Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

Anyway, it's totally gonna be Smitty. :unsmith:

Totally knew it, though I should probably have posted my reasoning for making my prediction, since now this just comes off as a lucky guess.

Really, though, he was the only reasonable choice. Annie is far too volatile and has a tendency to get spirits and such worked up (Mort, the fairies, Ysengrin), and Parley is no good at actually parleying. Smitty is stable, calm, and communicates well.

I'm interested to see if Annie has another angry outburst. The time seems ripe for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Brannock posted:

I'm interested to see if Annie has another angry outburst. The time seems ripe for it.

I'm interested in seeing if Coyote and Ysengrin actually acknowledge Smitty.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Ugh, I knew the next medium would be Annie, she's such a mary sue. Next thing you know she'll kiss a boy:mad:

Really. I'm going to start magically liking Smitty and the fact that Tom's ensured we won't get anything resembling a Coyote/Annie end?

Great, one more boring-rear end straight medium. Tons of potential lost and for what? Because Tom didn't feel like taking any chances. That's for the two designated 'weird' kids in the comic, huh? Can't have the main characters interested in the forest, despite all the little hints (and sometimes not so little ones) dropped all over the place. Must make them straight, boring, and ensure they wind up with the worst characters in the comic.

Yeah, tell me what there is to look forward to with this medium, hoss. You seem to be all for it. Smitty's the most boring lead in any diplomatic mission since Chiba Mamoru from Sailormoon. : There's not a single interesting (or redeeming) thing about him and yet it's looking increasingly like Coyote's going to end up with him.

Because straight people, that's why. God forbid GCC take a chance with anything. Nope, must conform to the status quo and leave that gay poo poo to the weirdo characters, right?

Yeah, no. gently caress you and gently caress Tom. I guess it's nice he made a 'please stop reading my webcomic, it's becoming like any other teen romance strip' arc though. Real considerate-like. Always good to see straightforward, boring fuckin' romance blooming. And at the end, they'll have a piece of native american folklore, Annie'll die, and Smitty'll be there to talk about the folktale's adventures in the school or some other stereotypically generic thing. Because the kids must be like the parents, always and forever.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Every time we reference him, we give him some of our power...

Side note: I was pulling for Mort in a last second twist. I mean, he's a ghost, but he lives (ha!) in the Court...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

If you look closely, you can see extremely minute changes in all three of their faces. It's so subtle that I'm probably finding something that isn't really there but... I think we're seeing them at the very instant all four of them realize "wait, what".

I think that's more just Tom redrawing the entire panel rather than ctrl-c ctrl-v. Even the background is different.

Zenzirouj posted:

I think it's pretty adorable how so many of you guys are so baffled by a simple gag that you've begun to theorize how various reality-altering magical powers might have conspired to produce a comical misunderstanding.

Unless it was some real high-grade misdirection, Jones recommended a girl for the job. Given what we know, even though it's goofy, Smitface's powers acting up is still a good explanation for what just happened. e: So is the headmaster doin' his own drat thing and it's the conventional record-scratch gag, so, as always with Krigg, wait-and-see is prob. the best response.

Also, darn you Tom, I knew you were gonna make me go "oh I can't wait for Monday." I'm supposed to dread Mondays, not welcome them!

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 8, 2013

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Phy posted:

Unless it was some real high-grade misdirection, Jones recommended a girl for the job. Given what we know, even though it's goofy, Smitface's powers acting up is still a good explanation for what just happened.

Also, darn you Tom, I knew you were gonna make me go "oh I can't wait for Monday." I'm supposed to dread Mondays, not welcome them!

I'm leaning more toward this as well. The last time we saw someone stop talking mid-sentence and everyone freeze in place was when Coyote stopped time in the forest. It's possible he's up to some of the same trickery here and Reynard is the one he wants to talk to, perhaps in an effort to woo him back to the woods.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Time is not frozen for everyone but Rey.
Annie's smile is fading.
You must adapt your already overcomplicated theories for this.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I don't know, the whole misunderstanding is just going on a little too long to appear natural. The way Smitface just cuts off midsentence but everybody keeps the same expression seems to be another hint.

Besides, that's exactly the kind of thing Coyote would do.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Time is not frozen for everyone but Rey.
Annie's smile is fading.
You must adapt your already overcomplicated theories for this.

Tell us more about how Occam's Razor consistently applies to Gunnerkrig Court. :allears:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Perestroika posted:

I don't know, the whole misunderstanding is just going on a little too long to appear natural. The way Smitface just cuts off midsentence but everybody keeps the same expression seems to be another hint.

Besides, that's exactly the kind of thing Coyote would do.

Everything also lost color saturation the last time Coyote stopped time. So no, it's just them realizing what was actually said slowly but surely.

Edit: Quoted the wrong person.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 8, 2013

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Brightman posted:

Everything also lost color saturation the last time Coyote stopped time. So no, it's just them realizing what was actually said slowly but surely.

Edit: Quoted the wrong person.

I think the point that is being missed is that it's FUN to speculate. Non fun havers.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I think the point that is being missed is that it's FUN to speculate. Non fun havers.

Renard's head moved! Could it be that Coyote has magic telekinetic/mind-control powers and has turned his head around by force to force eye-contact in an effort to repossess his possession power??

"No, he turned his head around by himself."

But it's FUN to speculate :D

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Alls I knows is that as usual the bombshell is on a Friday so we have an extra day's wait.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

everyone posted:

IT'S MAGIC

Man. So many people are so bad at reading comics.

PleasingFungus posted:

Really. I'm going to start magically liking Smitty and the fact that Tom's ensured we won't get anything resembling a Coyote/Annie end?

Will this ever stop being funny? I vote no.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

Alls I knows is that as usual the bombshell is on a Friday so we have an extra day's wait.

That was my first thought after reading it a few times and getting over the initial 'wait, what?' The whole weekend to wait? Noooooo.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Phy posted:

Unless it was some real high-grade misdirection, Jones recommended a girl for the job.

"Recommended".

I wonder how Jones feels about this development. (She feels nothing, being a stone)

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Rasamune posted:

"Recommended".

I wonder how Jones feels about this development. (She feels nothing, being a stone)

I'm betting that the Headmaster just drew names out of a hat for the next medium.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Yeah, but we could speculate on stuff like what's going to happen with Smitty being the medium and still have fun without stretching too much.

Prison Warden posted:

Will this ever stop being funny? I vote no.
Every time it pops up I forget for a few moments what it is and think the person has just gone insane. Then I remember and laugh.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Phy posted:

I think that's more just Tom redrawing the entire panel rather than ctrl-c ctrl-v. Even the background is different.

Unless it was some real high-grade misdirection, Jones recommended a girl for the job. Given what we know, even though it's goofy, Smitface's powers acting up is still a good explanation for what just happened. e: So is the headmaster doin' his own drat thing and it's the conventional record-scratch gag, so, as always with Krigg, wait-and-see is prob. the best response.

She recommended a girl for a job, it's not stated that the job is actually that of medium.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Clearly, Annie gets to inherit Eglamore's job.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
One of the first things that Jones ever said to Annie is that the Court has its way of making decisions. She made her recommendation, but there is absolutely no reason to imagine that the headmaster felt he had to abide by it. It's just a recommendation. It might be that it's for a different job, but it also might be that Jones said "it should be Annie" and the headmaster said "opinion noted" and put the file into the trash.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Nettle Soup posted:

She recommended a girl for a job, it's not stated that the job is actually that of medium.

We can take this a step further and point out that Jones only recommend a girl for something, it's not necessarily a job. It would seem that it's Annie being recommended for something, and that's why the Headmaster says they need to announce the new medium since Annie would be out of the running, but maybe not. Hell this recommendation could end up taking a really dark turn in the future for all we know :smith:

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Brightman posted:

Yeah, but we could speculate on stuff like what's going to happen with Smitty being the medium and still have fun without stretching too much.

If I were a writer like Tom with an engaged audience like he has I'd be disappointed if they didn't speculate like mad when something this bizarre happens. It shows that his stories are interesting and unpredictable.

I agree that it's very likely that they expected it to be Annie so hard that they reacted that way. I just think it's strange for anyone who's read (and enjoyed) GC up until now to act like it's unreasonable for others to wonder if something more exotic is going on.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
For now I'm just ruling out Coyote stopping time, Smitty's power acting up could be the case, or possibly some other shenanigans. If Tom is just doing a fake-out and the saturation in the room gets sucked out save for Reynardine on Monday, then okay, but I personally doubt this is what's going on.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Brightman posted:

For now I'm just ruling out Coyote stopping time, Smitty's power acting up could be the case, or possibly some other shenanigans. If Tom is just doing a fake-out and the saturation in the room gets sucked out save for Reynardine on Monday, then okay, but I personally doubt this is what's going on.

That's what's so awesome about this drat comic. We never know wtf is going to happen and it could be anything at all. I sure didn't expect today's events.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

If I were a writer like Tom with an engaged audience like he has I'd be disappointed if they didn't speculate like mad when something this bizarre happens. It shows that his stories are interesting and unpredictable.

I agree that it's very likely that they expected it to be Annie so hard that they reacted that way. I just think it's strange for anyone who's read (and enjoyed) GC up until now to act like it's unreasonable for others to wonder if something more exotic is going on.

There's nothing stopping non-fun-havers from reading comics like this. Just look at ChibiSoma, I don't think he's ever really had fun in his life, and he read this comic... Until Tom sank his ship, anyway. :mmmhmm:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a gag, folks. The hilarious part was the way it went on so long. I mean, these people have been sure for at least a year that Annie was going to be the next medium. They probably had those little speeches ready before they went in there. That last panel is the perfect little moment of silence before everyone realizes what just happened.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a gag, folks. The hilarious part was the way it went on so long. I mean, these people have been sure for at least a year that Annie was going to be the next medium. They probably had those little speeches ready before they went in there. That last panel is the perfect little moment of silence before everyone realizes what just happened.

And then the next comic has them in the exact same poses with eyes open and straight-line mouths, staring at the headmaster.

:stare: :catstare: :stare:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Freudian posted:

Renard's head moved! Could it be that Coyote has magic telekinetic/mind-control powers and has turned his head around by force to force eye-contact in an effort to repossess his possession power??

"No, he turned his head around by himself."

But it's FUN to speculate :D

Yeah, there's a difference between reading from the comic and coming to conclusions and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTc4zI_7-Ms

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Brightman posted:

We can take this a step further and point out that Jones only recommend a girl for something, it's not necessarily a job. It would seem that it's Annie being recommended for something, and that's why the Headmaster says they need to announce the new medium since Annie would be out of the running, but maybe not. Hell this recommendation could end up taking a really dark turn in the future for all we know :smith:

She was nominating herself for Best Jones. Largely a formality, as she's won the last four billion years in a row.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Hahaha poor Renard, he's so confused.

I'm eagerly waiting to see Smitty interacting with Coyote.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I see two explanations, and I'm fine with both, but the first explanation is what I think is most probable.

1) Coyote has stopped time and is going to make an offer to Reyardine. Coyote is the one that killed Annie's chances with an objection, but he will withdraw it for Annie to become medium if R comes back to the forest. Convoluted moral dilemma, there ya go.

2) They all misheard and their reactions will post Monday.

My money is behind 1 because this is fairly momentous and Tom doesn't usually stick in gags like that so readily. It's not lfgcomic after all.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

This is one of my very favorite pages.

Congratulations, Smitty.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

This is one of my very favorite pages.

Congratulations, SmittyAnnie.

Geez, weren't you listening? :colbert:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know, this nomination might be a ploy by the Court; people have mentioned Coyote and such not standing for it. What if that's the point, though? Either get a rise out of them before putting forth Annie or whatever, or not even doing that? We already know these meetings consist of both sides posturing at each other. This could be something like that as well.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
This page owns.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Roland Jones posted:

You know, this nomination might be a ploy by the Court; people have mentioned Coyote and such not standing for it. What if that's the point, though? Either get a rise out of them before putting forth Annie or whatever, or not even doing that? We already know these meetings consist of both sides posturing at each other. This could be something like that as well.

I think this is pretty likely, and honestly I'm hoping for an exchange like:

YSENGRIN: We do not recognise your elected Medium.

[Hall goes silent]

LLANWELLYN: ...I see. Smith, the Forest's Medium does not recognise you. Would you kindly step forward so he can get a better look at you, and perhaps offer a few words of introduction?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Donkringel posted:

I see two explanations, and I'm fine with both, but the first explanation is what I think is most probable.

I have a third explanation, Annie has had a name change because her dad is a jerk, so she is now Andymony Smith.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Clearly Annie secretly married Smitty and changed her first name to Andrew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
I want the next page to have Coyote going "Congratulations, Firehead Girl!" because he's terrible with names.