, it's nothing I'd ever buy or hang up or show any real pride towards it...but it it beats a lot of other minimalist crap I see.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Just beautiful, thankyou!

CaptainHollywood posted:

Exactly. I'd be hard pressed to find a worse poster. Although that Matrix one is lovely, and again I'm not too sure what it's supposed to represent (movie-wise) at least I know it's a battery immediately.

Well the humans are used as an energy source for the robots, and Morpheus explains that to Neo by showing him a battery, so at least there's more than one meaning behind it. The Ghostbusters one is literally just a representation of some lights on a thing. That iconic imagery that we all fell in love with the first time we saw Ghostbusters - some lights on a thing.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Avril Lavigne posted:

Well the humans are used as an energy source for the robots, and Morpheus explains that to Neo by showing him a battery, so at least there's more than one meaning behind it.

No, there is only one meaning to it. How is that more than one?