Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

quote:

Code repositories and version control are gone. We work on live sites (Pipelines protects us from stupidity), never document code (it's legible, that's the point), and focus on the client's business requirements.

TBC alt dream job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tef posted:

ala the old joke, we think 100 mi is a long distance and you think 100 years is a long time

it was fun to say my school was twice as old as their country back when i was still in school

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Hard NOP Life posted:

TBC alt dream job
http://holophrasticenterprises.com/
view source

edit: wtf, the page inverted its colors after i posted this. it was white bg black logo before

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 6, 2013

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

lol oh god

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
ridiculous that end-to-end unicode is still so hard in tyool 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
it's just part of pipelines

http://gsin.holophrasticenterprises.com/

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
oh hey this is still a thread, good to see

re exception talk, as someone who works in an environment where checking int codes returned from function calls is the only available method of "error handling", I would much prefer checked exceptions

the scalability issue of checked exceptions in practice exists exactly the same way with error codes - if you don't want to deal with a problem you simply return the code you don't want to handle to the next caller to deal with, the difference being of course that I might try to handle FNF_ERR not realizing that code 10116 in this particular case is actually SCK_ERR, while FileNotFoundException will not be mistaken by a developer for SocketException even if the compiler didn't catch the different types, which it does

the real difference between checked exceptions and error codes is that "versionability" is way worse, since if a deep function suddenly returns a new code, you have to manually change every potential caller to handle that new code, and every caller that calls that function and so on, without a compiler to help you since the function signature hasn't changed

imo checked exceptions offload error checking tedium/mistakes/unexpected runtime issues from the developer to the compiler as much as possible which is a good thing, further optimization is definitely possible but with tools/development practices/other extra-language approaches

failure tolerant systems are a good idea when the failures you're tolerating can't be avoided like line noise, power outages, HDD failures and so on - coding to tolerate lovely developers is just asking for trouble

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if you don't code for lovely developers, it's the end users that end up paying for it

(e: or the lovely dev if your system is strict enough to keep them working until it's non-poo poo)

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://holophrasticenterprises.com/
view source

edit: wtf, the page inverted its colors after i posted this. it was white bg black logo before

lol, looks like somebody found out about 1001_cool_fonts.torrent

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internaut! posted:

oh hey this is still a thread, good to see

re exception talk, as someone who works in an environment where checking int codes returned from function calls is the only available method of "error handling", I would much prefer checked exceptions

the scalability issue of checked exceptions in practice exists exactly the same way with error codes - if you don't want to deal with a problem you simply return the code you don't want to handle to the next caller to deal with, the difference being of course that I might try to handle FNF_ERR not realizing that code 10116 in this particular case is actually SCK_ERR, while FileNotFoundException will not be mistaken by a developer for SocketException even if the compiler didn't catch the different types, which it does

the real difference between checked exceptions and error codes is that "versionability" is way worse, since if a deep function suddenly returns a new code, you have to manually change every potential caller to handle that new code, and every caller that calls that function and so on, without a compiler to help you since the function signature hasn't changed

imo checked exceptions offload error checking tedium/mistakes/unexpected runtime issues from the developer to the compiler as much as possible which is a good thing, further optimization is definitely possible but with tools/development practices/other extra-language approaches

failure tolerant systems are a good idea when the failures you're tolerating can't be avoided like line noise, power outages, HDD failures and so on - coding to tolerate lovely developers is just asking for trouble

actually we were talking about checked exceptions vs option types + match statements.

the latter helps with fail fast and error handling, and also making flow control explicit

rather than implicit flow control across multiple files, classes and packages. wooo non local exits.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

quote:

option types

serious post: what makes you guys think the programmer won't just do

case b of
good(butt) => touchit
| _ => ignore

?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
@ tef: umm, Jeff Atwood co-founded Stack Overflow. You can't have your cake and eat it too, as they say. You used the term 'cognitive dissonance' in your talk and came up with your own doozy: "Jeff Atwood sucks but I love the tools he created that I use". Otherwise, I enjoyed your presentation.

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

case b of
good(butt) => touchit
| _ => ignore

?

"but what if this is used by a moron?" is not really a very good point against anything.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

tef posted:

@ tef: umm, Jeff Atwood co-founded Stack Overflow. You can't have your cake and eat it too, as they say. You used the term 'cognitive dissonance' in your talk and came up with your own doozy: "Jeff Atwood sucks but I love the tools he created that I use". Otherwise, I enjoyed your presentation.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
yep, that's me

i love copy editing role play games

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
YOSPOS: An adventure for character levels 69-420

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

case b of
good(butt) => touchit
| _ => ignore

?

morons will continue to white-knight java and php

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Jerry SanDisky posted:

YOSPOS: An adventure for character levels 69-420

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

morons will continue to white-knight java and php

java is the white knight who saved us from malloc

before java, any language that wasn't C or C++ was stigmatized as a toy. they could be "RAD tools" or "scripting languages" but never a programming language for Serious Men to accomplish Serious Business Tasks at Serious Enterprises

unfortunately this also somehow made php respectable. can't win'em'all

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

java is the white knight who saved us from malloc

before java, any language that wasn't C or C++ was stigmatized as a toy. they could be "RAD tools" or "scripting languages" but never a programming language for Serious Men to accomplish Serious Business Tasks at Serious Enterprises

unfortunately this also somehow made php respectable. can't win'em'all

none of this is true at all. a shitton of software got written for Enterprises in vb, to which java is the spiritual successor. and a fair amount of pc software got written in delphi/object pascal as well, which incidentally was much better than java in every regard

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
also, you know, modula-3

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Police Academy III posted:

"but what if this is used by a moron?" is not really a very good point against anything.

Counterpoint: the world and everybody in it

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
gently caress everything but Oberon FORTH.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Otto Skorzeny posted:

none of this is true at all. a shitton of software got written for Enterprises in vb, to which java is the spiritual successor. and a fair amount of pc software got written in delphi/object pascal as well, which incidentally was much better than java in every regard

delphi and vb were both sold as "RAD tools," even though delphi at least was capable of being much, much more

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
ok, turbo pascal then.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

delphi and vb were both sold as "RAD tools," even though delphi at least was capable of being much, much more

"Almost Pascal".. and remember their custom loving Ugly-as-Motif poo poo they did? Yeah. That was loving awesome.

..now Android gives us that liberal homebrew-toolkit 1998 feel. :w00t:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I noticed that my university has a Delphi class taught by the CS department head. Is Delphi still common enough to make this class worth it? The other choice is an "Advanced Java" class.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Its the same class :ssh:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
it is kind of funny though that in the span of about 5 years the world went from "count them cycles, motherfucker" to OBJECTS ARE THE ONE TRUE WAY with nothing in between

like, the c++ code that the gang of four book was based off (incidentally, this reminds me that smalltalk was also moderately commercially successful before java), which is about the worst poo poo ever written in the language, was drat close to doing the OO version of church numerals and thinking it was a good thing

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Bring back Clipper

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
:psyboom:

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Otto Skorzeny posted:

it is kind of funny though that in the span of about 5 years the world went from "count them cycles, motherfucker" to OBJECTS ARE THE ONE TRUE WAY with nothing in between

like, the c++ code that the gang of four book was based off (incidentally, this reminds me that smalltalk was also moderately commercially successful before java), which is about the worst poo poo ever written in the language, was drat close to doing the OO version of church numerals and thinking it was a good thing

smalltalk was never successful because it was expensive and fragmented

what could have been :sigh:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Ericadia posted:

I noticed that my university has a Delphi class taught by the CS department head. Is Delphi still common enough to make this class worth it? The other choice is an "Advanced Java" class.

generally speaking, don't take the commercial viability of a language into account when deciding what course to take, and also don't take courses about a particular programming language with a few rare exceptions that will be obvious when you see them

however, if there is some requirement that only these two courses can fill, go delphi unless you want to work in the enterprise acid mines all you life in which case take the java course for the same reason that you get novocaine before having your wisdom teeth removed

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Jerry SanDisky posted:

smalltalk and lisp are like the archaea of computing. forth too i guess

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
perhaps i have my history wrong, but i thought that smalltalk had the same level of niche success as forth (imagine a world where computing was based on stack machines running forth. like if penguins had evolved to intelligence rather than apes)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

generally speaking, don't take the commercial viability of a language into account when deciding what course to take, and also don't take courses about a particular programming language with a few rare exceptions that will be obvious when you see them

however, if there is some requirement that only these two courses can fill, go delphi unless you want to work in the enterprise acid mines all you life in which case take the java course for the same reason that you get novocaine before having your wisdom teeth removed

Java is p good to learn as the JVM equivalent of C

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Otto Skorzeny posted:

perhaps i have my history wrong, but i thought that smalltalk had the same level of niche success as forth (imagine a world where computing was based on stack machines running forth. like if penguins had evolved to intelligence rather than apes)

well, kinda except smalltalk was quite influential in terms of the object model it espoused

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Jerry SanDisky posted:

real life smalltalk story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Comprehensive_Compensation_System

The C3 project started in 1993 by Tom Hadfield, Director of Payroll Systems, under the direction of CIO Susan Unger. The initial spark for the project was a small object-oriented prototype built by Hadfield. Smalltalk development was initiated in 1994. The end goal was to build a new system to support all the payroll processing for 87,000 employees by 1999.[1] In 1996 Kent Beck was hired to get the thing working; at this point the system had not printed a single paycheck.[2] Beck in turn brought in Ron Jeffries. In March 1996 the development team estimated that the system would be ready to go into production around one year later. In 1997 the development team adopted a way of working which is now formalized as Extreme Programming.[3] The one-year delivery target was nearly achieved, with the actual delivery being a couple of months late; the small delay being primarily due to lack of clarity regarding some business requirements.[4] A few months after this first launch, the project's customer representative — a key role in the Extreme Programming methodology — quit due to burnout and stress, and couldn't be replaced.[5]

The plan was to roll out the system to different payroll 'populations' in stages, but C3 never managed to make another release despite two more years' development. The C3 system only ever paid 10,000 people.[6] Performance was something of a problem; during development it looked like it would take 1000 hours to run the payroll, but profiling activities reduced this to around 40 hours; another month's effort reduced this to 18 hours and by the time the system was launched the figure was 12 hours. During the first year of production the performance was improved to 9 hours.[7]

Chrysler was bought out by Daimler-Benz in 1998, after the merger the company was known as DaimlerChrysler. DaimlerChrysler stopped the C3 project on 1 February 2000.[8]
Frank Gerhardt, a manager at the company, announced to the XP conference in 2000 that DaimlerChrysler had de facto banned XP after shutting down C3;[9] however, some time later DaimlerChrysler resumed the use of XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Otto Skorzeny posted:

smalltalk had a little blip where IBM supported it, then spun off the brand as a java thing

by the time the two other main smalltalk implementors merged, java was becoming a thing and welp