Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

The truth of watching rally in person. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Foehammer007 posted:

The truth of watching rally in person. :saddowns:

Rally seriously is one of those sports where its sometimes better to watch it on TV rather than in person. Unless its The Mineshaft in Canberra. Then its awesome to watch pro rally drivers poo poo themselves in mid air in realtime!

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Ferremit posted:

Rally seriously is one of those sports where its sometimes better to watch it on TV rather than in person. Unless its The Mineshaft in Canberra. Then its awesome to watch pro rally drivers poo poo themselves in mid air in realtime!

It's a crying shame what's happened to the WRC recently. The UK's TV coverage of the Monte looked like this:

It was easier for me to watch the Daytona 24, which at least was broadcast and probably provided better racing too, than what should have been an awesome rally to watch. :sigh:

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.
Edit: NVM I am dumb.

StarcraftM fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 2, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's only Saturday.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
I think BBCA is running this season of top Gear starting Monday. I wonder what the edits will be like.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

burtonos posted:

I think BBCA is running this season of top Gear starting Monday. I wonder what the edits will be like.

lovely, as usual. Any word on what tomorrow's episode will be? I want to see their Nile River thing.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Foehammer007 posted:

lovely, as usual. Any word on what tomorrow's episode will be? I want to see their Nile River thing.

Link pretty much reveals all of the segments from tomorrow's Top Gear, so don't click if you don't want it spoiled.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/Exclusive-pics-from-this-week-filming-2013-01-31

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Not to be ridiculous, but is that license plate an anagram for Dick Envy?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Evanauto posted:

Not to be ridiculous, but is that license plate an anagram for Dick Envy?

It follows the normal GB plate format and it would need to at least have an N somewhere to make sense, so... no, probably not.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
:nms:

You know that road in Bolivia that they made a huge fuss about? Well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3XBWDlCtns

Holy gently caress that is a terrible way to die.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/horror-as-bus-plunges-off-road-of-death-170743

Why the gently caress didn't they get out of the bus and walk that 50m?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
The people standing on the road and trying to guide were the passengers I thought, so only the driver died?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Measly Twerp posted:

Why the gently caress didn't they get out of the bus and walk that 50m?

Assuming "they" is the passengers as nothing else makes sense, did you even read the link you posted? It specifically states "killing driver" and "It is thought he had unloaded his 50 passengers before attempting to negotiate the deadly road."

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Huh. Must have been a different bus I was reading about earlier, but basically 28 people in a bus died there.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That is awful about the drive but I'm sooooo relieved it wasn't full of people. Holy crap that was an awful video I wish I'd never watched.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Anyone know is there's a stream for tonights ep?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Jut posted:

Anyone know is there's a stream for tonights ep?

http://www.stream2watch.me/live-tv/bbc-2-live-stream Seems to work, terrible quality though

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hmm, I'd forgotten how fackin' ugly the LFA is.

Edit: I didn't know anywhere except Japan did musical roads.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 3, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
hahahaha, I love the "55mph" edits.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It's sort of amazing that Lexus' new design direction is based off the uglier LFA.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

What, you don't believe those cars top out at 55 at redline in 5th?

Unrelated, but I absolutely love the nav system in the LFA.

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.
Neat episode, not top stuff but pretty cool nonetheless. Also they're 2/2 this series on good SIARPC segments.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
That was such a great episode, I think this series is completely on the right track.

I'd probably have the Aston out of the three, simply I love that blue color with the black rims and the fact the LFA, even though much quicker, has such a small fuel tank, I just do not understand it!

The Viper would be fun for being a nut in though.

The SIARPC was also as good as they get.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The episode was good, but it seemed to be missing a little something. One thing I did notice was a lack of passion from the guys as they were describing the cars. Oh well, it was cool to see these three beauties in motion together, and the things they did with them were more amusing than your typical car show. I'm just wondering when we'll get to see Stig thrash the Viper:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I was quite disappointed. Western USA road trip and they don't drive CA-1? Why?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

fivre posted:

I was quite disappointed. Western USA road trip and they don't drive CA-1? Why?

Probably because they would need to block it off for half the day for film crews and whatnot. It is one thing to grab a scrap of the Blue Ridge, or some desert highway, another entirely to say "gently caress you, drive the 5", in terms of how the CA DOT feels about it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Slo-Tek posted:

Probably because they would need to block it off for half the day for film crews and whatnot. It is one thing to grab a scrap of the Blue Ridge, or some desert highway, another entirely to say "gently caress you, drive the 5", in terms of how the CA DOT feels about it.

Idunno, at least the northern section was pretty deserted when I drove it in the middle of the summer, and still quite beatiful and curvy and, special bonus for Top Gear, rated at 55mph basically the entire way! I did learn quickly that you can't drive that fast on much of it in a Sentra though. Grabbing some of it for half a day near Fort Bragg should have certainly been possible.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tekne posted:

The episode was good, but it seemed to be missing a little something. One thing I did notice was a lack of passion from the guys as they were describing the cars. Oh well, it was cool to see these three beauties in motion together, and the things they did with them were more amusing than your typical car show. I'm just wondering when we'll get to see Stig thrash the Viper:

Sweet Jesus look at those rear tires.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KozmoNaut posted:

Unrelated, but I absolutely love the nav system in the LFA.

What, you mean the one that tries to reduce driver distraction by involving a human who programs your nav for you over the phone, and then makes you invoke that feature by moving a mouse pointer?

That has got to be the dumbest UX "innovation" I've ever seen.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
cinematography-wise, that was one of their best looking episodes ever.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can someone who knows about cars explain to me why police pickup trucks can beat hundred thousand dollar supercars in a drag race?

I thought it was an ok episode. There wasn't anything great, but there wasn't anything really bad. I really like whenever they go to the US though.

Also they played the Saw music for a few seconds near the end for some reason.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 4, 2013

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

Can someone who knows about cars explain to me why police pickup trucks can beat hundred thousand dollar supercars in a drag race?

I thought it was an ok episode. There wasn't anything great, but there wasn't anything really bad. I really like whenever they go to the US though.

Also they played the Saw music for a few seconds near the end for some reason.

Those cars/trucks they were in are not standard issue. Those were all prepped for drag racing and highly modified (the truck had a parachute on the back of it).

BookaT
May 29, 2003

They kinda keyed on a very well known "Thing" in the US. Its pretty common/funny to see some guy in an upper tier (100K+) car show up to a drag strip and get spanked by the kid in a slightly modified honda/truck. Tires play a huge part in reaction times and ET.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Absolutely loved the whole episode. "26 laps into our 5 lap race...."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Data Graham posted:

What, you mean the one that tries to reduce driver distraction by involving a human who programs your nav for you over the phone, and then makes you invoke that feature by moving a mouse pointer?

That has got to be the dumbest UX "innovation" I've ever seen.

It was mostly the concierge functionality I liked, it's so completely over-the-top and fitting for a luxury car. The mouse pointer was idiotic.

CannonFodder posted:

Sweet Jesus look at those rear tires.

Largest tire footprint of any production car ever. 295 in front and 355 on the rears.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

BookaT posted:

They kinda keyed on a very well known "Thing" in the US. Its pretty common/funny to see some guy in an upper tier (100K+) car show up to a drag strip and get spanked by the kid in a slightly modified honda/truck. Tires play a huge part in reaction times and ET.

Also, nitrous oxide in the non-drag cars.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

grover posted:

I also like how everytime they're showing the car tach sweep, if you can partially see the speedo the car is accelerating from 30 or 40ish up to 55mph. Except once when it shows 70.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That was a pretty great episode I thought. And drawing an enormous cock and balls with a car will always be funny to me.

Jeremy with that fire extinguisher was good as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I also liked how the concierge was all like "Oh my! :allears: " rather than "Uhhhhhh... wut?"

Bet they get all kinds of winners calling in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The truck will have been specially set up for the strip - special tyres, suspension tuned for exactly that and nothing else, etc. Plus in a drag car it doesn't matter if you tune the engine within an inch of its life and have to rebuild it every 20 miles.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 4, 2013