Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Accordion Man posted:

Performing critical hits get you the most points and are more important than time. It's easy to get it once you realize how the scoring works.

Also: Be ludicrously careful about not missing. Even with the SMG, a bullet off-course wrecks your score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Can we get a compiled list of all of the glowing retrospectives from reviewers that panned it?

Also, I'm curious about some of the old pre-order bonus weapons. Were they only available on the console versions? I know there's not really a chance of a modding scene with this game due to engine limitations, but things along these lines usually turn up inside of a few months.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

HOLY gently caress JUST FINISHED IT AND

OMFG ALBATROSS. OMFG, MINA. OMFG, SCARLET. OMFG, TWISTS EVERYFUCKINGWHERE.

So, I need to ask - something like an "optimal playthrough" is completely off the table, I'd wager? I know there is A LOT of stuff that I did not see, but I want to know if the game changes parameters every-loving-time. Like, if I did not befriend Scarlet, someone else would have been the assassin at Taipei?

And where the gently caress was Westridge at the endgame? Why trying to get Madison and Mina to safety led to their deaths in my case? What the hell is G22? Could I have deceived Leland at the end if I haven't punched him in THE FACE? Steven Heck: ultimate secret agent or the craziest psycho ever? FUCKTON OF QUESTIONS DAMMIT

Seriously. I haven't had this much fun with a narrative since ME2 (and I have Witcher 2 in my backlog), and considering the ridiculous amounts of twists and content that I did not see, this one is going to be replayed for a fair bit. So, thanks, goons. :allears:

Time for a ballin' outta control Jack Bauer veteran run. :getin:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think there's an "optimal" ending so much as a completely loving destroy Halbech verus set Halbech up for yourself so you basically control the world. Lot of variance in them - did you listen to the credits debriefings?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Transmetropolitan posted:

HOLY gently caress JUST FINISHED IT AND

OMFG ALBATROSS. OMFG, MINA. OMFG, SCARLET. OMFG, TWISTS EVERYFUCKINGWHERE.

So, I need to ask - something like an "optimal playthrough" is completely off the table, I'd wager? I know there is A LOT of stuff that I did not see, but I want to know if the game changes parameters every-loving-time. Like, if I did not befriend Scarlet, someone else would have been the assassin at Taipei?

And where the gently caress was Westridge at the endgame? Why trying to get Madison and Mina to safety led to their deaths in my case? What the hell is G22? Could I have deceived Leland at the end if I haven't punched him in THE FACE? Steven Heck: ultimate secret agent or the craziest psycho ever? FUCKTON OF QUESTIONS DAMMIT

Seriously. I haven't had this much fun with a narrative since ME2 (and I have Witcher 2 in my backlog), and considering the ridiculous amounts of twists and content that I did not see, this one is going to be replayed for a fair bit. So, thanks, goons. :allears:

Time for a ballin' outta control Jack Bauer veteran run. :getin:

The 'parameters' as you call them will be the same each time. The assassin will be the same person each time. However, I guarantee you that there are secrets about several characters that you do not know, and that will blow your mind all over again when you finally discover them. This game isn't going to trick you by changing information, it's going to trick you by hiding that information and characters outright lying to you for their own self-interest. There's always more to discover about the characters in this game, and how you treat them will change tons about your playthrough even if their own information doesn't change.

About your Mina question: When you are fighting your way through the Greybox at the end of the game and get stopped in a room while Leland shows you Mina tied to a chair and says she's going to die, there are TWO DOORS in that room. One is ahead of the door you come in, and has the main screen of Leland roughly above it. Going through this door will progress the mission, but Mina will die. There is another door to your left with a screen showing Mina above it. Going through this door will lead to Mina, but may piss off your current handler if they need your help at the time and you make them wait in order to go save someone they don't like. You can then return to that room and go through the other door to progress with the mission, having tended to Mina.

Most people don't realize the two doors dilemma, and just rush straight ahead since legitimate branching paths are rare in AP missions.

There are also about ten different 'main' ways to end the game, even ignoring the small things that will change each time, and you owe it to yourself to see them all. You can also see multiple ones on each playthrough if you're willing to reload your saves (especially from the last safehouse) and replay the final mission making different choices. I've played through this game four or five times but I've seen about a dozen endings by doing this.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
The newsreels that play over the credits at the end change from playthrough to playthrough as well. I didn't know that for the longest time.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Could I have deceived Leland at the end if I haven't punched him in THE FACE?

Not only is that possible, it's also one of my favorite videogame endings of all time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hannibal Smith posted:

Not only is that possible, it's also one of my favorite videogame endings of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-NRkXNa5o4

Spoilers but this is The Ending. :smug:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sorry but it's missing what is legitimately one of the game's best lines:

Leland: Well you're kinda dumb, telling me all this right after you gave me all the evidence.

Thorton: Oh, did I give you the evidence? I thought I gave you one of my mines. :smug:

Leland: :aaa: *boom*

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
They also added some godawful background music in there.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

vyelkin posted:

good stuff

Aha, thanks mate. I wasn't sure because it got to a point that I felt that the game was trying to cross me at every single moment (that is A Very Good thing).

Hannibal Smith posted:

:stare:

This. Game.

---

Whoever of you that played through back then when it was released must feel pretty vindicated with the whole cult hit this is getting, no? I mean, the original Deus Ex vibe resonates pretty drat strong here, particularly after reading some of the retrospectives recently posted here.

This was the first RPG that I have played properly since the infamous ME3 5-last-minutes clusterfuck. So yes, Obsidian, I forgive the stupid mouse sensivity and I am now really looking forward to Project Eternity :allears:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Transmetropolitan, you're warming my heart.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Aha, thanks mate. I wasn't sure because it got to a point that I felt that the game was trying to cross me at every single moment (that is A Very Good thing).

:stare:

This. Game.

---

Whoever of you that played through back then when it was released must feel pretty vindicated with the whole cult hit this is getting, no? I mean, the original Deus Ex vibe resonates pretty drat strong here, particularly after reading some of the retrospectives recently posted here.

This was the first RPG that I have played properly since the infamous ME3 5-last-minutes clusterfuck. So yes, Obsidian, I forgive the stupid mouse sensivity and I am now really looking forward to Project Eternity :allears:

Honestly, I'm going to say its both yes and no. Yes, because I'm glad AP is getting the recognition it deserves, loving finally. And no, because it's a little too late for it too any good.

Yes, the game has plenty of warts. But I think AP is the kind of game that you'll look past most of the negatives to get into the great positives. And underneath those negatives is a fantastic game that SHOULD have gotten more support from the gaming media. Instead, most sites shat all over it.

So yeah, as an early adopter of AP, I'm glad it's getting recognized. But gently caress, am I pissed we'll never see an AP2. :(

[After playing through Godfather Wii, I'll jump back into AP again. gently caress, I love the shotguns and street sweeper power in that game. :D)

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Reading through the Release thread certainly is interesting. The first impressions are mostly a flood of people complaining about lack of polish and hating their first play-throughs with a few people enjoying it inbetween. I'm up to page 18 and people are already talking about how much fun it is to go through the second time. I can't wait until I get to the "Holy poo poo you can do what??" parts.

I love this post:

Spaz Medicine posted:

This game is a lot better than people are saying. Its not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but, after a few missions, when you get used to the jankiness and the fact that you're not going to be able to stealth your way through everything, it's way more fun. There is a lot that could be improved, but the gameplay does its job as something pretty fun to do between conversations just fine.

I'm having a lot of fun with the story. All the e-mails and news reports give me a Deus Ex vibe. I wish more games had that kind of fluff.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey guys. By any chance, do you know how to edit skill points? Since I am now interested in just trying different outcomes and see how the story pans out...

(plus I am trying to develop a James Bond gimmick build too for laughs)

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
Cheat Engine works for that. When you get to a level up screen, start Cheat Engine, select the Alpha Protocol process, search and change the remaining skill points value until you get the specific address, and then change the value to your liking.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Connoisseur posted:

Cheat Engine works for that. When you get to a level up screen, start Cheat Engine, select the Alpha Protocol process, search and change the remaining skill points value until you get the specific address, and then change the value to your liking.

Thanks a lot. :)

Also, does the veteran attitude carry outside the intro? Veteran Thorton is just... :allears:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Thanks a lot. :)

Also, does the veteran attitude carry outside the intro? Veteran Thorton is just... :allears:

Not particularly, although it does come up at some points for Thorton to go "hold up, let me easily solve this difficult situation with quick thinking and badassery".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I like it when you do this variation but have killed off everyone but Heck. When Thorton starts naming his list of allies, all he says is "I've got Steven Heck" with that stupid smirk. Leland's face looks the same, but now it has this awesome air of "did I just get taken in by this guy? I really suck". I burst out laughing.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Ravenfood posted:

I like it when you do this variation but have killed off everyone but Heck. When Thorton starts naming his list of allies, all he says is "I've got Steven Heck" with that stupid smirk. Leland's face looks the same, but now it has this awesome air of "did I just get taken in by this guy? I really suck". I burst out laughing.

The other interp of that scene is that Heck is actually not who you think he is, and that look Leyland gives could imply that Heck is playing you.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Connoisseur posted:

There's also a config file that controls how many AP you get per level. Know that the difficulty scales based on how many skill points you have assigned. So, if you do cheat yourself a bunch of skill points, the game becomes really really hard.

Dec 26, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

The other interp of that scene is that Heck is actually not who you think he is, and that look Leyland gives could imply that Heck is playing you.

Yeah, having been given that suggestion I really can't see that expression/scene any other way.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I still really like the interpretation that Heck is just an actual crazy person who's become a major player in espionage circles from his ability to get results and because fate has a sense of humor. Somewhere in the US, there's a Mrs Heck who has moved on with her life, but sometimes catches herself wondering what really happened to her husband on their vacation to Taiwan...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I also like the interpretation where Heck is actually the one behind the curtain, it seems ridiculous until you realise he knew everything you were planning in Taiwan before you did it, and ENDGAMEknew about Scarlet

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So is there any word of AP2 or some spiritual successor? It didn't seem to be the case 600 posts ago, and google doesn't turn up anything very reliable. I'd really love more of this game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Avocados posted:

So is there any word of AP2 or some spiritual successor? It didn't seem to be the case 600 posts ago, and google doesn't turn up anything very reliable. I'd really love more of this game.

Obsidian are tied up with Project Eternity at the moment, but maybe they'll revisit it after. Sega owns the rights to Alpha Protocol though so at best we'd see a spiritual successor.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Two Finger posted:

I also like the interpretation where Heck is actually the one behind the curtain, it seems ridiculous until you realise he knew everything you were planning in Taiwan before you did it, and ENDGAMEknew about Scarlet

It also explains why Leland seems to know who he is and why Heck claims to be a government agent but doesn't seem to be on anyone else's files.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Even if he was working an angle, Heck honestly seems like a guy who would switch sides to whoever he liked best on a whim. When he doesn't like you anymore, well, then you're drinking laundry soap. Even if he's a major puppet master, he'll change his plans for a more amusing puppet.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I haven't read any of the spoilers on this page, so maybe it's explained in those, but
I get Heck to -10 rep, and at the end of Taipei, he ...doesn't give me up as Sung's assassin. So either he's got something much worse planned for me later on, or the game is like buggy or something, because in a different playthrough where I had -6 rep with him, he did give me up.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Mymla posted:

I haven't read any of the spoilers on this page, so maybe it's explained in those, but
I get Heck to -10 rep, and at the end of Taipei, he ...doesn't give me up as Sung's assassin. So either he's got something much worse planned for me later on, or the game is like buggy or something, because in a different playthrough where I had -6 rep with him, he did give me up.

He won't give you up unless you've already unlocked SIE or Albatross as a handler for the final mission, no matter how bad your rep is. Otherwise, you could end up without a handler.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sam. posted:

Otherwise, you could end up without a handler.
And that would be a terrible shame - having your final triumph over every force that tried to manipulate you take place without a voice in your ear telling you what to do.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Just a question regarding attitudes: is just me or Suave is only supposed to be like James Bond instead it fails horribly every time? Or, when you are playing like that, you are supposed to be a manipulative mastermind and only occasionally set up some wisecracks?

(also must say that I immediately finished the game and I am replaying it again and there are lots of new things and it is great woo)

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Suave is only supposed to be like James Bond instead it fails horribly every time?

This is accurate. I think someone earlier in the thread put it that Suave is the Sterling Archer simulator option.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Suave is what a 20-something super secret agent thinks is suave.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Suave is good if you want Thornton to be the exact opposite of suave. Just like in real life though, a little bit of suave can get you a long way.

Seriously though, the amount of times I've chosen the suave option and thought to myself "Oh my god Thornton that is the worst possible answer in the universe" is innumerable.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Suave is what a 20-something super secret agent thinks is suave.

Which is exactly why it's the only way to piss off one character so much that you can fight him to the death.
The poor guy is sitting there going 'come on, really?' with every new snark to come out of your mouth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Just a question regarding attitudes: is just me or Suave is only supposed to be like James Bond instead it fails horribly every time? Or, when you are playing like that, you are supposed to be a manipulative mastermind and only occasionally set up some wisecracks?

(also must say that I immediately finished the game and I am replaying it again and there are lots of new things and it is great woo)

Suave is meant to be how real life people would actually respond to a secret agent snarking up the place like James Bond pre-Daniel Craig. It turns out people don't actually like it when you're an incredibly sarcastic douche who hits on everyone constantly and only ever says inappropriate things, and the characters in this game respond that way.

The writers of this game tried to model the three dialogue trends after the three 'JB's: James Bond, Jason Bourne, and Jack Bauer. Being Obsidian, though, they didn't make it so all three are equally viable all the time, because that's not how the world works. Instead, certain approaches are better for certain situations, and certain people will respond better or worse to certain styles. For example, even though many people react negatively to 20-something Thorton trying to be suave, there is a certain character who will actually be actively hostile and/or obstructive if you are too businesslike with them, and prefers you to joke around and show that you have a human side.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Angela Christine posted:

Even if he was working an angle, Heck honestly seems like a guy who would switch sides to whoever he liked best on a whim. When he doesn't like you anymore, well, then you're drinking laundry soap. Even if he's a major puppet master, he'll change his plans for a more amusing puppet.
Steven Heck is a fantastic character precisely because there's just no way to ever be sure exactly what his deal is. He's one of the best utterly ambiguous characters I've ever seen.

Not like Wen. No, sir, not like Wen at all.

Try playing the game as nothing but Suave Thorton. A great number of people end up hating you and it's utterly fantastic.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

theshim posted:

Steven Heck is a fantastic character precisely because there's just no way to ever be sure exactly what his deal is. He's one of the best utterly ambiguous characters I've ever seen.

Not like Wen. No, sir, not like Wen at all.

Try playing the game as nothing but Suave Thorton. A great number of people end up hating you and it's utterly fantastic.

Some even come around to liking your horrible one liners. Except that Albatross from G22. I remember his seething hatred. I also liked him too, so seeing his disapproval after being great friends with him previous playthroughs was scathing. Thorton is a lovable trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Avocados posted:

Some even come around to liking your horrible one liners.

I love that a Mina that likes you will often banter back with you, while a Mina who hates your guts will either ignore your comments or else give you a bitter comeback.

• Locked thread