Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Polidoro posted:

Peru was playing a 25-year-old Ecuadorian guy in the U-20 championship, apparently. This is the best tournament!

Proud of my country. Apparently his dad "didn't remember" when his birthday was. loving classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
He should have picked a better name. Max Barrios sounds pretty silly.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

:siren: Belize have scored a goal :siren:

Polidoro posted:

Peru was playing a 25-year-old Ecuadorian guy in the U-20 championship, apparently. This is the best tournament!

Hahaha are they gonna be kicked out? Is this a conspiracy to get Brazil back in? :tinfoil:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

According what I heard, only the player will be sanctioned and could face jail time in Peru for falsifying documents. Uruguay could use some disqualifications so we make it to the WC as we like the best, undeservedly.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

2010 :argh:

Though we didn't really deserve to go either so...

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

:siren: Belize have won a football match :siren:

Belize 2 - Nicaragua 1 and surprisingly this has been a great game and the most entertaining so far in this poo poo cup.

First ever win for Belize in the UNCAF cup.

e:Some nice goals too 00:41:30 01:54:00 and 02:01:00 if you want to watch them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnLwxqnodOg

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 23, 2013

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I started watching that game you linked Drogadon, but I had to close the tab when I realized that even Belize players can make three passes in a row and they seem to know how to receive the ball without making it bounce away and that's something I'll never see Uruguay do :smith:

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

So apparently Belize just qualified for their first-ever Gold Cup, thanks to Costa Rica and Guatemala drawing. Wow. It'll be fun to see a new team in there, instead of the usual five Central American suspects (though I think Nicaragua made it once too).

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

That Belize team has been really good (relatively), what they lack in ability they make up in discipline.

Results:

Belize 2 - Nicaragua 1
Panama 1 - Honduras 1
Costa Rica 1 - Guatemala 1 (We are not going to the world cup if we can't beat loving Guatemala :suicide: )

Final positions:

Group A

Costa Rica 7pts
Belize 4pts
Guatemala 3pts
Nicaragua 1pt

Group B

Honduras 2pts
El Salvador 2pts
Panama 2pts

Honduras finished first on goals scored and El Salvador got second place on a coin toss.

Semifinals

Costa Rica - El Salvador
Honduras - Belize

Fifth place playoff (for the last entry into the Gold Cup)

Panama - Guatemala

Belize have qualified to the gold cup for the first time ever.

e: yes, Nicaragua made it last time by winning the 5th place game against Guatemala

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any good place to keep up with Copa Libertadores in English? ESPN has a segment, but it doesn't seem to get updated very much. I'm not a big fan of football, but after watching a bit about Corinthians and Fluminense, I want to try to keep up with this season. South America seems far more entertaining than all the other leagues. One question. How come the FIFA Club Cup doesn't seem to get much respect? Like I said, I don't know much at all, but other than the UEFA Europa League, it seems like every major league has their best teams show up. I'm not sure why Corinthians/Chelsea was considered meaningless by the forums when just reading about the lead-up makes it seem like it was the most important game they would ever play.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 23, 2013

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Is there any good place to keep up with Copa Libertadores in English? ESPN has a segment, but it doesn't seem to get updated very much. I'm not a big fan of football, but after watching a bit about Corinthians and Flamanese, I want to try to keep up with this season. South America seems far more entertaining than all the other leagues. One question. How come the FIFA Club Cup doesn't seem to get much respect? Like I said, I don't know much at all, but other than the UEFA Europa League, it seems like every major league has their best teams show up. I'm not sure why Corinthians/Chelsea was considered meaningless by the forums when just reading about the lead-up makes it seem like it was the most important game they would ever play.

Your best bet is Fox Sports en Espaņol really, that or online streams. The Copa Libertadores is absolutely mental and a very entertaining tournament, I definitely encourage you to follow it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

The Club World Cup is fairly recent, before that what happened was the Intercontinental Cup which was a super cup between the winners of the European Cup and the winners of the Libertadores. Then FIFA came along and in an effort to include "emerging markets" (oil money) into it they turned it into the CWC.

Europeans don't like it because it challenges their sense of footballing superiority, they call it a "Mickey Mouse cup" so they don't have to deal with the fact that historically football dominance has been split down the middle between Europe and South America. See this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_football_champions_clubs

I know Brazilians care a lot about this. Argentinians probably do as well. Mexicans might care too because they go every time these days.

Other people who care about it are supporters of a pack of purple cunts from a small time country, for whom losing 3-0 to Liverpool has been their greatest achievement and they won't loving shut up about it almost 10 years later. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_FIFA_Club_World_Championship

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Having spanish speaking commentators is, like, a quarter of the fun of Libertadores. Depending on which ones they get, they are often times horribly biased or hilariously over the top (or both).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the info guys. That makes sense about the CWC originally just being a match between the Copa Libertadores and Champions League winners, seeing as the final every year has basically been that. I looked back, and it looked like one year the Libertadores champions got beat in the semis, and then the winner of that game got smashed by Barcelona in the final. But other than that, it seems to basically be what you said. I knew about finding streams for the games. I'm gonna try and use tunein radio to track down audio streams of games from South America as well, but we'll see how well that works. I was talking more about finding news and information. I only know a few of the teams names, let alone players and stories. I don't speak a lot of Spanish, so I only learn bits and pieces from the commentary, but that doesn't seem to stop it from being entertaining as hell. If I don't read about it on the side, I'm going to have no idea what is going on. I found https://www.sambafoot.com which seems to have a decent amount of stuff. Is there anywhere else that's good for keeping up with the developments?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Panama 3 - Guatemala 1
Guate fail to qualify to the Gold Cup again

Honduras 1 - Belize 0
The dream ends for Belize but it was really close

Costa Rica 1 - El Salvador 0
twobadteams.jpg

Mercifully this dire poo poo ends on Sunday

Final: Costa Rica - Honduras
Third place match: Belize - El Salvador

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Something unique happened today. Boca juniors managed to make more than 2 passes without losing the ball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvNiKBGZQBw

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
First win under Bianchi as well.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

El Salvador 1 - Belize 0

El Sal take third but it was a really good show from Belize. 4 goals allowed in 5 games when a few years ago they be lucky to only allow 4 in a half.

Costa Rica 1 - Honduras 0

The best game of the tournament and a glimmer of hope for the future. Patrick Pemberton is a loving hero and shouldnt be playing in the local league for much longer.

Sin Dios
Aug 7, 2004

Drogadon posted:

El Salvador 1 - Belize 0

El Sal take third but it was a really good show from Belize. 4 goals allowed in 5 games when a few years ago they be lucky to only allow 4 in a half.

Costa Rica 1 - Honduras 0

The best game of the tournament and a glimmer of hope for the future. Patrick Pemberton is a loving hero and shouldnt be playing in the local league for much longer.

Mae todavia tenes aim o ICQ?

Great match btw, first half was electrifying.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
gently caress ALL Y'ALL WE'RE ON THE GROUP STAGE FOR LIBERTADORES

man that almost sucked god bless Marcelo Grohe and Elano

Also, Vargas is awesome. Best acquisition so far. I think this might've been the toughest game we'll have until Round of 16.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Well done Gremio.

Anyone watch Bolivar - Sao Paulo? Looks like it was a hilarious collapse even though SP were pretty much already through.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/687630/Live

Sin Dios posted:

Mae todavia tenes aim o ICQ?

No, ya no los uso. drogadon@gmail

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Dias posted:

gently caress ALL Y'ALL WE'RE ON THE GROUP STAGE FOR LIBERTADORES

man that almost sucked god bless Marcelo Grohe and Elano

Also, Vargas is awesome. Best acquisition so far. I think this might've been the toughest game we'll have until Round of 16.

I really hope you play La U. Vargas is the best player they have sold in the past couple of years.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Anyone wanna watch Uruguay de Coronado beat up some purple cunts?

http://www.telenoticias7.com/envivo.php

e: 1-0 already :getin:

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 3, 2013

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If you can understand Portuguese, the following is a good example of the level of corruption that is involved in hosting the world cup:

http://blogdojuca.uol.com.br/2013/02/quem-recebe-e-quem-passa-a-bola-da-copa-em-minas/

If you don't understand the language, here's a brief summary:

Belo Horizonte, one of the cities hosting the world cup, has 2 stadiums, a smaller one built for the 1950 world cup and a bigger one. The plan for the world cup was to upgrade the bigger one. But since Belo Horizonte has 2 teams in the 1st division, they wanted to make sure they had a place to play while the bigger stadium (Mineirao) was being fixed. So they decided to refurbish the smaller stadium (Independencia) as well.

The plan was that Independencia would be fixed in the first half of 2010, and when it reopened they would then close Mineirao for its upgrades. But they only started the work on Independencia much later than anticipated, and so it closed at the same time as Mineirao did. And then the Independencia renovation took about 3 times longer than anticipated. So they had to refurbish a 3rd stadium, some 50 miles from Belo Horizonte, so that the professional teams could play there.

Final costs:
Fixing Arena do Jacare (the one 50 miles from Belo Horizonte): r$ 12 million (the equivalent to US$6 million)
Fixing Independencia (the smaller stadium in Belo Horizonte): R$ 150 million (US$ 75 million) - and this one was only ready about 8 months before Mineirao, instead of the expected 2 years
Fixing Mineirao (the one that will actually host the World Cup): R$650 million (US$ 325 million) - and this is only so far. When Mineirao reopened last weekend, parts of the stadium didn't have electricity, bathrooms didn't have water, most bars didn't open, and the parking deck wasn't working properly, and the field was getting flooded, so they might need to redo it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
325 million and its still hosed; that's incredible. Is it down to cronyism and super low bid contracts and the usual poo poo or is it more sinister?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Brazil's government sucks (as every other LatAm government). What's new.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

325 million and its still hosed; that's incredible. Is it down to cronyism and super low bid contracts and the usual poo poo or is it more sinister?

The stadiums are publicly owned, but companies bid for the contracts to renovate the stadiums in exchange of getting its lease for the next few decades. Nor surprisingly, the companies that won also have a few million dollars donated to the campaigns of the governor of Minas Gerais and the mayor of Belo Horizonte. In this particular example (since every host city handled things differently), there was a clear incentive to gently caress things up. "Oops, work on this stadium is late? Better go refurbish an additional one. Here's some more money."

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
In "everybody saw this coming," news, Riquelme is back at Boca. Should we have a running bet on how long it'll take him to have another issue with the board/coaching staff?

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

In "everybody saw this coming," news, Riquelme is back at Boca. Should we have a running bet on how long it'll take him to have another issue with the board/coaching staff?

I say a year. Also if messi comes back to Argentina what club do you think he would play for?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Roman is a oval office but still one of my favorite players, hope he does well.

Newell's was Messi's biyhood club, right?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, Newell's seems like the one he'd go back to. But I don't know, it's hard to imagine him ever leaving Barcelona.

Rogerio Ceni scored number 109 today from another freekick. Best. Goalkeeper. Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafovUK8uSQ

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I doubt he's going to move til 2018 when his extended contract ends. Could you imagine the price tag on a Messi transfer?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
He's only going to be 31 in 2018, he's probably going to move when he's 35 and play one or two years in Argentina.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I doubt he's going to move til 2018 when his extended contract ends. Could you imagine the price tag on a Messi transfer?

If Barcelona were to ever sell him and not let him play out the rest of whatever contract he'd retire on, they'd sell him for what would be considered a reasonable price (like when Ronaldinho went to Milan). Whether he'd live up to that price afterwards (or the expectations of "WE SIGNED MESSI") would be a different thing entirely, but I still don't think Barcelona would do that. Considering Messi's dedication and history at the club, I think it'd be pretty hypocritical and heartless of Barcelona to just phase him out by selling him in order to make way for the next La Masia superstar.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Messi always says that he wants to finish his career in Newell's but I guess that will be when he's in his 40's at least.

Anyway, The first division league in Argentina started yesterday with a 1-1 tie between Union and Arsenal and reigning champions Velez winning away at Argentinos Juniors.

Today Boca managed to overcome a 1-2 partial against Quilmes with two goals by Burdisso's little brother for the final 3-2 score. The third goal was a nice cross.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOZOs4SXdQk
Edit:
Weekend summary:

Current standings

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 12, 2013

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Anyone watching Nacional - Barcelona?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Barcelona already 0-1 scoring their first goal ever against Nacional in Uruguay.

0-2 !

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 12, 2013

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

and the first one was really good too

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Mother fuckin' Abreu puts it 1-2

Haha this is great, cards everywere.

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

What a shocking referee, Barcelona were robbed.