Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Aren't the connectors identical for the fusion? It's just two drives glued together with software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The SSD mounts onto a connector mounted on the logic board on both the 21.5 and 27 inch late 2012 iMacs.

Since there's no discrete part for the connector, and there aren't any logic boards with SUPPORTS SSDs in the description, it's probably on every logic board.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

bloodysabbath posted:

I've got 3k allotted for a 15 inch retina MBP with 16gb of ram, and now this thread has me terrified that I'm going to end up with a laggy mess. :(

I was planning on holding off until the next refresh, though. Is the lag in the retinas a common problem? Every site I've read had nothing but praise for it, but then again, lol tech journalism.

I just went through this exact situation, and I put my thoughts down in the past couple pages. I had the maxed out rMBP (except only 512GB SSD), and it's a little silly how much smoother OSX feels with the MBA I replaced it with (2.0GHz, 8GB, 512GB SSD). The screen is definitely beautiful, but I don't think that the larger retina screen is worth the premium you'll be paying for what I feel is a product with a lot of problems.

Keep in mind, my primary use case is as a developer, so I spent a couple of days with the rMBP using it as my main machine, and I personally couldn't get over the lag. It's not too much, but if you're coming from having used OSX on a daily basis previously, it's definitely noticeable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

The SSD mounts onto a connector mounted on the logic board on both the 21.5 and 27 inch late 2012 iMacs.

Since there's no discrete part for the connector, and there aren't any logic boards with SUPPORTS SSDs in the description, it's probably on every logic board.

This is what I was going by:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/12/you-wont-be-adding-an-aftermarket-ssd-to-your-new-imac/

quote:

There are traces showing on the logic board that line up with an SSD plucked from a retina 13-inch MacBook Pro, as shown at right. However, the connector to actually plug in the SSD is missing. It seems that the connector isn't even added at the factory for the base model.

Further, a scouring of the logic board reveals no spare SATA ports anywhere. The SATA connector used for the iMac's 2.5-inch hard disk drive appears to be the only one present inside the computer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

unpurposed posted:

I just went through this exact situation, and I put my thoughts down in the past couple pages. I had the maxed out rMBP (except only 512GB SSD), and it's a little silly how much smoother OSX feels with the MBA I replaced it with (2.0GHz, 8GB, 512GB SSD). The screen is definitely beautiful, but I don't think that the larger retina screen is worth the premium you'll be paying for what I feel is a product with a lot of problems.

I imagine for most people it's just worth to wait a few generations, I hope the Retina technology trickles down to the rest of the line, gets a bit more polished for broader range software support and also gets sold at a better pricepoint.

I like this quick summary on why the MBA is a nicer option even if you have pile of money to spare:
http://lea.verou.me/2012/06/why-i-bought-a-high-end-macbook-air-instead-of-the-retina-mbp/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

etalian posted:

I imagine for most people it's just worth to wait a few generations, I hope the Retina technology trickles down to the rest of the line, gets a bit more polished for broader range software support and also gets sold at a better pricepoint.

I like this quick summary on why the MBA is a nicer option even if you have pile of money to spare:
http://lea.verou.me/2012/06/why-i-bought-a-high-end-macbook-air-instead-of-the-retina-mbp/

That article is 6 months old and the author goes with a 13" Air over the 15" rMBP

This guy bought a 15" rMPB, took it back and got a 13" Air, then when the 13" rMPB came out he went back and got that:

http://www.briangardner.com/macbook-pro-retina-display/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

That article is 6 months old and the author goes with a 13" Air over the 15" rMBP

This guy bought a 15" rMPB, took it back and got a 13" Air, then when the 13" rMPB came out he went back and got that:

http://www.briangardner.com/macbook-pro-retina-display/

The 13" rMBP is nice but really falls apart when you look at value vs. the older MBA design.

But overall yes the the Retina weight and dimension improvements do narrow down the portability advantage of the Mac Book Air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

etalian posted:

The 13" rMBP is nice but really falls apart when you look at value vs. the older MBA design.

But overall yes the the Retina weight and dimension improvements do narrow down the portability advantage of the Mac Book Air.

Yea, it's $400 which is basically 33% more $ for a Retina screen, HDMI output, and extra Thunderbolt port.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I don't use my machine the way a lot of you do; it's for work so some light excel work, lots of internet based stuff, email, etc. I also use Parallels for outlook, and a few Windows programs I need for my job.

I have the 15"rMBP and I have zero performance issues. I started out with a 13" air then went to a 13" rMBP and finally settled on the 15.

I was able to totally ditch my external monitor so it's really easy to move my laptop around either within the building or taking it home. I realize not everyone can work on a 15" screen, but with this one I can do everything and not only don't miss my 27" external but won't go back.

It is really nice that you can use the machine for 14 days and take it back no questions asked.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Suqit posted:

I don't use my machine the way a lot of you do; it's for work so some light excel work, lots of internet based stuff, email, etc. I also use Parallels for outlook, and a few Windows programs I need for my job.

I have the 15"rMBP and I have zero performance issues. I started out with a 13" air then went to a 13" rMBP and finally settled on the 15.

I was able to totally ditch my external monitor so it's really easy to move my laptop around either within the building or taking it home. I realize not everyone can work on a 15" screen, but with this one I can do everything and not only don't miss my 27" external but won't go back.

It is really nice that you can use the machine for 14 days and take it back no questions asked.

Yeah the Apple try before you buy guarantee is pretty awesome.

The 15" Retina is certainly a better value than the smaller 13" rMBP given the beefier specs and the Retina weight/dimension savings help it avoid the boat anchor feeling you often get with larger screen laptops.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apple to Halt Mac Pro Sales in Europe Effective March 1 Over Regulatory Requirements

quote:

As of March 1, 2013, Apple will no longer sell Mac Pro in EU, EU candidate and EFTA countries because these systems are not compliant with Amendment 1 of regulation IEC 60950-1, Second Edition which becomes effective on this date. Apple resellers can continue to sell any remaining inventory of Mac Pro after March 1.

Apple will take final orders for Mac Pro from resellers up until February 18th for shipment before March 1, 2013.

Countries outside of the EU are not impacted and Mac Pro will continue to be available in those areas.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1535140

Maybe the new models will be out around that time, and they'll comply with the standards, and Apple just doesn't want to re-certify something that they are going to stop selling anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tim Cook's email said "later" in the year so who knows. Looks like Ivy Bridge Xeons are set for late this year so that'd tie their hands, barring an early option/new machine with desktop Haswell/Xeon E3 (early/mid year).

As for why the Mac Pro didn't pass regulations:

quote:

At issue are the large fans within the Mac Pro. Since they are unprotected, it would be possible to touch the fan blades.

"The new requirements necessitate fan guards and some increased protection on the ports on the electrical system," explained Apple.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's a fair price for a used 2011 11" MBA? Can the RAM be upgraded?

1.6 dual core i5
2GB RAM
64GB SSD
HD3000

No AppleCare.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 1, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's a fair price for a used 2011 MBA? Can the RAM be upgraded?

1.6 dual core i5
2GB RAM
64GB SSD
HD3000

No AppleCare.

Remember the size savings focus for the MBA means the RAM is soldered on the logic board so upgrading it is not posible.

You can upgrade the SSD with a third party drive but it's not cost effective plus being somewhat challenging.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's a fair price for a used 2011 MBA? Can the RAM be upgraded?

1.6 dual core i5
2GB RAM
64GB SSD
HD3000

No AppleCare.

I'd pay $600 tops if the condition is perfect.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's a fair price for a used 2011 11" MBA? Can the RAM be upgraded?

1.6 dual core i5
2GB RAM
64GB SSD
HD3000

No AppleCare.

Oh hell no. 2GB memory? 64 GB SSD? Ridiculous! To me that would mean it's only for some web browsing and email, and I'd get an iPad for that.

Also, for all these questions, it's important to know what kind of usage people have in mind.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
You can buy a current-gen refurbished Air for $850. Also, 10.8 runs like poo poo with only 2GB.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

I don't know anyone who would want to crack open a new iMac.
We should have some gutted ones around here somewhere. I'll poke around.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Suqit posted:

I have the 15"rMBP and I have zero performance issues.

I also have the 15 rMBP (mine is the base model) and I'm not seeing these performance issues either.

Mine can load the gifs thread pages in like under 5 seconds and scroll through them like its just plain text. Safari and firefox both seem to do this effortlessly, never used chrome.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what the issue is?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Some have complained that the new iMac feels slow because of the 2.5" HD

You can't upgrade the new one as easily as the old one (4 RAM slots at the bottom and basically pop the screen glass off, remove some torx screws and add any 3.5" HD you wanted)

The new one has the screen glued on and you have to take it apart to add RAM

Awesome, thank you. I think I'll just save some cash and go with last year's model. Doesn't hurt that it has a superdrive already.

flavor posted:

Also, for all these questions, it's important to know what kind of usage people have in mind.

Forgot to put that in mine, but I'm basically a casual user. Going to use it for school, browsing, limited picture editing.

Last question, anyone have any experience with buying used from Amazon? Anything to look for other than common sense online stuff?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Long time lurker, first time poster, question, I'm looking at getting a used 17 (there are no new 17 retina MBPs, so used 17 it is MBP, are there any models to look out for, any pros/cons besides the usual applecare rules? Price isn't much of an issue, and I am in the NY metro area so besides Tekserv, any local stores to look for MBPs?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Last question, anyone have any experience with buying used from Amazon? Anything to look for other than common sense online stuff?
Since you'll presumably be buying from resellers and individuals I'd suggest going for the "fulfilled by Amazon" ones. In case something is hosed up it'll be easier to return since it'll be like the standard Amazon return process and the seller doesn't really get involved at all iirc, whereas with other ones you'll have to deal with the seller directly, which could be a hassle.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
I'm looking to upgrade my mid-2009 MacBook Pro in the near future (it's chugging like a motherfucker, it's skin scorchingly hot, the battery life is now pretty much non-existent), but I'm up in the air as to what I should get.

I have pretty average needs (MS Office, internet, etc), with some light Photoshop usage. I'd also like to be able to play some games (WoW, TF2) without the computer turning into slideshow that is also on fire.

The other thing is that want to have Windows available (either in parallel desktops or as a separate boot, haven't decided yet) to do the occasional remote login and to run a number of finance programs and Excel for work (good god does Excel for Mac sucks balls).

I'm also planning on getting an external monitor for at home, but not one of the Apple models.

Is the 13" Air enough computer for what I need? Any other things I should keep in mind while perusing my options?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bamabalacha posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my mid-2009 MacBook Pro in the near future (it's chugging like a motherfucker, it's skin scorchingly hot, the battery life is now pretty much non-existent), but I'm up in the air as to what I should get.

I have pretty average needs (MS Office, internet, etc), with some light Photoshop usage. I'd also like to be able to play some games (WoW, TF2) without the computer turning into slideshow that is also on fire.

Is the 13" Air enough computer for what I need? Any other things I should keep in mind while perusing my options?

Yup. You may want to consider the 256GB SSD if you plan on having a Windows 7 install on there though.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The Air has an HD4000 in it. I don't know how WoW/TF2 performance is, but CS:GO runs at 1080p with about 40fps (low settings) and Diablo 3 gets about 20 (low settings).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

spunkshui posted:

I also have the 15 rMBP (mine is the base model) and I'm not seeing these performance issues either.

Mine can load the gifs thread pages in like under 5 seconds and scroll through them like its just plain text. Safari and firefox both seem to do this effortlessly, never used chrome.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what the issue is?

I have 15 rMBP (base) I have no issues and love the machine. I use it with bootcamp and external monitors often. I've had no kernel panics.

If you work for a large company check to make sure you don't have a corporate discount. I ordered mine through Appogee http://appogee.com for $1940.00 and couldn't be happier.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bob Morales posted:

Yup. You may want to consider the 256GB SSD if you plan on having a Windows 7 install on there though.

I have a 256 GB SSD in my 13" MBP and am running Boot Camp, and I can say that 256 is almost too little for having a dual install. I created a 120 GB partition for Windows 7 and after installing (and updating) Win 7, Office 2010 and WoW, I only had about 25 GB remaining for the additional apps I needed.

I've been tempted to reinstall and allocate more space to it, but I also have Office 2011 for Mac installed on OS C
X and save my iPhone and iPad backups to the OS X partition (as well as my iTunes apps and files), so ultimately both aren't running with much remaining space.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Ryand-Smith posted:

Long time lurker, first time poster, question, I'm looking at getting a used 17 (there are no new 17 retina MBPs, so used 17 it is MBP, are there any models to look out for, any pros/cons besides the usual applecare rules? Price isn't much of an issue, and I am in the NY metro area so besides Tekserv, any local stores to look for MBPs?

Get a refurb from the online Apple store. The refurbs are basically same as new, and you can buy applecare for it if you want to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SourKraut posted:

I have a 256 GB SSD in my 13" MBP and am running Boot Camp, and I can say that 256 is almost too little for having a dual install. I created a 120 GB partition for Windows 7 and after installing (and updating) Win 7, Office 2010 and WoW, I only had about 25 GB remaining for the additional apps I needed.

I've been tempted to reinstall and allocate more space to it, but I also have Office 2011 for Mac installed on OS C
X and save my iPhone and iPad backups to the OS X partition (as well as my iTunes apps and files), so ultimately both aren't running with much remaining space.

You can resize with a Linux live USB + GParted

birds
Jun 28, 2008

So I think this would be the right thread for this.

I took advantage of the Best Buy deal and got a 13 inch MacBook Air for $999. I already use a 11 inch mid-2011 version and obviously have no need for it now and would like to sell it. I was wondering, how accurate is Mac2Sell? It says my Mac is worth about $690 which seems really low. Then again, I have never sold my old Macs before so I'm brand new to this.

It's the stock mid-2011 11 inch but I upgraded the SSD to an OWC 180 GB drive and it's in excellent condition. Anyone know if this is an accurate price or could I get more?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Look for comparable machines on sale where you plan to sell it, pick a price going off of that. Otherwise I'd go off Apple's refurb prices as a starting point and deal down from there if necessary.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Macintosh posted:

So I think this would be the right thread for this.

I took advantage of the Best Buy deal and got a 13 inch MacBook Air for $999. I already use a 11 inch mid-2011 version and obviously have no need for it now and would like to sell it. I was wondering, how accurate is Mac2Sell? It says my Mac is worth about $690 which seems really low. Then again, I have never sold my old Macs before so I'm brand new to this.

It's the stock mid-2011 11 inch but I upgraded the SSD to an OWC 180 GB drive and it's in excellent condition. Anyone know if this is an accurate price or could I get more?

People were getting open box 11" Airs for $650 last week at Best Buy. The Apple refurb store and Mac Mall have them cheap too.

Is it a 2GB or 4GB model? That price seems right, high if it's a 2GB

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The MBA 11" is pretty interesting product since it provides laptop features in close to tablet size.

But I decided to avoid it in my next upgrade cycle since the smaller size means worse battery life and also found it harder to type due to the smaller keyboard size.

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 2, 2013

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

etalian posted:

The MBA 11" is pretty interesting product since it provides laptop features in close to tablet size.

But I decided to avoid it in my next upgrade cycle since the smaller size means worse battery life and also found it harder to type due to the smaller keyboard size.

I thought it had the same keyboard as the 13" besides smaller function keys?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MOLLUSC posted:

I thought it had the same keyboard as the 13" besides smaller function keys?

It does. It has a slightly shorter trackpad but it's still great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just upgraded my 13" rMBP with a 256GB SSD from a 15" rMBP. drat those stupid pentalobe screws.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT

etalian posted:

I've got an 11" MBA and I'm in the same boat. I love it and it'd be my primary machine, except that the battery life is obnoxiously short. They advertise "7 hours" but it's more in the realm of four, and that's if you're conservative with your settings and can read an almost-black screen. In practice, it's three, which is just not enough for anything but a satellite to a larger setup.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

InstantInfidel posted:

I've got an 11" MBA and I'm in the same boat. I love it and it'd be my primary machine, except that the battery life is obnoxiously short. They advertise "7 hours" but it's more in the realm of four, and that's if you're conservative with your settings and can read an almost-black screen. In practice, it's three, which is just not enough for anything but a satellite to a larger setup.

Which model year do you have? The 2012 definitely improved over the 2011 version. To be fair, they advertise the 11" with 5 hours of battery life.

InstantInfidel
Jan 9, 2010

BEST :10bux: I EVER SPENT
I've got the mid-2012. I'm probably mistaken on the quoted battery life, then, as I already had a pretty good idea of what it would be when I bought it. I'd definitely kill for the 13" MBA's battery in this, though, it'd certainly be my one and only computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

InstantInfidel posted:

I've got the mid-2012. I'm probably mistaken on the quoted battery life, then, as I already had a pretty good idea of what it would be when I bought it. I'd definitely kill for the 13" MBA's battery in this, though, it'd certainly be my one and only computer.

And there are not many good options out there for sub-13" well-built laptops.

I like this size comparison: