Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Speaking of books, has anyone read Stan Hansen's? Looks interesting, but haven't ordered it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

zrrgin posted:

Speaking of books, has anyone read Stan Hansen's? Looks interesting, but haven't ordered it yet.

Karl Stern swears by it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dirt sheets ruined the business!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I went back and watched every single bolded KENTA match on Ditch's spreadsheet. I thought Marifuji vs KENTA feud was always good, and I wanted SUWA vs KENTA for the first time, but I still prefer Suzuki vs KENTA.

Going through and watching Nakamura's matches from the list because I didn't start watching him until middle of last year, it's really weird seeing he and Tanahashi as bland jr heavyweights knowing what they'll become eventually.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
They weren't juniors but they were definitely lacking 'something'. Clearly great raw talents though; NJ was smart to stick with it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It's not surprising that Inoki saw Nakamura as "the one" -- but it was filtered through INOKISM~ and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason for Tanahashi becoming ace (despite having said potential and merited his opportunities) was because Inoki had wrecked Nakamura's early years with INOKISM~ booking and forcing the "learning excursion".

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
FREE GENERICO

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=9942

code:
SHINGO/Cyber Kong/Jack Evans/El Generico vs. CIMA/Kid/Susumu/PAC

El Generico -vs- Drew Gulak -vs- Adam Cole -vs- Chuck Taylor

Danshoku Dieno & Makoto Oishi vs El Generico & Hiro Fukuda

Isami Kodaka vs El Generico

El Generico vs Shuji Ishikawa

TLC Match: © El Generico vs Isami Kodaka

El Generico/Isami Kodaka -vs- Hiro Tsumaki/Kengo Ohka.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Chortles posted:

It's not surprising that Inoki saw Nakamura as "the one" -- but it was filtered through INOKISM~ and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason for Tanahashi becoming ace (despite having said potential and merited his opportunities) was because Inoki had wrecked Nakamura's early years with INOKISM~ booking and forcing the "learning excursion".
Nakamura had Cena-ish "forced down our throats" heat when I saw him at the 2005 G-1 Climax. By December '06, when he'd revamped his approach and had a big title match with Tanahashi, that heat was gone. Tanahashi, by contrast, worked a lot longer for his big push, and only in recent years is getting sporadic Cena heat. Even that is mostly "cheer the other guy" rather than booing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ditch posted:

Nakamura had Cena-ish "forced down our throats" heat when I saw him at the 2005 G-1 Climax. By December '06, when he'd revamped his approach and had a big title match with Tanahashi, that heat was gone. Tanahashi, by contrast, worked a lot longer for his big push, and only in recent years is getting sporadic Cena heat. Even that is mostly "cheer the other guy" rather than booing.

Any chance the initial crowd support for Anderson was more a reaction to Tanahashi? I was surprised to hear it early in the match, before the drama really unfolded.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The fans do like Karl, and Japan LOVES underdogs.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

pretty sure Tanahashi is more recognized than Jesus in Japan.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Most Japanese people under 35 do not give a poo poo about pro wrestling. Here is a paraphrased version of a conversation I had.

Me: I'm a big fan of Japanese pro wrestling!

Girl 1: Really?

Me: Yeah! Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi...

Girl 1: I don't know any of them.

Girl 2: Misawa is his girlfriend.

Me: .......

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sakuraba is probably the guy on that show most recognizable to the Japanese public on that show and they likely think he's dead.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Sakuraba is probably the guy on that show most recognizable to the Japanese public on that show and they likely think he's dead.
Considering what's happened to him in MMA, can you really blame them?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Free IVP of the week: Bam Bam Bigalow.

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=10036?osCsid=61d387a506353d45c0f22468d5a91c64

Bam Bam vs Inoki and Bam Bam vs Vader (Twice!)

There's also 6 Volumes of KENTA/Marifuji to watch if you're into that!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Huh, that's the first time I've seen an IVP DVD cover. Is this going to become a thing?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

njsykora posted:

Huh, that's the first time I've seen an IVP DVD cover. Is this going to become a thing?

No. He has a select few and I think they're mostly fan art that people send to him.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's easy to whip up a cover for new comps he does, less so for the thousands of titles he has in his library.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ditch posted:

Most Japanese people under 35 do not give a poo poo about pro wrestling. Here is a paraphrased version of a conversation I had.

Me: I'm a big fan of Japanese pro wrestling!

Girl 1: Really?

Me: Yeah! Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi...

Girl 1: I don't know any of them.

Girl 2: Misawa is his girlfriend.

Me: .......

That's weird, when I was in Japan I mentioned puro and the girl and her husband I was driving around with (no older than 30) , recognized the names Kobashi and Misawa at least. Now, would they know KENTA and Tanahashi? I dunno.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I think it's similar to wrestling in the west. Most people don't know CM Punk or Dolph Ziggler, but they know Undertaker, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan. In Japan, they might not know Tanahashi or Okada, but they'll know Kobashi, Misawa, Chono.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
If you do Mutoh's pose, guaranteed at least eight out of ten people in Japan will get it. You can't argue with statistics. :colbert:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Hey guys. I haven't watched puroresu in about five or six years - there was a point where I was concerned about my disposable income so puro and the indies fell off for me. (In retrospect that was probably why I stopped watching wrestling in general for a while.) Last night, though, I was sorting through my DVDs and found my copy of AJW Dreamslam, and popped it in for a few hours so I could watch Bull Nakano throw some lariats and my girlfriend could boggle at everybody's nineties hair.

If I wanted to start getting shows again, is IVP Video still the best place to order from? I used to get all my stuff from there, but I figure six years is more than enough time for competition to spring up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Solomonic posted:

Hey guys. I haven't watched puroresu in about five or six years - there was a point where I was concerned about my disposable income so puro and the indies fell off for me. (In retrospect that was probably why I stopped watching wrestling in general for a while.) Last night, though, I was sorting through my DVDs and found my copy of AJW Dreamslam, and popped it in for a few hours so I could watch Bull Nakano throw some lariats and my girlfriend could boggle at everybody's nineties hair.

If I wanted to start getting shows again, is IVP Video still the best place to order from? I used to get all my stuff from there, but I figure six years is more than enough time for competition to spring up.

Nope IVP is still the best.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Solomonic posted:

yeah

IVPvideos
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the kind words you guys. Hard to believe that August will make a decade of IVPvideos being around. A third of my life has been spent on the Japanese wrestling DVD business. Pretty crazy.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

IVPvideos posted:

Thanks for the kind words you guys. Hard to believe that August will make a decade of IVPvideos being around. A third of my life has been spent on the Japanese wrestling DVD business. Pretty crazy.

drat, PSP is legit now.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IVPvideos posted:

Thanks for the 2ft tall stack of DVDs I have on my desk.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

post puro collection pics in this thread

IVPvideos
Feb 21, 2013

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 23, 2013

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
What's that poster on the right?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I don't remember where it came from but it's basically Vince McMahon, overlord of the entire wrestling world.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
It's called Gods of Thunder and I think you can still buy the print from Highspots. Notice you can see Vince Sr. in the stars.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
My IVP collection isn't huge, but it does have cases and covers at least

IVPvideos
Feb 21, 2013
Iconsofwrestling.com has the poster print. It is basically Vince above all these different wrestlers. Good stuff.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

We were watching a 666 show on Synctube and I really wanna see more. Can anyone tell me where to look?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There's not much 666 available, they're super super tiny.

Basically if IVP doesn't have something, and it's from like 2005 onward, you're screwed.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Frye vs. Takayama in 2013 AJPW.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I must see that

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!
Awesome, someone made a cover for the Johnny Ace DVDs! I made those. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HulkaMatt posted:

Frye vs. Takayama in 2013 AJPW.
You are a very deceptive person. It's a tag:

Mutoh & Frye vs Takayama & Kono