Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You Am I posted:

Because then he'd be on a train, making the race invalid :colbert:

The Stang looks great, and sure it copped a bit due to its NVH compared to other Euro/Japanese. Clarkson slammed the Falcon GT in a newspaper article for the same reason, even throwing in "it can't corner" which is something the Aussie built muscles cars could do compare to US models.

I don't see much of a difference between the ferry and the train, other than the obvious 'one is a boat, the other is a train'. You drive your car up a ramp, park, then drive out the other end when you get to the other side. In fact the ferry is more like a passenger train than the eurotunnel, because you can have a wander around and purchase a selection of snacks and hot and cold beverages onboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Linedance posted:

he probably would have won if he'd taken the Eurotunnel. Honestly, who takes the stupid ferry when the tunnel gets you across in 35 minutes?

I look at it as penance for the inexplicable delays the other two had in the previous races. A car is faster if the others have to walk two miles to the bus stop! A car is faster if it leaves hours before the trains start running! A car is faster if we wait to leave and force the plane to land early due to darkness!

I do think the race would have been more exciting if it ran the other way, so the car could have built up a lead that was then crushed as the train sped up. Even so it was a pretty good episode in my opinion, and now I understand why Clarkson was so twitchy about it on Twitter earlier.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Now for something from the Korean edition of Top Gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsoWpTO2qg

Our thread title is truly global.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
That was a pretty underwhelming segment for a car that won their Car of the Year in January.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Powershift posted:

The BRZ is a coupe, it has a trunk, the back window isn't part of it.
Yep. It's been a while since I read about it, but iirc they did that to keep the center of gravity lower cause you'd need more material/weight up higher for a lift/hatch.

boxen posted:

I liked her voice :(

Really liked finally seeing the Toyota go around the track, too, although I wish they had compared the times to something like a GTI or other sporty cars in its price range.
"Nooooo" :3:

Doesn't help filter down to "in the price range" but at least it's something:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Top_Gear_test_track_Power_Lap_Times

I wonder what it would've been like in the dry with better tires. I remember some test on a short track and I think they shaved off like two seconds with a gripper tire change.
Fake edit: http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-reports/scion-fr-s-tire-transformation

blunt posted:

:drat:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

blunt posted:

Holy crap...glad everyone made it out.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If it had been UK Top Gear that had crashed a helicopter gunship as part of a TV stunt, the Daily Mail would have been calling for Clarkson to be jailed and the show to be cancelled, followed by the BBC being shut down.

(And then immigrants deported and gays hung from lampposts, but for the Heil that's just a normal Monday morning.)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

blunt posted:

Pilot crashed the copter trying to get a good look at the beautiful ZR1 'vette that just smoked it. :smug:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mod sassinator posted:

Pilot crashed the copter trying to get a good look at the beautiful ZR1 'vette that just smoked it. :smug:

Or got blinded by the sun reflecting off the cheap shiny plastic dashboard :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Pretty great episode all round I thought! One of the better races they've done in the last couple of seasons, although I wasn't hugely impressed with the Mustang. A few hilarious moments - I laughed out loud at James's hidden bike, and at Jeremy's line about "France disappearing in a blizzard of fuel stops and sado-masochism". If Jeremy actually picked that car, he's a complete moron. If it really was as close as they made out, a car where he didn't have to stop 500 times for fuel would've won the race! And was he seriously paying 80 euros to refill the tank? :psyduck:

SIARPC was more interesting than I expected, and the Toyota looked like a pretty exciting car.

So yeah, mostly a really good episode and a good follow-up to last week. I've been enjoying this season a lot more than last - as much as I hate to say it, I think the year's break has really done them some good.

edit; Stopping every 140 miles means he probably stopped 6 times for fuel - that's 500 euros in fuel for the trip :psypop:

webmeister fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 12, 2013

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

webmeister posted:

And was he seriously paying 80 euros to refill the tank? :psyduck:

87! For 50 litres. So yeah...

I liked the episode too, it was funny how they all raced through 2 countries to get to a soccer game that they don't care about.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

InitialDave posted:

Hmm, the SIARPC is quite good this week, if you usually skip it, I'd give it a chance.

That accent is horrible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

b0nes posted:

That accent is horrible.

I think it's charming, but that might just be because she talks about how much she loves cars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

b0nes posted:

That accent is horrible.
It's a normal Scottish accent. :confused:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

b0nes posted:

That accent is horrible.

It's really not that bad compared to other Scottish people I've seen on TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE8T12-ZfW4

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

webmeister posted:

If Jeremy actually picked that car, he's a complete moron. If it really was as close as they made out, a car where he didn't have to stop 500 times for fuel would've won the race!

He had a budget, and I am sure he just picked the most BHP in a car for that price, wound up with the Mustang, then had to deal with all of it's crap, but all of that power for that cheap! :stare:

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

webmeister posted:

edit; Stopping every 140 miles means he probably stopped 6 times for fuel - that's 500 euros in fuel for the trip :psypop:

He paid 1.77 for a litre of 98 RON, it's not all that expensive. Last time I filled the car up I paid 1.84 for that. And that's also the reason why May and Hammond expected him to show up in a VW Passat or some similar diesel, something that could do the 800 miles on a single tank of fuel. But then again, if Clarkson had shown up in a Skoda Superb diesel, that would have been far too practical for him.

I was surprised by the tiny fuel tank in the Mustang. I'd have expected the designer to realise the thing would use 20l/100km and fit a 90l tank to compensate. My Twingo only has a 42l tank, but at least it does get over 800km of range out of it, 240km is just sad that's EV-territory.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My WJ's got an 80L tank, and I just had my fuel light come on at 160 miles.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

b0nes posted:

That accent is horrible.

You're a monster. She's adorable, her accent is adorable, and she has fantastic taste in cars.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I paid 100EUR to fill my Omega a while ago :negative:

On the upside, I'd only have to stop once and would thus be able to easily beat the train. Good episode, even SIARPC was interesting, though honestly, I found the accent to be a bit too much, it was like listening to Fat Bastard's annoying cousin.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kenshin posted:

You're a monster. She's adorable, her accent is adorable, and she has fantastic taste in cars.

counterpoint: she's boring, her accent is the same as the one they use to sell you stuff you're not interested in on the telly, she's owned several Audis.

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK
I was somewhat surprised to see the same footage for GT86/BRZ as I saw on "The Worst Car in The History of The World" DVD, kind of hoped for something new and interesting. Even though it was to the point of "it's fun to drive, good and cheap; what else do you need?" which usually means that car was actually pretty good, episode 3 left me with with a slight disappointment.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Linedance posted:

counterpoint: she's boring, her accent is the same as the one they use to sell you stuff you're not interested in on the telly, she's owned several Audis.
Must be an American vs. Brit thing, then, because you're not going to find a lot of American guys saying her accent is "boring."

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Good episode, skipped most of SIARPC.

Something about certain types of our accent just makes me cringe into my seat cushion. I'm a scot who can't watch scots :psyduck:

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Why couldn't they of sent the GT500 around the Test track? Or have they already done that?

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

OptimusMatrix posted:

Why couldn't they of sent the GT500 around the Test track? Or have they already done that?

They sure did -- 01:30.0

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

noskill posted:

They sure did -- 01:30.0

Looks like that was the previous gen model though. And in the wet.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Kenshin posted:

She is adorable, and she has fantastic taste in cars, but I don't know if I could live with that accent. I thought at first it was Canadian.
"And I was like nuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Kenshin posted:

Must be an American vs. Brit thing, then, because you're not going to find a lot of American guys saying her accent is "boring."

I'm British and have been secretly in love with her since her first album!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Linedance posted:

I am honestly trying to comprehend how anyone can honestly think this. This is AI and she's a loving car geek. That show was Top Gear. She can drive. She's got money. The Audis she has owned are R8's, which are rather good to say the least.

How in seven hells isn't she perfect girlfriend material for everyone who is even the slightest bit interested in cars?

Stop thinking with your brain and think with your dick on this one.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I could have sworn I saw that segment with Clarkson and the GT86 before.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Cat Terrist posted:

I am honestly trying to comprehend how anyone can honestly think this. This is AI and she's a loving car geek. That show was Top Gear. She can drive. She's got money. The Audis she has owned are R8's, which are rather good to say the least.

How in seven hells isn't she perfect girlfriend material for everyone who is even the slightest bit interested in cars?

Stop thinking with your brain and think with your dick on this one.

Exactly this. I'd marry that girl just to drive her cars. The fact that she's gorgeous and has a sweet accent is just frosting on the cake.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

b0nes posted:

I could have sworn I saw that segment with Clarkson and the GT86 before.
They basically reviewed it in the "Worst Car in the World" DVD that came out a little while back.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Deedle posted:

I was surprised by the tiny fuel tank in the Mustang. I'd have expected the designer to realise the thing would use 20l/100km and fit a 90l tank to compensate. My Twingo only has a 42l tank, but at least it does get over 800km of range out of it, 240km is just sad that's EV-territory.

I was also surprised by the tiny fuel tank in the LFA last episode (2). I mean, I understand why they would do it on that car, but at 350k, I would be expecting a bit more. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You should be able to use the phone-a-friend service to request a tanker truck for IFR.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

b0nes posted:

That accent is horrible.

Then so's yours, whatever it is.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Foehammer007 posted:

I was also surprised by the tiny fuel tank in the LFA last episode (2). I mean, I understand why they would do it on that car, but at 350k, I would be expecting a bit more. :colbert:

Probably weight balance/savings considering how the rest of the car was designed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well I have to say after a decidedly mediocre first episode, the last two have been properly good, with last Sunday's being one of my favourite episodes so far.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Linedance posted:

So in other words:

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

sigtrap posted:

Then so's yours, whatever it is.

I like your accent though.