Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

It really bugs me that I can't figure out the firing pattern just by looking at the flames shooting out one bank of the cylinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

However this completely unbalances the engine so it's the only sport bike I know of with a balance shaft.
Triumph 675 :)

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
I don't know if there's a cell phone pics thread anymore but I came back to South Florida for the weekend so of course here's a ridiculous matte gold CLS63 I saw today, it's pretty loving AI

I also saw a Fisker Karma but that's boring, here's a pic anyway

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I Didn't know that! The rsv mille has two if I remember correctly, too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's a 59 Impala regularly parked at the other end of my street. Usually sits in front of their house, saw it in the wild once at Home Depot, but until today I'd never actually met the owner.

15 minutes from home today, I pulled up behind it. Never noticed the LED taillights before either.

Every time I see that car my pants get kinda tight. :allears:

Next time I bump into him, I'll :spergin: try to get more info on it. It's a beautiful car.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I wonder what kind of weird moire-like vibrations an unbalanced triple would produce?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

I wonder what kind of weird moire-like vibrations an unbalanced triple would produce?

The kind every 3 cylinder car does.

Just at 14,000rpm.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
went to another ice racing event yesterday:

I just really like these goggles

It was slightly above freezing so the track was pretty slick, a couple people just cut through the snowbank instead of turning

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Linedance posted:

The most common layout puts each piston 120 degrees apart so that the vertical vibration is damped, but that results in end-to-end lateral rocking. You can put in a balance shaft to damp out that rocking (Daytona 675) and they run pretty smooth. The other option is to put the two outer pistons in unison and the center one in opposition, like some old Laverdas; then your vibration is basically the same as a single-cylinder of 1/3 the displacement. (but not centered around the crankshaft so it's not quite as simple as it sounds)

I really liked the strategy they used in the original Honda Insight, which had a 997cc triple -- the electric motor varied its torque in time with the engine to smooth the output.

Slavvy posted:

However this completely unbalances the engine so it's the only sport bike I know of with a balance shaft. Sounds mind-boggling too but finding a video using my phone is too much effort.

BlackMK4 posted:

Slavvy posted:

I Didn't know that! The rsv mille has two if I remember correctly, too.

A number of older motorcycles with fewer than four cylinders have them. Old british parallel twins (Triumphs, Nortons, etc) use a 360 degree crankshaft with both pistons rising and falling in union and firing on alternate strokes; you get the advantage of a wasted spark ignition but they really shake you up. British manufacturers switched to rubber-mounted engines to fix it. Honda parallel twins used a 180-degree crankshaft instead, which gives a smoother lateral rocking vibration like the 120-degree triple (and the 180-540 power strokes give a bit of a lumpy burble, like a cute baby Harley) but the power delivery is theoretically less even. Kawasakis used a 360 degree shaft and a balancer.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 10, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The Triumph triple's firing order is 1-2-3, and this exacerbates the lateral movement problem.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Aurune posted:

Well, 944s have not exactly had the most impressive record at 24 hours of LeMons. The first one to win was piloted in part by Emanuele Pirro former Audi 24 Hours of Le Mans driver.

If this onboard video of him, casually lapping Road America, periodically checking his watch isn't AI as poo poo. I don't know what is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7LKgyFweg

This is the best LeMons video ever.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

DJ Commie posted:

This is the best LeMons video ever.

I seriously LOVE this track in Forza 4 but his excitement matches mine when driving a D class and slower car on some of those straights.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's amazing. "Hum te tum. Just racing in an endurance race. Better fiddle with my wrist snaps. Who needs two hands on the wheel anyway? Oh, here's a turn *executes perfect series of downshifts and drives the ideal line with as much drama as someone driving to the grocery store* drat, that wrist strap just keeps coming loose. Better fiddle with it some more."

:allears:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I kinda want to check my time versus his in Forza now. That's just a caged 944 more or less, right?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
All this winter weather led me to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5aWAW2hea4

:black101:

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007
Some poor bastard is driving a 25+ year old Italian car through the winter on the Dakota prairie. Has a block heater and everything.

I see gas caps are still hard to find for old Fiats in the Upper Midwest. My dad owned a 128 Sport back in the mid 80s, and someone stole his gas cap. It took him 6 months to find a new one.

Sockington posted:

The 2.3 in your Ranger is based in the 70s Pinto Lima block. They even punched that unrefined mess out to 2.5L.

The 2.3 in the Mazda is a completely different motor.

4cyl Rangers made after mid 2001 have the 2.3L Duratec engine, AKA the Mazda MZR. My brother in law drives a Ranger with one. It feels eager and rev-happy, until you shift into second.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

That's amazing. "Hum te tum. Just racing in an endurance race. Better fiddle with my wrist snaps. Who needs two hands on the wheel anyway? Oh, here's a turn *executes perfect series of downshifts and drives the ideal line with as much drama as someone driving to the grocery store* drat, that wrist strap just keeps coming loose. Better fiddle with it some more."

:allears:

Doesnt it kind of ruin the spirit of LeMons using an actual professional driver? Or am I missing something.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

jonathan posted:

300fps Tire shake gently caress YEAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfJejgODr3E

Most of these are pro-mod which is the quickest class of production car. Basically, It's a real car body with certain parts being actual factory pieces, and working doors, after this you're into funny car which is basically a short chassis flopper with a fiberglass shell.

Pro Stock is the class where certain areas have to remain "stock", like the roof and door skins. IIRC the only regulation Pro Mod has is opening doors, virtually none of the body panels go untouched and they are crafted mostly out of carbon fiber.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jork Juggler posted:

Some poor bastard is driving a 25+ year old Italian car through the winter on the Dakota prairie. Has a block heater and everything.

I see gas caps are still hard to find for old Fiats in the Upper Midwest. My dad owned a 128 Sport back in the mid 80s, and someone stole his gas cap. It took him 6 months to find a new one.

Wow my parents had one of those here in the UK when I was about 3. That was 28 years ago. I'm amazed that thing still runs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Runs? To be honest, I'd expect the engine to be fairly decent. Just not attached to anything.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ultimateforce posted:

I seriously LOVE this track in Forza 4 but his excitement matches mine when driving a D class and slower car on some of those straights.

Now I want to see a Let's Play of Forza 4 that consists entirely of going to the real tracks and driving the balls off of them

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Jork Juggler posted:

More like a 30+ year old :colbert: They quit importing them to the US in 1981 as 1982 models.

And it is truly awesome. I have a soft spot in my heart for the lesser loved Italians :glomp: It's been at least 25 years since I've seen one on the road in the US. Namely because the exteriors turned to dust and the interiors melted.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 10, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't know what would win in a race to destroy a 30-year-old Italian car: rust, or a full-fledged electrical fire. I honestly don't.

It's nice to see one kept up, though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

vintage motorcycle engined one wheelers? gently caress yes.
I spy a DOHC Honda, A DOHC Yamaha, and an SOHC Honda.

Sockington posted:

The 2.3 in your Ranger is based in the 70s Pinto Lima block. They even punched that unrefined mess out to 2.5L.

The 2.3 in the Mazda is a completely different motor.

I have the 2.5L. "Unrefined" doesn't even begin to describe it.
Hell, 'TRACTOR' doesn't even begin...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 11, 2013

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Did a double take when I saw this parked on a Dundee street.. LHD (so not just a panel swap) Saabaru import on UK plates. Must have been quite a rabid Saab enthusiast to import one instead of just buying a WRX. Sorry for the awful photo I was hurrying to pick up my car in the pissing rain after abandoning it last night before getting shitfaced.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have the 2.5L. "Unrefined" doesn't even begin to describe it.
Hell, 'TRACTOR' doesn't even begin...

What's worse is the 2.3L they used in the Tempo. It was completely unrelated to the Lima 2.3L and just as unrefined *and* made less power. Either one at idle would make your nose run and your vision blur. Lots of noise means go fast, no?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

stump posted:

Did a double take when I saw this parked on a Dundee street.. LHD (so not just a panel swap) Saabaru import on UK plates. Must have been quite a rabid Saab enthusiast to import one instead of just buying a WRX.

Eh, maybe someone really liked their car and moved with it. SAABurus are pretty common in the States. Did some work on a euro spec Audi Q7 "s type" the other week. Owner was a complete bitch. *shocker

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Phy posted:

Now I want to see a Let's Play of Forza 4 that consists entirely of going to the real tracks and driving the balls off of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olWCXfwTvhI

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
lovely picture of a gorgeous bike

just my winter beater M5, nbd

there's also a dude at my work who drives a GTR black edition in every day, snow/salt/ice be damned.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

I don't know what would win in a race to destroy a 30-year-old Italian car: rust, or a full-fledged electrical fire. I honestly don't.

It's nice to see one kept up, though.

I saw a gray one for sale on the Fargo Craigslist a few months back, a barn find that had not run in a while. North Dakota is actually a very easy life for a car, with no excessive heat, humidity, dryness, traffic, roads with curves, or haste in driving to wear a car out, and no road salt does wonders. A stubborn, resourceful old farmer with a huge pile of money might have what it takes to fight back against an old Fiat's inclination to vanish into thin air.

There is a strange assortment of rare but not valuable cars around here that show up every now and then. I never, ever saw cars like that growing up in Eastern Minnesota, where the roads run white with salt.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

:stare:

I think you just found my new favorite cause of death.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

One of my buddies shoots a lot of car photos. Most are from Cars & Coffee, the event in Irvine, but some aren't.

Oh, and I found this on google. I (no joke) think it's a composite, but it's still pretty.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 11, 2013

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Which is the last car (by any manufacturer) to have pop-up headlights?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fayez Butts posted:

I'm struggling to think of anything newer than the C5 vette. Lotus Esprit is the only one that comes to mind but I honestly think they're the last. Regulations killed them didn't they?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fayez Butts posted:

They became illegal after like 2001 or whatever the last year of the Pontiac Firebird was iirc.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

They became illegal after like 2001 or whatever the last year of the Pontiac Firebird was iirc.

C5 Vette was produced through 2004.

Edit: Yep, Esprit and Vette: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_headlamps

Edit2: Also, I never realized they were used to circumvent headlight height restrictions. That's interesting.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 11, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Krakkles posted:

C5 Vette was produced through 2004.

Edit: Yep, Esprit and Vette: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_headlamps

Edit2: Also, I never realized they were used to circumvent headlight height restrictions. That's interesting.

Ah, I was under the impression that they were illegal, but according to Wikipedia they're only more expensive... Which means we may see them again :swoon:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Tusen Takk posted:

As far as I know, they are not illegal, just near impossible to get though pedestrian impact safety regulations and aerodynamic alternatives legally exist which are cheaper and more reliable. Also according to wikipedia the C5 vette and the Lotus Esprit had them up til 2004

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Brigdh posted:

aerodynamic alternatives legally exist

I really don't see them making a comeback, at least in the US - the ever-more stringent CAFE requirements effectively killed anything that may hurt aerodynamics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I won't miss pop-up headlights.