Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
i was equivocating on the term, you caught me

it's axioms all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
naive set theory is good enough for most things imo

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

FamDav posted:

graph theory is p cool and a lot of it is fairly intuitive.

this is a p good book but kinda expensive so maybe find a library or something?

i think rotor or someone posted this book and its heck of cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486247759/

been meaning to pick it up myself but havent gotten around to it.

was it someone here who linked a linear algebra book that taught it "the right way" by teahching determinants last? trying to remember the name or where i heard about it. linear algebra was interesting but i took it in a summer semester and the pace was brutal and i didnt retain as much of it as id like.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FamDav posted:

now i seriously have no idea what you were and are getting at, besides your weird idea of truth.

truth is beauty; beauty truth

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
axiom
axioff

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Jonny 290 posted:

also graph theory interests me too, i read up on that a little bit the other day

guess what

graph theory naturally extends itself to analysis via linear algebra methods

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

jooky posted:

i think rotor or someone posted this book and its heck of cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0486247759/

been meaning to pick it up myself but havent gotten around to it.

was it someone here who linked a linear algebra book that taught it "the right way" by teahching determinants last? trying to remember the name or where i heard about it. linear algebra was interesting but i took it in a summer semester and the pace was brutal and i didnt retain as much of it as id like.

well the issue is that teaching it the right way and teaching what engineers need to know are two different things :(.

also for a p cool book that i think is insanely interesting is http://www.amazon.com/Matrix-Undergraduates-Student-Mathematical-Library/dp/0821837850/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220753197&sr=8-1

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

Hhey scrubs here's a challenge problem. Harry and Sally are going to play a game where they split up a Hershey Bar. The Hershey Bar has 5x5 sections, with little indentations as the grid lines. Every turn, they break some part of the bar along a grid line. They have to go horizontal or vertical the entire way across, so they can't turn corners or whatever. Whoever breaks off a piece in such a way that there are no more breaks to make is the winner. But. If Harry is the starting player, then Sally has a guaranteed winning strategy. What is it?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh i think i know this one

the punchline is sexism, right

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Werthog 95 posted:

oh i think i know this one

the punchline is sexism, right

it's certainly not your post

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
just keep squaring it off, duh

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

FamDav posted:

just keep squaring it off, duh

does not indicate satisfactory knowledge of the answer to the question

quote:

If Harry is the starting player, then Sally has a guaranteed winning strategy. What is it?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

horse mans posted:

does not indicate satisfactory knowledge of the answer to the question

if you start with a 5x5 square and harry converts it to a 5xY rectangle, then sally can convert it to a YxY square where Y < 5. repeat until harry is left with a 1x1 square which means he fails and you succeed.

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
when you break it in two what becomes the broken-off part and what remains?

(it's a metaphor)

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

When a part is broken off it still counts as part of the bar. So if you break it into a 3x5 and a 2x5, you still have the gridlines of both pieces to worry about still. That's important sorry

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
mathematical truth is a phantom and hoax btw

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
oh fine then to break a chocolate bar of dimensions NxN into N^2 individual pieces you require (N+1)(N-1) breaks. since 5 is odd it will require an even number of breaks.

oh actual if N is the total number of chocolate squares it takes N-1 breaks. so yeah, winning strategy is to play

FamDav fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 12, 2013

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

FamDav posted:

if you start with a 5x5 square and harry converts it to a 5xY rectangle, then sally can convert it to a YxY square where Y < 5. repeat until harry is left with a 1x1 square which means he fails and you succeed.

if the broken off pieces were discarded as we originally thought this wouldnt work

harry: 5x5 -> 5x4

sally: 5x4 -> 4x4

harry: 4x4 -> 4x3

sally: 4x3 -> 3x3

harry: 3x3 -> 3x2

sally: 3x2 -> 2x2

harry: 2x2 -> 2x1

sally: 2x1 -> 1x1

sally loses

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

if the broken off pieces were discarded as we originally thought this wouldnt work

harry: 5x5 -> 5x4

sally: 5x4 -> 4x4

harry: 4x4 -> 4x3

sally: 4x3 -> 3x3

harry: 3x3 -> 3x2

sally: 3x2 -> 2x2

harry: 2x2 -> 2x1

sally: 2x1 -> 1x1

sally loses

but the winning condition is the case where you have left the other player with no more moves. sally just won in your example

FamDav fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 12, 2013

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
"Whoever breaks off a piece in such a way that there are no more breaks to make is the winner"

like how can it be any more clearer

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shameproof posted:

Hhey scrubs here's a challenge problem. Harry and Sally are going to play a game where they split up a Hershey Bar. The Hershey Bar has 5x5 sections, with little indentations as the grid lines. Every turn, they break some part of the bar along a grid line. They have to go horizontal or vertical the entire way across, so they can't turn corners or whatever. Whoever breaks off a piece in such a way that there are no more breaks to make is the winner. But. If Harry is the starting player, then Sally has a guaranteed winning strategy. What is it?

gordian solution: eat the chocolate.

Shameproof
Mar 23, 2011

good attempt everyone. The answer is that since there's 25 pieces and each break makes a new piece, both players can just break it however and then Sally wins.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

what if the chocolate bar has almonds and sally is allergic

does swelling up and dying count as a win, i dont know much about game theory

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Bill Gates posted:

Do you still code? If so which language?

Not as much as I would like to. I write some C, C# and some Basic. I am surprised new languages have not made more progress in simplifying programming. It would be great if most high school kids were exposed to programming...

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
rails is loving weird yall

(http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ is the most comprehensive thing i've ever seen in my life; it's incredible. i wonder if django has a similar tutorial? have no idea what you even test with for python)

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

the more interesting question is: you have a MxN chocolate bar, and players take turns eating one square and every square below and to the right of it. whoever finishes it has to throw away the wrapper and loses. analyzing the game itself isn't that hard but analyzing multiple copies of it at once (where you have multiple bars, and the loser is the person who eats the very last piece of chocolate) is interesting

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

(http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ is the most comprehensive thing i've ever seen in my life; it's incredible. i wonder if django has a similar tutorial? have no idea what you even test with for python)

the rails tutorial is loving terrible as is most of rails' documentation

if you're going to read one book on getting into rails, the only "good" one is michael hartl's, and even then it's a major stretch

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
how!!'s poignant guide to giotto

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
are we still making fun of that guy and his face

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

gucci void main posted:

if you're going to read one book on getting into rails, the only "good" one is michael hartl's

th... that's the one i linked :confused:

are you thinking of the rails tutorial on the rails official site? because that looked okay but also a lot like django's getting started page in that it doesn't teach you any of the poo poo you need to know outside of the framework itself

whereas that rails tutorial book/site is incredible in going over everything, which is good because goddamn you need like three separate tools for testing??? like rspec to run them and then guard to constantly run them in the background and then spork to... run them faster i think? i guess that's kind of optional

(plus im having some weird dependency issue with guard-spork so i may just learn to be more patient)

also you can run individual tests with a sublime text plugin which owns bones

never done test-driven development before so it's an awesome bonus that that book teaches it

Suspicious Dish posted:

how!!'s poignant guide to giotto

two people in hacker school were doing that and i debated whether or not to steer them away, i feel like there's so many resources that would be way more efficient use of their time. i mean poo poo that ruby in 20 minutes got me comfortable enough to write a bit of code, coming from python

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

gordian solution: eat the chocolate.

it's hersheys

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

hartl's is still mostly poo poo

also please don't turn into a tdd zealot like the rest of rails users, jesus christ they're loving insufferable

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

then again i guess it's unavoidable, eventually you move over to node and ember because it's the cool thing to do in railstown

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i was already doing a bit of ember (last year, before they changed basically everything, so got to relearn it) and part of the reason i want to do rails is because a lot of the ember build tools are intended to integrate w rails or rack or rake or whatever

you can use it separately of course but i figure it's so used in general that i should have at least a working knowledge. not going to be what i focus on for the next three months but will try to do at least one good project

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

abraham linksys posted:

A good supplement to that is Rails for Zombies. Be warned though, rfz is p useless as a standalone learning tool (welcome to school.0!), so definitely read that book a ways first. Oh and it has an obnoxious zombie theme.

But afaik there is no book like that for Django.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

gucci void main posted:

then again i guess it's unavoidable, eventually you move over to node and ember because it's the cool thing to do in railstown

is railstown where the other people who can't get hired go

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
rails sucks django/flask 4 lyfe

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
enjoy your apocalyptic security vulnerabilities (nodejs is next)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

why django still can't get updated to python 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Shy posted:

why django still can't get updated to python 3?

cause the google summer of code intern bailed on them