Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
On the S2, is there a way to remove the row on the notification bar that has "Sprint", the date, and the clear button? Or to somehow compact it down. I feel like I have no room for notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ZeroAX posted:

Do you guys recommend a screen protector or is it not necessary?
If you can keep it away from quartz (sand) or diamond you shouldn't have problem. Sadly there was some sand of the floor one day ....

ZeroAX posted:

Should I flash CM 9/10?
CM 10.1 is pretty solid. I'd go with one of the recent nightlies or wait for M2 though, M1 is getting a bit stale.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The Entire Universe posted:

Be aware that there are apparently newer versions of the roam-only PRL. I am not sure if they qualify as :filez: due to the hazy legality of getting a contract voided by misrepresenting service conditions (I.e. you aren't in an actual dead zone, you're forcing your phone to roam so you can avoid the ETF when Sprint nixes you)

I use PRL switching because at work, I get exactly enough Sprint signal to make my phone constantly flip back and forth between 1 bar of almost-3G that you can't actually use, and four bars of Verizon roaming. I actually don't want to void my contract, at least not right now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gilok posted:

I use PRL switching because at work, I get exactly enough Sprint signal to make my phone constantly flip back and forth between 1 bar of almost-3G that you can't actually use, and four bars of Verizon roaming. I actually don't want to void my contract, at least not right now.

I use PRL switching because no matter how many bars it's slower than molasses running uphill.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
My contract is up just in time for the Galaxy S4 to come out (beginning of April-ish). Does anyone forsee any issues rooting it and having community support? It's got a Exynos 5450 Quad CPU and I remember reading about some snafu with the Exynos line. I'm coming from an Evo 3D (amazing that mine has lasted so long, from everything I've read on it) so I really don't want to plop down a chunk of change that won't be supported again.

I know it's way too early to tell, I was just wondering if something about the device that stands out as a red flag to people that know more about it than I do. I could probably hold onto my 3D for an extra month or two to see what happens to the S4 but I'm impatient. haha

Edit: as of right now my only hangup with it is that it's huge. 4.99in screen is almost as big as the Note 2.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 8, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Edit: as of right now my only hangup with it is that it's huge. 4.99in screen is almost as big as the Note 2.

Unless you are posting from the future you are talking all about rumors. There is no solid information at all about the S4. Also if it follows the pattern you probably won't be able to get it from your carrier until at least June if not September.

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-rumors-super-amoled-display-production-begin-month-phones-camera-images-reportedly

Wow, those rumors are amazing.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 8, 2013

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

My contract is up just in time for the Galaxy S4 to come out (beginning of April-ish). Does anyone forsee any issues rooting it and having community support?
Assuming such a device hits Sprint with the same SoC, we still don't really know.

The Exynos 4 line is hosed. However, as the Nexus 10 is an Exynos 5 AOSP device, platform support may (needs more emphasis) carry over to other Exynos 5 devices. Or it may not, we don't really know.

In contrast, Qualcomm and TI maintain open source Android ports for Snapdragon and OMAP platforms beyond just those used in Nexus handsets, which is why the North American SGS3 has solid support. Samsung has never done that with Exynos, and despite promising to do so, they have yet to deliver in any meaningful way.

It's something of an anomaly that the original Galaxy S line ended up having decent open source support via the Nexus S, and even then, it was only due to sheer effort to shoehorn in support for other devices.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Stick100 posted:

Unless you are posting from the future you are talking all about rumors. There is no solid information at all about the S4. Also if it follows the pattern you probably won't be able to get it from your carrier until at least June if not September.

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-rumors-super-amoled-display-production-begin-month-phones-camera-images-reportedly

Wow, those rumors are amazing.

Somehow my eyes totally glossed over the fact that all the specs are just rumors. Nevermind then!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Assuming such a device hits Sprint with the same SoC, we still don't really know.

The Exynos 4 line is hosed. However, as the Nexus 10 is an Exynos 5 AOSP device, platform support may (needs more emphasis) carry over to other Exynos 5 devices. Or it may not, we don't really know.

In contrast, Qualcomm and TI maintain open source Android ports for Snapdragon and OMAP platforms beyond just those used in Nexus handsets, which is why the North American SGS3 has solid support. Samsung has never done that with Exynos, and despite promising to do so, they have yet to deliver in any meaningful way.

It's something of an anomaly that the original Galaxy S line ended up having decent open source support via the Nexus S, and even then, it was only due to sheer effort to shoehorn in support for other devices.

Interesting, thanks a bunch. I guess I'll have to wait some more to decide what phone to get.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there any hope that everyone shifting to LTE will someday mean a situation like GSM where a device can be unlocked and used with any old sim as long as the radio bands line up?

E: I know LTE is a descendent of GSM. obviously I can't take my Sprint GNex and roam on Verizon's LTE. Will that ever change for future phones once pre-LTE standards are phased out in a couple decades?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 8, 2013

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Is there any hope that everyone shifting to LTE will someday mean a situation like GSM where a device can be unlocked and used with any old sim as long as the radio bands line up?

E: I know LTE is a descendent of GSM. obviously I can't take my Sprint GNex and roam on Verizon's LTE. Will that ever change for future phones once pre-LTE standards are phased out in a couple decades?

When all the US carriers switch to Voice over LTE, yes. Then they'll be 100% LTE devices and you can just swap SIMs. Whether you'll be able to unlock the phones is another matter.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ender.uNF posted:

When all the US carriers switch to Voice over LTE, yes. Then they'll be 100% LTE devices and you can just swap SIMs. Whether you'll be able to unlock the phones is another matter.

I would imagine that would eventually be grounds for an FCC complaint on the basis of telecoms universal interoperability. Right now they can sort of hide behind CDMA/GSM but once everything is LTE/VoLTE you could feasibly see that regulation gaining cache.

Whether the FCC is rendered fully useless or outright abolished by then is another question. It could take decades to have CDMA phased out in full - see Sprint's iDEN customer base, and they were from a time before literally everyone had a mobile phone. There's obviously slight differences (PTT for example) but in general you're going to have millions of Americans refusing to switch to an LTE phone for all sorts of infuriating reasons.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Well I didn't mention it, but this assumes that moore's law holds and software radio gets small enough, cheap enough, and low-power enough to be used in phones. Otherwise the spectrum is only going to get more fragmented, leading to less interoperability... Barring the government forcing roaming agreements and mandated rates.

Anyway, Approximately 935 updated sites today in: DFW (75), Charlotte (68), Chicago (66), Indianapolis (57), Philadelphia Metro (42), Boston (34), San Diego (34), PR/VI (30), Kansas (26), Shentel (25), Washington DC (25), Austin (23), SF Bay (23), Atlanta/Athens (22), Arkansas (21), New York City (21), LA Metro (20), Mississippi (20), Providence (19), Alabama (18), Southern Jersey (18), Riverside/San Bernardino (16), Raleigh/Durham (15), Miami/West Palm (13), Northern Connecticut (13), Northern Jersey (12), Norfolk (11), South Carolina (11), Southern Connecticut (11), Las Vegas (10), San Antonio (10), Myrtle Beach (9), South Bay (9), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (8), Nashville (8), Oregon/SW Washington (8), Tampa (8), Georgia (7), New Orleans (7), Orlando (7), Gulf Coast (6), Minnesota (6), Central Jersey (5), Upstate NY Central (5), Baltimore (4), Houston (4), North LA (4), Jacksonville (3), Memphis (3), Upstate NY East (3), VT/NH/ME (3), Central Pennsylvania (2), East Texas (2), Long Island (2), South West Florida (1).

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Not as long as Sprint refuses to put LTE simcard slots on their phones.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

td4guy posted:

I'm assuming this doesn't apply to the iPhone 5?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

td4guy posted:

That's fine. Manufacturers will just make one model of every phone, and it'll have a simcard slot.

I hope.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
That LTE rollout :sigh:

I'm starting to think that Delaware is going to be one of the last places with LTE or something. I know they announced plans to roll out LTE in the whole state of Delaware but there hasn't seemed to have been one report of a tower going live from those S4GRU updates.

Not sure if I can blame them because at least where I live, Verizon rules the area.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

NerdsMcGee posted:

I'm assuming this doesn't apply to the iPhone 5?

Correct; one benefit of Apple's domination of the carriers. You'll take the iPhone 5 with SIM slot and you'll like it.

What Verizon, Sprint, etc fought for and got approved was "internal SIM"s, so they can make it non-changeable and burned into the phone. They are addicted to the model of tightly controlling who can connect to their network. No idea if they are still actively pushing this or not. Subsidies are biting them in the rear end a bit, so it's not like they have nothing to gain by letting people bring their own devices.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Ender.uNF posted:

Correct; one benefit of Apple's domination of the carriers. You'll take the iPhone 5 with SIM slot and you'll like it.

What Verizon, Sprint, etc fought for and got approved was "internal SIM"s, so they can make it non-changeable and burned into the phone. They are addicted to the model of tightly controlling who can connect to their network. No idea if they are still actively pushing this or not. Subsidies are biting them in the rear end a bit, so it's not like they have nothing to gain by letting people bring their own devices.

I think they're trying to deal with the opposite problem - people taking their subsidized phones to other carriers.

Apparently the biggest sources of fraud pre-LTE were the world phones with SIM cards. People would activate, unlock and resell the phone, and either vanish without paying or have it turn out the activation was fraudulent to begin with. So Sprint would eat a couple hundred dollars at least.

When the phone only works on one carrier (who can lock out the ESN no less), it prevents most of that.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

TVs Ian posted:

I think they're trying to deal with the opposite problem - people taking their subsidized phones to other carriers.

Apparently the biggest sources of fraud pre-LTE were the world phones with SIM cards. People would activate, unlock and resell the phone, and either vanish without paying or have it turn out the activation was fraudulent to begin with. So Sprint would eat a couple hundred dollars at least.

When the phone only works on one carrier (who can lock out the ESN no less), it prevents most of that.

So then the carriers should share an ESN blacklist for known stolen phones. If nobody will activate it, a stolen phone is therefore useless. Problem solved.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FlyingCheese posted:

So then the carriers should share an ESN blacklist for known stolen phones. If nobody will activate it, a stolen phone is therefore useless. Problem solved.

True, but it's hard enough to get them to work together on ports.

Also, most of the fraudulent phones went overseas, so now you need to get every carrier in the world on board. Considering some of them don't even sell subsidized phones, there's not a lot of motivation.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

averox posted:

That LTE rollout :sigh:

I'm starting to think that Delaware is going to be one of the last places with LTE or something. I know they announced plans to roll out LTE in the whole state of Delaware but there hasn't seemed to have been one report of a tower going live from those S4GRU updates.

Not sure if I can blame them because at least where I live, Verizon rules the area.

Don't worry... you're not alone. St. Louis is nowhere near having any sort of LTE network. It's terrible here.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

TVs Ian posted:

True, but it's hard enough to get them to work together on ports.

Also, most of the fraudulent phones went overseas, so now you need to get every carrier in the world on board. Considering some of them don't even sell subsidized phones, there's not a lot of motivation.

Most ports between the big 4 go through in under 10 minutes. I actually think its the only spot they play nice.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

The carriers actually do share an ESN blacklist. This was implemented last year, I believe, and brought up by various police departments around the country.

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.
This is probably a stupid question, but I've been trying to get more information. How widespread are the 4.2.1 issues with the Galaxy Nexus? I've been checking various forums and I can't determine if it's a vocal minority, or if I have a good chance of my phone turning to poo poo if I hit the Install Now button by mistake.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

The carriers actually do share an ESN blacklist. This was implemented last year, I believe, and brought up by various police departments around the country.

It is not shared or active yet, but Sprint was saying they were working on it when I left and ATT is saying they are working on it, so honestly the blacklist is one area that should be working sometime soon.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Souichiro posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but I've been trying to get more information. How widespread are the 4.2.1 issues with the Galaxy Nexus? I've been checking various forums and I can't determine if it's a vocal minority, or if I have a good chance of my phone turning to poo poo if I hit the Install Now button by mistake.

My first try of the update when I manually installed it when it originally "leaked" (even though it was the exact version that came out officially via OTA) went very poorly. I had a lot of problems with sleep of death and poo poo like that.

I flashed the factory images for 4.1.1 back onto my phone clean, and then a few days after I got the OTA notification and said gently caress it, I'll give it a second chance. This time through, it seems to be working pretty good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ender.uNF posted:

What Verizon, Sprint, etc fought for and got approved was "internal SIM"s, so they can make it non-changeable and burned into the phone.

Verizon LTE phones do not have an internal SIM. It's just Sprint.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
My wife's Galaxy Nexus has started nagging her to install the OTA update. Is there a way to disable that poo poo? The stuff I saw looked like you needed to be rooted, and we haven't done that on her phone...

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Souichiro posted:

I put the OTA on my bone-stock Sprint GNex and couldn't be happier. Everything works perfectly and I think battery life may have gotten a bit better. Same on my wife's as well (same phone).

brc64 posted:

My wife's Galaxy Nexus has started nagging her to install the OTA update. Is there a way to disable that poo poo? The stuff I saw looked like you needed to be rooted, and we haven't done that on her phone...

Uh, OTAs BREAK root, you don't need to be rooted to install a "direct from carrier/Google" update.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

amenenema posted:

Uh, OTAs BREAK root, you don't need to be rooted to install a "direct from carrier/Google" update.

I'm pretty sure that he's asking how to disable the nagscreen, not how to install the ostensibly bug-ridden OTA.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

brc64 posted:

You could do what I did. Try to install it, have it fail then the notification goes away.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

decoy octopus posted:

You could do what I did. Try to install it, have it fail then the notification goes away.

I read some reports about that, but it wasn't clear how to make the installation fail.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

brc64 posted:

I read some reports about that, but it wasn't clear how to make the installation fail.

I would imagine that allowing it to download, but hard rebooting in the middle of the download would do. Just make sure you don't reboot in the middle of the actual installation while it's in recovery, as that's almost a guaranteed way to hose your phone.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

brc64 posted:

I downloaded the file let it install, then it came up with the Android laying down with ! logo so I just rebooted the phone. I don't know what the problem is nor do I care to fix it because everyone has been saying 4.2.1 is bad and I have an upgrade in 3 months

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I haven't had any issues with 4.2.1 in the week since I got it :shobon:

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've ported my number out to GV and canceled my line on my Sprint family plan. Is there an easy way to transfer the Sprint account to my brother's name, the secondary line? He lives in another state, so having us both go to a store is difficult.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

My wife's failed all on its own, maybe its a feature! I started the install, came back a half hour later, and it was booted and identified as 4.1.1 still. :shrug:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I wish 4.2.1 was available for the Note 2 :(

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

thelightguy posted:

I'm pretty sure that he's asking how to disable the nagscreen, not how to install the ostensibly bug-ridden OTA.

Oops, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

blargle posted:

I've ported my number out to GV and canceled my line on my Sprint family plan. Is there an easy way to transfer the Sprint account to my brother's name, the secondary line? He lives in another state, so having us both go to a store is difficult.

Just call customer care.