Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Still no word on my bundle :/ Really want to start this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Slate Action posted:

Amazon, if you're not going to fulfill my preorder on schedule, just let me know. Enough with the silent treatment.

Amazon is not going to get the preorder out any time soon. I think they're only sending you updates when it gets to the day it was originally scheduled to arrive. In my case that was today, so I got an e-mail informing me of the delay this morning. If you guys have it scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday, you'll be e-mailed tomorrow.

They really just don't have any available copies right now for whatever reason, so if you don't want to wait an indefinite period of time for them to get them in, now's the time to cut your losses and go the e-shop route.

Gamewise, I just got really excited once I got Donny since training up early pathetic units to become gods is my favorite thing to do.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Come watch Chrom and My Unit solo entire chapters on Lunatic while the rest of the army looks on from beyond the grave in total awe.

http://www.twitch.tv/roguelike

Don't be like me! Remember to level your units.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Iron Rose posted:

Aiight! Finally got the 3DS bundle in the mail and it looks spectacular!

Still haven't decided anything when it comes to pairings, but meh.

Who'd you order from?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For people asking about grinding, can you not access the Marth DLC yet? That's a pretty easy map to grind, and you get 2-4 treasures every replay.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Who'd you order from?

Best Buy, of all people. Never ordered from them before, but it turned out alright.

Went with +skill/-defense for my avatar, because I'm not playing on Lunatic and I like having an Avatar that can do both physical and magical attacks.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

The Iron Rose posted:

Aiight! Finally got the 3DS bundle in the mail and it looks spectacular!

Still haven't decided anything when it comes to pairings, but meh.

gently caress yoouuuuuuu :qq:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Regy Rusty posted:

Amazon is not going to get the preorder out any time soon. I think they're only sending you updates when it gets to the day it was originally scheduled to arrive. In my case that was today, so I got an e-mail informing me of the delay this morning. If you guys have it scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday, you'll be e-mailed tomorrow.

They really just don't have any available copies right now for whatever reason, so if you don't want to wait an indefinite period of time for them to get them in, now's the time to cut your losses and go the e-shop route.

Gamewise, I just got really excited once I got Donny since training up early pathetic units to become gods is my favorite thing to do.

This is where I'm screwed. I have it pre-ordered with Amazon and used a 25 dollar gift card to offset the cost. If I could buy points from Amazon, this would be a non issue but otherwise, I'm stuck waiting. Dammit, Amazon.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

404GoonNotFound posted:

gently caress yoouuuuuuu :qq:

If it's any consolation, I didn't get the art book, despite it being listed. Which is unfortunate, but oh well.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

theshim posted:

I'm honestly not sure who I'm pairing anyone with anymore! The more I play, the more I'm loving every character and every interaction. About the only one I've landed on is avoiding Donnel/Sully (and I'm not even so sure on that one) and I think I'm going Chrom/Sumia, but beyond that I'm just having a hell of a time building up supports and seeing who's best together.

Echoing this, I'm a huge fan of all the characters (except Miriel) . One of my favourite things in awakening is that they no longer limit C-B-A supports, and collecting them all is just really fun.

Add to that, I am loving the fact that all the second generation kids look to be amazing characters (except Laurent, jesus) and I haven't even touched their supports yet :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite part of the second-gen characters is them inheriting their father's hair color. It's a minor thing but it's still a really nice touch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

My favorite part of the second-gen characters is them inheriting their father's hair color. It's a minor thing but it's still a really nice touch.

I actually had a funny glitch where the sprite for one of my Avatar's kids was blond (like him) but the hair color was red (like her mother).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Endorph posted:

That is reason #1 why I am going Donnel/Liz (besides giving Owain the most insane gains ever).

Anyway, this whole Galeforce thing is really making me rethink wanting to go Sully/Chrom over Sumia/Chrom. All this stats chat and I don't even have the game yet :suicide:

ImpAtom posted:

I actually had a funny glitch where the sprite for one of my Avatar's kids was blond (like him) but the hair color was red (like her mother).

Morgan always inherits hair color from the non-Avatar parent. It's the one exception to the rule.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Galeforce is cool and all, but not really needed unless you're playing Lunatic. At least, that's what I'm feeling so far on Chapter 15 (most of my guys are either early Tier 2 and the Kids are nearing 30's in their stats.)

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Tae posted:

Galeforce is cool and all, but not really needed unless you're playing Lunatic. At least, that's what I'm feeling so far on Chapter 15 (most of my guys are either early Tier 2 and the Kids are nearing 30's in their stats.)

Well the other part is having Cynthia as That Person's sister sounds hilarious.

But on the other hand... SULLY :black101:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of second gen characters, I decided to take a step back from Chapter 17 and play some of the Paralogues, which was going well until Paralogue 9. Cynthia keeps dying after attacking Chrom (which is the same reason I couldn't recruit the only enlistable Thief in the game, either). I've reset the game five times now, each time hoping it won't happen again. No dice.

I'm still enjoying the game but the honeymoon is definitely over.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/Oh. Er, that makes sense. Thank you.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 5, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So... bait her out with a unit that won't kill her on the counterattack? You can just check her range and move to the very edge of it, then have Chrom waiting just outside her range to recruit her when she attacks. Same with the other guy you killed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So is a Manakete with Ignis and other goodies as bullshit and glorious as I'm imagining?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

lelandjs posted:

Speaking of second gen characters, I decided to take a step back from Chapter 17 and play some of the Paralogues, which was going well until Paralogue 9. Cynthia keeps attacking Chrom and dying as a result (which is the same reason I couldn't recruit the only enlistable Thief in the game, either). I've reset the game five times now, each time hoping it won't happen again.

I'm still enjoying the game but the honeymoon is definitely over.

Stick Chrom on a flier and fly his rear end over to her. Should be able to make it, iirc.

edit: aww man you killed Gaius :smith:.

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 5, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

RuBisCO posted:

aww man you killed Gaius :smith:.

Now Sumia will be alone forever :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also Gaius isn't the only enlistable thief. Quite a big chunk of characters can reclass into thief, and Anna starts out as a Trickster. Which is a Thief promotion, meaning she can pick locks just like one.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Sully. :allears:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every time I play this game on a sane difficulty I always end up having to ditch half of my starting army for the children because they're all so much cooler than their parents. That's not even counting that this time around I redecided on my parental army from stratch based on who turned out well while grinding for S supports.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

404GoonNotFound posted:

Now Sumia will be alone forever :negative:

I'll have you know that she is very happily married to Chrom and kicks all kinds of rear end when paired with him. :colbert:

Endorph posted:

Also Gaius isn't the only enlistable thief. Quite a big chunk of characters can reclass into thief, and Anna starts out as a Trickster. Which is a Thief promotion, meaning she can pick locks just like one.

Oh gently caress me. I didn't even notice that. Instead, I tried reclassing Henry as a thief, which has gone about as well as you'd think it would.

This is what happens when i intentionally go into videogames blind.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Oh thank goodness. I'll give that a try... after I get out of my current predicament, which is that I battle saved during Paralogue 9. After I moved my Chrom/Sumia team to be in Cynthia's range. And she attacks them. Every. Single. Time.

I'm gonna try some drastic strategies but I might have to give up on Cynthia.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 5, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lelandjs posted:

Oh gently caress me. I didn't even notice that. Instead, I tried reclassing Henry as a thief, which has gone about as well as you'd think it would.

This is what happens when i intentionally go into videogames blind.
Lockpicking is a skill in this game, (Locktouch!) meaning that if Henry has it now you could reclass him back to a dark mage and he'd still have it. I'm pretty sure Locktouch works the same as every other skill in this game, anyway.

Just save before you re-reclass him and check to see if he has the skill after you do. If he does, great, you now have a magethief like you're playing FEGirls.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is great, Sully is great, Fire Emblem is great.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Endorph posted:

Lockpicking is a skill in this game, (Locktouch!) meaning that if Henry has it now you could reclass him back to a dark mage and he'd still have it. I'm pretty sure Locktouch works the same as every other skill in this game, anyway.

Just save before you re-reclass him and check to see if he has the skill after you do. If he does, great, you now have a magethief like you're playing FEGirls.

Locktouch stays, just like every other skill. There are three skills that only function in specific classes, but A) they say so in the text and B) they're all for specific characters (one for the manaketes, one for the taguels, and one for a couple DLC/Spotpass dark mages).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's come up a bunch, but I'm still not super clear on when the best time to promote Donny is.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This is wonderful and thank you for posting it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Edoraz posted:

Awesome things!

Sully. :allears:

Best FE! Best characters! Best comic! :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

It's come up a bunch, but I'm still not super clear on when the best time to promote Donny is.
Reclass him at level 15, after he gets weak beat strong from the villager class. Then you can promote him as a Fighter/Mercenary at level 10 if you want, since his stats will be so sky-high.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

If you don't care about Weak Strong, you can reclass him to Mercenary and then go from there until he caps out (he WILL cap out way before level 20).

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

Squidder posted:

Hay Best Buy preorder peeps, check store availability! It's starting to trickle in; I just got off the phone with them to change my pickup location since it wasn't available at my original store but they DO have it at several other ones in the area.

Here's hoping my next post in this thread is about actually playing!

I bought mine from Bestbuy last night. Here is something I can suggest. For mine they didn't have it out on the sales floor yet, so I checked availability online through my sell phone. It said my location had copies on hand. I showed this to a employee and he said he would run to the back and grab me a copy. A couple of minutes later I was out the door. For preorder this might be moot point as I am not sure how they do those exactly.

Edit: Also this is my first Fire Emblem, on Normal Classic and I love it to loving death.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TurnipFritter posted:

As soon as possible, honestly. Underdog is kind of terrible and so is Villager. He's much better off in a better class with Aptitude.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Here's one thing I really hate: when one of my units is awesome enough to kill a bunch of dudes, but doesn't have enough HP/Def/Res to do it over and over. So the first enemy in range comes up to attack him/her, dies, leaving the spot open for the next enemy to attack until eventually my unit dies to attrition.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

teknologik posted:

Edit: Also this is my first Fire Emblem, on Normal Classic and I love it to loving death.

I'm on Hard Classic. I'm on chapter 4 and I've restarted over 15 times. Other than the fact that I'm awful at Fire Emblem, I've also discovered that I'm really bad at basic math.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RoboCicero posted:

I'm on Hard Classic. I'm on chapter 4 and I've restarted over 15 times. Other than the fact that I'm awful at Fire Emblem, I've also discovered that I'm really bad at basic math.

Your math is fine, it's just that each Fire Emblem cartridge comes equipped with the ability to bend the laws of probability and statistics so that each enemy's 28% chance to hit with 2% chance to crit actually becomes a 100% to hit with 100% to crit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Really glad I went with casual on hard mode, it's saved me a lot of hair pulling and stressing out over random probabilities always being in the opponents favor and ridiculously stupid damage kicking my rear end. That's not to say the game has been easy, but thankfully it's saving me a lot of stress and giving me more leeway to work with how I want to build my characters.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I'm honestly considering cutting my second class tomorrow to see if TRU or Best Buy got any bundles in.

This is the face of gaming addiction :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
By the way, for those curious: They fixed the Battle Saves from Radiant Dawn if you happen to be playing on Casual. RNG is locked in, so you can't keep reloading until you get a favorable draw. You have to actually use the RNs.

Wonder whether the old GBA tricks to burn RNs still exist. I'd hope they fixed those too.

• Locked thread