Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

I'll admit I don't mind the concept here. At least here the reference is something people know, and it does at least stick to it by, well, not talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

penismightier posted:

No, there is only one meaning to it. How is that more than one?

I'm also counting it being literally a battery as the first meaning.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Avril Lavigne posted:

I'm also counting it being literally a battery as the first meaning.

Ha fair enough, but I think that's kind of like giving a kid a point for writing his name on the test.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

couldcareless posted:

This. Also, I thought he was fantastic in Series of Unfortunate Events.
Yeah it was really sad that never became a franchise.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Avril Lavigne posted:

I challenge anyone to find a worse minimalist fan-made poster than this:

All of these tend to ape one of two things.

1. Swiss Design.
Helvetica disease and attempt at sparse minimalism actually go against the intention of that movement. Swiss Design is aimed towards legibility, objectivity and simplicity. The message conveyed had to be direct as possible. Having people guess based on invented iconography and presumed association is a bad design.

The Karate Kid poster looks like it's asking me to refresh something and the Back to the Future looks like a wonky golden spiral.

Pro tip : You are allowed to use photos.

2. Duo tone drive in posters.
The whole cut-out and blow up style for small-town cinema chains is appealing because people can see the rough and ready nature and figure out how to replicate it with little hassle. They were popular style of their time for being cheap and quick to manufacture and I suppose evoke the era where film was shifting away from studio control.

I suppose giving it a worn look is supposed to suggest age and respectability and in a sense try and steer away from the overly crisp and polished modern day posters. But it's a very cheap way to add "charm".

BogDew fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 1, 2013

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Uuuuuugh, that's the diagram Doc draws in explaining the tangential timelines, isn't it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So I was looking for minimalist Miyazaki posters to feed the goon hate machine, when I found this: http://www.chongweikk.com/2012/02/12-reinvented-visual-arts-for-miyazakis.html

I like, I like.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Those are loving awesome, especially that Ponyo one. Not sure what's going on with that redhead's face in Porco Rosso though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Some of the facial expressions in those are a bit unnerving, but for the most part, those are fantastic and I need to own that Spirited Away one.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Uuuuuugh, that's the diagram Doc draws in explaining the tangential timelines, isn't it.

I could have sworn Doc's looked different and was a "Z". Which makes this even worse.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Avril Lavigne posted:

I challenge anyone to find a worse minimalist fan-made poster than this:

Even if you do know what it's supposed to represent, it still says nothing beyond 'a Proton Pack has four red lights'. Besides which, the official poster with the No-Ghost logo is about as perfect as a minimalist Ghostbusters poster can get.

Well, it could also be trying to tell us that of the four Ghostbusters, Bill Murray shines the brightest.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It shows the path the plot takes. They start out in 1985, go to 2015, then to the alternate 1985, and finally end up in 1955.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
No, it's the flaming tracks the car makes in the air when it spins to the 1800s after being struck by lightning at the end of the second movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

That Ghostbusters one is off center, too, isn't it. That thing is a monstrosity.

Excelsior
Apr 30, 2003

I made a couple minimalist posters in about 2 minutes a piece (the longest part was learning how to do that stupid paper effect):

Should've used Helvetica. Hindsight is 20/20.

Those Miyazaki posters are wonderful, though, even if I'm a little put off by seeing the characters more... realisitically stylized.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Excelsior posted:

I made a couple minimalist posters in about 2 minutes a piece (the longest part was learning how to do that stupid paper effect):

Congratulations, you have proven your point and managed to make me angry at a poster.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It should have been a can of dog food.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Excelsior posted:

Should've used Helvetica. Hindsight is 20/20.

Those Miyazaki posters are wonderful, though, even if I'm a little put off by seeing the characters more... realisitically stylized.

You call those minimalist posters? This is a minimalist poster.

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.

Whoa. That layout is like an instant minimalist poster generator! :downs:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Hugs Boson posted:

Now that I think about it there must be a 2001 A Space Odyssey poster that's just that minus two. Yeesh.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Now that I think about it there must be a 2001 A Space Odyssey poster that's just that minus two. Yeesh.

That could cover the terminator too.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
This is torture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_eSwq1ewsU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Black Dynamite has a pretty cool fan poster:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

scary ghost dog posted:

Black Dynamite has a pretty cool fan poster:

That desperately needs a tagline. Like "FISTS OF FURY EXPLODE FROM THE SCREEN" or "HIS GUN ISN'T THE ONLY EXPLOSIVE THING HERE." or "HE'S BLACK. HE'S DYNAMITE. HE'S..."

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I give it half a point because not only is that the coffee scene where De Niro and Al Pacino get chummy and have coffee together, the poster also portrays the final gunfight between their characters. Ever play an old video game where your tank or soldier is a circle with a dot sticking out of it? That's what I see in this picture. The coffee handles are "turrets", where De Niro and Pacino are aiming with guns drawn, playing a game of cat and mouse, and the word HEAT is that white shack that separated them on the airstrip.

It's not worth defending, but that's at least what I see.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ok now I see it. It's a creative design repurposed to be a lame movie poster.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Honestly, I really like these (until the third one) and the Taxi Driver poster.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hugs Boson posted:

:golfclap:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

penismightier posted:

No, there is only one meaning to it. How is that more than one?

It symbolizes how the Matrix keeps going and going and going...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just found this one I made a year or so ago. I can't remember if it was for a minimalist poster photoshop thread here or at another site. It's for that german safety video.... you know the one.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Oh man, I like every part of it but the font.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

As far as awful minimalist posters go, wasn't there one for Drive that had nothing but a hammer and a toothpick? That was so bad. There have been maybe one or two good posters for that movie and everything else - particularly the minimalist stuff - have been complete poo poo.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Castle in the Sky, as produced by New World Pictures:

And as long as I'm posting ghibli posters, we can't forget the best one:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why are the characters Japanese? Isn't that film set in fake Europe like most of their fantasy films?

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Those aren't good and the original poster is a lot better.

This one?

It's just busy version of the posters with floating heads.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just found this one I made a year or so ago. I can't remember if it was for a minimalist poster photoshop thread here or at another site. It's for that german safety video.... you know the one.

Ah, yes, the famous german saftey video Staple-Führer Klaus...

Not to be confused with the obscure Staplerfahrer Klaus.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Lance Streetman posted:

Ghibli posters

I like how the animals in the Nausicaä poster look exactly like in the manga/movie.
The Totoro poster makes it look more like a horror movie than a cute nonsensical children's movie, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Since we were talking a week or two ago about people doing Vallejo or Franzetta "maximalist" poster to counter all the minimalist fan posters, I've been thinking about doing just that. Currently, the only one I can think of is Office Space, but what would anyone else want to see as some "muscle and tits fantasy art" rendition of a movie?