Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jefferoo posted:

The problem I have is that it looks like Cage is walking away from the wreckage, like a survivor or something. Considering he's all on his lonesome in the middle of the desert with the plane, it just boggles the mind.

Cage has previous experiences with plane wreckages. He knows how to handle them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Jefferoo posted:

The problem I have is that it looks like Cage is walking away from the wreckage, like a survivor or something. Considering he's all on his lonesome in the middle of the desert with the plane, it just boggles the mind.

This thread is now officially a short story contest - who can write the best reason for Cage being next to that plane?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why do planes keep falling around Nicolas Cage?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

GrandpaPants posted:

Why do planes keep falling around Nicolas Cage?

If people just left the bunnies in their boxes, none of this would happen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

penismightier posted:

This thread is now officially a short story contest - who can write the best reason for Cage being next to that plane?

The plane kidnapped his daughter.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

tliil posted:

If I recall correctly (I read these books when I was a teen and starved for anything vaguely post-apocalyptic and the school library didn't have The Stand), later in the books they make some horrible "evil minion" character into the new Pope. If that somehow made it into the movies it would be hilarious. Equal parts controversy and fueling the wacky ideas of conspiracy nuts.

I will never forget the first time I heard about Left Behind. I was in middle school, right around the time where the series was breaking into the mainstream, and I had just finished reading Jurassic Park for the first time. At sunday school I was bragging to another kid about the bodycount of JP and he, with a giant :smug: face, goes "Yeah? Well, billions of people die in the Left Behind books. You should totally read them!"

Left Behind existed right at the point where you're too young to have the critical capacity to realize how awful they were but old enough to want lots of carnage and "grown-up" themes. If you were in a really religious household the novelty of church-approved apocalypse was all you needed, really.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Aphrodite posted:

The plane kidnapped his daughter.

The daughter kidnapped his plane.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

penismightier posted:

The daughter kidnapped his plane.

The daughter and the plane are the same person.

Excelsior
Apr 30, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

Apparently this is real.

Yes, it's a remake of that Left Behind.

I really, really hope Chad Michael Murray ends up being the antichrist or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5E91iz-miY

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Excelsior posted:

I really, really hope Chad Michael Murray ends up being the antichrist or whatever.

Nah, he's supposed to be playing Cameron "Buck" Williams. The greatest investigative reporter of all time, who never reports on any news and is a virgin in his mid-30s. Despite the fact that before the Rapture he wasn't religious at all.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nicolas Cage looks like he is walking on water? Is he the new messiah in this movie?

Perhaps this is where all the acting lessons he got from watching his pet octopus will come into play. Just like Ghost Rider 2 and the cobras.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Are his feet on backwards?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, he's supposed to be playing Cameron "Buck" Williams. The greatest investigative reporter of all time, who never reports on any news and is a virgin in his mid-30s. Despite the fact that before the Rapture he wasn't religious at all.

Also after witnessing the entire Russian and German air forces get wiped out by an act of god, he begins his article on the event with something along the lines of "A strange thing happened the other day..."

Don't make your character a brilliant writer if you're a lovely writer.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Mister Chief posted:

It's really impressive how Spielberg told his actors to stare at a tennis ball hanging by a string and imagine it was something else.

What does the impressiveness of the final product have anything to do with the impressiveness of the means of achieving it?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

User-Friendly posted:

What does the impressiveness of the final product have anything to do with the impressiveness of the means of achieving it?

CGI is terrible and for dumbs. I will accept nothing less than actually detonating a nuclear bomb.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

penismightier posted:

More importantly, what is Cage looking at and why is it making him so perplexed.

Also, is that Arclight films real logo down the bottom.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Excelsior posted:

Nicolas Cage would make the best Antichrist, and I will brook no disagreement :colbert:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
That skid mark of smoke looks like some intern was tasked to add it in and simply picked one of the paint effect brushes and clicked away.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Nicholas Cage's daughter kidnapped the president's face's plane because a snuff film from hell is babysitting a motorcycle possessed by satan's band of witches who want to resolve the mystery of who hijacked the missing senator's bio weapon experiment based out of Alcatraz and so he's selling weapons to a writer in debt to the mob that stole the Declaration of Independence to bankroll a gambling addiction and in a twist of fate he falls in love with a woman who embraces his psychic powers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Nicholas Cage's daughter kidnapped the president's face's plane because a snuff film from hell is babysitting a motorcycle possessed by satan's band of witches who want to resolve the mystery of who hijacked the missing senator's bio weapon experiment based out of Alcatraz and so he's selling weapons to a writer in debt to the mob that stole the Declaration of Independence to bankroll a gambling addiction and in a twist of fate he falls in love with a woman who embraces his psychic powers.

Man, I sure hope this movie has an alligator and/or iguana POV scene in it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gonz posted:

Man, I sure hope this movie has an alligator and/or iguana POV scene in it.

Ain't no iguana.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
In the strange near future, Peter Loew (Nicholas Cage) wakes on an airliner crashed outside of Las Vegas. Left Behind is the remarkable exploration of one man's existential pain of solitary existence, captured in a single slow dolly zoom of Cage wailing and stumbling across a salt pan.

Rated R for an excruciating hairpiece.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Bugblatter posted:

Also after witnessing the entire Russian and German air forces get wiped out by an act of god, he begins his article on the event with something along the lines of "A strange thing happened the other day..."

Don't make your character a brilliant writer if you're a lovely writer.

I don't know how many people are familiar with the series, but progressive evangelical blogger Fred Clark has been basically going through the Left Behind books page by page and ripping the authors new assholes for close to a decade.

I'll let Cracked's David Wong summarize:

quote:

Fred Clark, for those of you who don't know, is the blogger who for the last several years has been reviewing the Left Behind books page by page.

I wish I could summarize for the uninitiated why this is amazing. If you're only vaguely familiar with the books, you probably know they're Christian books about the Apocalypse and the return of Christ. Big deal - there are hundreds of books like that in any Christian book store. But these are written by a pair of authors who are each the author equivalent of Ed Wood. The books are full of insane, unintentional comedy - the authors are very old, very rich, and very white John Birch Society members and so when they're writing about the utter destruction of the world, the main characters are still spending all of their time doing things like buying luxury cars and eating at nice restaurants.

For instance, there's one point where Chicago is destroyed with a nuclear bomb, and the main character needs to get out of the city (because it has been destroyed by a nuclear bomb). So there's this whole scene where he stops at a dealership in the suburbs and buys a luxury SUV, and haggles over the price, and the whole scene is set up to show what a rich big-shot cool guy he is - at one point he insist the dealership return his rental car for him so he can just drive the SUV of the lot. And the people at the dealership are just doing the deal and agreeing like it's everyday business... with a mushroom cloud looming in the horizon, a bomb having destroyed their lives and families and homes.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2012/06/29/nra-returning-the-rental-car/

But then you have the parts that reveal the authors to be borderline sociopaths (or rather, just insulated, out of touch guys who haven't had a conversation outside of a country club in 50 years). At one point the Christian main characters learn that New York is about to be destroyed by the antichrist. They call the city to let their fellow Christians know, so they can escape... but go to great lengths to keep anyone else from finding out. They keep it a secret. So that everyone else - including the helpful people in the city who help them get the message to their loved ones - will die.

The books have created this entirely new and amazingly cruel religion that is in no way about helping or saving people - it's built entirely around this concept of celebrating the death and damnation of everyone outside of their tiny little group of very white, middle-class Christians.

Also:

quote:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2004/03/25/lb-the-evil-of-banality/

The good guys are in a plane, right at the moment millions of people have vanished from the planet (including all children and infants). The entire narrative is dedicated to how inconvenient it is going to be for the main characters to get to the terminal, since none of the shuttles and buses are running.

Because the staff are out pulling bodies from multiple crashed planes instead.

Seriously, it reads like parody. It skips over the crashed planes in like half a sentence, only to point out how the wreckage and smoke is making their commute difficult.

Are we sure these books aren't parody?
(Note: I replaced the original link in the above quote because the blog these were originally posted is long gone.)

Seriously, Fred Clark is smart and funny and he is absolutely loving brutal when it comes to criticizing the LB series. Highly suggest giving it a read if you have the time:

Left Behind Index I: Posts 1-50
Left Behind Index II: Posts 51-100
Left Behind Index III: Posts 101-150
Left Behind Index IV: Posts 151-200
Left Behind Index V: Posts 201-250
Left Behind Index VI: Posts 251-300

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Vagabundo posted:

I'm guessing it will be rather actiony. Look at Vic Armstrong's credits on IMDb. Guy's been the action and/or stunt coordinator on pretty much everything. He even got this in his credits:

Legend (unicorn master) - 1985

He was the stunt coordinator on all of the Indiana Jones films except Crystal Skull (because he was working on Mummy 3. That's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation) and even fights Indy a few times. As soon as I saw his name, I went "Is this the same dude I think it is?"

Edit: That poster is probably a mockup, because they haven't even started production yet. It looks like a terrible fan poster.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 13, 2013

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

penismightier posted:

You see, the founding fathers knew that planes would be invented (well, the Egyptians did and they passed it on) and in order to find the true secret they had to crash a 747 in that exact spot so the tail would cast a shadow of the cross and show the way to Atlantis.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Leaving me behind in Vegas won't bring back your goddamned honey!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nick_326 posted:

I don't know how many people are familiar with the series, but progressive evangelical blogger Fred Clark has been basically going through the Left Behind books page by page and ripping the authors new assholes for close to a decade.

I'll let Cracked's David Wong summarize:

Also:

(Note: I replaced the original link in the above quote because the blog these were originally posted is long gone.)

Seriously, Fred Clark is smart and funny and he is absolutely loving brutal when it comes to criticizing the LB series. Highly suggest giving it a read if you have the time:

Left Behind Index I: Posts 1-50
Left Behind Index II: Posts 51-100
Left Behind Index III: Posts 101-150
Left Behind Index IV: Posts 151-200
Left Behind Index V: Posts 201-250
Left Behind Index VI: Posts 251-300

That stuff doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of crazy that is Left Behind, like it doesn't mention how despite their claim to fight the Antichrist both Buck and Rayford Steele (which is the Nicolas Cage character) WORK for him. Not just in low level jobs or anything like that, Buck is the EiC of the biggest news magazine in the world (the position given to him by the Antichrist) while Rayford personally pilots the Antichrist's Air Force One.

The funniest thing about the series is that the main characters have to be shown as sinners because they were Left Behind but they're also the heroes of the story so they can't have done anything too bad. So you end up with stuff like Rayford's sin being that he had a non-physical quasi affair with a stewardess that never really went very far. Also said stewardess ends up as the mother of the Antichrist's child.

The thing is, unlike the Kirk Cameron ones it looks like they're actually attempting to make this one with a wider appeal so they might (unfortunately) tone down the crazy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cage has previous experiences with plane wreckages. He knows how to handle them.

I don't know about that, man. He looks a bit lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPdwCnwuZ8w

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

I don't know about that, man. He looks a bit lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPdwCnwuZ8w

That movie made me sad. Not because it was a bad film, but because it was the moment I truly gave up on Alex Proyas.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I'm going to show you guys a little mercy and hide this behind a spoiler (it features someone about to get a needle in their eye), but I found an awesome Japanese poster for the original "Halloween II"

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

"So, do you know anything about techno?"
"No."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0S6b7_Z404

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Robert Denby posted:

I'm going to show you guys a little mercy and hide this behind a spoiler (it features someone about to get a needle in their eye), but I found an awesome Japanese poster for the original "Halloween II"

Very neat trick, I didn't think that'd work with timg.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 13, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

He was the stunt coordinator on all of the Indiana Jones films except Crystal Skull (because he was working on Mummy 3. That's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation) and even fights Indy a few times.

Really? I ask because Vic Armstrong was Harrison Ford's stunt and fight double, so he'd have been beating himself up.

I must buy that man's biography, I've heard it's very good.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jedit posted:

Really? I ask because Vic Armstrong was Harrison Ford's stunt and fight double, so he'd have been beating himself up.

I must buy that man's biography, I've heard it's very good.

Yes! I was confusing him with the dude who plays the bald nazi who gets chopped to bits and the slave driver who gets crushed by the rock crusher. Totally different dude. Still, Vic owns. Not sure why he decided to direct this though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yes! I was confusing him with the dude who plays the bald nazi who gets chopped to bits and the slave driver who gets crushed by the rock crusher. Totally different dude. Still, Vic owns. Not sure why he decided to direct this though.

Pat Roach is the guy you're trying to remember.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

New Iron Man 3 poster is the sweatiest since The Paperboy. I guess it must get rather hot in those suits.

Also, Oblivion, starring Tom Cruise's giant head has a new poster.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Also, Oblivion, starring Tom Cruise's giant head has a new poster.

Tom Cruise is currently in the process of falling on his face, if the Empire State building is to be believed

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 13, 2013

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

At least it looks like an actual photo of Cruise in costume as opposed to a poorly scrambled together composite of 20 shots.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That gun looks like a souped-version of the old Nes SuperScope or Blaster or whatever it was to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

feedmyleg posted:

Tom Cruise is currently in the process of falling on his face, if the Empire State building is to be believed

In this case, its at least plausible that the EBS is falling over....