Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Cingulate posted:

I don't see how my idea is "dumb" because of ifs and fantasies. All Trek movies have Hollywood dudes with make-up, but the TOS movies feel real, and Nemesis looks like a bunch of CGI and dudes with make-up.

Well for one things its the primary reason why Back to the Future was filmed the way it was. The creators basically said that anything they tried doing will look incredibly idiotic like what ended up happening with TOS era movies so they just ignored it and turned it into a comedic element. Unfortunately, I believe the car thread that mentioned that is probably in the archives.

der juicen pegged it exactly. Why the hell does the flagship of an major organization look decrepit and militaristic? Hey guys we come in peace. Don't mind the fact that our ship looks rather mean and nasty looking. That was a huge step back from the original series were the Enterprise was pretty dam colorful for what you could do in terms of practical effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MadScientistWorking posted:

Why the hell does the flagship of an major organization look decrepit and militaristic
What ship do you mean? The TMP refit?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Why the hell does the flagship of an major organization look decrepit and militaristic? Hey guys we come in peace. Don't mind the fact that our ship looks rather mean and nasty looking.

Surely this could be seen as revealing something about the true nature of the federation? That they claim to come in peace and are utopian and all that but they're actually forcing their utopia on other races.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

A human heart posted:

Surely this could be seen as revealing something about the true nature of the federation? That they claim to come in peace and are utopian and all that but they're actually forcing their utopia on other races.

I don't think this ever actually happens though? In most cases that I remember, whenever a species tells the Enterprise to gently caress off they tend to actually comply pretty easily unless there's some sort of living right getting stomped on.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

I don't think this ever actually happens though? In most cases that I remember, whenever a species tells the Enterprise to gently caress off they tend to actually comply pretty easily unless there's some sort of living right getting stomped on.

It seemed to happen all the time with ships that weren't the enterprise though. Thats why Kirk and Picard and Cameron (:v:) got the command, they were the only non dick captains in Starfleet. Got a Klingon with a history of violence? I don't see the harm in giving him our most advanced warship. Bipolar Agressive Jerk? Send her off to hunt the Maquis with a full armament and the most advanced computer system in the fleet!

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Cingulate posted:

I was comparing the TOS-era movies design to JJTrek. JJTrek looks sleek, new, futuristic. It comes from our time, rather than the 60's. I think it looks great. I like TNG's Enterprise because I grew up with it, so I'm sure I'd :sperg: about it if they wanted to redo that, but I was never, have never been invested in the old trek, though I enjoyed the movies except for TMP.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I love how LCARS still seems like a viable computing system. Just incomprehensible enough to be realistic.

e: For a starship I mean. It's not made for everyday people, it's made for Starship Operators.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

der juicen posted:

I was comparing the TOS-era movies design to JJTrek. JJTrek looks sleek, new, futuristic. It comes from our time, rather than the 60's.

You only think it looks like it came from the 60s because of the gift of hindsight. Most everything that preceded it was a flying saucer or a Republic serial-style rocketship; the Enterprise design is quite unique for its era, as are most of its internal set elements like the colored mood lighting and the arrangement of the bridge. It feels old not because it followed a bunch of standards and cliches from its own time, but because it pioneered them, so long ago that they became standards and cliches all over again. In 50 years JJTrek will look at least as dated, if not moreso for being a resurfaced copy instead of an original production.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kazy posted:

I love how LCARS still seems like a viable computing system. Just incomprehensible enough to be realistic.

e: For a starship I mean. It's not made for everyday people, it's made for Starship Operators.

Beats the TOS system where NOTHING IS MARKED OR LABELED!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

der juicen posted:

I was comparing the TOS-era movies design to JJTrek. JJTrek looks sleek, new, futuristic. It comes from our time, rather than the 60's.
Okay, but what ship is it that looks "decrepit and militaristic"?

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Cingulate posted:

None of the Enterprises really look decrepit or militaristic, including the Abramsprise. The only outwardly intimidating thing about them is their size.

When I think of a militaristic starship I think of something like the Sulaco from Aliens with it's utilitarian gunmetal grey hull and giant cannons mounted on each side.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In fact, I think all of the NCC-1701 Enterprises look fairly fragile and not at all war-like, but futuristic and majestic. Which is why I'm asking what he's calling decrepit or mean.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BrandonGK posted:

When I think of a militaristic starship I think of something like the Sulaco from Aliens with it's utilitarian gunmetal grey hull and giant cannons mounted on each side.

The Sulaco itself is one giant gun. I forget which one inspired which, but the Sulaco resembles by the pulse rifles carried by the Marines.

Getting back to Star Trek, the only issue I have with the J.J. Abrams' Enterprise is the Budweiser factory Engineering section. It's way, way, too open in my opinion. Granted, the original show and Next Gen had areas with big open spaces, but it filled them with visible signs of power that have been condensed in such spaces. Supposedly, they had the engineering sketched out, but it the Budweiser factory used as a stand-in for budgetary reasons.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 12, 2013

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes, one of the design guys posted renderings on his blog at one point, and they matched up better with the engineering sections that we know and love from earlier ST.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I like the idea of the engineering section being this dirty, utilitarian industrial space where the real work gets done. It's the execution that was the problem.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Cingulate posted:

In fact, I think all of the NCC-1701 Enterprises look fairly fragile and not at all war-like, but futuristic and majestic. Which is why I'm asking what he's calling decrepit or mean.

I do not think the earlier trek, TOS-era looks majestic. I'm guessing it's just a signature of the time it was made in that gives it a different look. Take JJTrek, the ship looks exciting, sleek, regal, and badass all into one ship.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Star Trek 2011 is the most recent example, but Star Trek as a franchise has a gift for making what should be completely ridiculous spaceship designs and making them look good.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

FigurativelyHitler posted:

Star Trek 2011 is the most recent example, but Star Trek as a franchise has a gift for making what should be completely ridiculous spaceship designs and making them look good.

This is true. I mean, I guess I could be in the miniority. And drat do I love Romulan/Klingon warships. So sexy.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
They're even hotter in HD.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

BrandonGK posted:

None of the Enterprises really look decrepit or militaristic, including the Abramsprise. The only outwardly intimidating thing about them is their size.

Well I was referring to the interior of the refit which looked pretty dull and drab for the flagship. I remember the original series interior being more brighter.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well I was referring to the interior of the refit which looked pretty dull and drab for the flagship. I remember the original series interior being more brighter.

I remember reading that the sets were so colorful in TOS because color TV was still somewhat of a novelty. So Roddenberry told the set designer to go crazy with the color, to stand out.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Cingulate posted:

I think the TMP Enterprise is the best, and most ... what's the word, real? The most real-looking ship in all of ST.
There's probably a more technical word. Naturalistic? I don't know.
And it's brand new and shiny, and looks like it.

The TMP Enterprise isn't shiny at all, it's all matte gray and matte eggshell inside and out.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Star Trek TPM had some interesting sets. I liked Kirk's quarters and the big crew meeting area, but the bridge was just too goddamned dark.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TheBuilder posted:

Star Trek TPM had some interesting sets. I liked Kirk's quarters and the big crew meeting area, but the bridge was just too goddamned dark.

I like the constant presence of the ceilings and all those buttresses pushing into the frame. It felt very submariney at times.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

penismightier posted:

The TMP Enterprise isn't shiny at all, it's all matte gray and matte eggshell inside and out.

It was supposed to be shiny, though. They had coated it in some pearlescent varnish which was apparently gorgeous beyond all belief but photographed horribly, so they emptied a few dozen cans of dullcote onto the model and welp

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It was supposed to be shiny, though. They had coated it in some pearlescent varnish which was apparently gorgeous beyond all belief but photographed horribly, so they emptied a few dozen cans of dullcote onto the model and welp

Ha, that's like how the monolith in 2001 was supposed to be clear but that also photographed horribly. They lucked out, the matte Enterprise looks great and there's not a lot of other ships that look like it colorwise, only the Millennium Falcon comes to mind.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mean "shiny" as in, it reflects light or whatever, I mean, it's not decrepit at all (in TMP), it's tidy and new. I'm not good with words about how stuff looks in films.

It's not just a pretty ship, it's a pretty ship.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I don't mean "shiny" as in, it reflects light or whatever, I mean, it's not decrepit at all (in TMP), it's tidy and new. I'm not good with words about how stuff looks in films.

It's not just a pretty ship, it's a pretty ship.

Ohhh, I follow ya. Yeah the exterior of it is grand as hell, the nacelles are practically art deco. I don't like the exterior of the JJ Enterprise, it feels pointlessly complicated, but you don't think the interiors looks pretty and new? I love the smoothness of everything, and I even love the totally illogical concrete of the engine room, it feels like when you see the kitchen of a fancy restaurant and it's just as utilitarian as any other kitchen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like the concept and even the look of the engine room, but I couldn't help but think "man it's going to really really suck if they want to do any more engine room scenes in sequels." One plus about the fancy engine rooms of Treks past is that they could be done on a sound stage same as anything else.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mind the walrus posted:

I like the concept and even the look of the engine room, but I couldn't help but think "man it's going to really really suck if they want to do any more engine room scenes in sequels." One plus about the fancy engine rooms of Treks past is that they could be done on a sound stage same as anything else.

Nah, they can always use the "damaged and got refit" excuse; single line of throw away dialog and you're done.

DieLaughing
Jun 27, 2005

We're in a shooting war. We need something to shoot with.

Hasters posted:

Nah, they can always use the "damaged and got refit" excuse; single line of throw away dialog and you're done.

I thought the Budweiser Core looked great, so I say they do one better and have it be refitted to a different real world facility in each sequel. Like Rusty and Audrey in the National Lampoon's movies, only with tie-in money.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm very much anti-brewery, in large part because the scene in the brewery room is probably the worst part of the movie. It's way too long for a slapstick scene that's never ever funny.

penismightier posted:

Ohhh, I follow ya. Yeah the exterior of it is grand as hell, the nacelles are practically art deco. I don't like the exterior of the JJ Enterprise, it feels pointlessly complicated, but you don't think the interiors looks pretty and new? I love the smoothness of everything, and I even love the totally illogical concrete of the engine room, it feels like when you see the kitchen of a fancy restaurant and it's just as utilitarian as any other kitchen.
I think "pretty and new" nicely describe the JJTrek Enterprise. She's a bit of a chubster, but, who doesn't like some curves?

The TMP enterprise indeed blurs the lines between architecture and design. I think she also conveys her magnitude a lot better than all other ships. The thing they're flying in First Contact and Nemesis, I forgot the name, it's probably supposed to be twice as large as the Refit, but she doesn't look HUGE. She looks like the product of a billion bucks graphics department - which is some form of aesthetic; but, she doesn't look like she has actual, physical size.
The Refit looks huge.

Sadly, the JJTrek Enterprise doesn't quite live up to that standard. Though it might be the next one's gonna give her more mass.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

The TMP enterprise indeed blurs the lines between architecture and design. I think she also conveys her magnitude a lot better than all other ships. The thing they're flying in First Contact and Nemesis, I forgot the name, it's probably supposed to be twice as large as the Refit, but she doesn't look HUGE. She looks like the product of a billion bucks graphics department - which is some form of aesthetic; but, she doesn't look like she has actual, physical size.
The Refit looks huge.

A lot of it is that they have it both ways - super big AND super fast and maneuverable. It makes sense because future technology whatevs, but it feels less honest and comprehendible than the ponderous Enterprise and Enterprise D.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Zzulu posted:

Aliens has aged really well. I don't know what some of you are smoking

Just don't watch the remastered Blu-Ray in five or ten years.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Crackpipe posted:

Just don't watch the remastered Blu-Ray in five or ten years.

The movie is over 25 years old already. If it doesn't look aged to someone yet, it likely never will.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

DFu4ever posted:

The movie is over 25 years old already. If it doesn't look aged to someone yet, it likely never will.

I was referring to the new color grading.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

penismightier posted:

A lot of it is that they have it both ways - super big AND super fast and maneuverable. It makes sense because future technology whatevs, but it feels less honest and comprehendible than the ponderous Enterprise and Enterprise D.

And that's one of the more minor reasons why the TNG flicks were terrible. We barely even got to know the ENT-E at all, but even with the crew shooting on TNG sets in TUC I felt I really knew the ENT-A by the end of the TOS series.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Cingulate posted:

I'm very much anti-brewery, in large part because the scene in the brewery room is probably the worst part of the movie. It's way too long for a slapstick scene that's never ever funny.

I think "pretty and new" nicely describe the JJTrek Enterprise. She's a bit of a chubster, but, who doesn't like some curves?

The Refit looks huge.

Sadly, the JJTrek Enterprise doesn't quite live up to that standard. Though it might be the next one's gonna give her more mass.

I think the refit from TMP looks huge because they spend 10 goddamn minutes doing flybys of it at the start of the film.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

The shot all of their warp cores into a black hole, all they need is some "future technology scavenged from the depths of who the gently caress cares blah" and boom, brand new ship gets a brand new engine room with shiny new generation warp cores because why the gently caress not. I would rather they stick with the whole industrial idea for it though, engine rooms in star trek have always been boring vestibules with a glowy tube in them, the engine room should be much more kinetic.

Edit: they should film it at the large Hadron Colider, because this:

Is some awesome poo poo.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I think thats one of the best things about the JJtrek, The fact that you get a some shots of how big the Enterprise is. Thats what I'm loving about the trailers for into darkness. You see the "Enterprise" or some other starfleet ship crashing thru buildings like they are nothing. I love me some TOS but it just never correlated in my head that the Enterprise is the size of a aircraft carrier. I really think thats something that they are getting way more right then any other trek movies.

• Locked thread