Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kilersquirrel posted:

I'd argue with the "no adjustable wrenches," they're handy to keep around for things like odd-sized or grossly-oversized nuts that were added specifically to make you buy expensive manufacturer's tools.

I'm not saying I never used one, just that I regretted it every time I did. The one that's a hybrid with a vice-grips looks like it might be genuinely useful though
http://www.safetydirect.ie/2700/Locking-Adjustable-Wrench/product.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
That thing is great, I may have to pick one up soon. I agree you shouldn't rely on or use adjustable wrenches on any normal basis, but I'm not going to shell out for a crazy-expensive custom-sized wrench so I can loosen my fuel tank nut once or twice a year either.

Proper tools for proper jobs, but a Swiss Army knife is always handy to keep around too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
A ring spanner would have fit in there nice and easily, surely?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

What the gently caress this is amazing.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Kilersquirrel posted:

I'd argue with the "no adjustable wrenches," they're handy to keep around for things like odd-sized or grossly-oversized nuts that were added specifically to make you buy expensive manufacturer's tools.

I've never had anything but heartbreak when using an adjustable wrench. Always always use the proper tool. There is no such thing as 'one size fits all' when it comes to working on anything with an internal combustion engine in it.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

echomadman posted:

I'm not saying I never used one, just that I regretted it every time I did. The one that's a hybrid with a vice-grips looks like it might be genuinely useful though
http://www.safetydirect.ie/2700/Locking-Adjustable-Wrench/product.aspx
I got all excited about that until I found that it only just locks the adjustment screw, I had hoped it actually clamped down when locked.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I got all excited about that until I found that it only just locks the adjustment screw, I had hoped it actually clamped down when locked.
Are you sure? this japanese man seems to show that it locks the jaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzVBNq3uak

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MonkeyNutZ posted:

It does clamp down like vice grips. It's AWESOME. I bought a bunch when they dropped to $13 on Amazon then gave them out for Christmas.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I owned one (probably still have it somewhere), and the jaws clamp down a bit, but not as much as with a regular vice grip.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Well poo poo, I bought a regular crescent wrench last week based on the few reviews of that thing that said otherwise.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I got out of this without much tool investment, but it was a good reminder to have proper gear on hand. I've been getting by with a monkey-wrench, but a fixed socket/open metric wrench set is cheap and would be useful, ditto some Kroil and an impact screwdriver. might look into getting a set of crow's feet as well.

At this point the majority of my decent tools are metric...

http://2strokeworld.com/bikewiki/index.php?title=Tools

Read on man. It took me awhile and more than a couple simple projects made long and aggravating but these days I just buy the correct tool for the job.

Pick out some good sets and storage/transport and make an amazon wishlist. Get friends and family to help stock you up for whatever occasion. It makes everything so much easier to have the correct tool, and even better to not have to go chase for it mid-job.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Halo_4am posted:

http://2strokeworld.com/bikewiki/index.php?title=Tools

Read on man. It took me awhile and more than a couple simple projects made long and aggravating but these days I just buy the correct tool for the job.

Yeah, I need to finally just get around to stocking up on some Craftsman. For as much stuff as I'm removing on this bike, I think I'll finally need a torque wrench, and some kind of impact driver as mentioned above. I have a cordless drill, but will see if I can get by using my plug-in Dremel up in the apartment or whether I'll need a cordless.

Finally got rid of my pinholed leaking tank; after far too many dumbasses contacting me on Craigslist there was one dude who was actually reasonable and non-flakey, so came and picked it up tonight. Apparently he plans to clean up and strip the leaky tank, and use it as a canvas for practising bike painting. So I'm glad to see that even a leaky tank still has some utility to someone.

Now I have nothing left keeping me from cleaning the carbs.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've never had anything but heartbreak when using an adjustable wrench. Always always use the proper tool. There is no such thing as 'one size fits all' when it comes to working on anything with an internal combustion engine in it.

I've had relatively good luck, but then again I really only reserve mine for "wtf this isn't a real size" jobs or messed-up nuts/bolts that aren't going back in again. Which, on old UJMs, is an eventuality rather than a maybe. We're essentially on the same page, though. If I saw a friend using an adjustable on their axle nut, brakes, etc, I would probably have a minor stroke and politely school them on why they need to throw down on a decent mechanic's socket set.

That locking adjustable still rules though, and I plan on getting it next time I need to clear $25 for free shipping.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

I owned one (probably still have it somewhere), and the jaws clamp down a bit, but not as much as with a regular vice grip.

Well that's fine because presumably you only want it to clamp down from "just wide enough to fit over the bolt" to "clinging like gently caress to the bolt".

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kilersquirrel posted:

As a fellow owner of exclusively older Japanese bikes, I'm going to chime in and say get a set of the Grabbits or craftsman ez-outs, and a set of metal-oriented drills or step drills. They've come in enormously handy for me when dealing with the bottom-barrel pot metal screws the UJMs all have. Also, a set of Robogrip pliers for when nut heads deform and strip inside your wrenches.

I concur with all parts of this post. My oil drain plug is a 27mm. That is a very nonstandard size, but I have a metric adjustable wrench that fits it great. The drain plug rounded on two corners because the PO torqued it to about thirty foot-pounds (40 NM), but the subsequent two-dozen oil changes have all been with that crescent and haven't resulted in any more damage.

Also, TTFA: stop being such a crybaby about gasoline fumes. It's actually fairly tricky to blow yourself up with a gas tank, and a little (or whole hell of a lot) of gasoline on the ground isn't a dangerous thing for more than a few minutes. Be personable with your neighbors, and perhaps they won't immediately dial the police when they see you outside, regardless of whether you're working on your bike or not. In general, if you have a stuck and stripped screw, you can't make it "more broken." It's already useless and going to be replaced, so try whacking on it with a sharpish flathead screwdriver. They're usually pretty loose, and will come out easily. The worst you can do is slip with the screwdriver and break something you wanted to replace anyway.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

but I have a metric adjustable wrench that fits it great.

What's the difference between an metric and an imperial adjustable wrench?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

One's right (metric) and one's wrong (imperial).

On a serious note, I assume the only difference would be with the ones with size "locks" or notches, and the only difference there would be where they lock/where the notches are.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Or the scales beneath the jaws are in correct, logical and easy to use millimetres on one instead of some science hating ongo-bongo fractions. Like so.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Or the scales beneath the jaws are in correct, logical and easy to use millimetres on one instead of some science hating ongo-bongo fractions. Like so.

who uses those scales? the amount of slop in most adjustables makes them notional at best.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

echomadman posted:

What's the difference between an metric and an imperial adjustable wrench?

It's an old mechanic's joke. "Hand me the metric crescent" and "gimme the 3/4 channel-locks" are staple jokes where I work.

I did see a crescent wrench with metric marks on one side and imperial on the other, though. I was thinking of dropping $20 on it just to take to work for when that came up.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I live on a boat and bike is my only transport, so my tool set is extremely cut down for practical reasons. Generally, I don't buy large sets of tools, instead I buy the best individual tool I can afford as I need it. If you're of a similar mind/situation, I recommend the first thing you buy is a compact 1/4 drive mini socket set. Bikes tend to have much smaller fasteners than cars on the whole and a 1/4" set will easily handle the torques required. I have one that's smaller than your average paperback but it will do almost everything on my bike.

They don't make the one I have any more but it's a high quality kit like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teng-4-inch-Socket-Metric-Pieces/dp/B004UEHCMG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1359979400&sr=1-1-fkmr0

It will handle all but the heaviest jobs on a modern motorcycle and it will fit in a pouch or pocket. Add one of these too:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teng-M140022c-Extension-Square-Drive/dp/B0001P0WNO/ref=sr_1_30?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1359979272&sr=1-30

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well that's fine because presumably you only want it to clamp down from "just wide enough to fit over the bolt" to "clinging like gently caress to the bolt".

Exactly. It's perfect for what it was designed for, but it's less well suited for tasks like pulling apart .22 cartridges out of boredom than vice grips are.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
A question on slipper clutches - Why aren't they more popular?

My KTM came with one, and I've got to say it's pretty great. I've gotten so used to it that when I've ridden other bikes without one I can end up chirping the rear tyre on a downshift when I'm pushing it. They're available aftermarket for a whole lot of bikes, but I don't see much evidence of people fitting them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Because I enjoy engine braking? I can see their use for racing, but to me it seems like something else to break and make my bike behave unexpectedly on the road. It's all down to preference, I guess, and I have clutch and friction zone control down to an art.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ReelBigLizard posted:

A question on slipper clutches - Why aren't they more popular?

My KTM came with one, and I've got to say it's pretty great. I've gotten so used to it that when I've ridden other bikes without one I can end up chirping the rear tyre on a downshift when I'm pushing it. They're available aftermarket for a whole lot of bikes, but I don't see much evidence of people fitting them.

Because people don't realize how awesome they are, and for those of us that do, they're expensive as gently caress. I'd love to get one for my track bike, but I'm not going to drop nearly $1k on a clutch.

Geirskogul posted:

I don't realize how awesome slipper clutches are.
They don't prevent engine braking, they limit it, preventing wheel hop.
vv Or adjusted to limit at too low a back torque.

Zool fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 4, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The bike I was on must have had a lovely or broken slipper, then.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Do slipper clutches just limit the amount of braking force the engine can put to the wheels? It seems like they'd be less awesome if they slipped on acceleration as well as deceleration.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
They only limit back-torque from the wheel, they would be very not awesome if they worked in both directions. It's as though, at a certain back torque (determined by the clutch springs), the bike automatically feathers the clutch for you.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Speaking of using the right tools for the right job and how much lovely hardware sucks, I just replaced all of my fairing hardware with stainless steel hex head hardware. I can't tell you how much I hate flat-head screws and the fact that I needed 4 different tools to remove what are essentially all M5 and M6 bolts to get my fairings off.

Best $25 I ever spent on the bike and I'm selling it within the month! Enjoy the beauty of quality mounting hardware, next owner.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is there anything special needed when trying to find a tow company to tow a motorcycle?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Halo_4am posted:

The biekwiki says ez-outs/screw extractors are dumb, and to use reverse threaded drill bits instead. That make sense I guess, but I have had 100% success (5 for 5) with these Grabit Screw Extractors and a $20 electric drill I typically use on electric outlets and stuff just for convenience. If you don't want to wait on shipping I've seen those extractors carried by my local Lowes.

They're self centering and sized appropriately for step #1 which is drilling the hole for the extractor bit, and then flip around to actually extract. Firm pressure and low speed (which is the only speed my drill of choice for this has) and it shreds the screw up until it suddenly gets enough bite to grip and then bam, screw is removed. Where it can be cursed and whipped across the garage in a fit of anger and celebration.

As the owner of exclusively used cars and bikes. I seriously loving hate Phillips screws, and make a point of replacing them every single time I come across them.

:edit:
If this fails your only remaining option is to drill it out. Which always involves trashing the threads and often involves a bit of collateral damage. Be prepared to maybe have to get a new $60 part thanks to a Phillips screw if it comes down to this.

Don't know about those specialty two-stage screw extractors, but EZ-Outs and similar extractors blow goats. Instead, get some lefty drill bits for extracting bad bolts.

The problem with EZ Outs comes from the fact that they don't drill out the fastener and will snap. When they do, you will never get the broken EZOut piece of hardened steel from the bad bolt. With a lefty bit, you use the same mechanical approach - it bores into the bolt counterclockwise until the resistance to drilling < resistance at the threads. If the corrosion ends up defeating the drilling resistance - NBD since you will end up boring through the bolt and can move up a bit to rinse/repeat until either the bolt has been reduced to threads or it gives and spins out.

So if you have a stuck bolt that defies the Dremel+ flathead, vice-grips, etc. Go with a set of lefty bits, gently caress extractors. Also, pick up a decent set of metric taps and dies. Then you can tap new threads if you have to.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Phone posted:

Is there anything special needed when trying to find a tow company to tow a motorcycle?

Flatbed, that's about it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah my slipper clutch still provides a metric rear end-ton of engine braking, but at the point where the engine would lock (I think it's to do with compression?) it just feathers the clutch enough to stop it. Giving you maximum engine braking without unsettling the bike in the corner. Also if you add a dab of back brake at this point the rear will break loose and you can back it in like a boss.

Zool posted:

Because people don't realize how awesome they are, and for those of us that do, they're expensive as gently caress. I'd love to get one for my track bike, but I'm not going to drop nearly $1k on a clutch.

Thing is, most people don't think twice about spending more than that on a new exhaust system, I'd say it easily makes as much difference.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 4, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If, IF you have a buddy with a towing vehicle, renting a motorcycle trailer from uhaul is like $20/day plus pitiful mileage. Way cheaper than a tow truck if the mentioned towing vehicle is on hand.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

If, IF you have a buddy with a towing vehicle, renting a motorcycle trailer from uhaul is like $20/day plus pitiful mileage. Way cheaper than a tow truck if the mentioned towing vehicle is on hand.

$25 from Home Depot, and the trailer is much nicer (if you can find a Home Depot with trailers). That's how I move my bikes when I have to move my bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yeah my slipper clutch still provides a metric rear end-ton of engine braking, but at the point where the engine would lock (I think it's to do with compression?) it just feathers the clutch enough to stop it. Giving you maximum engine braking without unsettling the bike in the corner. Also if you add a dab of back brake at this point the rear will break loose and you can back it in like a boss.

Thing is, most people don't think twice about spending more than that on a new exhaust system, I'd say it easily makes as much difference.

Yeah the difference is that an exhaust sounds the same if you're Rossi or on your first ride. A slipper clutch actually requires knowing how to ride to be useful.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slipper clutches are awesome, and are mainly a safety feature for people who don't know or push a bike enough to use them as a performance feature.

I LOVE them but the $1000 to put one in a bike that didn't come with one always seems to go to tires or gas because with skill you can live without one and be fast as all hell.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ReelBigLizard posted:

I live on a boat and bike is my only transport

Surely boats can take you places? :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For getting stuck, mangled screws out, I have one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-reversible-impact-driver-set-93481.html

It's bailed me out a few times on the DT. Just set it to "out", put it on the screw, and tap it a couple times with a hammer. It's unstuck every screw I used it on. And if it breaks, I've already got my $4.99 out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I don't think my Buell uses any screws that aren't torx, but there's a bunch of mild steel fasteners though. A whole set of stainless steel fasteners is something like 80 bucks, which is okay by me, but I assume that if I go and change stuff like engine casing bolts I'll have to do the gaskets as well?

On my old Yamaha I was never able to get out the weird, huge-but-flat Philips screw that holds in the tach drive, it leaked but in the end I just put tie wraps around the cable until it sealed. Also, these fuckers (mine were brass or something)

were completely square after a couple of valve adjustments.