Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T
I've played through a crapton of times, but never really bothered to ask anyone else about this:

How come there's only one option for getting something for Kaidan, but there are like five for Ashley?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Probably because Bioware cares more about Ashley, same reason why she got that stupid new hairstyle and outfit and Kaiden looks mostly the same.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Doc Dee posted:

Plus a free "extended cut" that clarifies the ending a bit more for the people that didn't quite get it?
It re-writes the endings, it doesn't clarify them. In any case; most of the DLC is free and the only DLC you need to pay for that's really worth it is "Leviathan".

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Doc Dee posted:

$35 for a game that has also had like $50 worth of free DLC in the MP, plus a free "extended cut" that clarifies the ending a bit more for the people that didn't quite get it? That doesn't sound too bad to me, honestly.

The MP DLC is free because EA makes a lot from the pure-profit microtransactions, and it would be bad for them if the community was split in terms of available characters/enemies/maps. Not saying I don't appreciate their business model of “make the lazy/impatient/rich people pay for everyone's DLC", but that stuff wasn't made free out of the goodness of EA's hearts.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

Kaidan got an update where he needed it most, his armor. That ME1 poo poo was pretty bad, should have been on Jenkins so we wouldn't have to see it so much.

I'd argue that Ash got her update where she needed it most, too. :colbert:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Chilly McFreeze posted:

If you created a face in ME1, and imported it to ME2 without changing it, it won't import properly into ME3.
If you create a new face in ME2, it will import to ME3 correctly.

This might fix it? I haven't tried this

This was patched so that it works now without problems, at least on Xbox.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Doc Dee posted:

Kaidan got an update where he needed it most, his armor. That ME1 poo poo was pretty bad, should have been on Jenkins so we wouldn't have to see it so much.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, as Kaidan, Jenkins, and Shepard all start out wearing the same Onyx armor, the only difference being that Shepard has the N7 designation while Kaidan and Jenkins do not. I like Ashley's proper armor (not the bizarre miniskirt casual uniform) in ME3 though, and also liked the fact that one of Liara's alternate outfits was a suit of combat armor too.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Didn't Kaiden have fabulous pink Phoenix armor in the ME2 intro? They should have brought that back.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 29, 2013

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

The MP DLC is free because EA makes a lot from the pure-profit microtransactions, and it would be bad for them if the community was split in terms of available characters/enemies/maps. Not saying I don't appreciate their business model of “make the lazy/impatient/rich people pay for everyone's DLC", but that stuff wasn't made free out of the goodness of EA's hearts.

oh, OF COURSE NOT. But you don't HAVE to pay to get it.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I'm not sure what you're referring to here, as Kaidan, Jenkins, and Shepard all start out wearing the same Onyx armor, the only difference being that Shepard has the N7 designation while Kaidan and Jenkins do not. I like Ashley's proper armor (not the bizarre miniskirt casual uniform) in ME3 though, and also liked the fact that one of Liara's alternate outfits was a suit of combat armor too.

Wait, that's just LIGHT Onyx armor? No wonder they had to add the red stripe on Shepard's, that poo poo is bland as gently caress.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Batham posted:

It re-writes the endings, it doesn't clarify them. In any case; most of the DLC is free and the only DLC you need to pay for that's really worth it is "Leviathan".

From Ashes is included with the PC deluxe edition right? It's the other ME3 dlc worth getting unless this next (and last) dlc they're doing is awesome.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Veotax posted:

Where the hell did this come from? I've never had this problem with ME3 imports.

That was a bug at release, maybe it's been patched since?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121913-Zaeed-Massani-Voice-Actor-Dies

Just found this out a moment ago. Robin Sachs has passed on.

edit-should've checked the other thread first.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
Not everyone reads the other thread though; thanks for linking this here. Man, what a guddam shame that people didn't even find out that he died for four days :smith:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

VirtualStranger posted:

Is there any way at all to get the default Female Shepard face from 1 & 2 to show up properly in 3? Whenever I try to import that face from ME2, it always come out hosed up. It would be nice if there was a face code to recreate it.

I'm referring to the one that looks like this:

I don't see why they felt the need to change the default to a new on that looks worse, and then not even give you a way to keep the old one.

Also, that hair color seems to be completely gone from ME3.

I used the Lazarus program linked here to get my femshep right. It works by converting the face morph files that the gibbed editor generates. Apparently it doesn't work with male Shepard though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dan Didio posted:

That was a bug at release, maybe it's been patched since?

It's been patched, but it still doesn't work well/properly.

edit: ME1 armour was the best and it sucks that it's not available to wear in ME3, even though random npcs can be seen wearing it.

If you're not beating the game wearing Onyx V Heavy you're just not true N7 hth

sassassin fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 6, 2013

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know, I never understood why the Phoenix armor gets such rap. In fact, I love the space retro feel of the ME1 armors, with their funky foam and padding and tubes going everywhere look that just fits the universe. By ME3 everything just got Gears-Of-War'd all the way and I'm like...I miss the tubes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

BrianWilly posted:

Y'know, I never understood why the Phoenix armor gets such rap. In fact, I love the space retro feel of the ME1 armors, with their funky foam and padding and tubes going everywhere look that just fits the universe. By ME3 everything just got Gears-Of-War'd all the way and I'm like...I miss the tubes.

I was in favor of this too. Same with the music of ME1. I mean, ME2 and 3 had good music too, but a certain charm was lost. I don't think its rose goggles though, I can't force myself to play ME1 again no matter how hard I try.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I still love mass effect 1 and replay it from time to time, but there's no denying just how bad certain parts are. This is really apparent to me when I've just finished ME1 and head over to ME2. Just when You've basically become numb to ME1's lovely gun-play and inventory, ME2 rudely awakens you by making shooting actually fun from the get-go.

Apart from that though, you also become immediately aware of the shift in tone (music, coloring, more fantastical elements) and the loss of some minor gameplay elements (for example; I liked the medigel/medkit system for ME1 a lot more). Now I'm not calling ME1 hard sci-fi or anything, but it still feels like it tried to keep things a bit more serious and plausible than ME2 (e.g. Kasumi doing her anime-jump when fighting the gunship) and ME3.

It's like Babylon 5 and Farscape; both are sci-fi shows but are completely different in tone, themes, music, ect... . By the way, I recommend all Mass Effect fans to give those 2 shows a look. You might be surprised just how much Bioware downright copied and simply pallet swapped from them.

Batham fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 7, 2013

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-07-bioware-calling-the-next-game-mass-effect-4-is-a-disservice

Next game won't be called Mass Effect 4

quote:

"To call the next game Mass Effect 4 or ME4 is doing it a disservice and seems to cause a lot of confusion here," BioWare community manager Chris Priestly wrote on the company's forums.

"We have already said that the Commander Shepard trilogy is over and that the next game will not feature him/her. That is the only detail you have on the game. I see people saying 'well, they'll have to pick a canon ending'. No, because the game does not have to come after. Or before. Or off to the side. Or with characters you know. Or yaddayaddayadda."

"Thinking of the next Mass Effect game as Mass Effect 4 would imply a certain linearity, a straight evolution of the gameplay and story of the first three games," he wrote. "That doesn't mean that events of the first three games and the choices you made won't get recognised, but they likely won't be what this new story will focus on.

"If you had three games centred around a group of key soldiers in the US army during World War I and then decided to make a game about another group of people during the Second World War, the games could have many points in common and feel true to one another," he continued.

"You likely would have to recognise how the events of the first war influenced the ones of the second, but you would not necessarily think of it as a sequel. Again, the analogy is not great, but what I'm trying to say is that the ME universe is so rich that we are not limited to a single track when coming up with a new story."

"What makes it Mass Effect is indeed the alien races, the technology, the lore, history, etc. You can safely expect those in the next Mass Effect."

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 7, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Still full of poo poo, still not making any sense. Way to go Priestly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Believe it or not I'd like a smaller scale Mass Effect game. Something that took place on just one planet (though a very big/busy planet, to keep things interesting). That way you could be facing a big personal threat but not something that attempts to trump the Reapers.

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

This seems like a bunch of, "Well we hosed ourselves with the last story, but we still want to mine the IP for money. So.... we're going to take the setting and just kinda... skip forward, or backwards, or sideways. You know. Just get as far away from our big mess of hosed up writing as we can but still keep you buying our stuff."

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Any future Mass Effect game will most likely be released on next-gen consoles and thus will not be able to use save importing from previous games.

I really wish they'd just leave the IP alone and not turn it into a franchise zombie, but that's likely not happening now that they've sold their soul to EA.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The next Mass Effect will be a more linear shooter where you can spend real money in-game to get weapon and power upgrades early. It will feature drop-in drop-out co-operative play with a unique twist: Spend enough time with another player and you'll be able to romance them!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ImpAtom posted:

The next Mass Effect will be a more linear shooter where you can spend real money in-game to get weapon and power upgrades early. It will feature drop-in drop-out co-operative play with a unique twist: Spend enough time with another player and you'll be able to romance them!

No, that's Dark Souls 2 you're thinking of.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

With the sad news of Robin Sach's passing, I post this video I found in tribute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9-dLzzQuVM

Well, that isn't really a clear picture of the next game. It's good that they are at least not trying to make another Shepard game.

I hope you'll play a non-military character this time, like a pirate or mercenary. I think Bioware did say they saw a lot of interest in playing alien characters.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

quote:

No, because the game does not have to come after. Or before. Or off to the side. Or with characters you know. Or yaddayaddayadda.
That doesn't make any sense at all. It's stupid even for :smug: EVIL :smug: Chris Priestly.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
That truly made no sense at all. He essentially said nothing. He used all those words to say absolutely nothing.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Viridiant posted:

That truly made no sense at all. He essentially said nothing. He used all those words to say absolutely nothing.

Mad PR skills at work here!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

BrianWilly posted:

I loved the fact that the best krogan armour in the game had neon tubes everywhere. You can get the same effect in ME3's multiplayer, but it's just not the same.

As for the music, I liked the first game's themes, loved the second's, but the third... other than the music that played when the kid got exploded when leaving Earth, I can't remember any of it at all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Well EA knows that Mass Effect is a franchise that can make ti a lot of money now. Everyone knew there was going to be another Mass Effect, but the question is how are they going to do the setting. Of course they'll try to stay away from ME1-3, it's too complicated to try and fit anything in there now (especially an entire games worth of material)

I don't think they'd commit to a game without humans at all, so you have to pick from anything between The First Contact War up to the events of ME1.

It's entirely possible they can do something after ME3 but set an arbitary amount of time in the future.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

quote:

"If you had three games centred around a group of key soldiers in the US army during World War I and then decided to make a game about another group of people during the Second World War, the games could have many points in common and feel true to one another
yeah but if you wiped out the entire United States at the end of the WW1 game then it'll feel weird to have a bunch of US soldiers in the WW2 game. And who are we even fighting WW2 against? Hitler? Why aren't the invincible Robot Kaisers taking care of it?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

What if they go all Abramsverse on Mass Effect?

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
Oh good god made a post in the other thread about looking forward to ME4 and then of course Priestly gotta make that.

quote:

because the game does not have to come after. Or before. Or off to the side.

So the game will take place in the head of a autistic boy as he stares into the snow-globe of the Normandy? Bleh. I just gotta keep telling myself that Priestly is a joke and doesn't actually know anything.

edit-

Batham posted:

What if they go all Abramsverse on Mass Effect?

Huh, a reboot. Didn't think of that. That might be something.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So Bioware Montreal's Studio Director Yannick Roy decided to chime in after Priestly posted:

quote:

Hi guys,

It’s my first time posting on the forums, so I hope I’m going to do it right!

What Chris is saying is that thinking of the next Mass Effect game as Mass Effect 4 would imply a certain linearity, a straight evolution of the gameplay and story of the first three games. But because we are switching to a new engine and need to rebuild a bunch of game systems, we have an opportunity to rethink how we want these systems to be going forward instead of just inheriting them from the previous games. Story-wise, the arc of the first trilogy has also been concluded, and what we will do is tell a new story set in the Mass Effect universe. That doesn’t mean that events of the first three games and the choices you made won’t get recognized, but they likely won’t be what this new story will focus on.

In other words, because the game takes place before of after the first trilogy does not mean it necessarily is a straight prequel or sequel.

I’m not a big fan of analogies because the images you use always mean something different to different people, so they are inherently flawed. But let me use one anyway. :P

If you had three games centered around a group of key soldiers in the US army during World War I and then decided to make a game about another group of people during the second World War, the games could have many points in common and feel true to one another, and you likely would have to recognize how the events of the first war influenced the ones of the second, but you would not necessarily think of it as a sequel. Again, the analogy is
not great, but what I’m trying to say is that the ME universe is so rich that we are not limited to a single track when coming up with a new story.

I apologize for being cryptic right now, but it’s early enough in development that we don’t have much to share – things still fluctuate quite a bit. As I have posted on Twitter though, the overall feeling of what you are discussing and asking for is very much aligned with what the team intends on delivering, and that makes me feel very good about where we’re heading!

I hope this helps clarify why we’re not thinking of the next ME game as ME4 internally!

-----------
What makes it Mass Effect is indead the alien races, the technology, the lore, history, etc. You can safely expect those in the next Mass Effect. :)
-----------
While getting a Mass Effect MMO at some point is not impossible, you'll be happy to hear that this is not the game we're talking about when we talk about the next Mass Effect. :)
-----------
Correct, that's what I meant. Time does indeed matter, but the words prequel / midquel / sequel come loaded with a bunch of other assumptions that don't necessarily all apply to the next ME game.
-----------
By the way, thank you all for making me feel welcome here. I don't know how regularly I'll be able to stop by the forums, but given that today is the first time in the 7+ years I've been with BioWare, it should not be too hard to improve my batting average! ;)
-----------
Thanks!

We don't have a firm communication timeline established at this point, but I don't expect it will be for several more months. Early in development, things fluctuate so much that any detail we communicate could have to be "uncommunicated" a few months later. I think we'd rather have something solid to show by the time we step in the spotlight. You can definitely expect to hear DA3 details before ones about the next ME!

The ----------- separates his posts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Somebody said something essentially meaningless and we still know absolutely nothing about the next Mass Effect game but boy I just gotta MASH THESE loving KEYS AND POST ABOUT IT.

Seriously, it's neat that everyone's all smug about how they're 2 cool 4 ME or w/e now, but he didn't really say anything besides reiterating what they've been saying all along. The trilogy was Shepard's story, and the ME universe is a big place where there is room for lots of other stories.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem is that the ending of ME3 basically makes "other stories" impossible to set up properly because there are three outcomes which are pretty exclusive to one another and the setting is such that there's nobody but Shepard who could have done anything meaningful because everything came down to Shepard's single choice.

The most likely answers are time travel or dimension hopping or something similarly sci-fi.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that the ending of ME3 basically makes "other stories" impossible to set up properly because there are three outcomes which are pretty exclusive to one another and the setting is such that there's nobody but Shepard who could have done anything meaningful because everything came down to Shepard's single choice.

The most likely answers are time travel or dimension hopping or something similarly sci-fi.

Nothing is "impossible" because they own the loving IP and it's sci-fi. I don't see why every single person has become obnoxiously pedantic since the ending of ME3 but I'm sorry you can't imagine that there is enough room in the ME universe for another game.

Monni
Apr 24, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

$35 for a game that has also had like $50 worth of free DLC in the MP, plus a free "extended cut" that clarifies the ending a bit more for the people that didn't quite get it? That doesn't sound too bad to me, honestly.

Yes, the problem with the ending is that people were just too dumb to understand the glory of it.

The space Satan tells Shephard to kill himself by jumping into a green laser beam so that his spirit energy can be combined into a giant microphone to turn everyone into organic-machine hybrids (also known as reapers). You do this because all robots are evil and an evil robot created a race of evil robots to fight these evil robots by killing all the organics before they get to kill all organics 'yoink?'. Then the galaxy explodes in a bunch of supernovas as the lifeline of the galactic civilization is destroyed and probably most of the galaxy as well. It is never explained why logical machines turn into a bunch of murderers. But after you apply a cheap shader effect on everything, including hats and plants, the robots are no longer evil murderers. The shader effect represents technology. Although it is also applied to the robot crew member. Synthetic + synthetic = hybrid?

After all this you get a quiet little scene with an adult and the same adult model scaled down talking about the legend of Jesus "The Shephard" Christ. The fact that they can't just check the actual facts online hints at the destruction of all technology. The size 1.0 adult is voiced by the legendary Buzz Aldrin... and his acting is loving terrible and creepy.

And the last thing you see is a small little text box popping up. It tells you to keep your credit card handy so that you can buy the DLC to add to this great story.

These are the thoughts I had when I witnessed the ending first time. I had my hands on both sides of my head in a surprised fashion. I was laughing in disbelief. During the credits I stopped laughing. I thought I had somehow hosed up, but it turns out Bioware just ran out of time. So an autistic project director took a terrible writer with him and they wrote the ending so that the game would ship before EA lost its poo poo. The terrible writer only had one ace in his sleeve. A napkin he had drunkenly scribbled on. On the napkin it said "It's like the loving matrix, dawg!"

The End

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

DrNutt posted:

Nothing is "impossible" because they own the loving IP and it's sci-fi. I don't see why every single person has become obnoxiously pedantic since the ending of ME3 but I'm sorry you can't imagine that there is enough room in the ME universe for another game.

I mean, nothing is ever "impossible" because they can quite literally write anything they can think up in their heads, but what most people mean is that it's impossible to do [X] if they want to stick to the rules and confinements they have (so far) established within their IP. And if they decide to significantly and arbitrarily break these rules in order to tell their new story it's bad storytelling.

If they want to make a game that chronologically takes place after ME3, they will have to deal with what happened to the Reapers somehow.
At this point I do kind of expect them to just declare the Reapers beaten and gone ... one way or another, without settling on a specific ending of ME3.
Synthesis? Yeah that kind of happened .. but not really, and everything pretty much works as you've been used to, no hive-mind and no glowy parts in organics.
It's not impossible to do a game based on these premises but it's bad storytelling because within the confines set by the previous games, Synthesis, Destroy and Control should be mutually exclusive, or if they somehow aren't all of a sudden, then why bother making them in the first place.

Either way, I'm happy that new and fresh personnel is doing the next game, and I think they should just try to stay away from the ME3 ending as much as possible without going into too much detail and without having the galaxy changed to the point where it might as well be a completely new IP based on its implications (i.e. the effects of Synthesis). It's still dumb and silly but the current ending situation is pretty much not salvageable so at this point they should just find a way to leave it behind and move on, even if that means accepting a silly retcon or straight up ignoring major events that happened in Shepard's trilogy and pretend they just never happened.

• Locked thread