Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

McPantserton posted:

What table are you at? I'll try and come say hi! Also if you want just do Homestuck anyway. I'm no brony but I'm wearing Nightmare Moon (ponies, for those not in the know) armor to ACen and anybody who doesn't like it can suck my unicorn horn. :colbert: Just because bronies are horrible doesn't mean I should quit making a heinously badass costume.

For sure, some friends and I just did closet costumes and some of the guys taking pics were getting so creepy the con staff had to take them away. We were taken aback for a few then went and did some gym time workout pictures to take our minds off of it. So prepare for creeps but for the most part it's little kids who think you are the coolest thing ever. Which is really kinda adorable.

For me I have a pretty full list this year but the only major ones are finally finishing Sylvanas from WoW, sense I stopped playing the game after Cataclysm I felt less motivated to work on her. The other cool one is Squigly from Skull girls. Who should have come out as playable by now considering they released all of her art back story and what not but she keeps getting pushed back.

Other things I hope to make/complete this year are Sailor V, Ms Marvel, Goddess Nayru from Legend of Zelda, Felicita from La storia della Arcana Famiglia, Sakuya from SAO, Kid, Rin from Now, Stocking from Panty and Stocking, A Yuuko costume or three, and if I can a Guild Wars 2 Necro. It's a massive list but I am excited about it. Hopefully I get at least half of it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You guys are totally nuts, I have no idea how you can plan to do so much. We'll be lucky if we can put together something neat for the Renfaire this fall. It's not exactly cosplay, but its the best opportunity we have to do costuming stuff with a little kid. We can't really take him to a lot of the regular convention stuff because it's not baby-friendly and he'd just get bored/overwhelmed. At least the faire is chill and no one will care if we decide to do something a little fantastical/loopy.

I would love to make some progress on my Rocketeer, but I just never seem to have any time for anything anymore. I'm hoping to finish the mockup of the jacket with the pattern alterations needs to make it look right, and that's about it. Forget getting the actual jacket done.

This post bums me out, so have a picture of our family from the past fair:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My little sister's asked me to help her make this dress for Halloween.

She picked up the pattern yesterday because it was on sale. I'm actually kind of excited about working on this despite my utter loathing of the fabric cutting stage. I'll use some of my stash fabric to make a muslin of the top, though, because the last thing I helped her make was too large in the bust but fit perfectly everywhere else.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, I've always wanted to do cosplay before, but a few things have always held me back. Lack of sewing ability, lack of funds and never being able to pick a character.

The other day, I realized that I could pull off one of my favourite characters. Kanji Tatsumi from Persona 4. I'm a 25 year old, 5'3" woman, and my first cosplay will be as a 6', 15 year old boy with shaved eyebrows.

I picked up some concealer to put on my eyebrows and I managed to find appropriate earrings. All I need is a magnetic stud for the nose piercing, and some appropriate sunglasses that I can paint rainbows on.

I have a friend who does silk screening, and she's going to be making his tank top for me.

I am really super excited about this costume. I may also have to find wide bandages to bind myself, but that shouldn't be too difficult to find. It's also a good excuse to carry a folding chair around the convention, since the characters tends to use one as a weapon. I'll just be using it for seating and posing.

I've also started doing costume nights with some friends of mine. We dress up in a theme and go bar hopping. I first participated last month when we were half-assed Hobbits, and we're going to be doing "effort dwarves" for the movie release in December. I will be Fili, but I have the better part of a year to put together a costume for that.

Next week, we will be doing karaoke dressed as pop stars and I have a decent Michael Jackson costume put together.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 11, 2013

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'm probably going to do Jones (the blonde lady), at ConCarolinas this year. It's just a matter of growing my hair out and finding/making the skirt suit. :effort: If I can talk my girlfriend into being Antimony we'll be more recognizable, but I've had no luck getting her hooked on the comic.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

taiyoko posted:

My little sister's asked me to help her make this dress for Halloween.

She picked up the pattern yesterday because it was on sale. I'm actually kind of excited about working on this despite my utter loathing of the fabric cutting stage. I'll use some of my stash fabric to make a muslin of the top, though, because the last thing I helped her make was too large in the bust but fit perfectly everywhere else.

No offense, but I loathe this pattern. Not because of difficulty or fit (fit looks atrocious, PS) but because the drat thing can't decide what it wants to be. Style-wise it's the most confusing mish-mash of a pattern I've ever seen come out of a major publisher, and I literally own every costume pattern that McCall's, Butterick and Simplicity have published since 2000. It's like the designer wanted to create something historical (labeled Victorian, lol) but decided about five minutes in that it was too much work and oh well, no one's gonna notice anyway!!1! Well, I noticed, McCall's. I loving noticed. :rant:

THAT BEING SAID

It looks hella fun to make and if anyone ever asked me to sew it for them I'd get over myself long enough to do it because big dresses = best times had with a sewing machine EVER (beside corsets and other underpinnings). The lace! The pickups! :frogsiren: You can get really creative and fancy schmancy with it.

I don't know what kind of sewing experience you have, but I've been sewing for oh god, 25 years now and it has only been the last 5 or so that I've really enjoyed cutting fabric. It's a zen thing for me now and I almost enjoy it more than the actual sewing. Maybe it'll get better for you one day!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I don't know what kind of sewing experience you have, but I've been sewing for oh god, 25 years now and it has only been the last 5 or so that I've really enjoyed cutting fabric. It's a zen thing for me now and I almost enjoy it more than the actual sewing. Maybe it'll get better for you one day!

It may also be in part because I don't have a proper cutting table or anything, so cutting means laying everything out on the floor and either fighting with scissor cuts not coming out exactly right, or having to gently caress around with moving my mat for rotary cutting and trying not to slice up the floor. So annoying.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Ashcans posted:

You guys are totally nuts, I have no idea how you can plan to do so much. We'll be lucky if we can put together something neat for the Renfaire this fall. It's not exactly cosplay, but its the best opportunity we have to do costuming stuff with a little kid. We can't really take him to a lot of the regular convention stuff because it's not baby-friendly and he'd just get bored/overwhelmed. At least the faire is chill and no one will care if we decide to do something a little fantastical/loopy.

I would love to make some progress on my Rocketeer, but I just never seem to have any time for anything anymore. I'm hoping to finish the mockup of the jacket with the pattern alterations needs to make it look right, and that's about it. Forget getting the actual jacket done.

This post bums me out, so have a picture of our family from the past fair:

The girl in this picture totally looks like someone I went to college with in southern Louisiana.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
I've managed to join two JoJo's Bizarre Adventure groups at Fanime this year (I'll be Erina Pendleton and Lucy Steel), so I'll have a lot of stuff to do in between now and May. Hopefully I can get started on them this weekend. I don't know if they'll be good enough to post in here, though, since my craftsmanship is certainly not on par with many of the folks in this thread. :shobon:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

I've managed to join two JoJo's Bizarre Adventure groups at Fanime this year (I'll be Erina Pendleton and Lucy Steel), so I'll have a lot of stuff to do in between now and May. Hopefully I can get started on them this weekend. I don't know if they'll be good enough to post in here, though, since my craftsmanship is certainly not on par with many of the folks in this thread. :shobon:

No way, post!

You guys, grad school is killing my costuming. :negative: I'm in my last semester and I'm taking more credits than I usually do to finish up, which will be mega-awesome, but all I want to do is blow off my dumb projects and make armor. Fortunately I started my Nightmare Moon outfit really early so I know I can still get it done by ACen (which is literally the week after I'm finished), and right after that we'll be hitting StarCraft really hard, which I am SO excited for, but it sucks so hard to do homework all weekend and then be like ......couch....... when I know intellectually that I need/want to get costume stuff done. Ugh. I can't figure out what I want to do for the wings, either.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

I don't know if they'll be good enough to post in here, though, since my craftsmanship is certainly not on par with many of the folks in this thread.

McPantserton is right, you should post pictures! Besides, this thread is such a fantastic resource that it deserves to have more new posts than it does.

I will as soon as I have something to show, although right now I might be more adept at using a sewing machine as a weapon of fabric destruction than creating wearable clothing. So far, every practice dress I've made ends up looking like it's designed for a hippo with very peculiar measurements. I'm on the third one, which I'll end up wearing to that 1920s party even though it has flaws. Good news - sparkly ribbon does a lot to hide wretched seams and distract from how I can't size things to fit quite properly yet.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Post!!

McPantserton I am sorry about school eating up all your time, the sooner it's done though the less time you have to divvy up in the future?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I'll say that I can't wait to get out to ACen this year just to see your guys costumes. I've not been able to piece anything together myself, and I already hold myself to such high standards that I feel anything I'd make would look like rear end compared to the stuff in this thread.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I've been commissioned for a couple of things for the Denver Comic-Con but I don't know if I'll make myself anything. I'm sort of interested in doing a "realistic" Disney princess or an Elf or something pretty with a gown.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Xenoletum posted:

I'll say that I can't wait to get out to ACen this year just to see your guys costumes. I've not been able to piece anything together myself, and I already hold myself to such high standards that I feel anything I'd make would look like rear end compared to the stuff in this thread.

Hey I have been were you are, you have to have fun and not care. Besides the artist is always the worst critic. I often times hate my costumes feeling they aren't up to my standards until my friends point out the good qualities I overlook picking out mistakes that nobody will notice.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Hey I have been were you are, you have to have fun and not care. Besides the artist is always the worst critic. I often times hate my costumes feeling they aren't up to my standards until my friends point out the good qualities I overlook picking out mistakes that nobody will notice.

The problem I have is that all my friends /will/ notice the flaws. Two of them are entering WCS this weekend at Katsucon, and another two run CosFu. Oh well, I found something from Sword Art Online that I want to do now, so I might have something after all.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
I think the hard part is over. The scary, mangling-with-the-sewing-machine part, anyway.

I had my husband help me make a DIY dress form over the weekend. It's not super smooth or completely accurate, but it's close enough.

Inspiration: http://www.oohmrsjames.com/1920s-fashion/roaring-20s-1920s-dresses-from-leluxe-clothing/
Gorgeous white dress, fifth image down

My sketch and pattern are a lot less interesting because I don't have that kind of budget or skills.

Sheath dress (too loose, but lucky for me the 1920s were all about dresses that didn't hug curves):

Starting to add the sparkly ribbon (because I can't be arsed to do all the beadwork that the 20s were so fond of:

It's a little puckered around the ribbon, but not so much that I'm willing to undo all that hand stitching and try again.

Edit: gosh darnit, I put in the tiny version but not the linked version.

Mecha Neko fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 13, 2013

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Xenoletum posted:

The problem I have is that all my friends /will/ notice the flaws. Two of them are entering WCS this weekend at Katsucon, and another two run CosFu. Oh well, I found something from Sword Art Online that I want to do now, so I might have something after all.

Aww, I am the one of my friends working to compete in WCS lol. As for SAO who are you planning to do?

Mecha Neko posted:

I think the hard part is over. The scary, mangling-with-the-sewing-machine part, anyway.

I had my husband help me make a DIY dress form over the weekend. It's not super smooth or completely accurate, but it's close enough.

Inspiration: http://www.oohmrsjames.com/1920s-fashion/roaring-20s-1920s-dresses-from-leluxe-clothing/
Gorgeous white dress, fifth image down

My sketch and pattern are a lot less interesting because I don't have that kind of budget or skills.

Sheath dress (too loose, but lucky for me the 1920s were all about dresses that didn't hug curves):

Starting to add the sparkly ribbon (because I can't be arsed to do all the beadwork that the 20s were so fond of:

It's a little puckered around the ribbon, but not so much that I'm willing to undo all that hand stitching and try again.

Edit: gosh darnit, I put in the tiny version but not the linked version.

Oh man I really like the way it's looking with your additions.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I saw Kirito's Knights of the Blood Oath outfit and decided then and there that I would do that outfit. For reference:

There are a few ebays up, but I'm past the point of buying something off of there that I won't know will fit properly. I'd also be aiming to make the two swords he has, and have a good idea in mind of pieces to use to craft that. It'll be my first real project and I have 4 months to complete it.

Looks like a trip to Joanns and Home Depot are in order.

For comparison, here's me as a toolbag:

My hair's considerably longer now, but I can't style it to match Kirito's, so it looks like that'll be a wig. I'll have to shave day-of and multiple times during the day. I also need to find out lengths of the pieces and go from there. Also I'll need to be doing some pattern hunting.

Eldritch BiLast fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 13, 2013

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
That will be wicked I was so torn between who and what outfit to do, then I decided to go with Sakuya.

I couldn't help myself I can't wait to make those shoes.

For Kirito I think the most annoying part will be all that trim I just bought a foot for my machine to do stuff like that for me. Might be something you want to look into.
http://www.sewvacdirect.com/brother-sa109-binder-foot/?gdftrk=gdfV2739_a_7c861_a_7c9636_a_7cbrot_d_sa109&gclid=COy89pqttLUCFcWPPAod8TIAhQ

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 13, 2013

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

LadyRavenWaves posted:

For Kirito I think the most annoying part will be all that trim I just bought a foot for my machine to do stuff like that for me. Might be something you want to look into.
http://www.sewvacdirect.com/brother-sa109-binder-foot/?gdftrk=gdfV2739_a_7c861_a_7c9636_a_7cbrot_d_sa109&gclid=COy89pqttLUCFcWPPAod8TIAhQ

I hope they still make them for an ancient Sears Kenmore machine. I really need something more modern to use.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

taiyoko posted:

It may also be in part because I don't have a proper cutting table or anything, so cutting means laying everything out on the floor and either fighting with scissor cuts not coming out exactly right, or having to gently caress around with moving my mat for rotary cutting and trying not to slice up the floor. So annoying.

This is my sewing table. It's super heavy-duty and folds easily to be tucked behind a door when not in use. Smooth surface means no snagging on fabric unless you ding it with a pair of shears (just sand it out). Fantastic for transporting to parties for beer pong, can comfortably seat eight+ people for Thanksgiving and it's even supported my 130-pound rear end while changing batteries in my 15' high smoke detectors. I've had it for ten years and it's been worth every penny.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Rufus En Fuego posted:

This is my sewing table. It's super heavy-duty and folds easily to be tucked behind a door when not in use. Smooth surface means no snagging on fabric unless you ding it with a pair of shears (just sand it out). Fantastic for transporting to parties for beer pong, can comfortably seat eight+ people for Thanksgiving and it's even supported my 130-pound rear end while changing batteries in my 15' high smoke detectors. I've had it for ten years and it's been worth every penny.

They make tables like that that fold in half as well. I've used ours for at home sewing when I'm not in my studio. It is shorter than I like for most of my cutting needs but it is better than using the floor.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Funhilde posted:

They make tables like that that fold in half as well. I've used ours for at home sewing when I'm not in my studio. It is shorter than I like for most of my cutting needs but it is better than using the floor.

This one folds in half and even has a handle for carrying. They also make eight-footers, but they're not as sturdy.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I have that same table it gets used all the time, my husband and I fight over it at times.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I'd like to make something for myself but I just don't know what would be right. I have a gothic lolita dress I could wear but I would love to do some straight up cosplay. I have such a hard time trying to figure these types of things.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
So is there going to be a cosplay goon meet-up at ACen? I'll be hallway judging this year, so come down and say hi [especially if they stick us in the lower level again].

For those worried about costuming for the first time or who are relatively new to it: anyone worth their goddamn salt is thrilled to see people give it a go. Fresh blood is always good and I've seen some astonishing ingenuity over the years. The costumes we always coo over are the ones made out of love, the ones where you push yourself.

I had to skip Katsu this weekend due to work and not wanting to rush my latest project, Tuned Alita from Gunnm:

This fucker has been an exercise in frustration, since I've never made rigid armour before, not to mention some of these are her body parts and don't follow laws of anything. The breastplate went through five versions, and ended up being foamies sandwiched between two sheets of Wonderflex:

Five darts to get the right curves. Dents and seams were filled in with Bondo 907, then sanded. Battle damage was added with a hot knife, and after a lot of filler primer, the paint job is a bunch of different Rustoleum Hammered colours, then light passes of chrome paint and gold [to simulate sand damage]. Weathering was a combo of green pearl, black pearl, and matte black acrylics, dabbed on and then patted with a make-up sponge.

I just finished the boots last night, and while I initially tried to make them out of Wonderflex, my calves need to, you know, bend, so after eight tries with the poo poo, I went with gunmetal metallic spandex [which I'm also using for the hands and the straps] over headliner foam and then Wonderflex accents:

I have pictures of the bodysuit, but they're all crap, so I'll take better ones. The wig is an Arda Magnum Long with an assload of wefts sewn in for length and fullness:

After this, I'll be making her Damascus blade:

which should be fun since I'm not normally a prop maker.

After this, finishing up Duelist Nanami from Utena, Fenris from Dragon Age 2, and Sailor Saturn, although Saturn may be shoved aside to finish Homura from Madoka or Auxo from Five Star Stories.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
So stitching LED rigs into cloaks. Also I think I may be causing myself to go blind. But I like the effect, not sure if going blind is worth it yet...

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

LadyRavenWaves posted:

So stitching LED rigs into cloaks. Also I think I may be causing myself to go blind. But I like the effect, not sure if going blind is worth it yet...

You might have less of a problem with blindness if you get a more diffused LED. They have a lens inside of them to make them less harsh. LEDs make anything better though!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

UberVexer posted:

You might have less of a problem with blindness if you get a more diffused LED. They have a lens inside of them to make them less harsh. LEDs make anything better though!

Yea I have the switch at easy range so I can turn them off. Though even dimming them I have issues with the color red making me feel queezy. IE when I play games and the zone is red, orange predominantly I get kinda sick feeling after and hour or so. Weird I know but a fact, my eye doctor says it happens to some people so I am not sure if it's the color bothering me or the led. Either way I can flick it off really easy so no worries.

In other news I may have done the most perfect resin cast ever this morning. It has no air bubbles and it's perfectly clear no streaking. Unfortunately it's to large so I will have to sand it also because of the led in it I need it more cloudy so that the light disperses better. *sigh* I would perfect cast when I need it to not be perfect. I will post a pic later.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
So this weekend was Katsucon, and I finished my Tira cosplay in time for it! Here is the first good picture I've gotten of it and my beloved Bifrost :3:

Edit: Found a full length image!

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 18, 2013

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

So this weekend was Katsucon, and I finished my Tira cosplay in time for it! Here is the first good picture I've gotten of it and my beloved Bifrost :3:

I don't know the character but great job on the costume! I love your hoop and wig.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
With C2E2 coming up in a couple months, my friends and I plan to fix up our Justice League costumes from last Halloween. I went as an old-fashioned Batman, since on the whole we were going for a more golden age look. This time, though, I want to make it a little more modern. I'm definitely getting a new belt (because the one in the photo broke) and new gloves.

What else do you guys think I should update to make the costume look a little more modern?

I was definitely considering remaking the cowl, but the one I'm wearing here was really hard on its own and I have no idea where to start if I started over.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Looks like the Ring Blade turned out AWESOME! What did you end up doing for the stained-glass-ish portion?

In other news, I've begun constructing the Night-Sticks (?) for Nighthawk, and have a good blueprint I sketched out for them, but I'd like to add some glow to them for effect. I gotta say, finding room for electronics is a whole another ballgame for me :ohdear:

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

Dr. Platypus posted:

With C2E2 coming up in a couple months, my friends and I plan to fix up our Justice League costumes from last Halloween. I went as an old-fashioned Batman, since on the whole we were going for a more golden age look. This time, though, I want to make it a little more modern. I'm definitely getting a new belt (because the one in the photo broke) and new gloves.

What else do you guys think I should update to make the costume look a little more modern?

I'd tighten up the bodysuit and/or go with a different fabric for it. Matte costumes tend to be considered old-school [because of printing techniques and the cost of paying a colourist], and a lot of old designs are updated by making them, for better or worse, shinier and more texturized. Modern Batman designs also tend to have a very high tech or rubberized look to them, and play with different kinds of black instead of a much lighter gray. An update to the bat symbol would also work.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Bag of Hamsters posted:

This fucker has been an exercise in frustration, since I've never made rigid armour before, not to mention some of these are her body parts and don't follow laws of anything. The breastplate went through five versions, and ended up being foamies sandwiched between two sheets of Wonderflex:

Five darts to get the right curves. Dents and seams were filled in with Bondo 907, then sanded. Battle damage was added with a hot knife, and after a lot of filler primer, the paint job is a bunch of different Rustoleum Hammered colours, then light passes of chrome paint and gold [to simulate sand damage]. Weathering was a combo of green pearl, black pearl, and matte black acrylics, dabbed on and then patted with a make-up sponge.

I really need to see this broken down into more steps. How do you shape those materials? How did you get the weathered metal look? Your work is incredible and literally keeping me awake at night.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I'd tighten up the bodysuit and/or go with a different fabric for it. Matte costumes tend to be considered old-school [because of printing techniques and the cost of paying a colourist], and a lot of old designs are updated by making them, for better or worse, shinier and more texturized. Modern Batman designs also tend to have a very high tech or rubberized look to them, and play with different kinds of black instead of a much lighter gray. An update to the bat symbol would also work.

The bodysuit was the one part I didn't really want to change. I don't mind the matte texture, though I am definitely considering changing the symbol, which wouldn't be very difficult at all. It's just felt and an iron-on stick sheet. I'm mostly looking to make a new cowl, I'm just not totally sure how to do it. I kind of winged the first one and I think that shows.

I think the style I'm most going for is definitely the Batman from the animated series, now that I think about it.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
The Alita armor may be frustrating, but it looks really, really good. Thank you for listing all the things you did to get it to look like damaged metal, I'm definitely going to remember that if I ever do armor (hopefully one day, it looks like a great challenge). I wouldn't have thought of using spandex for the boots, either, but that's a great idea.

Gold star for excellence! I hope my costumes turn out half that well.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Bag of Hamsters posted:

So is there going to be a cosplay goon meet-up at ACen? I'll be hallway judging this year, so come down and say hi [especially if they stick us in the lower level again].

There should be! I don't know what I'll be doing when or when I'll be dressed up as what but I might end up bringing 3 costumes to ACen this year after originally planning for 1. I had started off with the thought that I was going to bring my Hilde SC4 costume, then I started making my Nightmare Moon armor, but then today I was talking to a guy I met at ACen last year and he told me he built an entire new STEEL suit of Khorne 40k armor because we inspired him so much with our group last year. :gonk: Now I feel like I have to bring my 40k costume, too. Gonna be a busy, busy weekend!

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Let's run away together, you and I. We'll dress like Soul Calibur characters together under a silvery tropical moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I have a crafty question. I have a pair of sunglasses that I need to alter for my costume. I need to add some width to the arms so that I can paint little rainbows on the sides. What's a good way for me to do that? Currently, the arms are just wire.

I was looking for a pair of shades that I wouldn't have to alter, but it was hard enough to find the pair that I got. Big aviator frames are mostly what's in style now.