Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

quote:

kept in a garage for 30 Years... ...I bought, but didn't mount, two new tires...

:stare:
He's been riding around on 30 year old tyres?

This one has just shown up on the local classifieds

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Hello motorbike goons, I wasn't sure whether to post here or in the question megathread, but whatever.

I've always been keen on getting a motorbike, but unfortunately I just kind of forgot about that ambition. Long story short, a friend has just upgraded from his old bike to a new Kawasaki Versys and is looking to sell. It's an Apache TVS 180-RTR with 11'000km on the clock, just over a year old, a full service history and in mint condition (no accidents or anything). Brand new tires as well.

His proposed price is around R12'000.00, which translates roughly to $1'300.00 or 850 pounds. Of course the vehicle market doesn't always correlate currency-wise, generally being more expensive here than overseas. In a rough guesstimation, does this seem like a fair deal?

Secondly, it seems like a good "beginners" bike to me? Any other tips going forward would also be appreciated.

Edit: I'd mostly use it for urban driving, not going on the highway unless necessary (top cruising speed is apparently around the speed-limit anyway), going to and from work and such.

Edit2: This bike retails new for around R18'000.00, so he's offering it secondhand for 60% of retail.

Prawned fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 25, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Not heard of that particular bike, I don't think they get out of India very often (if at all). Assuming it's been well kept and it doesn't need any immediate work like tyres or servicing then it seems like, from the numbers at least, it would be a decent bike for learning on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Coworker's wife T-boned a car last week and they're looking at selling it.

The deetz:
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
~6500 miles
Sub 20MPH hit
Body shop says no frame or fork damage
Looks like a good portion of the plastics are hosed up
No leaks

Never ridden a motorcycle, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Think fixing and riding is a good idea?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you can get it for cheap, absolutely.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I offered $250-300 and the counter is hovering around $500. Still a really good price for some hosed up plastics and headlight?

e: the bodyshop quote

e2: a pic

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 25, 2013

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Traaaaaaacccckkkk bike!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh yeah for 500 bucks that's a steal. Jump on it. Some quality time with some plastex or some cheap chinese fairings and you could have a very nice bike. The majority of that stuff is cosmetic, even using OEM parts you could get it up and running for under a grand total.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 25, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Or you could covert it naked and be a naked bike bro :thumbsup:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

Or you could covert it naked and be a naked bike bro :thumbsup:

This. Go naked, make the headlight and instruments not look retarded, throw a pair of frame slider on it, and have fun.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Guy says everything rotates, nothing leaks, but he doesn't have the key. Battery is also obviously toast. I'm suspicious that a CB400SS has survived on Craigslist for a day this close to NYC. What's something like this worth and if I went to look at it, what are the key points to check? Any way to bring my own battery / gas and hotwire it?

Also, I'm talking to another guy with an '08 DRZ-SM. Stock with 8000 miles. What's the going rate on these? (I know these bikes have zero to do with each other)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd want to check the oil and compression...it's probably going to be low on compression but if it at least has some (ie, can blow your finger off the plug hole), if the plugs aren't hosed, if the oil looks dark but not contaminated you should be ok.

Goign rate out here on a DRZ400SM is around 3500-4k. 3k if you find a really good deal.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Snowdens Secret posted:

Guy says everything rotates, nothing leaks, but he doesn't have the key. Battery is also obviously toast. I'm suspicious that a CB400SS has survived on Craigslist for a day this close to NYC. What's something like this worth and if I went to look at it, what are the key points to check? Any way to bring my own battery / gas and hotwire it?

Also, I'm talking to another guy with an '08 DRZ-SM. Stock with 8000 miles. What's the going rate on these? (I know these bikes have zero to do with each other)

any time you see a cb400f available I say loving go for it. I love the poo poo out of that bike.
I bought mine "running" for $300, but that was just lucky. It's easily worth way more than that.

People don't realize but there are fewer cb400's than there are sandcast CB750's.

Edit:
bring a battery jumper, you can easily bypass the key just unplug the ignition and... actually, just clip the wires coming from the ignition switch, strip the ends, and twist together the black and red then the brown and white/brown wires.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 25, 2013

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

n8r posted:

I'd imagine you've tried to go to a taller screen? Have you thought about going to a shorter screen?

I've tried:

-No screen
-Small fly screen
-Normal screen
-Giant barn door cee bailey screen.
-Offsetting all of the above to provide back pressure and avoid the formation of wind "eddies" at the top of the screen.
-The normal screen with both vertical and lateral extensions
-All of the above with flaps designed to eliminate wind buffeting coming off the fairing.

I've probably done at least 500 miles in 10 mile test runs trying to get the wind protection worked out and it's just not happening.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Sounds like the solution here is to get a more aerodynamic helmet, find some earplugs and HTFU.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Phone posted:

I offered $250-300 and the counter is hovering around $500. Still a really good price for some hosed up plastics and headlight?

e: the bodyshop quote

e2: a pic

Quick ebay search: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Injection-F...1561305&vxp=mtr

All held together with screws. You could easily figure this out yourself and have a nice motorbike.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3571044459.html

Ok, this looks amazing. Any reason why I shouldn't go see it tonight with cash in my pocket? $1000 even seems pretty reasonable for what it is.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah show up with 800 to wave around plus 100-200 in your pocket.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Z3n posted:

Yeah show up with 800 to wave around plus 100-200 in your pocket.

He emailed me last night saying the tach cable had loosened and he'd drop the price... Turns out he meant drop it by $150, but I didn't have any 50s. So I got the bike for $826. Thanks for the advice! It looks great and rode back on 580 just fine.

I'll post pics in the appropriate thread later.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That was a good find for that price compared to the other bikes you were looking at. Nice, waiting on the pics.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pham Nuwen posted:

He emailed me last night saying the tach cable had loosened and he'd drop the price... Turns out he meant drop it by $150, but I didn't have any 50s. So I got the bike for $826. Thanks for the advice! It looks great and rode back on 580 just fine.

I'll post pics in the appropriate thread later.

That's awesome. Missing my bike right now, so much :canada: (halfway through the off-season!)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I have a female friend about to take MSF, and I talked to her some about 250cc bikes (which she's keen on as a cautious beginner). I'd offered my opinion that fairings are at risk to get cracked and tanks dented on a first bike, and that a naked Ninja 250 (not that they make one) would probably be lower-hassle than a faired one.

Checked CL, and it turns out there's a guy with a 2009 Ninja 250 with the fairings stripped and tank dented. The price ($2000) is silly given that CL has 2008-2010 bikes with intact fairings for barely more than that, and 2012 models new are on closeout for $3300 at some local shop.

If it were more like $1300 would that be a possibility as a city-bike, or are there just too many red flags ("was laid down", "mileage is not correct, had to replace speed odometer", etc)? If the guy just dropped and dented the bike with no other severe damage (except the speedo somehow?) this would seem a good streetfighter candidate, but it does seem a little sketch.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/3513056737.html

EDIT: Is the headlamp full-on busted loose, or is the front pic just a bad angle?

Oddly enough, my Ninja 500 looks rather like this today, since I stripped all the fairings off as part of both an overall cleanup/maintenance and to prep for streetfightering. I'm keeping my side-fairings (though cleaned them and about to rattle-can black) but the front fairing was cracked and patched enough I just stripped the small parts and dumpstered it. Just like the above bike, I still have the lame-o panel/light "cage" up front of the forks. I'll eventually remove that and put on a bucket headlamp and aftermarket speedo/tachy, but in the short term leaving the cage there lets me keep it street legal while I work on the other bits. I bolted my left mirror to the cage, stock headlight and panel, and with some short-stem front blinkers zip-tied to the cage I should be fully kosher, if not classy.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 27, 2013

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I'd go for that bike, but that's just me. To me, the second picture makes the wheel look out of alignment. Maybe it's a weird picture, maybe it's just me, but it looks off. The mileage is also pretty weird. The laying it down doesn't seem too bad; to me, it looks like it was a low speed drop, maybe in a parking lot. However, I'd pass on it just from the price, weird mileage issue, and that the front tire looks like it isn't aligned. However, Yoshimura exhaust!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The solution to worries about the bike falling over is to buy an old bike that's already a little worn, not one that's explicitly been crashed and half-assedly streetfightered. People shouldn't be so freaked out about cracked or beat-up pieces anyway...the nice thing about motorcycles is that you can take them apart down to the ground and replace nearly anything on them indefinitely. With that bike you posted you're also getting the huge gamble that whatever the DSPO did to it isn't going to fall apart or blow up, which is something that a beginner really doesn't need to deal with.

Look for an older, intact one that fits your budget instead.

e: here's a much better choice in your area for $1600, took like 30 seconds of searching. It's the old style but there aren't a lot of differences unless you really need to have the new look http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/3538620879.html

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 27, 2013

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Should I do it?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3578133064.html

1996 Ducati M900 Monster - $3000 (san rafael)

'96 M900 runs flawlessly, well maintained and up to date on all services. I've owned it since Summer when I bought it private party at 24k miles. Service Maintenance done since I purchased:
24k miles: Full Service/Tune-up - oil & hydraulics flushed, valves adjusted, belts replaced and carbs cleaned. Michelin PR3s installed, steering head bearings replaced (All Balls) along with chain & sprockets (DID/Afam). Clutch just wore out so I installed a new one last week. Don't think there's anything else this bike could need. I've maintained it well and I'm moving on to something more passenger friendly so this is well prepped for a new owner. StainTune exhaust. This was a city bike prior to my ownership, hence the external corrosion on the motor and the footpeg brackets. Tank has some minor chipping to the paint in a couple spots but is completely dent and ding-free. I also installed heated grips last month. I have the seat cowl, original mirrors, owner's manual and service manual for the bike as well. Clean title in hand. Let me know if you have any questions, no trades and absolutely no lowball offers will be considered.

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

RIDE A NEW BIKE, BECAUSE MORE HORSEPOWER EQUALS SAFER THAN
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-TRIUMPH-STREET-TRIPLE-DAMAGE-REPAIRABLE-33BHP-RESTRICTED-/300853628821?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item460c460f95

Potential decent fixer-upper here. 2012 Street Triple, 3806 miles, been in an accident (33BHP restricted so it's not going to have been a smash), I'm going to take a look and if the forks are fine then I'll probably buy it and go for a repair.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You can see a couple marks on the stanchion in one of the pictures, can't tell if it's damage though.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
I interact with a lot of people at their homes due to my job. Today I saw an old guy puttering in his driveway with a for sale sign on his motorcycle, so I stopped to talk. He's moving to a retirement community down the road and they don't allow motorcycles. He said he's been trying to sell it for a few months. Its a 2001 Yamaha VStar 650, 18200 mi, seems to be in really good shape. He put on saddlebags, fork bag, windshield, battery tender, and aftermarket pipes. It fired right up cold and idled with no issues, no obvious leaks anywhere. He said he'd take $2200 for it, which sounds pretty reasonable to me. Anything I should look for? I'll see if I can get some pictures later, if they're needed.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You're looking for a cruiser as a first bike right? That sounds pretty much ideal. I don't think there are any specific issues to be aware of with it. You'll just want to look at normal wear and tear stuff, condition of the brake pads, fluids, tires, and air filter.

vwman18 posted:

I interact with a lot of people at their homes due to my job. Today I saw an old guy puttering in his driveway with a for sale sign on his motorcycle, so I stopped to talk. He's moving to a retirement community down the road and they don't allow motorcycles. He said he's been trying to sell it for a few months. Its a 2001 Yamaha VStar 650, 18200 mi, seems to be in really good shape. He put on saddlebags, fork bag, windshield, battery tender, and aftermarket pipes. It fired right up cold and idled with no issues, no obvious leaks anywhere. He said he'd take $2200 for it, which sounds pretty reasonable to me. Anything I should look for? I'll see if I can get some pictures later, if they're needed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

vwman18 posted:

If that's your style, I think it could be decent buy.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

vwman18 posted:

That seems like a good deal. I had a Honda Shadow 600 as my first bike, it was light enough to learn on and putter around town and make some interstate trips. I'd give it a shot. Any pictures?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I feel it's now time to get a second bike. I've been putting around my klr 685 for a year, and it's been a blast. I'm very comfortable with the bike and would like another bike that has more oomph. Probably a street bike, but maybe a sport tourer. So I was hoping you guys could give me a little advice. How big of a bike am I capable of? I'm looking at a 2004 CB919 Hornet on kijiji and wondering if it might be too big of a bike for me. I imagine it shouldn't be, but I have no idea what it's going to be like jumping on a bike with twice the horsepower.

As for what bike I'm looking at it. I love the streetfighter/naked look and I really dislike lots of fairings. And I prefer something that will have a more relaxed riding position, so nothing too sporty I guess? Also I'm 6'3" 210 lbs.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

never happy posted:

I feel it's now time to get a second bike. I've been putting around my klr 685 for a year, and it's been a blast. I'm very comfortable with the bike and would like another bike that has more oomph. Probably a street bike, but maybe a sport tourer. So I was hoping you guys could give me a little advice. How big of a bike am I capable of? I'm looking at a 2004 CB919 Hornet on kijiji and wondering if it might be too big of a bike for me. I imagine it shouldn't be, but I have no idea what it's going to be like jumping on a bike with twice the horsepower.

As for what bike I'm looking at it. I love the streetfighter/naked look and I really dislike lots of fairings. And I prefer something that will have a more relaxed riding position, so nothing too sporty I guess? Also I'm 6'3" 210 lbs.

That seems like a fine 2nd bike to me, if you feel comfortable on your current one. A twin's power delivery would perhaps be better suited for a second bike, though this isn't quite a supersport engine.

I also rode a big thumper for a year and then switched to a 100HP naked and it's never surprised me, though it's a two cylinder engine. I love this class of bike, somewhat sporty but still dang comfortable with normal handlebars, upright position, comfortable seats. If you want to go with something less powerful you could look at a naked SV650, low displacement Monster, Buell XB9s or Bandit 650. At the same ~100HP mark you've also got the Street Triple, Z750. Really all manufacturers have a bike like this.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You'll handle the switch fine, no problem. Your only worry will be which bike you get.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Of about four friends I have at the moment who want to learn to ride, three of them are even shorter than my 5'6", so I've been googling "X Model seat height" a lot these days.

I have a drinking buddy whose bike aspiration is to own a bike "like in all the 80s movies". After some further questioning, it turns out he means something like a dual sport, with the old Honda XR and XL series jumping out at him as just what he was thinking of.

Dude is like 5'5", so I dug into the online wisdom for small girls and Hobbit-esque guys, and came up with the Kawasaki KLX250 and KL250 Super Sherpa, Suzuki DR200, and Yamaha WR and XT 250s. I think I feel generally okay with identifying the shorter dual sport bikes which are good for short people and can keep up on non-Interstate highways (hold 55, pass 70, etc).

My question though: if he's not actually interested in the whole offroading side of things, but is just going to be all ironic 80s bike hipstery driving around the city, or occasionally some quieter arterials out to the suburbs, is a dual sport still a decent idea? Or is getting a dual sport as a 100% paved road bike a bit nonsensical?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Check out Cycle-Ergo.com. I plugged your friend in, and he'll fit just fine on a Super Sherpa (I'm lazy, too).

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Also, I dunno what year WR you're looking at, but I'm 6"2 and it took a tip-top to put my leg over, but I'm also a fatty, so once I sat on it my knees were bent :smug:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Super Sherpa, which I absolutely love:

WR250R, which looks way too tall:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

My question though: if he's not actually interested in the whole offroading side of things, but is just going to be all ironic 80s bike hipstery driving around the city, or occasionally some quieter arterials out to the suburbs, is a dual sport still a decent idea? Or is getting a dual sport as a 100% paved road bike a bit nonsensical?

I think dual sports make really good urban bikes. You can put more road-oriented tires on one and have a hell of a time hopping curbs and zipping around the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I don't think cycle-ergo is compensating for how much the suspension sags when you actually sit on an offroad bike. That being said at 5'5 he'll still probably have issues touching the ground comfortable on some of them. Lowering links exist for most/all dual sports that are common.