Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Ugh, every time I see Chris Pine on screen all I can think of is how much I'd rather see Bruce Greenwood's character headlining this.

That makes two of us. Badass Captain Pike deserves more, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

McSpanky posted:

That makes two of us. Badass Captain Pike deserves more, dammit.

BEEP

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
It didn't make sense to my why the Enterprise would be dropping instead of gliding but then I remembered that all of the vats of mash and hops in Engineering would make it much less aerodynamic in an atmosphere.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cheesus posted:

It didn't make sense to my why the Enterprise would be dropping instead of gliding

Also, you know, those shots seem to show it starting from above the atmosphere, where there is no air to make gliding a thing?

Once it hit the atmosphere at that trajectory, it would probably be more likely to start flipping and spiraling rather than any sort of gliding.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 4, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

thexerox123 posted:

Also, you know, those shots seem to show it starting from above the atmosphere, where there is no air to make gliding a thing?

Once it hit the atmosphere at that trajectory, it would probably be more likely to start flipping and spiraling rather than any sort of gliding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkCpnGMyGw

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I hope this means that Spock is going to be in a fatsuit for the first half of the movie.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Haha, well done.

I mean you're Captain Pike, sure you got injured but why didn't he ever go, "Nice job, freshly graduated Ensign Kirk. I am sure you'll have a bright future ahead of you someday, you've validated my confidence in you. I'd like my ship back now, please, report to the onboard brewery for duty."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Star Fleet has a very strict no take backs policy on acting field promotions. Once you give someone a ship, it's theirs until they screw up and accidentally let someone else have it. Just ask former acting captain Spock.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jesus you guys read the Starfleet field manual once in your lives. Section 47 clearly states "If you save the loving Earth from imminent destruction you can have whatever loving ship you want. Least we can do."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Starfleet bureaucracy is so immense and incestuous, a brevet rank could take three decades to be formally approved at the fleet headquarters. So you may as well just let that dude be Captain until he fucks up, he's still technically an Ensign after all and you can smack him down with it later.

Legend tells of an old Constitution-refit in active service during the Dominion War with the old burgundy jackets, the office console on Earth with their decommission information having exploded after a tragic incident, the orders to stand down never sent. Yet every other department reads the USS Dutchman as retired. But they're out there. Boldly going.

Forever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You forget that Star Fleet is an organization that made Janeway admiral. Nothing makes sense there.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

bobkatt013 posted:

You forget that Star Fleet is an organization that made Janeway admiral. Nothing makes sense there.

Well, presumably since Captain Janeway filed a report saying she'd encountered Admiral Janeway from the future they decided it would be best to just stick her behind a desk and hope she'd do less damage than the temporal paradox if they didn't.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Umbra Dubium posted:

Well, presumably since Captain Janeway filed a report saying she'd encountered Admiral Janeway from the future they decided it would be best to just stick her behind a desk and hope she'd do less damage than the temporal paradox if they didn't.

She would be an unstable element in a critical situation.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Janeway may have been reckless and erratic for an Admiral position, but at least she wasn't infested by evil space parasites.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

Janeway may have been reckless and erratic for an Admiral position, but at least she wasn't infested by evil space parasites.

I would have love to see Picard and Riker cause Janeways head to blow up.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

bobkatt013 posted:

Well all the good captains want to keep being captain and apparently they can keep being captain if they want. So that only leaves the lovely captains to be promoted to admiral. Think of all the times that Starfleet made terrible decisions: it was almost always an admiral's fault.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
It's pretty obvious what happened.

Future Spock basically told them "Give this guy the ship. No, seriously, trust me on this one. I'm from the FUTURE!" and Starfleet was like who the gently caress are we to say no? This guy pretty much knows all the major poo poo that's going to go down for the next hundred years.

So they promote Pike to Admiral to stop him from becoming an invalid down the line and throw the keys to Kirk because what else are you gonna do? You just lost about a third of your fleet and most of your incoming command-level Academy graduates with it. He as his rag-tag team of young guns saved the planet, why mess with the magic?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

Well all the good captains want to keep being captain and apparently they can keep being captain if they want. So that only leaves the lovely captains to be promoted to admiral. Think of all the times that Starfleet made terrible decisions: it was almost always an admiral's fault.

This makes a distressing amount of sense.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Yeah, I think the only decent Admiral who showed up in more than one episode was Ross.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

ComposerGuy posted:

Future Spock basically told them "Give this guy the ship. No, seriously, trust me on this one. I'm from the FUTURE!" and Starfleet was like who the gently caress are we to say no? This guy pretty much knows all the major poo poo that's going to go down for the next hundred years.

I never really considered this angle, but it makes all sorts of sense.

The Dark One posted:

Yeah, I think the only decent Admiral who showed up in more than one episode was Ross.

Yeah, Ross was a great character and the only admiral we ever get to see that is worth a drat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

And even he worked with Section 31. But overall he was the most competent/least corrupt by a wide margin.

I guess Admiral Forrest from Enterprise wasn't that terrible either, now that I think about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

And even he worked with Section 31. But overall he was the most competent/least corrupt by a wide margin.

I guess Admiral Forrest from Enterprise wasn't that terrible either, now that I think about it.

Admiral Kirk :colbert:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

bobkatt013 posted:

Admiral Kirk :colbert:
"ADMIRAL Kirk?!? Admiral Kirk..."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Payndz posted:

"ADMIRAL Kirk?!? Admiral Kirk..."

This goes through my head every time I see the words "Admiral Kirk" too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kirk was an Admiral in the sense that an Elephant Seal is an Elephant. He had the title, but no one really thought of him as an Admiral.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I love the notion that an elephant seal is a regular seal that has earned a title.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kirk wasn't corrupt enough to be an Admiral, so they knocked him back to Captain.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kirk wasn't corrupt enough to be an Admiral, so they knocked him back to Captain.

He knocked himself back to captain by going awol.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I've never thought about it before, but Starfleet really did have a horrible command staff. How did they not lose the Dominion war?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

I've never thought about it before, but Starfleet really did have a horrible command staff. How did they not lose the Dominion war?

The Sisko

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

To be fair that was kind of cheating.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

Well we never saw much of what Picard and Co. were doing during that time, did we?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well we never saw much of what Picard and Co. were doing during that time, did we?

Yes we did. It was called Insurrection

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
In most militaries you find in periods of peace the command staff is mostly made up of people who are good at politics rather than having any skill at command and tend to get replaced rather quickly when hostilities break out. It is probably a coincidence / result of narrative requirements but it is interesting the only Admiral who seemed competent came to the fore during a major conflict.

As for Janeway though I always assumed she was promoted away from command of a ship to behind a desk where she'd be much less dangerous and given ego stroking but largely empty authority.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Why does everyone hate Janeway so much?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get which of the two threads to choose for what discussions now. This thread is currently discussing Voyager, the TV/IV thread's Nemesis ...

Does anybody else also find that the TOS movies seem a lot more real than the TNG movies, JJTrek or any of the series? They seem so ... believable. It starts with TMP having a certain 2001 vibe throughout (and I'm talking about the subtle details on the D7 cruiser and how real Starfleet headquarters at San Fran seem, not about the trippy alien), and if you look at Undiscovered Country, the whole thing, it's just so very ... grounded. The first scene looks as if you can touch the bridge.
Every other Trek suffers from comparatively lacking special effects and/or cartoon space monsters.

v works with me, I guess. Only, my own question was, without me noticing, about both the movies and the series ...
At least we can keep Star Wars talk out of here :)

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 6, 2013

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
This thread is for the JJ Abrams movies and I guess the other ones, too. The other thread is for TV talk.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Hilarion posted:

Why does everyone hate Janeway so much?

I actually really like Janeway, mainly due to Kate Mulgrew, but she is definitely more erratic and prone to wildly bizarre decisions than the other main captains. Part of that is because the writers disagreed with the actress on what direction to take the character.

More on topic: Did they ever consider doing a DS9 or Voyager film? Or a Star Trek film not tied to one of the television series?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lord Krangdar posted:

I actually realy like Janeway, mainly due to Kate Mulgrew, but she is definitely more erratic and prone to wildly bizarre decisions than the other main captains. Part of that is because the writers disagreed with the actress on what direction to take the character.

More on topic: Did they ever consider doing a DS9 or Voyager film? Or a Star Trek film not tied to one of the television series?
There was a rumor at one point of them doing an animated film set like 50-100 years after the end of Voyager, where the Federation is in shambles, but it doesn't seem like that ever got off the drawing board. I don't remember whether that was before the Abrams films or not.

I can't honestly recall anyone suggesting DS9, VOY, or ENT films. None of those shows were as popular as TNG, and TNG films were made until ENT's run, so it probably wasn't necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cingulate posted:

The first scene looks as if you can touch the bridge.
Every other Trek suffers from comparatively lacking special effects and/or cartoon space monsters.

Is it lighting? I think maybe the later movies suffer more from 'movie lighting' and less trying to replicate the look of something functional. I think you've hit on something though.

• Locked thread