Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
So I've had a rabbit for a few months now (his name is Cocoa but gently caress that name I call him bun-bun), and his behavior's gotten a little weird. He can tell when I approach his cage, he enjoys attention, but he's very inconsistent about being petted. Sometimes he'll let me pet him (usually while he's distracted with food), but after a while he'll run around and that's all he'll do: run around. Is it normal for rabbits to just want me to chase them endlessly? Also he's recently gotten this tendency to lick my arm for a bit, then try to mount and proceed to hump it if I let him (I usually don't and tease him by moving my arm around too much for him to get good grip.) Will he grow out of this humping poo poo as he gets older or will this behavior continue until he's neutered? I'd rather not have to pay money to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

NTT posted:

So I've had a rabbit for a few months now (his name is Cocoa but gently caress that name I call him bun-bun), and his behavior's gotten a little weird. He can tell when I approach his cage, he enjoys attention, but he's very inconsistent about being petted. Sometimes he'll let me pet him (usually while he's distracted with food), but after a while he'll run around and that's all he'll do: run around. Is it normal for rabbits to just want me to chase them endlessly? Also he's recently gotten this tendency to lick my arm for a bit, then try to mount and proceed to hump it if I let him (I usually don't and tease him by moving my arm around too much for him to get good grip.) Will he grow out of this humping poo poo as he gets older or will this behavior continue until he's neutered? I'd rather not have to pay money to do that.

Get him neutered. Seriously. There's absolutely no excuse not to do so if you have the money to pay for keeping a rabbit. He'll be better behaved, more friendly and will have a much longer lifespan. The humping is normal and it will stop when he gets neutered.

And yes, rabbits wanting to be chased is completely normal - that's how they play.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man Harriet loves the chase game. She will go to the point of headbutting my foot to.get me to chase her

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Ours do the "Bunny 500" where they just run in laps around the couch until they get distracted by something to destroy, then they go back to running around the couch. When they were younger they would haul rear end, binkying and flipping around like lunatics. They are a bit more reserved now that they are getting old, but they still love to romp about.

Their new thing when they are in their cage is the to stand on opposite sides of the hutch, stare at each other for a bit, then run right at each other and smash their heads together and then keep running to the opposite side. Then turn around and do it again. This goes on for hours.

Sascha, the one who passed last year, would just watch them do this and if they got close bite the gently caress out of them. What a sweet bunny.

grack posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, lagomorphs. Very similar, though.

Also, lagamorphs are nothing like rodents.

Especially given that one is omnivorous and can be predatory and the other is a herbivorous cecotrope and totally a prey animal.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 7, 2013

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ours do the "Bunny 500" where they just run in laps around the couch until they get distracted by something to destroy, then they go back to running around the couch. When they were younger they would haul rear end, binkying and flipping around like lunatics. They are a bit more reserved now that they are getting old, but they still love to romp about.

Their new thing when they are in their cage is the to stand on opposite sides of the hutch, stare at each other for a bit, then run right at each other and smash their heads together and then keep running to the opposite side. Then turn around and do it again. This goes on for hours.

Sascha, the one who passed last year, would just watch them do this and if they got close bite the gently caress out of them. What a sweet bunny.

Especially given that one is omnivorous and can be predatory and the other is a herbivorous cecotrope and totally a prey animal.

I think when people say bunnies and rodents are alike, they're just thinking of guinea pigs. Pigs and buns are remarkably alike in terms of care.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have to say I'm sometimes guilty of referring to Juppo as an overgrown rat when she's just pissed on my bed/eaten the books I ordered for uni that I failed to secure/attack my friends. Wouldn't be without her, though. I'm kinda down today and she's cheering me up by being back to her old self after her op :) Jumped right up onto the bed when I called her and is chilling on a clean blanket my Mum bought her now

fake edit: and probably peeing too

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, I'm going on vacation and leaving Harriet in the loving care of my roomates for a week. This sucks.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Sucks, mate. I felt same when I had to leave mine for a week, spent the entire time worrying even though I know it's kind of daft and I'd left them with care instructions a mile long.

Edit: She wound up fine though, and my housemate went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure she was ok :) So did my missus, even though she hates my rabbit. Made sure to save her left over rabbit-approved veg from when she cooked and everything. Try to chill and not let it ruin your holiday :)

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 8, 2013

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I'm going on vacation and leaving Harriet in the loving care of my roomates for a week. This sucks.

We left ours in the care of my parents once. My Dad didnt secure the cage well enough and the fat one opened it and let the others out. Then he called me at 3 in the morning saying he had chased them for 2 hours and couldnt catch them.

I asked if he had read the escape protocols I left him. He hadnt. After shaking the box of raisins to get their attention and dumping a few in their bowl they all ran right back in and began feasting on treats.

He was pretty upset about the whole thing.

On the cute side of things out youngest white one had made a nest in a closet and kept tryign to go back there.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Not sure if fate hates me, or loves me and wants me to have one more night wiht my bun. Big loving snowstorm cancelled all flights here

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Its a sign. Do not leave the buns!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I only have one bun. Who is adorable.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I swear my rabbit just beamed thoughts into my mind.

"I don't like you, but I love whatever the hell you're trying to eat."

Then she ripped the bowl out of my hand and my macaroni soup went EVERYWHERE ugh.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 16, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Elton Bun!

Bunnies are super theraputic and help you when you feel bad! I agree! Harriet has been lovely for me while I was battling Cancer.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Where are the Hana Dammit rabbit gifs???

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 16, 2017

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

That is 1 x Awesome Bun.

I wouldn't worry about the name too much, you'll probably just end up calling him bunbunbunbunbun. That's how it worked out for ours.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Mine are "get off the couch assholes".

Sooooo are you... keeping him next to a drum kit?

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 16, 2017

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Two syllable names are easiest to recognize if you want to try and teach them to come when you call their name. Preferably one where the emphasis lies on the first syllable. Not a lot of rabbits can learn it but just in case this one can, I'd keep it simple.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Colonel Fluffybutt van der Bunny III

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Sinbad

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

CHURCHILL!!!

Or Winston if you want to be casual.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

This one

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I knew that rabbit looked familiar.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Errant Gin Monks posted:

CHURCHILL!!!

:love:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Errant Gin Monks posted:

CHURCHILL!!!

The name of a spoiled, pampered, yet sassy and lovable bastard. It's pretty perfect.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Winston "Winnie" Bunchill it is!!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Hana Dammit posted:

nah that area just also happens to be my cymbal storage area, rest of my kit is at our practice space. my room is literally 10'x10' so pretty much any available space is utilized. lol I also have a bass, guitar, and two synths in here right now. its a miracle of house tetris.

I'm ever so happy for you. Please do use capitalization - I'll tolerate it until I have a bad day, but other parts of the forums will probate you for it on sight.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Winston seems perfect, haha.

Juppo is doing well, a week after her spay. She's still peeing on her bed-towel but not as much and she seems a bit more obedient. Just ran across the room and jumped up onto a beer crate and then my laptop as soon as I said her name (I said obedient, not careful), and whenever I say 'Oi' she'll stop eating/destroying whatever, look innocent, and scamper off. Finding it a lot easier to get her to go to bed on a night too. So yeah, we're both happy. Best hundred or so quid I've spent in a while. She's currently pancaked out on the bed eating dandelion forage.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I took in a foster rabbit from the humane society, I figured I have a lot of time and patience with little fluffy morons, this would be a nice humanitarian thing. :)

Good thing I put down a tarp for him to run around in the X-pen. First thing he did was poop a little, nothing too bad. Then he must have caught a whiff of my two female (spayed) rabbits. And he periscoped up, looked into the adjoining room where he could maybe see them, and just sprayed my legs down with pee. :D

Oh thats right, he just got neutered a week ago. Rabbits!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Oh, so that's how you charge up a bunny for use.

Pretty sweet hutch, by the way.

edit: The look on his face says "help...me...."

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Will most shelters do a sort of rabbit bonding thing or...? I'm looking to get a friend for Juppo when I buy a house in the next few months and she is, to be frank, pretty evil, so I wouldn't want to just pick up any old bun from a shelter just to have her go mad, but I definitely want a shelter bun.

edit: I'm doing her a disservice, she's adorable and lovely but I think she'd have a hard time adapting to another bun in her life. I just want to get a friend for her as I can't guarantee my free time after I graduate.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 16, 2017

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Dat flop

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

wanna rub dat bun

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Ella, I made you a fresh browse bag with orchard hay, popcorn, pumpkin seeds, and marshmallow. You have no problem crunching on it at 4am. WHY do you keep raiding the garbage for a three day old styrofoam coffee cup that didn't even have milk or sugar in it? You're not suffering for things to do, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

happyflurple posted:

Will most shelters do a sort of rabbit bonding thing or...? I'm looking to get a friend for Juppo when I buy a house in the next few months and she is, to be frank, pretty evil, so I wouldn't want to just pick up any old bun from a shelter just to have her go mad, but I definitely want a shelter bun.

edit: I'm doing her a disservice, she's adorable and lovely but I think she'd have a hard time adapting to another bun in her life. I just want to get a friend for her as I can't guarantee my free time after I graduate.

I would assume (based on a couple websites) that they do bunny dates, where you can bring in your rabbit and let them check out another rabbit. Not all shelters are the same, but I'm sure if you called over and told them about your situation they could help you out. It can be tough bonding rabbits, but once they are together, they are stupid happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Lobsterboy posted:

I would assume (based on a couple websites) that they do bunny dates, where you can bring in your rabbit and let them check out another rabbit. Not all shelters are the same, but I'm sure if you called over and told them about your situation they could help you out. It can be tough bonding rabbits, but once they are together, they are stupid happy.

Awesome, thanks :) Won't be doing it for another few months, just putting my feelers out, I definitely want a friend for her.

Leaving my bun for a week or so, staying with my mate and then going home to see my parents and I'm already paranoid. Have left my housemate with instructions to check her a couple times a day, let her play out, and to make sure she's always got hay, water, and some pellets. I know he'll do a good job, it just sucks because she only really gets on with me. Buuuut the state of our shared living areas is stressing me out so I need to get away and can't take her with me cos my mate has a dog that is brilliant with humans but I dunno how he'd react to a rabbit and I don't wanna stress her. My room is huge and clean and bunny proofed though, so she'll be fine, it's just me that can't stand the kitchen and living room. I live with six people and I've left her in (the?) charge of my only housemate that is conscientious and an animal lover so I trust him to the ends of the earth.

Look at me trying to justify leaving my ickle bunny boo :( I'm only down the road though so will be coming back to see her every few days no doubt.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 16, 2013