Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Stultus Maximus posted:

Every time I'm on an amphib half the Marines greet me with "OORAH SIR". I much prefer the barely-mumbled "good morning" or better yet, avoiding eye contact that sailors do.

I have never heard anyone but the biggest boots on the planet greet an officer by saying "oohrah sir!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I want to stab everybody that calls doors hatches.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Veins McGee posted:

I have never heard anyone but the biggest boots on the planet greet an officer by saying "oohrah sir!"

I suspect they do it to gently caress with the Navy officers.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Stultus Maximus posted:

I suspect they do it to gently caress with the Navy officers.

Yeah, we used to do it to gently caress with AF officers at Edwards.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Veins McGee posted:

I would regularly do that to my shift officer multiple times per day. Neither one of us were Marines.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Veins McGee posted:

Deck, bulkhead, ladderwell, head, hatch, aye, overhead, port, starboard, aft, gaff, ladderwell, field day

:chiefsay: GEDUNK, SCUTTLEBUTT, SKYLARKING!!! KEEP YOUR DICKSKINNERS OFF OF MY BRIGHTWORK, SHIPMATE!!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Do sailors seriously say Shipmate? Not trying to talk poo poo, because hoo-ah and stuff like that are just as gay.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

Mike-o posted:

Do sailors seriously say Shipmate? Not trying to talk poo poo, because hoo-ah and stuff like that are just as gay.

e6 and below say it ironically to mock the navy

e7 and above mean it, especially if they see you doing something ur not supposed to be doing and don't know you/can't see ur nametape

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Cool things to shout at dumb Joes.
Hey airborne!
Hey high speed!
Come here turbo!
HEY WARRIOR!
I GUESS WE DONT *thing we are supposed to do*
SINCE WHEN DOES A PRIVATE
Oh so I guess nowadays a PFC can tell an E5 what to do. (said by a fat NG E5 when a PFC relayed a message from the 1SG)

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Beria posted:

e7 and above mean it, especially if they see you doing something ur not supposed to be doing and don't know you/can't see ur nametape

HEY HIGHSPEED/SHIPMATE/DEBBADAWG!!!!

Does the air force even have anything?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

HEY HIGHSPEED/SHIPMATE/DEBBADAWG!!!!

Does the air force even have anything?

"Warrior"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Gotta make air quotes for it to work

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sky :airquote:warrior, because sailors are sea :airquote:warriors. You don't want to get your :airquote:warriors mixed up.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's "Warrior Airmen" dipshits.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Beria posted:

Overheard in the hallway (sorry, p-way) of a training command:

New student O-1, trying to get the attention of an enlisted sailor: "Hey, shipmate!"

Instructor O-3, sticking his head out of his office: "Did she just 'shipmate' someone? Holy poo poo."

[mentorship ensues]

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
SHIPmating... like a chief.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Overheard in the hallway (sorry, p-way) of a training command:

New student O-1, trying to get the attention of an enlisted sailor: "Hey, shipmate!"

Instructor O-3, sticking his head out of his office: "Did she just 'shipmate' someone? Holy poo poo."

[mentorship ensues]

Truth. "Shipmate" when said by E-7 or above sounds just like "dirtbag."

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Truth. "Shipmate" when said by E-7 or above sounds just like "dirtbag."

I had a great group of guys working for me at my last command and I used to shipmate them on a regular basis just to gently caress with them. The ballsier ones used to fire right back first chance they got. It was p. awesome. One of those little things that made my last tour semi-bearable.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I used to constantly do it to people I worked with. I'd throw in the most ridiculous nuke/navy poo poo ever to make it even more diggity.

"Shipmate, you need to shim in."
"Shipmate, what would Admiral Rickover think?"
"Shipmate, you need to shut your throttles"
"Shipmate, you're going to let chief down if he finds out. We can't let chief down, remember!!"
"Bravo zulu, shipmate! Remember to put this on your brag sheet!!"

I would do it to students sometimes but they'd never get that I was loving with them. I've had students add me on facebook after graduating that were completely floored that I did not, in fact, love the navy and say a prayer to Nimitz every night before turning to in my rack hooyah.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

KetTarma posted:

"Shipmate, what would Admiral Rickover think?"

gently caress. You.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

There used to be a lone marine in the solder shop. Shipmating marines = the best.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

grumplestiltzkin posted:

gently caress. You.

I loled for real at this post.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Godholio posted:

It's "Warrior Airmen" dipshits.

The Navy has had Airmen longer than the Air Force. :colbert:

I think.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The AF as a separate service, obviously. But the Army had flyers 2 years before the Navy.

Also the Navy is dumb and calls them aviators (why is a female pilot in the Navy not called an aviatrix?) and something about shoes.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

The AF as a separate service, obviously. But the Army had flyers 2 years before the Navy.

Also the Navy is dumb and calls them aviators (why is a female pilot in the Navy not called an aviatrix?) and something about shoes.

He was actually referring to our E-3s in aviation rates who are called Airmen vice Seamen. :colbert:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah nobody else can keep track of all those names. If I'm ever in the situation where I need to address one I'll just call him shipmate or popeye or something.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Capital N, capital A.

Also something something Wings of Gold.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I never went on a ship, so any Navy guys I ever encountered were called "Buildingmate"

I'd like to point out that someone else in GiP gave me this idea!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

'sup, cubemate.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Godholio posted:

Yeah nobody else can keep track of all those names. If I'm ever in the situation where I need to address one I'll just call him shipmate or popeye or something.

I once called back a patient as Petty Officer First Class and he was all like, "Actually, it's HM2 :smug:" or something like that. The Navy has the most horrible rank system and insignias, followed very closely by the Marines who actively camoflague their ranks against their uniforms. What the hell?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

GoGoGadget posted:

followed very closely by the Marines who actively camoflague their ranks against their uniforms. What the hell?

Which can result in:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

grumplestiltzkin posted:

gently caress. You.

What's wrong proto-pal?

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
While it probably originated from the ward room, the Chief's mess adopted a "let's use Sea Warrior instead of Shipmate" policy. That's when I started dropping "shipmate" everywhere like I had Tourettes and using it as a bookend to every sentence that came out of my mouth.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

iyaayas01 posted:

Which can result in:

This is exactly how I feel at night when I see a random-rear end Army SPC, because all of the army wear their ranks on their hats and I figure this guy is a Lite Colonel until I'm right up on him and he's looking at me like i'm a fuckhead

why can't everyone adopt the air force ranking system, enlisted on the arms, officers on the necks?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

How about we just stop saluting like we're loving knights in the middle ages?

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

No Butt Stuff posted:

How about we just stop saluting like we're loving knights in the middle ages?

nah, its TRADITION

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DrCuntmuffins posted:

nah, its TRADITION

Yeah why do you hate America? :D

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Some West Pointer once told me that, according to the regs, if you're walking up next to a superior officer going the same direction and want to pass him, you have to say "by your leave, Sir" and wait for him to say "carry on" or some poo poo before you actually pass him.

I've never, ever, ever done that. If an LT tried that on me, I'd probably trip him.

Crazy Legs
Nov 6, 2010

Martello posted:

Some West Pointer once told me that, according to the regs, if you're walking up next to a superior officer going the same direction and want to pass him, you have to say "by your leave, Sir" and wait for him to say "carry on" or some poo poo before you actually pass him.

I've never, ever, ever done that. If an LT tried that on me, I'd probably trip him.

That is the most gay-rear end poo poo I've heard. What is this, loving Game of Thrones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Martello posted:

Yeah, they told us that in ROTC but the few times it happened the reaction was more "wha?"