Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

dreamin' posted:

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people would rather work an 8h shift to 2200 or 2300 at full wages and with normal breaks than work 11+ hours at one of the discounters that stretches your shifts from 0800 to 2030 and still only pays you for the official openening hours from 0900 to 2000.

Or, in the case of the Rewe I mentioned, only taking Praktikanten/Probearbeiter for the cashier jobs, then never hiring anyone.

The problem here isn't really how many opening hours a shop has to deal with, it's the underhandedness and greed of the owners. The poor dude they have on internship or whatever doesn't have any leverage and who else would care enough to do something about it?

Also as someone who tends to keep odd hours, not being able to get food past 20:00 (apart from ordering pizza and whatnot) is pretty lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And cool on hatin' that, we should stock our large larders well in advance of course, with all possible wants or needs culinary. :thumbsup:

Yeah, what an impossible demand, thinking in advance.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, what an impossible demand, thinking in advance.
Pfff, hahaha. What an adorable counter-point. :allears: Yeah, "Hmmm, do I plan on wanting chocolate on the 5th? Better write that down, don't want my personal failings to keep me away from having plenty of Lindor to munch on".
Admit it, it's just backwards and annoying. There's no particular reason why poo poo should be closed so early, aside from the point already raised about the treatment of workers, other than some inane appeal to tradition.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pfff, hahaha. What an adorable counter-point. :allears: Yeah, "Hmmm, do I plan on wanting chocolate on the 5th? Better write that down, don't want my personal failings to keep me away from having plenty of Lindor to munch on".
Admit it, it's just backwards and annoying. There's no particular reason why poo poo should be closed so early, aside from the point already raised about the treatment of workers, other than some inane appeal to tradition.

Who's speaking about the 5th? What's supposed to be backwards about planning your shopping list even two days in advance? To the best of my knowledge that's pretty common among people over a certain age, so maybe you just outed yourself as a mid-20's bachelor who can't control his munchies and is pathetically dependent on instant gratification?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Who's speaking about the 5th? What's supposed to be backwards about planning your shopping list even two days in advance? To the best of my knowledge that's pretty common among people over a certain age, so maybe you just outed yourself as a mid-20's bachelor who can't control his munchies and is pathetically dependent on instant gratification?
Haha, complaining about idiotic opening hours of everything from retailers to restaurants to night-clubs reveals me for the wretched shell of a man I am indeed.:allears:

Where I'm at now I shop where it's cheapest, which isn't open all day but it sure is better having the option, especially as I can't think of a single advantage to this poo poo, maybe you can tell me more about all the good thangs arising from everything closing down super-early and for days on end? I'll accept the limitation on your answer that you aren't very knowledgeable, just give me the best you got.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
I have a 24h Kaisers 15min by foot away from where I live, and then a few other stores open daily until 22h (except sundays), so as long as I am not total poo poo at planning and have nothing on a sunday I'm fine (if it comes to that there's a few places nearish open). Also I can go to clubs at any time any day of the week.

Mittelpunkt der Welt indeed.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

24h Kaisers

Schönhauser Allee, right? That store is great. A friend of mine who lives near there keeps taunting me about it, though - there's nothing like that anywhere near here. :smith: Well, except a million billion Spätis, so I guess the point is moot.

Actually, with the way the Ordnungsamt enforces the Sunday thing, it's all moot. Like when it cracked down on the stores in Hauptbahnhof that sold stuff in non-travel-appropriate sizes on Sundays, you could just go one station east and do all your shopping in the Edeka at Friedrichstraße. Or at Ostbahnhof. Similarly, they cracked down on exactly one Späti here, while the rest of them 50 m down the street stayed open 24/7, and it went back to opening on Sundays about two weeks later. It's all just really dumb.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I want to go to this country of milk and honey I keep hearing about in here.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I never realized shopping after 6 pm is such an existential need.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Let them open whenever they want. Employees get paid extra for night and weekend work anyway.

Just because they can stay open does not mean they will. Stores are only open when it makes sense for them financially, and often it doesn't.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

midnightclimax posted:

The existential need is not having the man tell you what you can and can't do.

Vote Ron Paul 2013

Also, give Ron Paul German citizenship

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

midnightclimax posted:

Goodness, hyperbole much? Nobody is saying that it's absolutely necessary, but there's just not much reason not to do it. I rely on a nearby 6-20 Aldi for most of my groceries, but having a 6-24 Rewe available turned out to be pretty convenient whenever I forgot something on a saturday evening or when I'm coming home late from sports or uni and don't want to have to rush just to pick up some milk or whatever. It's doubly useful since I don't have a car and as such can only ever buy as much as I can carry on a single run, which puts a bit of a damper on the whole stockpiling thing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Its very strange, now that I can shop until midnight I don't need it anymore.

When I was still living in Bavaria, I was always annoyed that I had to leave work early, skip a workout or take an extra 2 hour trip into the city if I wanted to do real shopping.
No live where there are longer opening times. But because the town is so small, I can just walk to the store without being annoyed by a commute. How ironic.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Perestroika posted:

It's doubly useful since I don't have a car and as such can only ever buy as much as I can carry on a single run, which puts a bit of a damper on the whole stockpiling thing.

This. Also gently caress buying more than you can carry in one go if you gotta carry it up multiple flights of stairs. I'm guessing everyone going "Sheesh, can't you plan in advance" has a car, lives in the suburbs, works 9-5 and probably has a wife who does all the shopping anyway.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Zwille posted:

This. Also gently caress buying more than you can carry in one go if you gotta carry it up multiple flights of stairs. I'm guessing everyone going "Sheesh, can't you plan in advance" has a car, lives in the suburbs, works 9-5 and probably has a wife who does all the shopping anyway.

Wow, we could complete the Energiewende if we could burn the strawman you created!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

Wow, we could complete the Energiewende if we could burn the strawman you created!
Strawmen on all sides here mang, would it be a real German discussion if there weren't? :cryingbierstein:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Zwille posted:

Jesus :thumbsup:

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
How many people that are in favour of mandatory early closing times actually make sure that they don't shop at exactly those discounters and supermarkets that treat their workers like poo poo anyway? I mean if you care for their fair treatment you surely aren't in favor of mandatory 2000 closing times and sundays off and then turn around and go shopping to aldi or lidl or rewe or real or ... right?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Zwille posted:

I don't have a car, live in the middle of Hamburg and do all most of shopping. So gently caress you, I guess.

quote:

Goodness, hyperbole much? Nobody is saying that it's absolutely necessary, but there's just not much reason not to do it.

But they did say that? Because apparently not being able to buy stuff whenever you feel the need to is an unbearable thing for some people, and the idea to make do with what you got is something that cavemen once did.

If you want to talk hyperbole, take this:

quote:

everything closing down super-early and for days on end?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Smirr posted:

Schönhauser Allee, right? That store is great. A friend of mine who lives near there keeps taunting me about it, though - there's nothing like that anywhere near here. :smith: Well, except a million billion Spätis, so I guess the point is moot.

Actually, with the way the Ordnungsamt enforces the Sunday thing, it's all moot. Like when it cracked down on the stores in Hauptbahnhof that sold stuff in non-travel-appropriate sizes on Sundays, you could just go one station east and do all your shopping in the Edeka at Friedrichstraße. Or at Ostbahnhof. Similarly, they cracked down on exactly one Späti here, while the rest of them 50 m down the street stayed open 24/7, and it went back to opening on Sundays about two weeks later. It's all just really dumb.

Yeah, beyond all the poo poo I get for not living somewhere cool and being a Szene-yuppie it's a great place to live, I have the Ringbahn and U2 for transit, as well as the Mauerpark and all the other nice poo poo in Prenzlberg that makes living nice and pleasant.

I think the thing with the orndungsamt is that if they actually start giving a real gently caress and make life more inconvenient for everyone people would become actively hostile to them, which would mean the government would have to say something. In the current state of incompetent bliss everyone's ok and nobody actually has to do anything.

clownpenis
Nov 24, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

I don't have a car, live in the middle of Hamburg and do all most of shopping. So gently caress you, I guess.

But they did say that? Because apparently not being able to buy stuff whenever you feel the need to is an unbearable thing for some people, and the idea to make do with what you got is something that cavemen once did.

If you want to talk hyperbole, take this:

Or maybe it would just be a whole lot easier on people who don't have the advantage of working regular hours or living in the city if places would just stay open for a few hours longer or on Sundays. But hey, as long as you guys got yours, right?

clownpenis fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 13, 2013

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Landsknecht posted:

I think the thing with the orndungsamt is that if they actually start giving a real gently caress and make life more inconvenient for everyone people would become actively hostile to them, which would mean the government would have to say something. In the current state of incompetent bliss everyone's ok and nobody actually has to do anything.

It's not that they don't give a gently caress, it's that they just don't have the manpower to enforce it. At least that's what papers printed (yeah, grain of salt and all that) when they were talking about actually enforcing the smoking ban. Turns out the Ordnungsamt only works until 22:00 or something like that as well. So I guess they wouldn't be able to enforce closing time either unless people specifically tip them off (or if the shop's open on sundays and even then only when people tip them off like that guy in Prenzlauer Berg did who promptly became the most hated person of Berlin overnight, and yeah, he's not a Schwabe, he's from Berlin proper).

Also it's not just that it's completely unbearable to not be able to shop whenever, it's just that there's no valid reason why stores should ever close down except because there's not enough business. If you're saying it's exploitation of the workers, you'd have to stop shopping at discounters as well, just for starters.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Zwille posted:

If you're saying it's exploitation of the workers, you'd have to stop shopping at discounters as well, just for starters.

Or don't buy anything anymore. Plant and make all your own poo poo. Live off the land

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

I have a 24h Kaisers 15min by foot away from where I live, and then a few other stores open daily until 22h (except sundays), so as long as I am not total poo poo at planning and have nothing on a sunday I'm fine (if it comes to that there's a few places nearish open). Also I can go to clubs at any time any day of the week.

I live very close to a 24/6 Kaisers, too. Not that I would ever see any reason to go there in the middle of the night.

I used to hate the fact that everything is closed on Sundays but having spent some years in countries where Sunday basically feels like a day like any other, I've really come to like German Sundays where you're not supposed to do anything except maybe go for a walk and have some cake.

Zwille posted:

If you're saying it's exploitation of the workers, you'd have to stop shopping at discounters as well, just for starters.
So? You say that like it's some weird sacrifice no sane person would ever consider.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Zwille posted:

It's not that they don't give a gently caress, it's that they just don't have the manpower to enforce it. At least that's what papers printed (yeah, grain of salt and all that) when they were talking about actually enforcing the smoking ban. Turns out the Ordnungsamt only works until 22:00 or something like that as well. So I guess they wouldn't be able to enforce closing time either unless people specifically tip them off (or if the shop's open on sundays and even then only when people tip them off like that guy in Prenzlauer Berg did who promptly became the most hated person of Berlin overnight, and yeah, he's not a Schwabe, he's from Berlin proper).

Also it's not just that it's completely unbearable to not be able to shop whenever, it's just that there's no valid reason why stores should ever close down except because there's not enough business. If you're saying it's exploitation of the workers, you'd have to stop shopping at discounters as well, just for starters.

Enforcing smoking bans is pretty hard because you're allowed to have a smoking section (unless the rules have changed?), and then as an owner/manager you can just bitch about people wandering out of this area and throw some signs up and really not get in trouble.

Previously on GBS posted:

I live very close to a 24/6 Kaisers, too. Not that I would ever see any reason to go there in the middle of the night.

I used to hate the fact that everything is closed on Sundays but having spent some years in countries where Sunday basically feels like a day like any other, I've really come to like German Sundays where you're not supposed to do anything except maybe go for a walk and have some cake.

So? You say that like it's some weird sacrifice no sane person would ever consider.

I sometimes don't get home from work until 2200 (gently caress yeah Flexzeit), and usually I'll try and hit up mcfit and then stop for food on my way back. Since I'm often stopping at the store around midnight having something open crazy long is actually super convenient.

Sundays are kind of nice because of the fact that you never have to do anything, but at the same time it is kind of lame that I can't go out and buy some clothes or some poo poo, because saturday is the one day I have to do everything.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

but at the same time it is kind of lame that I can't go out and buy some clothes or some poo poo, because saturday is the one day I have to do everything.

Seriously. My weekends would actually be more relaxing if I could spread out everything I needed to do, say, going to the center to shop on Saturday and then doing my grocery shopping on Sunday, instead of basically having to wake up at 08:00 in order to get everything done on Saturday.

clownpenis
Nov 24, 2003

Landsknecht posted:

I sometimes don't get home from work until 2200 (gently caress yeah Flexzeit), and usually I'll try and hit up mcfit and then stop for food on my way back. Since I'm often stopping at the store around midnight having something open crazy long is actually super convenient.

Sundays are kind of nice because of the fact that you never have to do anything, but at the same time it is kind of lame that I can't go out and buy some clothes or some poo poo, because saturday is the one day I have to do everything.

Gold and a Pager posted:

Seriously. My weekends would actually be more relaxing if I could spread out everything I needed to do, say, going to the center to shop on Saturday and then doing my grocery shopping on Sunday, instead of basically having to wake up at 08:00 in order to get everything done on Saturday.

"Convenient"? "Relaxing"? No this sounds completely unreasonable.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

clownpenis posted:

"Convenient"? "Relaxing"? No this sounds completely unreasonable.

If it's enjoyable and easy we're probably doing something wrong, any public necessity should be accessible but only if you try hard.

Also on a completely different topic: as a privilege of working with young conservatives, I get to meet some truly wonderful and interesting terrible and racist people. Just the other day I met a wonderful fellow who explained the necessity of an Ariernachweis and then went on about his theories of how all the Volksdeutsch need to be united in one nation, and how Germany should actually encompass most of northern europe. As a foreigner (albeit a caucasian from N. America), I get exceptionally pissed off at this overt racism/xenophobism, and I had to try pretty hard to not just spit out the usual racist stuff I can put out (back to back world war champs, etc.). The funny thing is that these guys all nominate some special time in history as the greatest (usually at the height of the empire in the late 19th century), but fail to consider that for this whole country used to be under the french (napoleon), and then before that the Austrians. Hell, why don't we just all pledge allegiance to the Italians and recreate the roman empire because it's obviously the height of western civilization.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Landsknecht posted:

how Germany should actually encompass most of northern europe.
:psyduck:
what

Gross-Deutschland is common enough a thing to hear in idiot circles but Scandinavia? Why?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

:psyduck:
what

Gross-Deutschland is common enough a thing to hear in idiot circles but Scandinavia? Why?

Not that level, but more like Poland, Czech republic, Slovakia, some baltic States, Denmark, Belgium, Luxembourg, some of the Netherlands and Austria, also a chunk of switzerland is appropriate, as well all some of France (Alscace-Lorraine of course). You see, if you count any territory that either the prussians, the holy roman empire or the German Empire held at any point it's perfectly acceptable because...

Basically the only level that these guys seem to avoid is overtly calling for the 1941/42 borders that were the height of the 3rd Reich at it's greatest territorial extent, although I'm sure that might not even be too far off from what they actually want.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Landsknecht posted:

If it's enjoyable and easy we're probably doing something wrong, any public necessity should be accessible but only if you try hard.

Also on a completely different topic: as a privilege of working with young conservatives, I get to meet some truly wonderful and interesting terrible and racist people.

Weren't you the one with the CDU job? Are those CDU party members and they openly express that kind of opinion?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

elwood posted:

Weren't you the one with the CDU job? Are those CDU party members and they openly express that kind of opinion?

There's a shitload of variety in the CDU party I've found, from the socialist (but strongly personally religious), to the Merkel-style cautious, to the big-business guys to the "old ways are ok and I'm scared of change" group.

The guy who said this is an intern in his early 20s (like me as well), except I think he got hooked up with the internship because his parents know people and he needs resume stuff, he's got a nice noble name, plenty of money and is high up in some Burschenschaft. Basically he's the kind of guy that the party actually needs to be distnaced from, but because of the wealth and traditional power/connections of this group they really can't get away from them, and I bet there's a fair faction of them still in the party determining something or the other.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
If that became public knowledege, I think there would be a huge shitstorm.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

elwood posted:

Hopefully we will get lucky and some Burschenschaft will pull some silly bullshit (like accidently having some document released that is exceptionally racist or something), and then a lot of these kind of people will lose influence, and more importantly these groups will be banned from Universities. I mean I know some of the Catholic/Christian organizations are pretty decent and basically amounts to "socialization/housing organizations but lol guys no girls live here ok?" but a lot of the others are kind of varying shades of lovely.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

elwood posted:

Not exactly surprising; wasn't there some Junge CDU guy that was member of some Facebook-group called "Nach Frankreich fahren wir nur auf Ketten"? AFAIK he dropped a couple of questionable comments in public as well.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
There is enough trouble in the Burschenschaften as it is and it's basic knowledge that a lot of them are far, far to the right. I mean after that one Burschenschaft actually wanted to introduce a kind of Ariernachweis and a member called Bonhoeffer a traitor and stated that his excecution was legaly justified, there is nothing else they could do to shock the public.
I find it unexcusable however that the CDU tolerates someone that openly expresses views like you stated even if he is only an intern. If that behaviour became openly known, and that it is being tolerated by the party, there would be an outcry.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

elwood posted:

There is enough trouble in the Burschenschaften as it is and it's basic knowledge that a lot of them are far, far to the right. I mean after that one Burschenschaft actually wanted to introduce a kind of Ariernachweis and a member called Bonhoeffer a traitor and stated that his excecution was legaly justified, there is nothing else they could do to shock the public.
I find it unexcusable however that the CDU tolerates someone that openly expresses views like you stated even if he is only an intern. If that behaviour became openly known, and that it is being tolerated by the party, there would be an outcry.

I think the big issue with the really conservative Burschenschaften is that their "public" talking points are very backwards, but excusable, because most of them are monarchists (Ha!) and basically they just call for a slowdown to immigration, which is a (sadly) common enough idea in Germany as a whole.

The other big talking point that the hardcore conservatives like to throw around is how much they hate the EU and an united Europe, as it's undemocratic for "dem Deutschen Volke" because "nicht-Volksdeutsche" are able to make rules that have being in "das deutsche Vaterland" (do not think I am using these terms to be ironic, they speak like this wayyy too much for comfort). As the Schengen agreements and modern EU are relatively new, it seems a fair amount of older and conservative people like to blame a lot of problems on this, and sadly it's another pseudo-acceptable talking point.

It's only when you go to a Stammtisch with them that you realize how conservative/right they are, and how, aside from a few details, they sound very similar to the NPD. The only real difference between them and the NPD is that they are educated and know how to stick to the (albeit backwards) talking points, and a lot of them have money/noble titles so sadly some people still take that as a sense of authority.

Hopefully within 20 years or so we'll start to see the really old ways die out, Merkel has done a really good job of modernizing the mainstream right (and being very committed to the idea of Europe) and young people are constantly less religious and more outsider friendly.

Landsknecht fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 13, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm gonna "break a lance" here and say that the extreme Left in Germany is at least as obnoxious and retarded as your average Burschenschaftler. In fact, here in Jena the left-wing wannabe anarchists are so deeply entrenched and have their heads so far up their own asses that the relatively new FDP Student's Group has the most sensible (!) people in it and they're willing to call the idiots out on their "Everyone right of us is a loving fascist!!!" rhetoric.

Our Studentenrat is literally a made up of tumblr SJWs.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I was wondering what (if any) the opinion is of John Kerry's speech in Berlin recently? ( http://www.reuters.com/article/comments/idUSBRE91P0HJ20130226 )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

midnightclimax posted:

What kind of job do you have where you're off work before 6 most days? I literally have no choice because by the time I get off work and get home, it's past 6. I can't do all my shopping for the week on Saturday.