Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Must be nice. 99s here are all at around 4k even beaten to poo poo from a quick glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Mystery time. An associate at work has a 2004 Forester, with an interesting problem. Any ideas:?
200,000 miles
40,000 miles Since head gaskets done at Dealer
20,000 miles since thermostat replaced at Dealer
“Dealer did pressure test and some bubbles showing up, but they don’t know what is wrong”
“When we turn the heat on, most of the time it’s way too hot and we die when it comes out of the vents, rarely (but sometimes) it works normally.”
“The temperature gauge is always at normal”

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

jamal posted:

Huh? The sti is the one that has all the extra clearance for twin-scroll cars. I don't think one exists that would allow better header fitment. What pan and what headers do you have?

04-05 style pan on 05 sti, invidia race header. It hits the pan, supposedly the 06+ pan will fix the fitment issue.

I have the bottom left, and allegedly need the bottom right:

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 7, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That's odd. So you have the bottom left pan and they don't fit?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27383408&postcount=36

It does look like the later pan has a bit more room. They're about $80-90 and will work with your existing pickup and baffle. Although while the pan is off it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a killerb pickup in.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
That's correct.

I will be putting in the pickup tube as well. I'll post my failed attempt at 400whp when this thing dynos tomorrow or Saturday.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mulligan posted:

How difficult is to swap a 2.0 twin scrolll jdm engine to an 07' USDM STI?

Why do you want to do this? Why not twin scroll the original motor? If you are racing then I see the point or you have a OEM fetish or Group N but.... just to do it?

(Mechanicals are straightforward, there's wiring looms to be changed and poo poo like that that tho so it's not just drop in and go. Plus swap the ECU etc)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Roman Rambo posted:

That's correct.

I will be putting in the pickup tube as well. I'll post my failed attempt at 400whp when this thing dynos tomorrow or Saturday.

Cool. Looks like my post there was a little late.

Speaking of the killer b pickups, it doesn't look like any sort of a group buy is going to happen but if anyone wants one let me know. The volume discount wasn't going to be all that much anyway.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
My 08 Legacy with 81K miles is making a strange noise after it's warmed up, only while moving, not brakes. It's speed dependent and kind of a whirring almost-whistling sound from about 20mph to stop, coming from the front.

My mechanic said he couldn't hear it but I know it's there, it started up about 3 months. Do differentials get noisy in these models? I don't think it's a bearing or transmission.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Would someone be willing to post/link to a good manifesto on how to setup a Subaru GC for rallycross? (dirt/snow)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Faerunner posted:

Halp I think it broke

So um... theoretically anyone want a perfectly good parts car at a reasonable price? (Depending on what the repair estimate comes out to, and it isn't technically mine to sell, just putting it out there as a possibility) It runs and drives (rear suspension is messed up so I wouldn't drive it FAR, but it made it a mile without obviously hurting anything to get to a safe place to call for a tow, and then made it up on the tow truck on its own power) and the engine has new valve cover gaskets and plugs...

Estimate came back at $7200+ due to the front end damage, the local salvage yard is offering a whopping $600.

Keep it and part it out, or try and sell it to someone in need of a parts car, hmm..

solarisin
Jun 23, 2009

Horizontally Opposed

daslog posted:

Mystery time. An associate at work has a 2004 Forester, with an interesting problem. Any ideas:?
200,000 miles
40,000 miles Since head gaskets done at Dealer
20,000 miles since thermostat replaced at Dealer
“Dealer did pressure test and some bubbles showing up, but they don’t know what is wrong”
“When we turn the heat on, most of the time it’s way too hot and we die when it comes out of the vents, rarely (but sometimes) it works normally.”
“The temperature gauge is always at normal”

Sounds like a HVAC problem and not a cooling system problem if the temp gauge is normal. Does the temperature adjuster not work?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Faerunner posted:

Estimate came back at $7200+ due to the front end damage, the local salvage yard is offering a whopping $600.

Keep it and part it out, or try and sell it to someone in need of a parts car, hmm..

I have all the front and rear lights, grill, bumper cover, etc. if the front end isn't too tweaked you could rebuild it.

I also have both airbags from my RS.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm suffering from too many options on the internet, which cabin air filter for my 2012 Impreza should I get? Rockauto has an ATP Particulate, WIX Particulate Filter, and an ATP Carbon for varying prices and "features". Should I be shopping rockauto or somewhere else?

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

I have all the front and rear lights, grill, bumper cover, etc. if the front end isn't too tweaked you could rebuild it.

I also have both airbags from my RS.

Ignoring the costs of shipping momentarily, what would you want for all of that?

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

jamal posted:

That's definitely the standard path for a wrx. $500 is a little pricey for a catless downpipe although I can get you one of those for less.

You could do an intake with it. Some people on the internet say they are worthless but that hasn't been my experience. And then after that you're at the turbo, intercooler, injectors stage.

If, after up/down pipe and tune, I wanted to put a different turbocharger in, would the turbo below be okay with the stock TMIC, or would you recommend going with a beefier TMIC / FMIC?

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Blouch-TD05H-16GXT-Turbo-Billet-Wheel-Subaru-Models-inc-2002-2011-WRX-STI

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Totally TWISTED posted:

I'm suffering from too many options on the internet, which cabin air filter for my 2012 Impreza should I get? Rockauto has an ATP Particulate, WIX Particulate Filter, and an ATP Carbon for varying prices and "features". Should I be shopping rockauto or somewhere else?

What's cheapest? Some guys here buy a furnace filter and cut it down to size, so if it's cheaper than a furnace filter fill your boots.

Filters is filters, as far as I'm concerned. Get the cheapest, see if it works and only upgrade once you need it. The markup is insane especially on the factory filter.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 8, 2013

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Faerunner posted:

Ignoring the costs of shipping momentarily, what would you want for all of that?

I can't PM you. I have no idea. I parted out a 2001 forester so I have pretty much everything from it except the hood and driver side fender.

What ever you think is fair for both of us.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's cheapest? Some guys here buy a furnace filter and cut it down to size, so if it's cheaper than a furnace filter fill your boots.

Filters is filters, as far as I'm concerned. Get the cheapest, see if it works and only upgrade once you need it. The markup is insane especially on the factory filter.

Thanks. I can't help over thinking everything.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

daslog posted:

Would someone be willing to post/link to a good manifesto on how to setup a Subaru GC for rallycross? (dirt/snow)

Front sway bar disconnected, smallest rear sway bar possible, as much castor as possible, -2 camber front, -1 rear, zero tow front, 1-2mm tow in rear, drop tyre pressures to 32psi or lower (IF you think they wont derim, they might well do that), make sure handbrake works.

Oh and chunky tyres.

Do all that, throw it into corners, you'll be VERY surprised how quick the car is.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

YarPirate posted:

If, after up/down pipe and tune, I wanted to put a different turbocharger in, would the turbo below be okay with the stock TMIC, or would you recommend going with a beefier TMIC / FMIC?

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Blouch-TD05H-16GXT-Turbo-Billet-Wheel-Subaru-Models-inc-2002-2011-WRX-STI

With that turbo you would be okay, but I would try to find a stock sti tmic to go with it (and are you sure you don't want an 18g-XT...)

I have a wholesale account at RSD so I can get anything on their site usually at a better deal.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

I can't PM you. I have no idea. I parted out a 2001 forester so I have pretty much everything from it except the hood and driver side fender.

What ever you think is fair for both of us.

I don't know what my fiance wants to do, he seems to be leaning toward "Who loving cares, I'll take the $700 final offer from the salvage yard and sell a couple guns and everything will be fine" right now. He's not really taking the loss of another vehicle very well; I don't think he wants to look at it again after spending an hour cleaning out his stuff from it and pulling the aftermarket audio stuff out.

Also he found an '04 XT with a manual nearby for $6500.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Faerunner posted:

Buy it!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

jamal posted:

Buy it!

Working on getting the money together. His grandma is loaning him $5k toward a new car, I think he has something like $1k in the bank right now not allocated to bills, and he's selling a few guns this weekend. If it's still there around Monday he'll probably drag me out to drive the Jeep back for him. (Joke's on him, if he takes a day longer than that I work the rest of the week and can't help him, haha)

113k miles, red, a few dings, two previous repaired accidents back when it was nearly new according to the Carfax or whatever eBay uses. It's an eBay classified, not auction.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Faerunner posted:

I'd buy a manual XT of that generation in a heartbeat.

Yet another dumb subaru question, but how cancerous/expensive can the impreza rear quarter panel rust be? There's a bugeye WRX sedan for sale 200km away for a reasonable price (7200 nego, keep in mind this is the rustiest part of canada) but I'm not sure if it'd be worth picking up and trying to get fixed. He says it has a "a bit" of rust, but I've heard that before. I'd prefer a forester XT or WRX wagon, but pickings are slim around here.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 9, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Totally TWISTED posted:

What is the replacement frequency on those?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cat Terrist posted:

Front sway bar disconnected, smallest rear sway bar possible, as much castor as possible, -2 camber front, -1 rear, zero tow front, 1-2mm tow in rear, drop tyre pressures to 32psi or lower (IF you think they wont derim, they might well do that), make sure handbrake works.

Oh and chunky tyres.

Do all that, throw it into corners, you'll be VERY surprised how quick the car is.

Great, thanks!

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Cat Terrist posted:

Why do you want to do this? Why not twin scroll the original motor? If you are racing then I see the point or you have a OEM fetish or Group N but.... just to do it?

(Mechanicals are straightforward, there's wiring looms to be changed and poo poo like that that tho so it's not just drop in and go. Plus swap the ECU etc)

Is just that a friend bought a crashed Spec C for the 6 speed and other bits(front clip, wheels, hubs, seats, dash etc) for his WRX, so he has the engine occupying space in his garage, conveniently there is a 06 STI' laying around with an unreliable engine a few blocks away from my house, all neglected and faded, it seems the car turns off after warming up, so I'm here thinking about a 2.0 high revving spec C engine on an STI for not a lot of money...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I like the 2.5. You know, no replacement for displacement and all that, and I would just fix whatever is wrong with the sti. I think all you would need to do is switch the cam sensors to run it with the stock ecu. I have a local guy shopping for a 207 swap for his wrx though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

What is the replacement frequency on those?

Every 1-2 years or every 15K miles from what I've read.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Faerunner posted:

The guy should be leaving flames behind to grab it. Best drat Forester of all

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Holy poo poo, CT and I agreed on something and the universe didn't explode. Did you guys buy that car yet?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Investigating strange squeaking, looking through maintenance records, this gem:

:wtc:

PO was a dude who I'm pretty sure was on meth.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

jamal posted:

Holy poo poo, CT and I agreed on something and the universe didn't explode. Did you guys buy that car yet?

Awaiting response from the seller. We don't have the cash in hand yet anyhow, though. And it turns out it's in Akron, not local (I just saw the ad for myself) so it's a four hour round trip to get it if it's still available.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Investigating strange squeaking, looking through maintenance records, this gem:

:wtc:

PO was a dude who I'm pretty sure was on meth.

"excellerates"

"excelleration"

"julty"

What the gently caress

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Yet another dumb subaru question, but how cancerous/expensive can the impreza rear quarter panel rust be? There's a bugeye WRX sedan for sale 200km away for a reasonable price (7200 nego, keep in mind this is the rustiest part of canada) but I'm not sure if it'd be worth picking up and trying to get fixed. He says it has a "a bit" of rust, but I've heard that before. I'd prefer a forester XT or WRX wagon, but pickings are slim around here.

First post of my thread I have a section about the body work I did to my 2002 RS.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451672

The car was hit and resealed poorly and rotted out, so I had to cut out a poo poo ton and weld new metal in.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Faerunner posted:

Awaiting response from the seller. We don't have the cash in hand yet anyhow, though. And it turns out it's in Akron, not local (I just saw the ad for myself) so it's a four hour round trip to get it if it's still available.

quote:

No I have not sold it yet. The radiator is leaking but not bad, I haven't noticed anything under the car, not that it would be noticeable in a cold and rain weather. Mechanic mentioned that it will need to be changed in the future
and it cost 500 in the shop with labor. Anyway notice on the photo one door slightly different color if you look close you will notice and there are couple small dents there (also on the picture). no rust. Give me a call if you want to ask questions, so you dont have to drive for nothing, but always welcome to drop by. My phone <blahblah cut contact info>

And a followup a few minutes later

quote:

forgot to mention new breaks just got them this fall

Okay someone help me with things to ask about it. Is this one of the head gasket problem years? I don't really know the specific issues this might have had. Obviously at 113k miles it should have recently been serviced. Don't really care about the door being slightly off in color, if it ever bothers us enough the body shop that did our other Forester are pretty much color magicians.

Edit: Another angle of the right side

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 9, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Slow is Fast posted:

First post of my thread I have a section about the body work I did to my 2002 RS.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451672

The car was hit and resealed poorly and rotted out, so I had to cut out a poo poo ton and weld new metal in.

:suicide:

Bodywork isn't something I can do and I can imagine that'd run 2k at a decent shop around here. loving hate nova scotia.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Faerunner posted:

Okay someone help me with things to ask about it. Is this one of the head gasket problem years? I don't really know the specific issues this might have had. Obviously at 113k miles it should have recently been serviced.

If it's built between 1999 and 2008, then yes.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Would that apply to the turbo engines too, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

No, you don't really have to worry about headgaskets on turbo cars. It should have had all the timing stuff and water pump just done. If you bring it to a mechanic to get checked out have them do a leakdown test.