Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

what's wrong with amazon's the invisibles omni?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Invisibles-Omnibus-Various/dp/1401234593/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359011803&sr=8-1&keywords=invisibles+omnibus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Massive spine stress. I've returned all the ones we've ordered because of it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I haven't had any problem with mine, other than my own personal strength and will power not being enough to lift the book from the shelf.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Looking to pick up Frank Miller's Daredevil run. Do I get these or get the Visionaries Vol. 2 & 3 TPBs?

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

KingShiro posted:

Looking to pick up Frank Miller's Daredevil run. Do I get these or get the Visionaries Vol. 2 & 3 TPBs?

I only have the newer set (the one in your link) but they should be similar in content and essentially interchangeable if you just want to read the main run. The differences are in the other things collected to fill up the volumes - Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson is notably missing What If #35 and Bizarre Adventures #28 (probably because they were in the Elektra omnibus), but it's got Daredevil: Love and War by Miller and Siekiewicz as a trade-off.

Visionaries 2 and 3 might be a better deal if you can find them since they dumped all the Miller-drawn but not Miller-written issues in volume 1 but all the Visionaries trades and vol 3. of DD by Miller/Janson seem to be out of print. :cripes:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

KingShiro posted:

When you get beyond those, I have extra copies of DD: Born Again (TPB) and DD: The Man Without Fear (Premiere Hardcover) if you want to fill out the rest of your Miller run.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Adam Strange posted:

I only have the newer set (the one in your link) but they should be similar in content and essentially interchangeable if you just want to read the main run. The differences are in the other things collected to fill up the volumes - Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson is notably missing What If #35 and Bizarre Adventures #28 (probably because they were in the Elektra omnibus), but it's got Daredevil: Love and War by Miller and Siekiewicz as a trade-off.

Visionaries 2 and 3 might be a better deal if you can find them since they dumped all the Miller-drawn but not Miller-written issues in volume 1 but all the Visionaries trades and vol 3. of DD by Miller/Janson seem to be out of print. :cripes:

Probably going to go Visionaries route since I can get 2&3 reasonably priced from the Amazon marketplace.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

When you get beyond those, I have extra copies of DD: Born Again (TPB) and DD: The Man Without Fear (Premiere Hardcover) if you want to fill out the rest of your Miller run.

Alright.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
CGN is taking preorders for the first Daredevil by Waid deluxe OSHC here.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I have been thinking about picking up the Invisibles Omnibus because I have been getting more into Grant Morrison. Will it stay in print for a while or should I jump on it now. Is there a way to tell what books are gonna disappear? I still regret not picking up that Ennis Punisher Omnibus for $50 a few years ago.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

sporklift posted:

I have been thinking about picking up the Invisibles Omnibus because I have been getting more into Grant Morrison. Will it stay in print for a while or should I jump on it now. Is there a way to tell what books are gonna disappear? I still regret not picking up that Ennis Punisher Omnibus for $50 a few years ago.

Things like this will almost certainly never be reprinted. If it ever is reprinted, it will be years and years.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
So who is getting the 16 pound, 200 dollar Wolverine collection?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Terrifying, just terrifying.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is a bunch of stuff already collected multiple times over including some high end premium reprints really the best way to inaugurate this line of wallet drainers? If it was Ennis's Punisher at least that would be a situation where the omnibus is out of print and there's still a lot of demand for the material.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

KingShiro posted:

Terrifying, just terrifying.
Seriously, get that woman a stylist immediately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't need that but I want it. Oh how I want it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

gently caress yeah I want it. It's only $139.40!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I might be in the minority, but there comes a point where a book is just too stupid big to actually read. That's more than twice the weight of Vol. 1 of Absolute Sandman. I'm not the biggest wolverine fan, so I don't mind missing it, but I'd really like to see Marvel look into things that are comparable to absolutes, much more than that and I can't see them as reasonable options to actually read and enjoy.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I think the only book that can compare is

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Didn't a Spawn collection come out a couple of years ago that cost over $1000 and had something for all five senses, ie, a scratch and sniff component, sounds like those annoying greeting cards, etc? I thought I saw an article about it about two years ago and now google yields nothing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hatter106 posted:

I think the only book that can compare is

Is there a Marvel equivalent of this?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hakkesshu posted:

Is there a Marvel equivalent of this?

There is only one Paul Levitz.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Happy Hippo posted:

Didn't a Spawn collection come out a couple of years ago that cost over $1000 and had something for all five senses, ie, a scratch and sniff component, sounds like those annoying greeting cards, etc? I thought I saw an article about it about two years ago and now google yields nothing.

I think that was an April Fool's joke.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think that was an April Fool's joke.

Yeah, it was a hoax. They said there were three versions, with the most expensive one having chains around the cover and the greeting card sound was Al screaming "WANDAAAAAAA!" every other page.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I am very disappointed that that abomination was never made.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

bairfanx posted:

There is only one Paul Levitz.

Reply of the year

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Here's the original April Fool's Day link:

Spawn Infernal Edition

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If that was real and reasonably priced I'd probably buy it. I've been meaning to pick up an early Spawn trade to see if it's as least as fun as I remember it being, but given the material, 90s kitsch seems to fit a little better than :geno: TPBs.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Karnegal posted:

A lesser HC gripe, but it still kills me that the new 52 Batwoman volumes aren't the same size as Elegy.

I thought I was the only one with this issue! My OCD is going bonkers when I put them together on my shelf. But I sort books by lead characters/teams first so my priorities are all confused.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Not sure what the best thread would be, but figure this is the best shot of finding some TPB experts - how good is Image at doing big collections? I'm looking to get into Fatale, but would prefer something with more heft than a five-issue trade. Just have no idea how long I'd be waiting to see something with a few hundred pages or if I should give in and get what's already published.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Not sure what the best thread would be, but figure this is the best shot of finding some TPB experts - how good is Image at doing big collections? I'm looking to get into Fatale, but would prefer something with more heft than a five-issue trade. Just have no idea how long I'd be waiting to see something with a few hundred pages or if I should give in and get what's already published.

We might be waiting awhile, but I will be very surprised if we don't see an oversized, single volume hardcover after the series wraps up. That's what I'm waiting for.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Brubaker & Phillips — for it is they who would have the final say over this one — seem to be trying their hardest to get deluxe hardcovers of all their stuff out there. Incognito, Scene of the Crime and both volumes of Criminal are out already, and Sleeper is coming out in March (though that one's due to DC).

Brubaker seems pretty annoyed about it (he's spoken several times, in tones of bafflement and irritation, about people "waiting for the deluxe hardcovers" and how hard that makes it to judge the success of a new series) but I think he's resigned to it.

So, yes, expect a Fatale OSHC eventually, but also expect to wait two or three years for it.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Brubaker seems pretty annoyed about it (he's spoken several times, in tones of bafflement and irritation, about people "waiting for the deluxe hardcovers" and how hard that makes it to judge the success of a new series) but I think he's resigned to it.

It bugs the hell out of me when creators complain about this, especially when they almost exclusively write stories that read better in 1 sitting and creator owned books that come out super erratically.

The ONLY way to stop people from "waiting for the trade or HC" is to only release stories in single issues and we all know that isn't going to happen. They don't want to leave that money on the table, but they will complain about it. :colbert:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I get why he's upset, but that is still a lovely attitude to have. Buying single issues is worse for the consumer in every way, the only benefit being that you get to read them earlier. But even then that's not always optimal, as some stories read better in one sitting. I honestly think it's one of the biggest reasons why more people aren't into comics. It's a complete hassle to deal with over just buying trades, which also isn't a great solution, the way the industry works right now.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 4, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I get why he's upset, but that is still a lovely attitude to have. Buying single issues is worse for the consumer in every way, the only benefit being that you get to read them earlier. But even then that's not always optimal, as some stories read better in one sitting. I honestly think it's one of the biggest reasons why more people aren't into comics. It's a complete hassle to deal with over just buying trades, which also isn't a great solution, the way the industry works right now.

Brubaker is probably my favorite comic writer, but one thing I don't love is how he includes bonus material in his singles (Criminal and Incognito, not sure about Fatale) as a reward for people who buy them, but purposely has it left out of the trade paperbacks, punishing the trade-waiters like me. I know I COULD buy the singles, but I just don't like the format, and I think of TPBs as the equivalent of TV seasons on DVD, which usually contain bonus features.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Brubaker is probably my favorite comic writer, but one thing I don't love is how he includes bonus material in his singles (Criminal and Incognito, not sure about Fatale) as a reward for people who buy them, but purposely has it left out of the trade paperbacks, punishing the trade-waiters like me. I know I COULD buy the singles, but I just don't like the format, and I think of TPBs as the equivalent of TV seasons on DVD, which usually contain bonus features.
It's an incentive for people to buy the singles, not a punishment for those who don't.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

It's an incentive for people to buy the singles, not a punishment for those who don't.

I know, I know, and I understand his rationale, but it's still annoying.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

I know, I know, and I understand his rationale, but it's still annoying.

Bind the singles into a sexy hardcover. Boom problem solved.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Not sure if anyone else cares, but I decided I wanted to get Hellboy in the hard back library editions. Unfortunately Vol. 1 is sold out everywhere, so I tweeted Dark Horse and they said more are on the way in the spring. If only certain larger companies with more resources were so dedicated to keeping their deluxe editions in print (Reprint Absolute Authority you bastards :argh:)

wildlele posted:

Bind the singles into a sexy hardcover. Boom problem solved.

Which would be an easier piece of advice to follow if some publishers didn't put 1-sided ads in their poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Not sure if anyone else cares, but I decided I wanted to get Hellboy in the hard back library editions. Unfortunately Vol. 1 is sold out everywhere, so I tweeted Dark Horse and they said more are on the way in the spring. If only certain larger companies with more resources were so dedicated to keeping their deluxe editions in print (Reprint Absolute Authority you bastards :argh:)

It's not sold out on Amazon UK. You could import it from there if you wanted.

Edit: Wait, yeah, sorry, it is. It says 1-4 weeks expected shipping. I'm guessing they're getting new ones soon, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DCBS has it in their store, or they did last week. I tried to find it on IST but holy poo poo does their search function suck. I wonder if Radium coded their site.