Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Reive posted:

Do Unreal games have a singleplayer? I always thought those were online deathmatch games.
The original game (Unreal Gold) has a long singleplayer campaign.

Reive posted:

That Chasm game does look surprisingly good for a Quake clone, how does it run on modern machines? I'm assuming it doesn't have a source port.
It runs fine in DOSbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Reive posted:

Do Unreal games have a singleplayer? I always thought those were online deathmatch games.

You're thinking of Unreal Tournament. Unreal proper has singleplayer (and an expansion, Return to Na Pali).

Other recommendations: Descent, Strike Force Centauri, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Aliens vs. Predator, System Shock (if you're willing to go a bit earlier, and you should, it was ahead of its time) and System Shock 2, Thief 1 and 2 if you're ok with something a bit slower and less shooty.

The Wheel of Time FPS was surprisingly good, too.

And while I know this thread is mostly PC-focused, Perfect Dark is still the best console FPS ever made if you can dig up a copy (and with modern N64 emulators, you can even get something almost like mouselook).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Reive posted:

That Chasm game does look surprisingly good for a Quake clone, how does it run on modern machines? I'm assuming it doesn't have a source port.
And yes I've played HL (I have the complete Valve pack) and Deus Ex to death as well!

That being said, if you can get your hands on a copy of UT99, you should do it. It is, hands down, one of the best 20-minute-time wasters I can think of (once you have it set up with all of your mutators and mods, that is). There's not much of an online community for it nowadays, but the Bot AI is robust and competent and can really curbstomp your rear end at high difficulty settings. You can run around, giving orders to your AI teammates and running your team like a goddamned general.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Unreal 1's single player is really good, except for the first few maps and the last few maps. As a result, it's hard to get into it and hard to leave it with a good impression. But the levels in between are gigantic and imaginative and absolutely worth playing, it's a great example of a late 90s FPS.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Reive posted:

And yes I've played HL (I have the complete Valve pack) and Deus Ex to death as well!

I bought Chasm: The Rift a loooong time ago. From what I remember, it was a fun game. Its kind of like a 3d Doom, even the engine doesn't allow rooms above other rooms, so be prepared for mazey like levels.

Unreal was also a fantastic game, highly recommended.

I also heard good things about Sin, but I've not played that.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That being said, if you can get your hands on a copy of UT99, you should do it. It is, hands down, one of the best 20-minute-time wasters I can think of (once you have it set up with all of your mutators and mods, that is). There's not much of an online community for it nowadays, but the Bot AI is robust and competent and can really curbstomp your rear end at high difficulty settings. You can run around, giving orders to your AI teammates and running your team like a goddamned general.

Vanilla UT99 is really fun as well. I've spent hours just messing around with the default levels. There's a good mix of regular and gimmick maps for each gamemode, so it's easy to set up a map list where you do things like go from TDMing inside a dungeon to gibbing 8+ bots in a tight arena that only has rocket launchers, then enter a level where your team needs to fight for control of a healing pod in the middle of an arena.

And yeah, I'd recommend Unreal 1 as well. The first few maps are iffy, but the game really starts hitting its stride after you enter the first temple. It also has online co-op, but you have to jump though ha hoop or two to play on the servers that are out there.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Dammit you've all got me to install UT99 again. I haven't really played it since... well, 1999-2000, can anyone point me to some decent maps and mutators?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Samsara has been updated to add support for Strife single player. I really like Samsara a lot, can you tell?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Samsara has been updated to add support for Strife single player. I really like Samsara a lot, can you tell?

I loving love Samsara too. It brings fresh air to an already played iwad just because the different playstyles of each character.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is absolutely true. UT '99 is hands down my favourite arena shooter of all time. Bot AI is really awesome and you can actually see them following your orders and not wander around doing nothing. Unreal and Unreal Tournament are still my favourite FPS ever. Both games are also incredibly easy to play on LAN (I recommend GOG versions so you don't need to run steam) and a blast to play with friends. I love to play with 3-4 friends, set up a huge, hard bot team and play Assault.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Don't forget Unreal 2! Not Return to Na Pali, but Unreal 2. http://www.gog.com/gamecard/unreal_2_the_awakening_se

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Don't forget Unreal 2! Not Return to Na Pali, but Unreal 2. http://www.gog.com/gamecard/unreal_2_the_awakening_se

How could I forget? It broke my drat heart with how mediocre it was. I mean yeah there were parts that looked neat but over all I have no idea what they were thinking. That ending was especially heinous.

Angelwolf posted:

I also heard good things about Sin, but I've not played that.

SiN did not hold up well at all. If I was going to play something from that era I'd go with Soldier of Fortune.

ToxicFrog posted:

gently caress yes it was. And I don't even give a drat about the books, that was just a solid game.

Also everyone should play Blood.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I like SiN because it's goofy. Also because a lot of its problems don't really mean anything nowadays - like how it would sometimes use a few hundred megabytes of space for saves or sometimes just have bad framerate out of nowhere on video cards back in the day.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Seconding the blood suggestion, such a great game.

So i've never played System Shock 2, had the demo, watched the letsplay, where can i get it, do i need to do some tinkering to get it to work, and is there a good source of making it look nicer without it being some contrived and painful install?

For a game this loved, it sure seems like pulling teeth to find. Wanting it Honest looks like it'll cost me the same as a new release. Yeah, dont think i want it that badly. :sigh:

Install Gentoo posted:

I like SiN because it's goofy. Also because a lot of its problems don't really mean anything nowadays - like how it would sometimes use a few hundred megabytes of space for saves or sometimes just have bad framerate out of nowhere on video cards back in the day.

I never played SiN, but i got my hands on a free copy of episodes (with a 3d card i think) which i honestly enjoyed. Not exactly a superb game but some really nice levels. How much is Episodes like SiN?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Shadowmorn posted:

Seconding the blood suggestion, such a great game.

So i've never played System Shock 2, had the demo, watched the letsplay, where can i get it, do i need to do some tinkering to get it to work, and is there a good source of making it look nicer without it being some contrived and painful install?

For a game this loved, it sure seems like pulling teeth to find. Wanting it Honest looks like it'll cost me the same as a new release. Yeah, dont think i want it that badly. :sigh:

I never played SiN, but i got my hands on a free copy of episodes (with a 3d card i think) which i honestly enjoyed. Not exactly a superb game but some really nice levels. How much is Episodes like SiN?

The only place to really get it is buying a boxed copy off amazon/ebay.
If you do manage to get a copy there is a really REALLY great fan patch for darkengine based games (this, thief 2, etc) that not only gives HD resolutions, but updates a bunch of other things and squashes loads of bugs.
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Shadowmorn posted:

Not a lot, really. Sin has more of a Duke 3D feel. Everything's bright and kinda goofy, the weapons feel powerful, the enemies and plot are kinda ridiculous. There's also a few branching paths, as opposed to Emergence's linear storyline; not exactly secret levels, but optional ones, and you can alter some levels by your actions in earlier ones. It also has a level where you have to outrun an erupting volcano on a quad bike.

Emergence... To me, it feels like Ritual thought, "We're making this game on the Half-Life 2 engine, so it should be like Half-Life 2!" It's gritty and serious and dramatic; Blade is almost entirely silent and even JC doesn't have as much to say; they even added an Alyx Vance, or tried to, anyway. I like both games, but... well, as I said, it goes from Duke 3D to Half-Life 2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I never played The Wheel of Time and it looks really cool from youtube videos. Is there any way to get a copy of it? Does it work on win7?

Clive Barker's Undying is an awesome game too and with Win XP compatibility mode and the unreal sound latency fix works flawlessly on win7 x64. Lots of my favourite games ran on Unreal Engine. It was truly amazing back the days. :allears:

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 9, 2013

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Guillermus posted:

Clive Barker's Undying is an awesome game too and with Win XP compatibility mode and the unreal sound latency fix works flawlessly on win7 x64. Lots of my favourite games ran on Unreal Engine. It was truly amazing back the days. :allears:

Undying was... Terrifying. How could I forget about this? Interesting weapons, too. I remember jumping everytime the Tibetan War Canon 'breathed' whilst you had it equipped.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shadowmorn posted:

It's impossible to find because, when Looking Glass went bankrupt, the System Shock IP was grabbed by Meadowbrook Insurance Group and they've been squatting on it ever since. You can bet that EA would put it on GOG in a heartbeat if they could. In the meantime, your only options are ebay or :filez:, unless you can magically find a copy in the bargain bin in your local game store.

If you can find a copy, the fan-patch has already been linked (and replaces all of the fiddling with core affinity and video settings and whatnot that used to be needed to get it working); if you want to automate things even more, SS2Tool will handle the whole thing for you, installing SS2 from disc, installing the official and unofficial patches, making sure you have the right DX redistributables installed, and whatnot.

If you want to get into modding to make it look nicer and whatnot, this is a good starting point - check out Rebirth (models), SHTUP and Four Hundred (object and terrain textures), and SHMUP (music), for starters.

Guillermus posted:

I never played The Wheel of Time and it looks really cool from youtube videos. Is there any way to get a copy of it? Does it work on win7?

I have no idea, but I still have my disc somewhere, so if I can find it I can try installing it and see how it goes.

The game was a lot of fun, although it could have used a bit more enemy variety, and multiplayer had some pretty cool modes, like a CTF-style setup where both teams got a shitload of traps to place before the round started. Most people just seemed to want to play Balefire Sniper Arena, though. :sigh:

quote:

Oh man, I totally forgot about Undying. Add that to the recommendations, that game owned.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

If you haven't played the original Unreal, you should totally get on that.

Chasm: The Rift is a has-been Quake clone from the Ukraine, but the graphics are surprisingly decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLr-nyJZUw

The game itself is also pretty awesome :colbert:

I remember trying to play it again recently, but ran into a lot of performance problems in DOSbox :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You like Brutal Doom but now you don't anymore? TEHN MABYE BURL TUMD IS FRO UYO? iunno

It's more politically correct; it's less grammatically correct.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

vanilla doom is really cool

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Pretty sure more than 128 sprites are displayed here.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Limit removing boom* is really cool.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Kins, is there a way to end the round when all the players in multiplayer Reelism die? Or will there be a way to do that in the next release?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

You like Brutal Doom but now you don't anymore? TEHN MABYE BURL TUMD IS FRO UYO? iunno

It's more politically correct; it's less grammatically correct.
This is pretty fun! Very fast-paced and emphasizes "twitch" gameplay. Needs a little work re: weapon slots, but its a good start.

horse mans posted:

Kins, is there a way to end the round when all the players in multiplayer Reelism die? Or will there be a way to do that in the next release?
I can't disable respawning in ZDoom, to my knowledge. That's why co-op death is currently just a big score penalty.

I'm sure I could do some weird crap to fake a spectator mode upon respawning, but since there's no Zandronum support right now I'm not entirely sure it's worth the effort.

(I know about Zandronum's limited lives mode, but I'm not sure how malleable it is by scripting, or if it just restarts the map after everyone dies.)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's safe to say the Brutal Doom dude has problems.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

You're thinking of Unreal Tournament. Unreal proper has singleplayer (and an expansion, Return to Na Pali).

Other recommendations: Descent, Strike Force Centauri, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Aliens vs. Predator, System Shock (if you're willing to go a bit earlier, and you should, it was ahead of its time) and System Shock 2, Thief 1 and 2 if you're ok with something a bit slower and less shooty.

And while I know this thread is mostly PC-focused, Perfect Dark is still the best console FPS ever made if you can dig up a copy (and with modern N64 emulators, you can even get something almost like mouselook).

That reminds me, Turok 1, 2, and Evolution had PC ports, though I heard the Turok 2 PC port was a complete wreck. I'm trying to find the Evolution copy.

fake edit: Wow, Sgt. Mark actually handled that thread decently.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't want to think about the process of painstakingly creating sprite renditions of corpse photos :stare:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Yeah, I think it's pretty funny that Sgt. Mark took it better than some of his fans.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Yeah, I think it's pretty funny that Sgt. Mark took it better than some of his fans.

English isn't his first language, so he may not have understood that it was such a terrible thing to say. At least that's how I'm rationalizing it.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

English isn't his first language, so he may not have understood that it was such a terrible thing to say. At least that's how I'm rationalizing it.

I was thinking this as well, you'd be surprised by how ignorant a lot of other places are to the connotations of English words/phrases.
No one can say for sure, but it's the only really offensive thing I've ever seen from him, so I can let it slide once.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

After playing that mod I agree, Sergeant_Mark_IV has problems, but not because of this mod. More like because the Burl Tumd maker is butthurt enough to make this. I don't think this is going anywhere but as a joke mod.

editor
Feb 4, 2007

Guillermus posted:

After playing that mod I agree, Sergeant_Mark_IV has problems, but not because of this mod. More like because the Burl Tumd maker is butthurt enough to make this. I don't think this is going anywhere but as a joke mod.

Apologist spotted.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks but no. As much as I like Brutal Doom I've posted about versions I didn't like (like the whole 0.16), real gore stuff and not having Danny Glover on it anymore unless you use the addon. I normally play wads for first time just with beautiful doom or smooth weapons and never complain about "this wad isn't good for brutal doom!". So keep your witty comment for yourself.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Doom mods are serious business.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

The Kins posted:

The original game (Unreal Gold) has a long singleplayer campaign.
It runs fine in DOSbox.

Unreal had the best co-op FPS gameplay I can remember(or at least most fond in my memory). Serious Sam and Painkiller were good but I remember Unreal doing it great.

Edit: does anyone remember Kingpin? Gangster-themed, gritty FPS with insanely foul dialog. I remember not turning up the volume loud enough for my parents to hear on that one.

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 10, 2013

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

ashgromnies posted:

Unreal had the best co-op FPS gameplay I can remember(or at least most fond in my memory). Serious Sam and Painkiller were good but I remember Unreal doing it great.

Edit: does anyone remember Kingpin? Gangster-themed, gritty FPS with insanely foul dialog. I remember not turning up the volume loud enough for my parents to hear on that one.

I remember that gaming having the Quake engine's hilarious texture "swimming" problems, so in close ups on the characters their faces would be crawling around :gonk:

Fun game though.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So there any good mods for the original Unreal, Unreal 2, or UT2004, other then the ones listed for the UT in the second post?

Also am I remembering wrong or was there something like a class based mod with TF classes then crap like Kensai and an OP as hell Wizard?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

xanthan posted:

Also am I remembering wrong or was there something like a class based mod with TF classes then crap like Kensai and an OP as hell Wizard?
That'd be Unreal 4 Ever Fortress.

The canonity of this mod is currently disputed pending a Wikipedia edit/revert war:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS15ARJH7sI

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Unreal 4Ever and Unreal 4Ever Fortress ("U4E" and "U4EF" to people who are cool) are always the first mods I install for UT99, right after I'm done with patches and community packs. For those who may have never heard of it, Unreal 4 Ever is predominately a class/weapon/gameplay mod.

The "classes" are actually 18 or 19 different creatures, like a giant robot, your standard "grey" alien, a sadistic and foul-mouthed teddy bear, and a cockroach. By default, you can use a U4E mutator to make each class radically different: That giant robot might start off with a ton of armor, health, and dual minigun/rocket launchers, but it moves slow as poo poo and everybody will focus on you; the cockroach doesn't have much health or armor, but he can jump extremely high and starts with a sniper rifle/chemical grenades. Most classes also have unique melee weapons: The Golem, in particular, is a beast at hand-to-hand combat, slinging rocks and throwing 'bows. Additionally, the classes are defined by more than simply weapons and health/armor. The Grim Reaper heals by hurting people (and can slowly fly around), the demon heals in lava and has a couple of secret attacks, the cockroach can turn invisible if he stands still for long enough (and might be healed by bio waste), etc. Suffice to say, each class has a ton of character.

Then you have the weapons which are, arguably, the best part of the mod. There are over 50 of them, and the vast majority are creative and multi-functional: Freeze-guns, flamethrowers, drunken-missile launchers, a phaser that can be upgraded with subsequent pickups, revolvers and coach guns, a black-hole-generating "Quantum Singularity Gun", a compound bow with a ton of different ammo-types, even a walking, talking doll that is also a thermonuclear bomb. Each weapon has its own personality, and they're almost universally fun to use. Did I mention, there's a slow-firing sniper rifle that shoots darts that cause the target to violently explode, and it is called the "Fleshbomb Rifle"?

There's another good write-up on the mod's weapons here, with pictures and everything.

Finally, you have the gameplay aspect of the mod--namely, the invasion-style Gateways game. The game spawns a bunch of gates across whichever map you choose. The larger the gate, the stronger it is and the stronger the enemies it spawns are. The purpose is to not only wipe out all of the monsters that come out of the gates, but destroy the gates, themselves. While the game can use Unreal's beastiary, U4E also comes with a bunch of original monsters, which is part of what separates it from the other invasion mods. There are other gameplay modes, as well, including one called "Return of the Living Dead", which (unsurprisingly) involves hordes of zombies.

Unreal4Ever Fortress is an expansion to Unreal4Ever, and it introduced actual classes to the game that encouraged teamwork. There was also a rudimentary RPG and magic system for some of the classes. I don't think this mod was ever completely finished, and seem to recall that there were more ideas in the pipeline that never got hashed out.

Anyway, if you've got UT99 and haven't played this mod--maybe somebody talked you into installing the game but you're still new to the mod scene--you should absolutely make this the first mod you play. The best part is that everything is configurable and modular. You can choose to only play with the models, or classes, or weapons, or game modes. You don't have to use everything if you just want to play "Facing Worlds" with thermonuclear bombs and fleshbomb rifles.

:goonsay:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 10, 2013