Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Are you trying to have a DOT approved scout biker helmet? Or just a scout biker helmet? I can get you in contact with a few makes from the 501st legion that make those helmets and have kits available. You still have to put them together so you'll still feel crafty :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

Are you trying to have a DOT approved scout biker helmet? Or just a scout biker helmet? I can get you in contact with a few makes from the 501st legion that make those helmets and have kits available. You still have to put them together so you'll still feel crafty :)

A (mostly) DOT approved biker helmet. I'm not sure what their feelings are on having stuff strapped to the outside. If I was going to do the helmet for normal wear I'd get one of the kit type things and go that way. I'm using the helmet though because I want to ride with it on.

I considered a kit, but given how much they tend to cost, and how much I'd probably have to hack it up, it seemed far more cost efficient to just do it myself.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
There are a few companies that make kits for biker scout helmets. Maybe get a kit and add to your helmet?

Edit: Beat

Funhilde fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 25, 2013

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I don't think they care about poo poo all over it considering there are those crazy mohawk ones everywhere.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

I *DO* HAVE A BOBA FETT TATTOO, HE JUST DOESN'T PLAY CLARINET
I'm just starting on female mandalorian armor for my girlfriend to wear alongside me as Boba Fett. So far is an amazing sketch my friend made of my idea for her armor.. it's time to get to work.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
That boob-plate seems a tad excessive.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
And the cleavage window.

EDIT: Wookieepedia lists a couple of canon female mandalorians, and both of their outfits are visibly female, but less...anatomically correct.

Amykinz fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 25, 2013

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Fair warning, if you go with the boob armor your girlfriend is either gonna risk either getting attacked by purists (in that they're gonna come up and rant about proper female Mando armor), or glomped by the guys who think that sort of thing is an invitation for it.

My experience with Mandalorian Merc cosplayers is they somehow manage to be even more particular than 501st members. They even made their own association so they could have a hierarchy just like Mandalorian clans.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I dressed as Snake Eyes once and was harassed for speaking while dressed as the character. LOL.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I've come to the conclusion (being a member of the 501st) that all Mando Mercs are gigantic dickheads. I've trooped with a number of female members all of which do not have "boob armor" and other than the long hair hanging down you couldn't tell they are female.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Somewhere I have a photo of a Mando group where one of the guys made his entire costume out of recycled denim. Not a terrible idea, but it looked like poo poo.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

Rubber Slug posted:

I was looking into a voice modulator, but couldn't find anything satisfactory (if you can find one I'd be stoked). I might go in with actual soundbites playing through a speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoBuDMyvT0Q

Just a run of the mill halloween voice changer on monster setting works well.

edit: ebay link

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 25, 2013

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Mozzie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoBuDMyvT0Q

Just a run of the mill halloween voice changer on monster setting works well.

edit: ebay link

If the adults from Charlie Brown were in the Overwatch....

Seriously, I can barely understand a word in the video.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Haha yeah, when I first saw that I thought he was using the Russian combine voice clips from the game. Still, it's better than nothing. I'll probably grab one of those.

Update:

Still wondering what kind of foam would be best for the filters (http://i.imgur.com/63wXtya.jpg). Something strong, stiff, and light would work best I think. I'll probably move onto the back of the head and collar after this.

Rubber Slug fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 28, 2013

Electric Pez
May 12, 2008
Hi. I have never made any costumes or even cosplayed before, so I am a little at a loss as for what to do.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice for what fabric would be good to use for Etna from Disgaea (for top, bottomw, boots and gloves) It is shiny, but form fitting.

Thank you

Electric Pez fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 31, 2013

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Holy Smokes! You're gonna try that? BRAVE.. BRAVE.

I've no experience with this but I look forward to seeing those pictures. Even if you're a dude. Actually... ESPECIALLY if you're a dude!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

High gloss PVC fabric would probably be your best bet, although it can be challenging to sew.

Electric Pez
May 12, 2008

Jet Ready Go posted:

Holy Smokes! You're gonna try that? BRAVE.. BRAVE.

I've no experience with this but I look forward to seeing those pictures. Even if you're a dude. Actually... ESPECIALLY if you're a dude!

Haha. The convention is actually held at a hotel with a water park, so it isn't uncommon to see people walking around wearing less than I will be :o

And thank you, RazorBunny! That looks about right. I will have to practice sewing with that material so I see if I am able to do it.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
You could also use a metallic stretch fabric. It could be more comfortable.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Funhilde posted:

You could also use a metallic stretch fabric. It could be more comfortable.

Is that the stuff like those trashy women wear? Like gold lame really tight pants?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Jet Ready Go posted:

Is that the stuff like those trashy women wear? Like gold lame really tight pants?

yup.

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=METALSPANDEX

Actually I recommend distinctive fabric for faux fur and other fun stuff. They also offer coupons every month for 10%-30% off.

Electric Pez
May 12, 2008

Funhilde posted:

yup.

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?product=METALSPANDEX

Actually I recommend distinctive fabric for faux fur and other fun stuff. They also offer coupons every month for 10%-30% off.

Thank you! I ordered a sample of the Metal Spandex, PVC Vinyl, and the liquid lame (because it looks so perty). This site is awesome.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Electric Pez posted:

Thank you! I ordered a sample of the Metal Spandex, PVC Vinyl, and the liquid lame (because it looks so perty). This site is awesome.

You are welcome. Be sure to find them on Facebook to get their discount codes.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Depending on how the rest of my semester goes, I'm thinking I might shoot for doing a Nighthawk cosplay for an upcoming con. The suit I have a pretty good handle on, but its the cowl that has me puzzled. What kind of material works best for a cowl, and what works best for keeping it on my face all day at a con?

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Working on breastplates now - more specifically a peascod breastplate. Found a wonderful pattern and step-by-step process here: http://howtomakearmour.blogspot.ca/2012/02/making-breastplate-armour.html. I'm not sure how to get those sort of curves and tapers shown in the original piece. We started with cardboard to play around with the shape, but can't get it to bend right (of course, because it's cardboard). Are there and handy ways to make that sort of thing out of everyday materials - poster board, foam, paper mache, paper clay? Wonderflex was thrown around, but I don't want to wait around for it to eventually get delivered to us (Canadian Post = notoriously slow).

Picture related (so pretty) :swoon:

Edit: Got the leather skirts completed. Helmets and codpiece are covered in paper clay and are waiting to be sanded, then painted. I'll have to take pictures in the light this weekend.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

OK Prop experts, I need some materials advice.

I'm making this beaut (and the costume of the naked lady behind that, but I've got that taken care of):

I have a hula hoop, and what I'm stuck on is what to make the glass panels out of. I want them to at least be translucent, to get a stained glass feel out of them. For time purposes, I want to make it out of one large sheet of something, but I'm blanking on translucent/transparent materials that are cuttable with, like, a scissor or xacto knife. Does anyone have any idea what I could use?

Edit: fixed img

May be a bit late for this, but while shopping for materials for Battle Angel Alita's Damascus Blade [I'll post pics of my Tuned armour progress when I'm not traveling] at Home Depot, I stumbled upon those flexible sheets of plastic you use on overhead fluorescent lights and found one with a lovely raised crackle effect. It's clear, cheap, and you can use either side. It cracked when I flexed it too far, but as long as you reinforce the edges between each section [I'd think wire threaded through your adhesive of choice], you can paint one side with glass paints and there you go.

I'm really excited to have found this thread since I've been doing this for 15 years and always felt bad about derailing the PYF Cosplay thread with construction questions and info.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Bag of Hamsters posted:

May be a bit late for this, but while shopping for materials for Battle Angel Alita's Damascus Blade [I'll post pics of my Tuned armour progress when I'm not traveling] at Home Depot, I stumbled upon those flexible sheets of plastic you use on overhead fluorescent lights and found one with a lovely raised crackle effect. It's clear, cheap, and you can use either side. It cracked when I flexed it too far, but as long as you reinforce the edges between each section [I'd think wire threaded through your adhesive of choice], you can paint one side with glass paints and there you go.

I'm really excited to have found this thread since I've been doing this for 15 years and always felt bad about derailing the PYF Cosplay thread with construction questions and info.

I secretly (not that secretly) hate the PYF costume thread a lot. I feel like people constantly get really, really excited over really bland costumes or naked lady ones and nitpick anything that shows actual skill. I should stop posting in there but it irritates me so much.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

McPantserton posted:

I secretly (not that secretly) hate the PYF costume thread a lot. I feel like people constantly get really, really excited over really bland costumes or naked lady ones and nitpick anything that shows actual skill. I should stop posting in there but it irritates me so much.

Plus it's hard not to see SA as something of a safe haven for weirdos and then watch someone post your picture and your friends' pictures and discuss how much they want to floss with your pubes or something.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Now you understand why I hid this baby away in the DIY sub forum! :tinfoil:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I'm more than irritated with that thread. If I hear another "fatty needs to not dress up" style comment in that thread I am going to lose it. Costuming should be fun.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
I am with you guys more often than not I find myself frustrated with it. Though I can't seem to unbookmark the thread because you never know when someone will post a marvelous costume on there.

As for progress I am currently setting up in hopes to work on some armor and wigs this weekend. Next weekend my friend is coming up to help me improve my soldering skills so I can start incorporating working leds into my costumes. Though I need to get some armor pieces worked out and start on Leviathan for Squigly meaning I need to get the tube placed in the wig and start with his basic form in hopes for a test run of movement. I guess at the end of the day he doesn't have to floss my brain but I would really like it if he did.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Ugh, the fat comments piss me off, too. They're just mad about :flaccid:

Gonna embark on some Disney Princess stuff soon, for myself and a couple of friends and the lulz. Cinderella, Snow White and Belle, I think. Can't wait to get my hands on some yellow satin. :frogsiren:

What's everyone got planned this year?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Ugh, the fat comments piss me off, too. They're just mad about :flaccid:

Gonna embark on some Disney Princess stuff soon, for myself and a couple of friends and the lulz. Cinderella, Snow White and Belle, I think. Can't wait to get my hands on some yellow satin. :frogsiren:

StarCraft. I'm gonna be a lady Space Marine, bitches. :black101:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'd like to get around to starting my Scout Trooper from Endor this year :unsmith:

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
I WANT to dress up for Anime Central this year. I used to do some (mediocre) cosplay but haven't in years. The problem with ACen is I'm going to be sitting behind a table all weekend. I have noooo clue what to do that would actually be recognizable and wouldn't impede with my ability to make art. I was sort of thinking Homura from Madoka just because I want to make her accessories. :toot:

What's worse is that even though I don't read it anymore I would easily pass as Jade from Homestuck, but the Homestucks crowd is only a little less iffy than the brony crowd. XD

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Sapphaholic posted:

I WANT to dress up for Anime Central this year. I used to do some (mediocre) cosplay but haven't in years. The problem with ACen is I'm going to be sitting behind a table all weekend. I have noooo clue what to do that would actually be recognizable and wouldn't impede with my ability to make art. I was sort of thinking Homura from Madoka just because I want to make her accessories. :toot:

What's worse is that even though I don't read it anymore I would easily pass as Jade from Homestuck, but the Homestucks crowd is only a little less iffy than the brony crowd. XD

What table are you at? I'll try and come say hi! Also if you want just do Homestuck anyway. I'm no brony but I'm wearing Nightmare Moon (ponies, for those not in the know) armor to ACen and anybody who doesn't like it can suck my unicorn horn. :colbert: Just because bronies are horrible doesn't mean I should quit making a heinously badass costume.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McPantserton posted:

StarCraft. I'm gonna be a lady Space Marine, bitches. :black101:

Awesome. I've been thinking about doing a D3 Wizard, but I'm not sure I'll have the funds for a costume this year. :(

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

McPantserton posted:

What table are you at? I'll try and come say hi! Also if you want just do Homestuck anyway. I'm no brony but I'm wearing Nightmare Moon (ponies, for those not in the know) armor to ACen and anybody who doesn't like it can suck my unicorn horn. :colbert: Just because bronies are horrible doesn't mean I should quit making a heinously badass costume.

I'll be 108! I have no clue where that is in the context of things since there's not an actual map up yet, but there you go~

You do have a point about the costuming thing though. I guess I shouldn't worry about it much. In that case, humanized shrugging Fluttershy or humanized shrugging Rainbow Dash are on the table. Except I'll probably procrastinate and/or work on stuff for my table instead, but I can dream. :smith:

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I'm planning this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmG509hTs3A since it would be kinda fun to creep people out at some upcoming cons.

Thinking of doing a sort of headless horsemen style costume with this instead of wearing some sort of zentai hood to obscure my face. I've got a couple of other things planned, but keeping them kinda simple as this year I decided to organize a group of friends going to(or rather trying to go to)SDCC this year as their first con and they're interested in dressing up so that means I'll be manning the sewing machine while I can get them do to everything else that doesn't require a sewing machine for their costumes.

Oh and I don't know if this is allowed, but I realize I have a small storage unit that's mainly fabric/patterns I've collected over the last 10 years due to this hobby so if you guys are looking for materials/patterns, let me know and we can possibly work something out(either pm or email akirachan2684@gmail.com) . I hesitate doing an SA-Mart thread cause most people who shop there aren't really looking for a bunch of fabric/patterns/crafting stuff, but figured you guys here would get better usage of the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I'm jumping into real costuming with both feet this year, and getting over my fear of the sewing machine in the process.

My practice project is a 1920s dress for a murder mystery party in which I will be a lounge singer and aspiring actress.

After that, I have plans for Scorpion (Mortal Kombat, for a friend who has NEVER had a Halloween costume). Then I need to get ready for Dragon*Con. I plan to do Girl Stinky (Sam and Max), and for my husband and myself, Arkham Asylum Poison Ivy and Scarecrow (with a Rule 63 – genderswap; someone else will have done it better with the proper genders, so I can use some artistic license).

If I have time, I have a pattern and fabric for a Morticia Addams dress, but I'm not holding my breath.