Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I asked for more themed decks of cards, besides what we already have.

I just like collecting decks of cards. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Sweet bro and Hella Jeff handgun.

Pentachronic Snail
Nov 2, 2011
I don't even remember what I suggested... It was one single thing but I remember it took me more than 10 words to describe...

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I asked for a lot of the stuff that has already been said. I also asked for troll stuff that won't be mistaken for a legitimate interest in astrology.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
I'd love to see Hussie post some of the stranger responses.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Bring back humanimals

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. Quick thought:
We've seen the Handmaiden, the Batterwitch, and now Jack with Lord English eyes, such that we can assume that rainbow eyes are a sign of LE enslavement. And Doc Scratch told Aradia's ancestor that the nature of the curse could only escaped by dying, which would pass on said curse. You know what else gets passed by dying? And are associated with enchantments? Jujus. And we just saw Lil' Cal, a juju, enslave Jack.

If the Batterwitch dies, I think we can expect that the first person to pick up her gear is going to be in trouble...

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Bobulus posted:

Huh. Quick thought:
We've seen the Handmaiden, the Batterwitch, and now Jack with Lord English eyes, such that we can assume that rainbow eyes are a sign of LE enslavement. And Doc Scratch told Aradia's ancestor that the nature of the curse could only escaped by dying, which would pass on said curse. You know what else gets passed by dying? And are associated with enchantments? Jujus. And we just saw Lil' Cal, a juju, enslave Jack.

If the Batterwitch dies, I think we can expect that the first person to pick up her gear is going to be in trouble...
It might not even have to do with gear, but just the act of killing. Condesce doesn't use Handmaid's wands, but she killed her and immediately became enlisted into Lord English's service as his new witch. Doc Scratch said how he (Lord English) offered her a team up, but lets be real here Condesce wasn't exactly given much of a choice. The universe was about to end within a few minutes, if she didn't join up she was going to be destroyed. It was less of a choice and more of a "be my witch or die, your call" sort of deal.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

mr. stefan posted:

Dude, I've actually kicked around the idea of homebrewing a FATE-based Sburb system. It'd be perfect for it, FATE is rules-light enough to be flexible and the Aspect/Refresh system would be perfect for titles and powers.

There was actually a thread in Traditional Games or something that was going to be just this. The GM barely did anything and the thread died.

I did a first entry and everything, too

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

McStephenson posted:

There was actually a thread in Traditional Games or something that was going to be just this. The GM barely did anything and the thread died.

I did a first entry and everything, too

I, too, know the feeling of abandoned and orphaned campaigns. Such is the life of play-by-post gamers everywhere. :smith::hf::smith:

Seriously, if anyone's interested, we could probably set up a google doc for brainstorming mechanics ideas and work from there. Dresden Files and Fate Core would be good starting points.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I still wonder how the Condesce even escaped from that universe. All in due time, I suppose.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bongo Bill posted:

I still wonder how the Condesce even escaped from that universe. All in due time, I suppose.

Probably did the same thing the trolls did, just sailed out through the Furthest Ring with the help of the Green Sun. It's pretty much how the Handmaid got there, I believe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Probably did the same thing the trolls did, just sailed out through the Furthest Ring with the help of the Green Sun. It's pretty much how the Handmaid got there, I believe.

She was inside of universe B2. We never saw her in the Medium. You can't leave a universe just by flying a spaceship.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'd like to see a hat with Dirk's icon on it. :colbert:

The hat would have to have a shirt icon, obviously.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

mr. stefan posted:

I, too, know the feeling of abandoned and orphaned campaigns. Such is the life of play-by-post gamers everywhere. :smith::hf::smith:

Seriously, if anyone's interested, we could probably set up a google doc for brainstorming mechanics ideas and work from there. Dresden Files and Fate Core would be good starting points.

Well, seeing as how I've been running a campaign for 6 months (we had a Scratch and everything) and just started up a new one about a week ago, I'd have some input on what does/doesn't work. I wonder if I should have gone with something like FATE or Fiasco, but I ended up with Burning Wheel because I liked how it handled skills and advancement. Of course, it's set in the middle ages, and has elves and dwarves and poo poo. Sigh.

But yeah, getting some people together to brainstorm would be nice. Dunno if I can really change much with my current group, seeing as how they've already made characters and junk, but maybe I could tweak some things.

Just send me a pm if you wanna get together sometime.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I don't have PMs, but the way I see it the Sburb mechanics are all designed to basically be something obnoxious until it gets broken by a lucky combination. That way Hussie can keep things slow to start with and then speed it up later once people get said combos. It also suffers a lot from the fact the players barely meet until hours, if not days into their campaign so you can't just do a traditional party setup without some contrivances to get them together. I think if you were to homebrew an actual system it'd have to be a very creative translation that keeps the core ideas, but kind of repackages them into something fun and/or usable without being absurd. Like if you had the Escheladder be an XP system rather than a level system because otherwise you'd have to level up so often that it'd just get tedious constantly stopping to assign new stat points or whatever.

BEEAARR!!
Nov 9, 2004

Someone got hit
in the boingloins!

Hit in the boingloins!
Boingloins! Boingloins!
Someone got hit in them!
I requested quest bed blankets/bed comforters. :colbert: Likely to happen? Proooobably not. Maybe the blankets.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
A SBURB pen and paper thing would be legit awesome. It'd basically force me to learn how to play those things.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bongo Bill posted:

She was inside of universe B2. We never saw her in the Medium. You can't leave a universe just by flying a spaceship.
A first guardian like Scratch, however, can go anywhere within his universe, and may have just teleported her to the edge of the Medium.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

JT Jag posted:

A first guardian like Scratch, however, can go anywhere within his universe, and may have just teleported her to the edge of the Medium.

Doc Scratch was never in the Medium either!

However, I think you're on to something here; First Guardians can be portals to the vicinity of the Green Sun, from which sessions can indeed be entered by just flying into them (if you can navigate the Furthest Ring - but then, she had some affinity with horrorterrors).

And then she came to earth via Skaia portal.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Bongo Bill posted:

However, I think you're on to something here; First Guardians can be portals to the vicinity of the Green Sun, from which sessions can indeed be entered by just flying into them (if you can navigate the Furthest Ring - but then, she had some affinity with horrorterrors).

Doc Scratch was born in the medium.
:goonsay:
I like this theory, though.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

My theory is that she ended up in the B1 session, realized where she was, and went through a Skaia portal, thus being split into two just like the babies. The one who was sent to B1 Earth lived the rest of her life as the ruler of a baked goods empire until she was obliterated by meteors.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm in the opposite camp of most people when it comes to Sburb's mechanics, mainly in that I feel like delving into the nitty-gritty of them would take away the magic of it. That maybe the explanations wouldn't be as nice as what some of us may imagine, or that they'd be more arbitrary and restrictive. That was in fact one of the reasons why Calliope annoyed me early on, since some of the extra information felt kind of less mythical and more formulaic, in terms of what class/aspect combinations did what. It felt less like something you could personalize and tailor very intricately to each person, if one were to make an RPG of it.

That, and saying you can't have a female Prince. :smith:

Filthy Haiku posted:

Sweet bro and Hella Jeff handgun.

I unironically want a sord..... made from styrofoam.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
If I was playing a Sburb based RPG I'd just break all the class gender rules and go for whatever the hell I wanted, but I really enjoy the class stuff and seeing how it relates to characters' personalities and poo poo.

Ariong posted:

My theory is that she ended up in the B1 session, realized where she was, and went through a Skaia portal, thus being split into two just like the babies. The one who was sent to B1 Earth lived the rest of her life as the ruler of a baked goods empire until she was obliterated by meteors.

The one on B1 Earth disappeared, according to Nannasprite's story.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Midnight Raider posted:

I think I'm in the opposite camp of most people when it comes to Sburb's mechanics, mainly in that I feel like delving into the nitty-gritty of them would take away the magic of it. That maybe the explanations wouldn't be as nice as what some of us may imagine, or that they'd be more arbitrary and restrictive. That was in fact one of the reasons why Calliope annoyed me early on, since some of the extra information felt kind of less mythical and more formulaic, in terms of what class/aspect combinations did what. It felt less like something you could personalize and tailor very intricately to each person, if one were to make an RPG of it.

It's loving DnD, you garbage! Restrictive? Make it less restrictive, poo poo-for-Brains! gently caress! Female Prince? Well, gently caress, new house rule! Women can be Princes now. Jesus loving Christ Almighty, are you too much of a human pile of gently caress to let your amazing imagination run wild? You can make The Artist Formerly Known As Prince into a character, then make him a girl, and then make her a Prince! God, that's such a great idea. You're a genius. I love you, you worthless gently caress. Have a wonderful day.

:sbahj:

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Midnight Raider posted:

I concur, but I also think that part of the thing of it is, is that while ostensibly appearing to be a set of rules which work well for a narrative and allowing all sorts of neat thematic links, it is also left deliberately vague so that Hussie can do what he likes with it. On top of that, there is that fact that every single session we've seen in Homestuck has been broken or damaged in some way, both through player action or because the session had an inherent fault. There's no reason to believe that the rules wouldn't be subject to the same bending. i.e. Although, technically there may be an iron clad set of rules governing class, aspect, levels and so on, there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't take a crowbar to them whenever it made things more interesting. if Hussie ever did publish a certified, cannon set of rules of mechanics, no doubt he would also publish a certified, cannon disclaimer that all rules can be canonically broken.

In a somewhat related diversion, one of the things I really enjoy about the Homestuck experience is how Hussie plays with the ideas of what it means to make something 'cannon'. Can something really be declared to be cannon if it was never stated in cannon in the first place? Of course Hussie can say, for example that a certain event or pairing is cannon, but if it is never referenced in the text, in cannon, can it really be said to be true? Someone who has never heard Hussies statement of cannonicity would have no idea.

J K Rowling stated that Dumbledore being gay was cannon, but really, was he? That certainly could be one reading of the book, but really, there is nothing explecit or even terribly implicit in the book to suggest that that is really the case, and if it's not really part of the story, what does it add?

Hussie is pretty good at walking the line here, and it just adds another level of meta to the whole thing when you take in to account his 'declarations' on certain cannon subjects. He's very good at somehow being able to simultaneous delight and infuriate a certain portion of his fanbase.

Ultimately, it should be the readers take on events that inform how they see the story, and Hussie knows that. That's not to say the author cant have their own input and guide the reader in certain directions.

Did that make sense? It made sense to me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Um, it's spelled "canon".

I would be interested in a SBURB codex/rpg thing as well, mostly because I am pretty :spergin: when it comes to this stuff.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

krakagar posted:

I concur, but I also think that part of the thing of it is, is that while ostensibly appearing to be a set of rules which work well for a narrative and allowing all sorts of neat thematic links, it is also left deliberately vague so that Hussie can do what he likes with it. On top of that, there is that fact that every single session we've seen in Homestuck has been broken or damaged in some way, both through player action or because the session had an inherent fault. There's no reason to believe that the rules wouldn't be subject to the same bending. i.e. Although, technically there may be an iron clad set of rules governing class, aspect, levels and so on, there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't take a crowbar to them whenever it made things more interesting. if Hussie ever did publish a certified, cannon set of rules of mechanics, no doubt he would also publish a certified, cannon disclaimer that all rules can be canonically broken.

In a somewhat related diversion, one of the things I really enjoy about the Homestuck experience is how Hussie plays with the ideas of what it means to make something 'cannon'. Can something really be declared to be cannon if it was never stated in cannon in the first place? Of course Hussie can say, for example that a certain event or pairing is cannon, but if it is never referenced in the text, in cannon, can it really be said to be true? Someone who has never heard Hussies statement of cannonicity would have no idea.

J K Rowling stated that Dumbledore being gay was cannon, but really, was he? That certainly could be one reading of the book, but really, there is nothing explecit or even terribly implicit in the book to suggest that that is really the case, and if it's not really part of the story, what does it add?

Hussie is pretty good at walking the line here, and it just adds another level of meta to the whole thing when you take in to account his 'declarations' on certain cannon subjects. He's very good at somehow being able to simultaneous delight and infuriate a certain portion of his fanbase.

Ultimately, it should be the readers take on events that inform how they see the story, and Hussie knows that. That's not to say the author cant have their own input and guide the reader in certain directions.

Did that make sense? It made sense to me.

You're either misspelling the word "canon", which is understandable, or the word "cannons", which makes your post much ore action-packed.

"Take your rules and put them in cannons :black101:

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Pyradox posted:

I don't have PMs, but the way I see it the Sburb mechanics are all designed to basically be something obnoxious until it gets broken by a lucky combination. That way Hussie can keep things slow to start with and then speed it up later once people get said combos. It also suffers a lot from the fact the players barely meet until hours, if not days into their campaign so you can't just do a traditional party setup without some contrivances to get them together. I think if you were to homebrew an actual system it'd have to be a very creative translation that keeps the core ideas, but kind of repackages them into something fun and/or usable without being absurd. Like if you had the Escheladder be an XP system rather than a level system because otherwise you'd have to level up so often that it'd just get tedious constantly stopping to assign new stat points or whatever.

The fact that players rarely, if ever, meet up isn't actually as big a problem as you'd think - you basically have four (or six or whatever) simultaneous adventures going on. Sometimes characters meet up and join together for awhile, sometimes they go it alone. The trick is to make the planet interesting enough for them to busy themselves with. It's... actually pretty tough to do, but my thinking is that the planets (leading up to the denizen) are designed to teach the player how to be their class. So if we have a Seer of Doom, or Witch of Breath, or Bard of Blood or something - first you, as the gm, need to figure out what that means, and then convey that to the player through cryptic quest bullshit. And if you have some sort of over-arching plot and mythical role for each character, then all the better (usually the bigger meta stuff I save for the denizens).

So far we've just played fast-and-loose with the systems we've been using. GURPS was useful but entirely too clunky. Burning Wheel seems much more streamlined, but terribly restrictive in scope, thus they both requires a huge amount of tinkering, usually on-the-fly.

It can be exhausting!

Oh, another strength of a SBURB RPG: it's pretty much tailor-made for online play. All you really need is some sort of chat client, mIRC or AIM or something, for the players to input their commands and a gm to output the results. I'm actually not really sure how such a system would work in person, honestly (and I've never tried that, all my games have been online).

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I like the way the gamey aspects of Sburb interact with it's mythicness it's kind of a running theme in the comics how there's all this terrible mythological stuff but if you peel it back it's all within the framework of a game, the same as any number of other sessions. Reminds me of how actual video games work.

Starmaker posted:

Oh, another strength of a SBURB RPG: it's pretty much tailor-made for online play. All you really need is some sort of chat client, mIRC or AIM or something, for the players to input their commands and a gm to output the results. I'm actually not really sure how such a system would work in person, honestly (and I've never tried that, all my games have been online).

I can definitely see it working much better asynchronously if you're going to do that - an in person session could easily get boring without the party setup.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Obviously a SBURB rpg would require everyone to have Pesterchum so that they can constantly bombard each other with asinine bullshit. Gotta get those pesterlogs.

e: it would also be one of those things where things would turn out best if everyone had some artistic talent, just to illustrate their batshit alchemistry and lands and stuff.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 5, 2013

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

You fuckers are basically describing Trollslum and unironically saying it's a good idea.

"O, that way madness lies"
- Fred Astaire

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

HappyKitty posted:

You fuckers are basically describing Trollslum and unironically saying it's a good idea.

"O, that way madness lies"
- Fred Astaire

It is a narrow and treacherous path, attempting to reach the golden mean of not-terrible OCs.

I justify it by saying that ours has a lot more math involved.

But that Fred Astaire, he was truly a wise man. We would do well to heed his warning. Yes, I'm certain it was him who said that.

(Also no trolls. Good lord, no trolls)

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 5, 2013

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
At this rate we might as well all get some Tumblr accounts, maybe some headmates, and then all be awful forever while shipping our OCs.

Moving on to topics of discussion less likely to turn out in disaster, i really hope Hussie uses Stress in a flash at some point. It's great + it would work really well.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Pyradox posted:

I can definitely see it working much better asynchronously if you're going to do that - an in person session could easily get boring without the party setup.

The key is to fill all downtime with inane banter and lots of jokes in the true Homestuck style.

Glad to see you are still at it Starmaker, I enjoyed our game a lot, even if the story didn't really get anywhere and combat took like an hour.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm telling you people, if you want a sburb RPG then FATE is the way to go. It's the system of the month over in tradgames and there's a great thread pinned giving a quick rundown of the core rules and concepts.

Basically the rundown is that every character has a set of aspects, a list of skills, and a certain number of fate points. So, a character's class could be an aspect and they could invoke it when necessary (e.g. Dave Strider has the aspect "Knight of Time" and his player could spend a fate point to invoke this for a bonus when using a relevant skill, such as Weird Time Bullshit or a combat roll.). You can cover the rest of the bases by importing and reskinning power rules from the Dresden Files RPG, which uses fate as a base.

The great thing is that FATE is rules light, so you can add in granularity as you feel necessary.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Problem with a sburb rog is that time travel is impossible to implement especially in the manner its used in the comic. Also, the characters do not work as a party, they are each on their own world for most of the game, which also sucks to run as a game. Probably best to play a similar game with young characters and just port over what ideas and mechanics are actually workable.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Problem with a sburb rog is that time travel is impossible to implement especially in the manner its used in the comic. Also, the characters do not work as a party, they are each on their own world for most of the game, which also sucks to run as a game. Probably best to play a similar game with young characters and just port over what ideas and mechanics are actually workable.
There was this one game, Continuum, in the TGD Obscure and lovely Games thread that attempted to make time travel-based combat a workable thing. It was... less than accessible. More "I travel back to 1976 and buy that ring your mom had before she can" to try and cause time paradoxes and less "Seven additional Daves appear from various points along the timeline and help me beat the tar out of you."

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 5, 2013

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
This double panel update poo poo is really annoying to read, almost as annoying as the whole trickster section, or having to highlight to read all of the white text. At some point it would be cool if Hussie stopped hating his readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Seoinin posted:

"Seven additional Daves appear from various points along the timeline and help me beat the tar out of you."

It actually makes me sad this isn't that workable of a mechanic because, as a GM, I'd love to remind (or... not remind) players that they have to go back in time and fight that loving monster again to maintain a stable time loop and avoid shunting their entire party off to a doomed reality.