Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Deakul posted:

This is literally the first time that I've ever heard this.
Everyone that I know seems that be of the belief that HoMM5 is completely inferior in every way.

I think there are parts of HoMM5 that are actually better than HoMM3, they are both really great games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Deakul posted:

This is literally the first time that I've ever heard this.
Everyone that I know seems that be of the belief that HoMM5 is completely inferior in every way.
I don't get what that would be based on.
It has more versatile character development, the battles have enough tactical depth, the factions are very nicely fleshed out, the music varies from ok to gorgeous, and apart from the cartoony graphics some of the creature designs are pretty cool.
I think HoMM 3 is still a fine, fine game, but apart from the less cartoony visuals I can't see what would make it "completely superior" or anything.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

They could also be comparing the fan patched version, which adds AI fixes and some other things. 3 doesn't have a lot of the improvements like caravans and such.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Interesting, I just may have to check it out then.
I was always put off of it due to the ravenous fans saying how awful it was.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Deakul posted:

Interesting, I just may have to check it out then.
I was always put off of it due to the ravenous fans saying how awful it was.

HoMM 6 got a lot of bad press for simplifying some gameplay and requiring a constant online connection in order to access some single-player features. Might have been that one? 4 was definitely disappointing too.

3 and 5 are the best of the bunch in my opinion. 2 is also fun but it shares so much with 3 that it's more of a nostalgia trip than anything else.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I played Heroes V when it was released and it was a god-awful train wreck of a game. But I have heard the expansions plus some mods made it pretty great. Maybe I should revisit it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

While we're on this topic, I have a itch to play something like Master of Magic, but specifically something that has the RPG elements of MoM. What I liked most about MoM is conquering the most difficult nodes and dungeons in MoM. That part of the game always came first for me, before the competition with the other civilizations. I felt like I had completed a game when I had a god-like stack that had conquered the most difficult nodes, even if I hadn't really done much to the other civilizatoins. The other civilizations mostly just added some urgency since they would bug you if you became completely complacent.

Anything else that has the civ-rpg thing going for it that I might have missed? I have played Age of Wonders 1&2, and liked those but they felt much more strategy game than RPG. Felt the same thing about HoMM2.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
^ Haven't had the chance to play it yet, but goons say it's great: Eador. It's got a megathread, I think, and the graphical overhaul got the OK from Valve a few weeks ago in Greenlight.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
^ Seconding Eador.

It does have a gameplay design aspect that runs contrary, in that it's usually better to rush the opponent's capital as soon as you're able, rather than sit back, conquer nodes and twink your heroes with phat loot. The enemy doesn't sit idle, goes by the same rules, and gets access to stronger and stronger province guards over time, so in most cases the game gets more difficult the longer it runs on. So while there are loads of opportunities to go conquer nodes and raid for best loot, you'd need to put your opponents on the ropes first.

On the upside: multiplayer.

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!
I have a Thrustmaster Hotas X joystick and I'm looking for Combat Flight Sim games that I can play with it, preferably before 2003 because my laptop fan poo poo the bed. Lock On was a no go, and Jane's USAF won't even start for me on Windows 7. Any ideas?

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

BrainGlitch posted:

I have a Thrustmaster Hotas X joystick and I'm looking for Combat Flight Sim games that I can play with it, preferably before 2003 because my laptop fan poo poo the bed. Lock On was a no go, and Jane's USAF won't even start for me on Windows 7. Any ideas?

IL-2 Sturmovik? Fly some fun Russian war planes.

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

Noni posted:

Can you guys please recommend some big-budget PC games from the past 5 years that have gotten low reviews? I want to find some games that have escaped my radar, but that others still enjoy.

To cite an old example, I asked this question half a decade ago and you guys recommended The Bard's Tale, which was ranked at 60-something percent. Now, of course, it's a well-liked mobile game, which makes you guys look like goddamn psychics.

I'll second the suggestion of Alpha Protocol. Probably the best dialogue system of just about any game out there, and some of the most memorable characters (such as Steven Heck, voiced by Nolan North). I still can't understand why it's critical reception was so poor, sure there are a number of technical issues but the game is pure fun to play. I have to say that playing a stealth character makes the game a lot more interesting rather than a guns a blazin' rambo type though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Laughing_Stock posted:

I'll second the suggestion of Alpha Protocol. Probably the best dialogue system of just about any game out there, and some of the most memorable characters (such as Steven Heck, voiced by Nolan North). I still can't understand why it's critical reception was so poor, sure there are a number of technical issues but the game is pure fun to play. I have to say that playing a stealth character makes the game a lot more interesting rather than a guns a blazin' rambo type though.

Everyone I recommend it to gets to the first hacking mission and quits, never to play again :sigh:

Has anyone released a patch/hack that lets you bypass hacking so I can force them to play it again?

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Tagra posted:

Everyone I recommend it to gets to the first hacking mission and quits, never to play again :sigh:

Has anyone released a patch/hack that lets you bypass hacking so I can force them to play it again?

This is me. The hacking seems unintuitive as hell, and I would love to pick this up again if there were a bypass.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Put it on easy. By the end of the game you'll be good at it anyway.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I'm looking for a city-building game kind of like SimCity, but a little less heavy on the simulation. I have SimCity 4 and enjoy it, but usually about an hour in I get tired of micromanaging everything. I also have Cities XL 2012 and ahahahahaha god drat that game is awful. I just want a fun little city game that I can play to chill out and not deal with spreadsheets and meters.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Tyshalob posted:

I'm looking for a city-building game kind of like SimCity, but a little less heavy on the simulation. I have SimCity 4 and enjoy it, but usually about an hour in I get tired of micromanaging everything. I also have Cities XL 2012 and ahahahahaha god drat that game is awful. I just want a fun little city game that I can play to chill out and not deal with spreadsheets and meters.

Tropico 3 has a lot of detail, but you can ignore nearly all of it and just plop down buildings and roads. It's pretty easy even on the default settings and the difficulty is very customizable so you can easily make it into an island city sandbox, and if you get bored of building you can interact with your little brown citizens in lots of interesting ways.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tagra posted:

Level up your hacking a bit to extend the time limit and then it's a cake walk after you get used to it really.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tyshalob posted:

Tropico 4 is probably that chill SimCity you are looking for. There was just a deal on Steam for everything but I think it just expired :(

My question: King's Bounty, Armored Princess, Crossworlds or Warriors of the North first?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Tropico 4 is probably that chill SimCity you are looking for. There was just a deal on Steam for everything but I think it just expired :(

My question: King's Bounty, Armored Princess, Crossworlds or Warriors of the North first?
Crossworlds is add-in for princess campaign, no reason to play non-crossworlds princess.
In plot order it's KB: The Legend, Armored Princess/Crossworlds, Warriors of the North ; but it's not all that related, just minor references.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Crossworlds is add-in for princess campaign, no reason to play non-crossworlds princess.
In plot order it's KB: The Legend, Armored Princess/Crossworlds, Warriors of the North ; but it's not all that related, just minor references.

In addition, the first one, King's Bounty has the funniest writing and plot. It's really long though, I'd suggest just playing through the first two thirds of King's Bounty and then skipping to Crossworlds.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really enjoyed Anachronox, any similar RPGs set in the future? Already played all the Deus Ex/Mass Effect games.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That is a difficult choice, since all 3 games are good in different areas and bad in others.

The funniest and most interesting plot belongs to KB:TL. It however is the most dated, has perhaps the worst difficulty curve and has the least interesting mechanics.

KB:AP or KB:Crossworlds (mostly the same, Crossworlds adds some things) has a better (but still bad) difficulty curve, a lot of interesting new additions and decent writing/plot.

WoTN is in my opinion pretty bad. The only one I didn't finish too. On the plus side it has the best (early game) difficulty curve and balance. On the minus side it is , in my opinion, the most boring one.
You fight Undead a lot, revisit old areas a lot, and basically, if you've played the other 2 games it has almost nothing to offer (in a certain sense, it even has less "stuff" then Crossworlds!).
This is really disappointing since the first couple of hours in the game are new and exciting. But then it becomes a slog and not worth it. It is also ,for me, the buggiest one with the worst translation. At least a couple of quests were impossible to complete...

Basically, if you can only play one them, go for Crossworlds. Relatively well balanced, with a simply huge amount of stuff in it. If you can go for 2, I recommend KB:TL first since going from Crossworlds to KB:TL is harder than the other way around. And KB:TL is a really fun game.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
I'm looking specifically for a Dragon Ball game. I only played the original Budokai when it came out, but I recently I discovered my enthusiasm for the ridiculousness of DBZ and want to play one of the many titles that have been developed for it. Thing is I only want to purchase one game.

So far after looking elsewhere I've gathered that Tenkaichi 3, Budokai 3, and Raging Blast 2 are good picks. Thoughts? What makes these titles good? note: I'm in this more for the Dragon Ball experience than anything, so lots of characters are good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr Tasty posted:

So far after looking elsewhere I've gathered that Tenkaichi 3, Budokai 3, and Raging Blast 2 are good picks. Thoughts? What makes these titles good? note: I'm in this more for the Dragon Ball experience than anything, so lots of characters are good.

Tenkaichi 3 has around 100 characters including transformations and fusions, if I remember right. It's also pretty drat fun. Budokai 3 is good too, though a bit more technical. I couldn't stand Raging Blast 2 at all.

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

I've used a mouse+kb for all PC titles but just caved and got a gamepad to play Dark Souls with, what other PC titles (ports or no) are better played with a gamepad?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Machado de Assis posted:

I've used a mouse+kb for all PC titles but just caved and got a gamepad to play Dark Souls with, what other PC titles (ports or no) are better played with a gamepad?

I prefer gamepad for Batman Arkham City, and surprisingly for XCOM:EU too.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm looking for some recommendations in the Space Strategy genre.

Specifically I'd be interested to hear some goon reviews on the following games that I'm looking at:

Sins of the Solar Empire
Sword of the Stars
Sword of the Stars II
Star Wolves
Starpoint Gemini
Endless Space
Stellar Impact
Star Ruler
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Gratuitous Space Battles

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

-Blackadder- posted:

Specifically I'd be interested to hear some goon reviews on the following games that I'm looking at:

Sword of the Stars - became decent 4x strategy after all patches and expansions
Sword of the Stars II - still horribly broken apparently, avoid
Star Wolves - very indie and very Russian RTS/RPGs, you control one capital ship (and handful of fighters) in external view, fly around, do missions and kill stuff
Endless Space - a 4x good in both content and looks, it's worth to get it

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Tenkaichi 3 has around 100 characters including transformations and fusions, if I remember right. It's also pretty drat fun. Budokai 3 is good too, though a bit more technical. I couldn't stand Raging Blast 2 at all.
Seconding this. Tenkaichi 3 is pretty much playing the show, and it had pretty much anyone from the shows/movies who fought and had a name (and there are even some generic Frieza henchman too).

v And Goku's dad too, and Nappa/Raditz in Ape Form.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 13, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Seconding this. Tenkaichi 3 is pretty much playing the show, and it had pretty much anyone from the shows/movies who fought and had a name (and there are even some generic Frieza henchman too).

And King Vegeta :swoon:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm assuming the only reason Distant Worlds isn't on there is because you've played it to death, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, played it to death again, and still want to play another space strategy game.

Sins of the Solar Empire - great fast paced action RTS/4X. Best in MP.

Sword of the Stars - old Total War style gameplay - TBS with RTS battles. Still lots of goons playing.

Sword of the Stars II - nope.

Endless Space - Great looking, easy to get into. A bit light on if you're looking for something more complex.

Star Ruler - Made by goon Firgof. Cool to mess around with if you like to min/max stuff.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident - You haven't played this!

Gratuitous Space Battles - More of a action game than a strategy game.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The Mrs. is a massive fan of a couple of games. Firstly The Sims, she's a loving nut for it - writes mods, creates her own world etc. But after years of dedicated non-stop action, she's bored of it and fancies a change. She is a huge fan of Limbo and World of Goo - she's finished both of them multiple times - and played Plants vs. Zombies obsessively when she found the time too. She like strategy games and atmospheric games and also platformers.

Essentially, I'm at a loss of what to recommend for her. I told her about those games previously mentioned but my knowledge of indie games like that doesn't extend very far. She couldn't get into Braid no matter what I tried, but as I say, she is happy to play World of Goo and Limbo to completion every day for a month if the mood takes her.

So what games are new and hip like those that she might like?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Deadlight plays a lot like Limbo with zombies, but obviously has your typical gritty zombie atmosphere and scenario, which may or may not be her kind of thing I suppose.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Plavski posted:

The Mrs. is a massive fan of a couple of games. Firstly The Sims, she's a loving nut for it - writes mods, creates her own world etc. But after years of dedicated non-stop action, she's bored of it and fancies a change. She is a huge fan of Limbo and World of Goo - she's finished both of them multiple times - and played Plants vs. Zombies obsessively when she found the time too. She like strategy games and atmospheric games and also platformers.

Essentially, I'm at a loss of what to recommend for her. I told her about those games previously mentioned but my knowledge of indie games like that doesn't extend very far. She couldn't get into Braid no matter what I tried, but as I say, she is happy to play World of Goo and Limbo to completion every day for a month if the mood takes her.

So what games are new and hip like those that she might like?

Maybe Terraria? It looks like a 2D Minecraft, but its really much deeper than that. It might do if she likes action platformers and sandbox/building. Plus you can coop.

Other than that, maybe try Solar 2, Osmos, Closure, Vessel, and Waking Mars. Also maybe Tropico.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Weird question here.

Okay, so I've never played a sports game in my life. I don't like or follow professional sports. But I find myself sorta intrigued by the idea of some of the sports management games, as I do like complex strategy/building/management games. They seem like they'd have an interesting mix of light rpg/stat building, economic management, strategy layer, and campaign play. All those things appeal strongly to me. What I'm thinking is I don't like Caribbean dictatorships, but Tropico is fun, and I don't like going to the hospital, but Theme Hospital is fun, so are any of these games really fun as games even if you're not a fan/follower of the sport?

Like, I don't even know the rules of soccer/football, so is there fun to be had with a game like (for example) Football Manager 2013? Or are these sorts of games primarily for fanatics for a given sport in the way a game like Train Simulator is primarily for those who fetishize locomotives? :shobon:

EDIT: And if so what would be a good, fun entry game?

EDIT EDIT: I'm picturing Monster Rancher, but with a horde of sweaty men kicking things around instead of dinosaurs fighting fairies.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 14, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know sports games very well either, but from what I've heard, the Football Manager series is basically the pinnacle when it comes to sports management games, for good or for ill.

I suppose it's not a "proper" sports game, but I find Blood Bowl to be a hell of a lot of fun. It's got all those aspects you mentioned, so in that sense it's a lot more sports game than it is anything else. Plus you get to have both sweaty men kicking a ball around AND dinosaurs fighting faeries.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know sports games very well either, but from what I've heard, the Football Manager series is basically the pinnacle when it comes to sports management games, for good or for ill.

I suppose it's not a "proper" sports game, but I find Blood Bowl to be a hell of a lot of fun. It's got all those aspects you mentioned, so in that sense it's a lot more sports game than it is anything else. Plus you get to have both sweaty men kicking a ball around AND dinosaurs fighting faeries.

Mmmm, yeah, I was sorta looking at that too, although I heard the single-player isn't very hot and you really want to play multi. I'm not big on multiplayer, really.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
A lot of the hardcore players don't like the AI, but honestly I don't think it's so awful. A real player will be a lot more interesting but if you're just looking to play the game casually the AI is competent enough on medium difficulty (oddly enough it's actually worse on hard because of how they decided to design it. Medium is the only difficulty worth using).

Don't use the real-time mode though. It's just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Sins of the Solar Empire
Sword of the Stars
Sword of the Stars II
Star Wolves
Starpoint Gemini
Endless Space
Stellar Impact
Star Ruler
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Gratuitous Space Battles

I love Endless Space. I can appreciate that the hands off nature of the combat might not to be to everyone's taste. But for the me the empire management part of is as addictive and enjoyable as Master of Orion was.