Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
One sip in and Wake 'N Bake is already the best beer I've ever had from Terrapin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

danbanana posted:

One sip in and Wake 'N Bake is already the best beer I've ever had from Terrapin.

This is good to hear since I have some coming in a trade. I've only ever had Hopsecutioner from them and it was a dusty old six pack tucked away on an endcap at the back of a Food Lion in the Outer Banks. It was a bit old and unimpressive though I'd have to imagine it would be much better fresher.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mahoning posted:

I've only ever had Hopsecutioner from them and it was a dusty old six pack tucked away on an endcap at the back of a Food Lion in the Outer Banks.

Holy poo poo. I think I bought some of that at the same Food Lion.

Last summer when my family went to the Outer Banks (first time I'd been there) we found a small, locally owned grocer that had a surprisingly good selection of stuff... until we started opening them and wondering why everything was so bad. Apparently in some cases, they had two year old stuff. And we're not talking ageable things...

I've also had plenty of fresh Terrapin now and... Meh. Not to dismiss the SE brewing community, but CCB is the only place I've had anything world-class from (and just about everything from them is).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

That being said, putting a Czech-style Pilsner in any sort of barrel sounds like a terrible idea. It's such a light, clean style and I don't see how you could put it in a barrel without either ruining it or overwhelming the flavor of the base beer.

Breweries can't resist the chance to jack around with pilsners and do A Bold American Take On A Classic StyleTM or whatever. But every imperial/double/barrel aged/whatever pilsner I've ever had has been awful and I wish the trend would die. It's like trying to put the Google front page through Blingee; the whole reason people like it is the beautiful simplicity. Dolling it up makes it feel bloated, overwrought and lovely.

And yeah, count me in the "Oskar Blues is probably overrated" camp. A few really great beers but most are ok-to-bad, and very expensive even in their home state.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm drinking a Struise Tsjeeses Reserva from 2010, I think. It's a very odd beer the body is a very ugly mud color with lots of sediment, but the aroma is inviting with sweet malts, and a strawberries and cream aroma with slight raspberry hints. The taste is a bit bright on the intro with citrus but the thick sweet malts take over quickly with strawberry and creamy overtones with a slightly tart raspberry cutting through that finishes rather dry. No hints of oak and a slight lingering spice. This is neither cloying or artificial tasting like other fruity beers I've had, though I guess I should note that they use no fruit in here so I guess it's the yeast that's giving off the fruity notes? Either way I like this much better than the regular version.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Docjowles posted:

But every imperial/double/barrel aged/whatever pilsner I've ever had has been awful and I wish the trend would die. overwrought and lovely.

Did you get the chance to try Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Imperial Pilsner?

Even though it's called an Imperial, they really didn't overdo it, and I thought it was a really fantastic beer. I would probably buy it in six packs if they ever decided to produce it full time.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kudosx posted:

Did you get the chance to try Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp Imperial Pilsner?

Even though it's called an Imperial, they really didn't overdo it, and I thought it was a really fantastic beer. I would probably buy it in six packs if they ever decided to produce it full time.

I actually really enjoyed that. No idea why they called it Imperial though, it was only like 5.5% abv iirc.

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!

bartolimu posted:

Iowa's pretty all right for some things. Iowa pork chops, for instance: in order to be called an Iowa chop, by law it has to be at least 1.25 inches thick. That's a pretty good sized pork chop. There are other gems, like driving around in summer to buy sweet corn from a farmer standing next to his field.

1 1/4 inch chops get fed to the kids, I don't waste time with anything less than 1 3/4. Unfortunately, the majority of the pork is super white and dry confinement pig, but there are a few places that you can get some ridiculously dark and fantastic meat. That is, if you have any room in the freezer after butchering the ten whitetails that volunteered to take an arrow.

And Iowa is in 2nd place for farmer's markets in the country, and 2nd in wind turbine energy production. And we got the gay marriage. Just not great breweries (some good ones though).

Sorry, but I got lots of love for my home state, sad that I'll be leaving it soon.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Speaking of appropriate comebacks:

danbanana posted:

Surly has definitely taken the Midwest path towards their pales, especially with Abrasive. Could have been a hop-bomb; Is definitely not. I'm always down to try what they brew. If this is a standard WCIPA, then I'd probably pass trying it again.

:golfclap:

danbanana posted:

I like the way you think. I have given this beer as a gift numerous times and it's difficult to stress how good it is to people. You should grab some closer to bottling time, too, I love it.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Got to taste a bit of history today with (Sam Adam's) New Albion Ale. Love the retro packaging and everything -- I poured out a pint and enjoyed it with a bowl of chili (this is GWS, right? Let's argue over my chili recipe later).

My first thought was that I was drinking a mass market lager, but done better. I know that sounds weird, but that's what I thought. It's been a while since I had a pilsner but that's what it reminded me of.

Anyway, enjoyable as a throwback to a different time, and I think it's awesome that the profits are going to the original brewer. Cool.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChickenArise posted:

Speaking of appropriate comebacks:

:golfclap:

I like the way you think. I have given this beer as a gift numerous times and it's difficult to stress how good it is to people. You should grab some closer to bottling time, too, I love it.

I honestly don't know if you're being sarcastic...

RE: Wake 'N Bake... It's very good. Almost FBS and, not to drag up last weekend, something I prefer over Speedway. Unfortunately, I live way out of their distribution area.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

SnowDog posted:

Got to taste a bit of history today with (Sam Adam's) New Albion Ale. Love the retro packaging and everything -- I poured out a pint and enjoyed it with a bowl of chili (this is GWS, right? Let's argue over my chili recipe later).

My first thought was that I was drinking a mass market lager, but done better. I know that sounds weird, but that's what I thought. It's been a while since I had a pilsner but that's what it reminded me of.

Anyway, enjoyable as a throwback to a different time, and I think it's awesome that the profits are going to the original brewer. Cool.

Saw this at the grocery store yesterday. I plan on trying a six pack at least, because I'm in love with the idea. I'm not expecting much but maybe that just means I'll be surprised.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I will be in SF this Sunday, presumably alone for the game. Is there a bar where I will be able to see the Superbowl on good quality TVs that doesn't have an abysmal beer selection? I realize that the likelihood of one is inversely proportional to the likelihood of the other, but maybe, just maybe...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

bartolimu posted:

Yep. They've convinced me I need to try it to see how awful it is, so uh good job on that I guess guys? It's usually Short's that gets me in line to taste the freakshow.

had a then-relatively-fresh Eiraphiotes (edit- an "imperial pilsner" aged in Chardonnay barrels) from Olde Hickory and, while i don't remember it very well, i didn't get a lot of barrel from it. it wasn't terrible or anything, but nobody was dying for a second taste.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 1, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I just got extraed a bottle of Knee Deep Simtra in a trade today. I hear it's pretty good, but do any of you guys have first hand experiences with it? Trying to decide whether to drink it tomorrow night or wait a week or so and share it with someone else...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Docjowles posted:

Breweries can't resist the chance to jack around with pilsners and do A Bold American Take On A Classic StyleTM or whatever. But every imperial/double/barrel aged/whatever pilsner I've ever had has been awful and I wish the trend would die. It's like trying to put the Google front page through Blingee; the whole reason people like it is the beautiful simplicity. Dolling it up makes it feel bloated, overwrought and lovely.

I like My Antonia well enough

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't necessarily agree that American brewers do bold American takes on Pilsners and other lagers anyways. For the most part, brewers are quite conservative with lagers.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

bartolimu posted:

Yep. They've convinced me I need to try it to see how awful it is, so uh good job on that I guess guys? It's usually Short's that gets me in line to taste the freakshow.
Just wait until Bluejacket really ramps up. I have pretty high hopes that I'm wrong, but so far I am wary. It does look like EBF is getting a good sample; I very much wanted to try the dark berliner weisse when it debuted. They didn't bring the Goobers beer, so that is good.

danbanana posted:

I honestly don't know if you're being sarcastic...

RE: Wake 'N Bake... It's very good. Almost FBS and, not to drag up last weekend, something I prefer over Speedway. Unfortunately, I live way out of their distribution area.

The only time I've had Abrasive it was very much like drinking a freshly opened bag of hops. It hurt my mouth a little.

WnB is even a little bit scarce in VA. This year was pretty good though, and MillerCoors bought out some of Terrapin's investors so that they could expand, so I have high hopes for the future. Their Rye Pale is drinking great right now.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

My favourite imperial pilsner, strangely enough, was Gordon Bierch's. I got it right when they released it, and it was a noble hop bomb over an only slightly amped up malt base. Where most imperial pilsners go wrong is amping up the malts way too much to get a higher ABV, and strangely enough, loving Gordon Biersch managed to somehow not gently caress it up. If your imperial pils goes over 7%, it's probably going to suck.

Lakefront's Wet Hop imperial pilsner was pretty solid too, for the same reason.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

I will be in SF this Sunday, presumably alone for the game. Is there a bar where I will be able to see the Superbowl on good quality TVs that doesn't have an abysmal beer selection? I realize that the likelihood of one is inversely proportional to the likelihood of the other, but maybe, just maybe...

They will all be extremely crowded.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChickenArise posted:

The only time I've had Abrasive it was very much like drinking a freshly opened bag of hops. It hurt my mouth a little.

Really? Compared to Palate Wrecker or Ruination or any number of the West Coast DIPAs, it's malty. There's also a subtle oat flavor and compared to the sweetness that follows Hopslam or the booze of Double Crooked Tree, it's somewhat unique to even the Midwest. I can't say it enough here: it is by far my favorite DIPA, on the planet.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

crazyfish posted:

I just got extraed a bottle of Knee Deep Simtra in a trade today. I hear it's pretty good, but do any of you guys have first hand experiences with it? Trying to decide whether to drink it tomorrow night or wait a week or so and share it with someone else...

Drink now, it goes down fast.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

indigi posted:

Public House at AT&T Park has lots of TVs and good beer, but it will probably be a mad house. (Everything with a TV will be crowded)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
For best year round IPAs I have to go with
Sculpin
Alesmith IPA
Odell IPA
SN Torpedo in 16oz cans
Lagunitas Sucks
Green Flash West Coast IPA

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Speaking of IPAs... I'm probably going to be drinking a lot of them at a party on Superbowl Sunday.

I was thinking about picking up about a case of beer for the party host and I to split.

What are some really good sessionable IPAs? I was thinking of grabbing a 6er of Lagunitas Daytime IPA, but other than that I'm a bit stumped on what to grab. I might also pick up a 6 pack of Levitation Ale or something, but it's hard to choose beers that I can drink 12 of throughout the day without getting sloppy drunk. I really wish Founder's All day was still available fresh this time of year!

e: I guess I could probably go up to ~7% ABV, so Two Hearted, and Columbus IPA are possibilities. Definitely gonna have to get two six packs of low (~5% ABV) beers though.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 1, 2013

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

Speaking of IPAs... I'm probably going to be drinking a lot of them at a party on Superbowl Sunday.

I was thinking about picking up about a case of beer for the party host and I to split.

What are some really good sessionable IPAs? I was thinking of grabbing a 6er of Lagunitas Daytime IPA, but other than that I'm a bit stumped on what to grab. I might also pick up a 6 pack of Levitation Ale or something, but it's hard to choose beers that I can drink 12 of throughout the day without getting sloppy drunk. I really wish Founder's All day was still available fresh this time of year!

e: I guess I could probably go up to ~7% ABV, so Two Hearted, and Columbus IPA are possibilities. Definitely gonna have to get two six packs of low (~5% ABV) beers though.

This is why 3F needs to distribute Gumballhead to Ohio. I know its not necessarily an IPA but its a great session beer IMO.

Columbus IPA is a good candidate, especially considering its cheap compared to most. Four C's from TBK can be a pretty good session beer and its relatively cheap. Again, you're kind of walking the line then between Pale Ale and India Pale Ale, which to me is pretty arbitrary if we're talking low ABV.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

crazyfish posted:

I bought it a bunch of times when I spent the summer in San Diego. It smells awesome, and the first sip is kind of a doozy, but I really enjoyed it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

2012 Abyss is finally hitting shelves in DFW. Has anyone tried this year's batch? It's absurdly scarce (supposedly 8 cases for the entire metroplex) and I'm wary about chasing it down.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

air- posted:

2012 Abyss is finally hitting shelves in DFW. Has anyone tried this year's batch? It's absurdly scarce (supposedly 8 cases for the entire metroplex) and I'm wary about chasing it down.

Do it. It's better than 2011, though not drinking as well as 2010 is right now. Has decent aging potential and may match the '10 in time. It's very good even now, though.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Seems like a good amount of people who live in Chicago check this thread so I may as well re-post this from YCS:

Revolution is having a three year anniversary party at their brewery tomorrow (Feb 2nd) - http://revbrew.com/whats-new/event-...party-session-1

Late session is sold out but there are still some tickets available for the early session. $50 for nine courses w/ beer pairings + take home glass + 22oz of their anniversary beer is a pretty good deal.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

Seems like a good amount of people who live in Chicago check this thread so I may as well re-post this from YCS:

Revolution is having a three year anniversary party at their brewery tomorrow (Feb 2nd) - http://revbrew.com/whats-new/event-...party-session-1

Late session is sold out but there are still some tickets available for the early session. $50 for nine courses w/ beer pairings + take home glass + 22oz of their anniversary beer is a pretty good deal.

It's a good deal, but I'm gonna skip the event and instead show up at the taproom the following Wednesday for pours of their 3rd anniversary beer. Love the taproom - it's gigantic and even during bottle releases it's never crowded.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

One of the managers at the Binny's I work at mentioned that Odell's in talks with multiple distributors to come out to Chicago somewhat soon, does anyone know anything about this? Is it just a rumor or is there actually something happening?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

crazyfish posted:

It's a good deal, but I'm gonna skip the event and instead show up at the taproom the following Wednesday for pours of their 3rd anniversary beer. Love the taproom - it's gigantic and even during bottle releases it's never crowded.

I still haven't gone yet. Really need to. I went to the Half Acre tap room for the first time a week or two ago and really liked it. It was crowded but had, I thought, a great atmosphere. Also great beers.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Heads up SoCal/NoCal. Firestone Walker Invitational tickets on sale
http://www.firestonebeer.com/mingle/fw-invitational-beer-fest.php

last year was amazing. Vanilla bean Dark lord just chilling there with no line. Probably the best beer event I've been to.

Jack Skeleton fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 1, 2013

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Wamsutta, I know you don't post in this thread very often but if you're lurking, NEBCO is releasing another batch of Fuzzy Baby Ducks today after 3 and they said it should last through saturday at least. Just a head's up

edit: I just realized your last post was just before Sandy hit :stare:

PoopShipDestroyer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 1, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Slimy Hog posted:

One of the managers at the Binny's I work at mentioned that Odell's in talks with multiple distributors to come out to Chicago somewhat soon, does anyone know anything about this? Is it just a rumor or is there actually something happening?

This is the first I've heard about this. Other than the sours (which I hear good things about), what else is worthwhile from them?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

crazyfish posted:

This is the first I've heard about this. Other than the sours (which I hear good things about), what else is worthwhile from them?

Odell IPA should always be in your fridge.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

In my experience with O'Dell, if they aged it in a barrel, it's going to be fantastic.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

For their seasonal and year-round stuff, besides the obvious IPA I like Cutthroat Porter and Odell Red (a hoppy American red) quite a bit. I'd call their other beers above average but not great. The barrel aged stuff is indeed always awesome. One thing I appreciate about having them locally is that they always have like 10+ random small batch beers on in their tap room from their 5 barrel pilot system. You can stop in twice a week if you want and always have something new to try. Every so often they make a behemoth called Mash of the Titans that's ridiculously rich and good, wish it was available more regularly.

They also just put out Lugene milk stout, which underwhelmed me but Ratebeer and the like seem to adore it.

edit: for the record it's Odell, not O'Dell. :spergin:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
From the Dark Horse facebook page:

To whoever was about to hit Dark Horse soon: have fun! It's pretty awesome. I think they only pour the BBl Plead the 5th in the VIP room, but even if you can't do that I think they'll still have plenty of good beers to choose from and probably a couple unusual ones that you won't find in stores (they seem to be doing this a lot more often now and they are mostly worth it, even if I wouldn't call them all "good" I think they're unusual enough to make it worth the experience).

I still recommend a half Crooked Tree/half Raspberry blend. Liquid flowers, man. Also: their pumpkin seed cilantro pizza is really, really good.