Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

RurouNNy posted:

And in other news, her brother is going to Westminster. I think he is a wicked handsome dog, but how do you get to Westminster at just 1.5 yrs old?

Who is her brother? Neige's father (Xtacee Dancin in the Moonlight, or "Freddy Mac") has been to the last 2 or 3, I can't remember how many. Never placed, so far as I know, lol. I think Pilot from C-Myste took Best of Breed last year. I met Pilot at the Seattle Kennel Club show a few years back and he is basically adorable.

EDIT Oh hey top of a new page, have a corgi enjoying the brand new snowfall from last night:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

ButWhatIf posted:

Who is her brother? Neige's father (Xtacee Dancin in the Moonlight, or "Freddy Mac") has been to the last 2 or 3, I can't remember how many. Never placed, so far as I know, lol. I think Pilot from C-Myste took Best of Breed last year. I met Pilot at the Seattle Kennel Club show a few years back and he is basically adorable.

EDIT Oh hey top of a new page, have a corgi enjoying the brand new snowfall from last night:

Her brother is Blacksheep Masterpiece Mystery (Porter). And Pfft, Pilot is like World Famous Mr. Cardigan himself :) You probably shouldn't have washed your hands if you pet him - celebrity power!

And Neige looks adorable in the snow :3: (Isn't that her namesake anyways?)

RurouNNy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 18, 2012

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

RurouNNy posted:

Her brother is Blacksheep Masterpiece Mystery (Porter). And Pfft, Pilot is like World Famous Mr. Cardigan himself :) You probably shouldn't have washed your hands if you pet him - celebrity power!

And Neige looks adorable in the snow :3: (Isn't that her namesake anyways?)

That is indeed her namesake! She loves it, and would stay outside forever if I let her, but I'm a wimp and my hands get numb and I make her be lame and boring indoors instead. And holy crap Porter is handsome! Doesn't look like Freddy Mac got an invite this year - not shocked, I think he was 5th out of 5 last year, haha. No Afara dogs either, but last I heard was that Paul Chen was slowly going into retirement and not actively showing or breeding any more because of his partner's health problems.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

thylacine posted:

All of those stones came from that poor dog's bladder. Be careful what you're feeding. She ate Nutro Natural Choice for 7 or 8 years, which might have caused it - or it might have been eating too many milkbones.

Did you have the stones analyzed? If so, what kind are they?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Maybe this isn't the best thread to ask, but how does a dog get recognized for Westminister? Is it by winning regional shows?

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Awesome Animals posted:

Maybe this isn't the best thread to ask, but how does a dog get recognized for Westminister? Is it by winning regional shows?

I honestly don't know much about "showin' dogs" - but here is what is listed for requirements by Westminster: http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2013/show/entry.html

I'll be interested in seeing the whole list of invitees when it gets posted.

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010
I'm all ramped up to go home and finally see my dogs after a month and a half so I thought I'd dump some old pics to keep me sane until Saturday. Enjoy!

This is Eva. She's crazy.

This is Gladys, my baby :3:. Fifth birthday. She is baffled!

She came along when I got my senior photos done a few years back.

Snow!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

Did you have the stones analyzed? If so, what kind are they?

No, we didn't have them analyzed.

She did get an infection though, she's at the vet yesterday and today. :(

I think I've convinced my parents to change her vet, the ones she goes to now kind of sucks.

Dawnsicle
Jan 2, 2011
Pretty Christmas dog! Leia has been sleeping under the tree almost every night with the presents

Please excuse the grainy iPhone photos!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

We had some friends over to watch a movie and I looked down to see this scene. Panda is never that calm around our cat Geoffrey.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012
We didn't get a Christmas tree this year 'cause I feared Guinness would do nothing, but eat the needles. Leia looks so adorable near the mountain of presents. :3:

Derp + Cone looks kinda funny.

Anyway, vet allowed to take it off since the bite holes were healed finally.
I think Guinness might start to hate me. As soon as he gets away from the nasty white cone of shame, I do this to him. :)

Other than that I have a question I hope someone can help with.
When the vet stitched him up couple weeks back, they shaved him around that area. Question is - how vary should I be of cold weather, since there's no fur to protect him cold winds and snow there? He shows no indications at all that he would be cold when we go crazy in the snow, but I'm still a bit worried. Added two pictures of the area.

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010
I looked over the edge of my bed just now and this is what I saw.

Eva. Eva what are you doing.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Hey corgi-lovers, keep an eye on The Daily Corgi tomorrow - you may see a familiar face!

This one!

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Awesome pictures and story about Neige!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

ButWhatIf posted:

Hey corgi-lovers, keep an eye on The Daily Corgi tomorrow - you may see a familiar face!

:3: That was a very sweet blog post. Neige in the bathtub was to cute!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

thylacine posted:

No, we didn't have them analyzed.

She did get an infection though, she's at the vet yesterday and today. :(

I think I've convinced my parents to change her vet, the ones she goes to now kind of sucks.

Depending on the type of stone they were, they could either be caused by the urinary infection (not related to food), overabundance of certain ingested chemicals (combination of food and genetic predisposition), pure genetic predisposition, or some other bodily process.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
So I'm late this year, but here is the result of Dexter & Dewey's starring role in our Christmas card. :)

Dewey acts terrified when we put clothes and poo poo on him, so he pretty much remains motionless and lets us put him in any position we want. He's the lil' fella on top.

One of us was manning the camera while the other was standing on the couch making babytalk noises and squeaking toys to get them to look in the same direction.

This is an outtake and it totally looks like we beat them behind the scenes.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Crunch Bucket posted:

So I'm late this year, but here is the result of Dexter & Dewey's starring role in our Christmas card. :)

Dewey acts terrified when we put clothes and poo poo on him, so he pretty much remains motionless and lets us put him in any position we want. He's the lil' fella on top.

One of us was manning the camera while the other was standing on the couch making babytalk noises and squeaking toys to get them to look in the same direction.

This is an outtake and it totally looks like we beat them behind the scenes.

They are so cute! I don't think I could get Orbit to tolerate a photo shoot like that.

I've noticed that he is really maturing. He'll be 2 in April and he's getting a lot more snuggly and calm and is starting to understand things like "fetch" and "go on a walk" and "tolerate us touching you" that he never really did before (that makes him sound like a terrible dog, but really he's just been headstrong and would very GRUDGINGLY go along with things instead of being mellow about it like now). My neighbor has a border collie who is 3 and she says he didn't get out of crazy puppy mode until he was 2. Have you guys noticed the same thing with your corgis? Is it a general herding dog thing to mature kind of slowly?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Plus_Infinity posted:

I've noticed that he is really maturing. He'll be 2 in April and he's getting a lot more snuggly and calm and is starting to understand things like "fetch" and "go on a walk" and "tolerate us touching you" that he never really did before (that makes him sound like a terrible dog, but really he's just been headstrong and would very GRUDGINGLY go along with things instead of being mellow about it like now). My neighbor has a border collie who is 3 and she says he didn't get out of crazy puppy mode until he was 2. Have you guys noticed the same thing with your corgis? Is it a general herding dog thing to mature kind of slowly?

Asa, my Vallhund (corgi-relative) hit this on her 3rd birthday this spring. She's really...not slowed down, but just less sped up? She's still got all her energy and whatnot, but she's less anxious about it. Its really quite nice actually :P

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Siochain posted:

Asa, my Vallhund (corgi-relative) hit this on her 3rd birthday this spring. She's really...not slowed down, but just less sped up? She's still got all her energy and whatnot, but she's less anxious about it. Its really quite nice actually :P

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it- he's less anxious than he used to be. He's still a scaredy-pup in a lot of ways, and probably always will be more worried about things than many other dogs, but he's less on-edge. When he was a puppy, he'd frustrate me every single day in one way or another. Then he got to the point where he only frustrated me sometimes. Now he hardly ever ever frustrates me, and on some days he makes me really proud. I'm hoping in another year or so he makes me proud most days!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Those pictures are amazing.

I'm hoping our Taziki chills out soon. She's very skittish, she's seem to have gotten even more skittish. We've been told around 5 they start to wind down a little.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Thanks. :) They are rascals.

Dexter (age 6) is a fairly high anxiety corgi. He has definitely mellowed out over the last year or so though. We are still trying to get him to bark less, but the boy just likes to bark.. at everything.

Dewey (age 2yrs and 9 months) is a much more chilled out dude, and has been ever since we got him when he was 8 weeks old. He has more energy than Dex and can run WAY faster (it's freaking hilarious to watch him leave Dexter in the dust) but he's not anxious at all. He also barely barks unless we're playing rowdy with him and he gets all excited.

They both picked up on verbal commands at young ages, but they were so drat stubborn about it. Like "Yeah, I understand you perfectly well, but I choose not to do what you ask. Deal with it." They are Pembrokes through and through in that regard.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Some fun neuro-science ahead:

Most dogs tend to "mellow" right around the age of 2, because that's when the forebrain becomes fully developed. That part of the brain is concerned with impulse control and being able to understand consequences, and in humans it's not fully developed (though it goes through a spurt around 10-11) until around the age of 24.

This is fascinating to me because it's kind of what both my husband and I do - I work with behavior in dogs, he works with inner-city high school students who often have serious impulse control problems.

A lot of dog owners report that their dogs just seem to wake up "different" around 2, so don't be surprised if suddenly your dogs become Mature Adults.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, Butters will be 3 years old in June and lately he's been much easier to handle. He can still go nuts if you let him but he's a lot better at understanding when it's time to be wild and when it's time to chill out. He was really well-behaved at my parents' place over the holidays apart from taking a long time to realize that their cats wanted absolutely nothing to do with him.

E: Yet he still does poo poo like this-

No, I couldn't get him to lay down on the actual car seat no matter how hard I tried. And it took him five minutes to get up there in the first place.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 25, 2013

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Panda has just hit the 6 month mark and now she's battling with some kind of allergy or immune deficiency that's causing a skin condition on her head, ears and face. The good thing is that she's not showing scabbing anymore but her little bald spots just don't look healthy. The Vet says that her skin is reacting to two kinds of bacteria that's everywhere but most dogs aren't affected by it.

Her behavior hasn't changed and she doesn't seem bothered by it but she doesn't like us to touch the bald spots and the Vet has instructed us not to take her to the dog park for awhile. We're not sure if her hair will grow back either. :smith: But, she's still adorable and is in good spirits. Hopefully we can overcome this thing. We're really worried that it could be Dermatomyositis.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

ButWhatIf posted:

Most dogs tend to "mellow" right around the age of 2, because that's when the forebrain becomes fully developed. That part of the brain is concerned with impulse control and being able to understand consequences, and in humans it's not fully developed (though it goes through a spurt around 10-11) until around the age of 24.

This is fascinating to me because it's kind of what both my husband and I do - I work with behavior in dogs, he works with inner-city high school students who often have serious impulse control problems.

A lot of dog owners report that their dogs just seem to wake up "different" around 2, so don't be surprised if suddenly your dogs become Mature Adults.

Oh cool! That would explain what is going on then. He's also herding the kids/ jumping up on me less which I guess is connected to this too. I'm excited that there may be another ~3 months of Cool Brain Development to go!

Orbit has also become King Of The Couch. He thought he couldn't jump up on it for the first year or so that we had him, and then one day while chasing the cat he magically got himself up on the couch and had a little Ah-Ha moment where he realized he COULD jump up. Since then, he loves sitting up there with me, and he's curled up on me as I type this. He steals my spot on the couch all the time if I get up, and I just have to tell him "Orbit, please move over" and somehow he knows exactly what I'm talking about and moves over onto the next cushion. He also gets really upset and whines at us if we take up the whole couch and there isn't room for him to sit with us, or if I'm sitting at another seat in the room when he thinks it should be Important Couch Snuggle Time. Of course, if I start to pet him, he'll get up and wander away, but as long as I ignore him, he'll be a snugglebug. What a weird and wonderful dog I have.

Break Fast
Mar 27, 2012

ButWhatIf posted:

This is great to hear. Guinness has definitely calmed down a notch gradually over his first year, but is still categorized under hyper-active dog category. Will see how he does approaching the second year.

Another question I have to ButWhatIf and everyone here in general, what are the things I could do to lessen my corgi's fear of big dogs? Ever since he got bit by a dog that's twice the size of him, every time he sees a dog that is bigger than him, he goes borderline insane bark-mode. Being bit obviously comes with a some degree of a psychological trauma and I understand that, but what could I do other than calming him down on those moments to make him more tolerant to the things he fears?

Note: In general, he doesn't appreciate of ANY dogs (other than the ones that he has known since his puppy days) with exception of maybe similar size to his female dogs, but he starts barking crazy only when coming upon big ones.
Note 2: He started to grow intolerant towards male dogs before the bite accident too, but there was never a distinct fear noticeable.

edit: King of The Couch. I like this. ^_^

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Break Fast posted:

This is great to hear. Guinness has definitely calmed down a notch gradually over his first year, but is still categorized under hyper-active dog category. Will see how he does approaching the second year.

Another question I have to ButWhatIf and everyone here in general, what are the things I could do to lessen my corgi's fear of big dogs? Ever since he got bit by a dog that's twice the size of him, every time he sees a dog that is bigger than him, he goes borderline insane bark-mode. Being bit obviously comes with a some degree of a psychological trauma and I understand that, but what could I do other than calming him down on those moments to make him more tolerant to the things he fears?

Note: In general, he doesn't appreciate of ANY dogs (other than the ones that he has known since his puppy days) with exception of maybe similar size to his female dogs, but he starts barking crazy only when coming upon big ones.
Note 2: He started to grow intolerant towards male dogs before the bite accident too, but there was never a distinct fear noticeable.

edit: King of The Couch. I like this. ^_^

1. Get thee to the Dog Training Thread wherein you will read about classical conditioning.
2. Get thee to a trainer who specializes in dog-dog reactivitiy and will help you employ classical conditioning and, perhaps, behaviour adjustment training
3. Keep a wide berth of strange dogs who may trigger a reaction from him. The more he practices this behaviour the more deeply ingrained it will be. Understand where his threshold is and always work near it, but don't push it.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Right around 2 is also when Ace really mellowed out. He's much less anxious in general and especially in situations where he used to be completely unmanageable (car rides used to be FREAK OUT TIME, and then suddenly now they're all "oh hey we're moving I guess this is ok") and he stopped the few random bad habits he had. Like eating our sheets and pillows off the bed when we're out. I was going through sheet sets every month because they all would have bite sized holes all over the place after a bit.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You don't play wack-a-mole with your corgi? Lucy loves trying to catch your hand when it's moving around under a sheet/blanket/whatever. BTW she's doing fine after her surgery/infection posted about earlier in this thread.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Okay Seattle-area Corg-goons, we've been trying to arrange a group meet-up (with varying levels of seriousness) for a year or so, and I for real think we ought to make it happen. It's hard to find playdates for Neige that correspond to her play style or that I know have good social skills, so I thought what better than Pet Islanders! We have several amazing off-leash parks we could use - Magnuson and Marymoor come to mind. Anyone want to offer opinions on location and dates?

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

Okay Seattle-area Corg-goons, we've been trying to arrange a group meet-up (with varying levels of seriousness) for a year or so, and I for real think we ought to make it happen. It's hard to find playdates for Neige that correspond to her play style or that I know have good social skills, so I thought what better than Pet Islanders! We have several amazing off-leash parks we could use - Magnuson and Marymoor come to mind. Anyone want to offer opinions on location and dates?

I'm down with either. We love Magnusson because Corwin always wants to swim. Husband and I are traveling Feb 2-8, March 4-18, and April 5-14 but otherwise can meet pretty much whenever.

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
We're up for whenever as well.

BTW - Anyone who's interested we'll be driving over to Marymoor tomorrow and roaming around 1 PM. If you want to join us just look for the crazy tiny talkative tricolored cardigan and the slightly larger chunky black and white lazy butt trying to scam pets out of anything that looks at him. If you're planning on showing up just post and we'll hang out at the entrance for a few extra minutes.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Tulenian posted:

We're up for whenever as well.

BTW - Anyone who's interested we'll be driving over to Marymoor tomorrow and roaming around 1 PM. If you want to join us just look for the crazy tiny talkative tricolored cardigan and the slightly larger chunky black and white lazy butt trying to scam pets out of anything that looks at him. If you're planning on showing up just post and we'll hang out at the entrance for a few extra minutes.

What the heck, Neige needs more Cardigans to play with, and if I recall correctly, Pip is also a fellow white-faced freak, so yeah, gonna make this happen! See you in Redmond!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

We took Panda to a dermatologist and they confirmed our suspicions that it is in fact Dermatomyositis. We had a biopsy done and it was sent off to the lab to confirm it but the doctor is pretty confident thats what we're dealing with so now she's on medication. Dermatomyositis is a genetic defect that causes a lack of blood flow to the extremities which causes lesions and scabbing. Panda's head and back legs have taken the most damage. Some of the spots won't recover but we're confident that it won't be a quality of life threatening issue like it can be with some breeds. She'll just look like she gets into a lot of bar fights.

She's doing great. After wearing the cone of shame for 2 days, we trust her not to scratch her stitches so she's back to her old self.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Such a pretty girl there. Hope that it isn't too severe. Is that common in Corgis? Yours is the first I've ever seen with it

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Meetup with Tulenian and her beastlets went well - Neige enjoyed jogging around them and playing follow-the-leader.

Pics!

Snaps meets a husky, Pip pees on a grass tuft.

Oh hey guys!

Pip! Also some really sweet boots.

Pip looking to grab Snaps' tail and be dragged along.

The two white-faces having a good sniff.

I'm realizing how much more fur Neige has than other Cardigans. How weird.

Cardi Party!

Found a Pembroke to chase!

Frolic! This was more or less the order of running: Snaps leading the way, Pip galumphing after, Neige on the outskirts behind.

Another Pembroke for chasing! Or stalking, in Pip's case.

Monochromatic palette here.

A good time was had by all!

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Such a pretty girl there. Hope that it isn't too severe. Is that common in Corgis? Yours is the first I've ever seen with it

It's more common in Collies and Shepherds but it's recognized in Pembrokes. I just hate how everywhere we go, people ask 'what's wrong with her?' or 'what happened?'. She doesn't care, she just wants to say hi because she's super outgoing.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

I Might Be Adam posted:

It's more common in Collies and Shepherds but it's recognized in Pembrokes. I just hate how everywhere we go, people ask 'what's wrong with her?' or 'what happened?'. She doesn't care, she just wants to say hi because she's super outgoing.

Does she have any of the associated muscle atrophy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

We think she may have stepped on something or stepped wrong recently and that is causing her to favor her right front leg and that's caused us to be paranoid but we noticed it a couple days ago and she doesn't always do it. Going to ask the specialist about that next time we talk. The specialist did say that in severe cases, it can affect the throat muscles making it difficult to swallow food/drink and that would be a quality of life change that we wouldn't want to see. We really hope that the cosmetic effects are as bad as it gets. I really don't want her to deal with muscle atrophy.

• Locked thread