Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
[/quote]

I thought this was about head injuries and such, but I know its likely about Pats conspiracies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

quote:

like a TV timeout that stalls a drive

Aren't like all TV timeouts either after a change of possession/score or, if there's a turnover, sometimes shoehorned in while the ref is walking to the review station?

Other than this past Super Bowl, which was a different situation, I can't recall any "middle of the drive" timeouts that weren't called by either team.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What a miserable life that guy must lead

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

What a miserable life that guy must lead

I should ask him what his thoughts are on fluoride.

Also those are two different guys.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh my god that should make me feel better but it's even worse.

Funny you bring up fluoride. My dad used to be a huge lobbyist for fluoride in the city water back in the early to mid 90s, and he used to go answer questions, as municipalities/towns across Florida hired him as an expert to give reports and go speak at open panels about it, all of which were obviously open to the public.

He used to receive all kinds of random threats from guys who were convinced he worked for the government. I never know about this until about 2-3 years ago when my mom came across some of the letters when clearing out his old den. There were death threats, pleas, you name it. All over the spectrum.

One of them was like 18 pages long with straight up fake newspaper articles from foreign countries showing how fluoride caused cancer and stuff. It was nuts. People.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 13, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

And now the power of the internet allows everyone to experience the crazies!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Oh my god that should make me feel better but it's even worse.

Funny you bring up fluoride. My dad used to be a huge lobbyist for fluoride in the city water back in the early to mid 90s, and he used to go answer questions, as municipalities/towns across Florida hired him as an expert to give reports and go speak at open panels about it, all of which were obviously open to the public.

He used to receive all kinds of random threats from guys who were convinced he worked for the government. I never know about this until about 2-3 years ago when my mom came across some of the letters when clearing out his old den. There were death threats, pleas, you name it. All over the spectrum.

One of them was like 18 pages long with straight up fake newspaper articles from foreign countries showing how fluoride caused cancer and stuff. It was nuts. People.

Portland doesn't have fluoridated water and they are currently trying to pass it through. The uproar from the crazy conspiracy nuts keeps delaying it. In October I'd walk around downtown and get accosted by at least two "activists" telling me THEY ARE PUTTING POISON IN THE WATER THEY ARE GOING TO KILL OUR CHILDREN SIGN HERE AND MAKE IT A PUBLIC VOTE". In the meantime children here have the worst oral health of any major city.

Flouride haters are loving crazy.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I mean I guess it'd make sense of a pediatric dentist who lived in the same city his entire life was somehow a member of the illuminati but come on people!

There was a little "ring of cancer" (something like 8 people were diagnosed with cancer in the same zip code, all people 25-30 years old, grew up in the same area their whole lives) and one guy showed up outside the PBC court house with a sign saying "Loxahatchee + Fluoride = TRUTH decay"

It was pretty clever actually. Oh and it turned out to be entirely unrelated, somehow.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I mean I guess it'd make sense of a pediatric dentist who lived in the same city his entire life was somehow a member of the illuminati but come on people!

There was a little "ring of cancer" (something like 8 people were diagnosed with cancer in the same zip code, all people 25-30 years old, grew up in the same area their whole lives) and one guy showed up outside the PBC court house with a sign saying "Loxahatchee + Fluoride = TRUTH decay"

It was pretty clever actually. Oh and it turned out to be entirely unrelated, somehow.

In Greenacres there was a group of people, but they were younger, children. They got strange cancers (for that population) and the CDC did a multiyear study to figure out. There weren't anymore cases and they basically gave up a few years ago trying to figure out what caused it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Reminds me that Dante Stallworth went on a crazed anti-vaccination rant on twitter a couple months back. And how many pro athletes sponsor that power bracelet that balances your chi or some poo poo? Athletes are dumb.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reminds me that Dante Stallworth went on a crazed anti-vaccination rant on twitter a couple months back. And how many pro athletes sponsor that power bracelet that balances your chi or some poo poo? Athletes are dumb.

I read an article about that deer velvet company that Ray Lewis was involved with today. A lllloooooootttt of athletes believe in nonsense that any reasonable person should instantly sniff out as bullshit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I read an article about that deer velvet company that Ray Lewis was involved with today. A lllloooooootttt of athletes believe in nonsense that any reasonable person should instantly sniff out as bullshit.

The problem is that there is some stuff that sounds like bullshit, but actually has some evidence behind. I mean, think of Gatorade, one of the most basic things. People had tried electrolyte enriched drinks before, but then some guy comes along and says sugar is the key? Sounds like BS but its neccessary. Same with pickle juice. People think its the electrolytes in pickle juice, but there is apparently some novel compound in pickle juice that acts centrally (as in the Central nervous system) to reduce cramping. Deer horn has IGF-1 in it, which probably doesn't do much, much who knows. It hasn't been studied enough to determine one way or another. Its more that athletes are more willing to go out on a limb on a chance that something will help than the average populations, regardless of the evidence behind it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

swickles posted:

The problem is that there is some stuff that sounds like bullshit, but actually has some evidence behind. I mean, think of Gatorade, one of the most basic things. People had tried electrolyte enriched drinks before, but then some guy comes along and says sugar is the key? Sounds like BS but its neccessary. Same with pickle juice. People think its the electrolytes in pickle juice, but there is apparently some novel compound in pickle juice that acts centrally (as in the Central nervous system) to reduce cramping. Deer horn has IGF-1 in it, which probably doesn't do much, much who knows. It hasn't been studied enough to determine one way or another. Its more that athletes are more willing to go out on a limb on a chance that something will help than the average populations, regardless of the evidence behind it.

Yeah, and when it comes to poo poo like sleeping in the special chambers or wearing the special bracelets, I think a lot of it is that when you are at that elite of a level, when both you and your competition are at the 99.99999th percentile, you need to squeeze out every single possible advantage you can, because even the tiniest advantage or the remotest chance can make the difference. If something has even the slightest chance of working, you do it.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
On Alabama's suspended players, taken from Nebraska's rivals site.

quote:

Three of the suspended Alabama players ? Calloway, Williams (the one arrested twice this week), and Hayes show very few offers, despite high rankings (Williams was the #1 Athlete and #24 in the Rivals 100, but shows only 5 offers…). Between them, they have 13 total stars, and only 13 offers, combined. While the offer list doesn't tell us everything, it seems to indicate in this case that many other programs may have passed on these guys, despite their rankings. None held offers from the Huskers. The fourth guy ? Pettway ? held lots of offers, but his recruit picture also displays facial decorations usually intended as a statement to show gang affiliation, in the diagonal slashes shaved systematically into his eyebrows. Not sayin' anyone should jump to conclusions about eyebrows, but he did turn out to be an at-risk prospect who is now in trouble with the law.

Maybe some of the highly-ranked recruits we don't get (or don't even offer) aren't really misses…

Yes, you heard it here first, folks. Slashes in your eyebrows makes you a gang-bangin thug.

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

That's why you need to start pitching them awesome business ideas!

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

limeincoke posted:

Yes, you heard it here first, folks. Slashes in your eyebrows makes you a gang-bangin thug.

I dont even know what to say about this. Ugh.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

limeincoke posted:

One of the most surreal moments of med school involved watching two trauma surgery attendings argue over whether a teardrop tattoo on your face indicated that someone you knew was murdered, or how many murders you have committed. At 5 am.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

swickles posted:

One of the most surreal moments of med school involved watching two trauma surgery attendings argue over whether a teardrop tattoo on your face indicated that someone you knew was murdered, or how many murders you have committed. At 5 am.

For the record, it's how many murders you have committed.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

In the United States, it can mean the wearer has killed someone.[3] The number of teardrops may indicate the number of years spent in prison, or the number of times the wearer was raped.[1] It may also indicate time spent in prison or the loss of a loved one or fellow gang member.[1]

What a wildly varying thing, one extreme to the other. It can either mean you killed a man or you've been raped by one. So Lil Wayne might have been raped 4 times; killed 4 people; killed 2, got raped by one, critically injured one and gave one blowjob, maybe those are .5? Who knows.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Russian prison tats are amazing, that's one area where I think we clearly lost the cold war.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

sweet thursday posted:

In the United States, it can mean the wearer has killed someone.[3] The number of teardrops may indicate the number of years spent in prison, or the number of times the wearer was raped.[1] It may also indicate time spent in prison or the loss of a loved one or fellow gang member.[1]

What a wildly varying thing, one extreme to the other. It can either mean you killed a man or you've been raped by one. So Lil Wayne might have been raped 4 times; killed 4 people; killed 2, got raped by one, critically injured one and gave one blowjob, maybe those are .5? Who knows.

I think that was the source of the argument because it was a girl who had the tattoos. She was also stabbed, but had been in a knife fight with someone else.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

So how many teardrops did those docs have? The ones at my hospital pretty much just have to paint their faces black at this point. If you came to us you're pretty much gonna die.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

sweet thursday posted:

critically injured one and gave one blowjob,

So, that counts as one or two. I need to know for a paper.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

As seen by some dumb rear end in a top hat on Bleacher Report. Try with all your might to guess who the guy is talking about and weep

dumb rear end in a top hat posted:

I have no problem with him making what someone is willing to pay him. That's how it should be in America.

My problem is with his politics. He's a liberal Dem whose party bashes the rich at every turn, all the while pulling down thirty million per year. He wants everyone except himself to 'pay their fair share' and totes the party line except when it comes to his fortune. Typical.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
OK suspense over who is it

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Roger Goodell: enemy of the rich

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

sweet thursday posted:

Roger Goodell: enemy of the rich

gently caress you for ruining my day by sharing that.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
What's the story behind that? I know Roger is the NFL commissioner (I think). Is he actually really generous with his money, or what?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

limeincoke posted:

What's the story behind that? I know Roger is the NFL commissioner (I think). Is he actually really generous with his money, or what?

It's flat out wrong from everything I know. Maybe his personal politics are different, I have no idea how the man votes. But he's not generous at all with the NFL's money. His dad was a republican politician...uh the only thing I can think of is that his brother is gay?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe he can't help but notice that Republicans have been steadily going down Whackadoo Lane for the last couple decades and decided to vote and contribute for the slightly less crazy party.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

This sounds like my cousin who keeps saying that there is an NFL conspiracy to keep the Steelers down. That's right, he thinks the Steelers are screwed by the league. :ironicat:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I guess this rant belongs here.

Why in the hell do big respectable organizations like ESPN and yahoo! Sports allow user comments? It would be one thing if they were even remotely worthwhile, but they are nothing but cesspools of racism and the like. If it was one out of every hundred comments, fine, you can't have a perfect user base, but it is practically every third comment. Do they not understand how badly it reflects on their brand? I think less of yahoo! Sports now because I they allow that garbage.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Ribsauce posted:

I guess this rant belongs here.

Why in the hell do big respectable organizations like ESPN and yahoo! Sports allow user comments? It would be one thing if they were even remotely worthwhile, but they are nothing but cesspools of racism and the like. If it was one out of every hundred comments, fine, you can't have a perfect user base, but it is practically every third comment. Do they not understand how badly it reflects on their brand? I think less of yahoo! Sports now because I they allow that garbage.

I think every big site just ignores comments, but allows them because it provides interactivity and therefore traffic. Have you ever read the comments on an NFL.com article? That's straight to the source and you have horrible comments right there. Most people just don't read comments, and I think the ones who do are the morons who would post one.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

It's flat out wrong from everything I know. Maybe his personal politics are different, I have no idea how the man votes. But he's not generous at all with the NFL's money. His dad was a republican politician...uh the only thing I can think of is that his brother is gay?

Who was kicked out for opposing the Vietnam War by Nixon and Agnew. Like a lot of Republicans from when the dinosaurs walked the earth, he'd be a loony lefty now.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Anyone ever read NHL.com comments? They're not good or anything but they're light years better than NFL.com. Canada....

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I only pretty much read article comments for the stupid racist poo poo. Its like reading castefootball, its entertaining on some level, and gives you a nice sense of superiority that you aren't that bigoted/stupid. I think that's the only reason people read them who aren't also commenting.

edit: I haven't been to caste football in a while, I wonder how they feel about the Ravens winning.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Caste Football is now openly associated with the American Nationalist Union. Check out their platform: http://www.anu.org/platform.php

quote:

- Return to a strengthened family unit as the norm for society, rejecting feminism, homosexuality and all other types of so-called "alternative lifestyles."
- Return to Americans their traditional right of freedom of association, including voluntary racial separation, along with the abolishment of all forms of government-mandated racial discrimination, such as affirmative action and quotas.
Yep.

Sadly they haven't written almost anything this year. But check out this opening line in one of the articles this year:

quote:

The news of Kansas City Chief Jovan Belcher showing a complete lack of impulse control shouldn’t startle anyone who pays attention to the reality of race and crime.
Nice.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

limeincoke posted:

CFB fans go through so much spin and self-delusion to convince themselves that their team is better off without the stud recruits they aren't getting.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Lasagna Pilot posted:

CFB fans go through so much spin and self-delusion to convince themselves that their team is better off without the stud recruits they aren't getting.

There needs to be a college recruit version of TFF Free Agent Flowchart.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm checking down to a news article comments here guys:

So someone writes a short article talking about just how lovely the penn state truthers have been to Sara Ganim, and like flies to poo poo, they have come:

http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2013/02/19/ugly-harassment-sara-ganim/

quote:

Aileen, Penn State already looks bad. Joe Paterno was railroaded by an out of control rush to injustice mainstream media. Sara Ganim started it all.

Any way you slice it, Sara Ganim put this out there without thinking of the ramifications. once the scandal got going, she got hired by CNN. she literally used pedophilia to propel her career and her "journalism" have negatively impacted hundreds of thousands if not millions of people. it's disgusting, and she's no hero.

then as if that wasn't enough, she puts out a tweet the other day about how she "doesn't understand why PSU doesn't open their books like other charities". Um Sara dear, PSU isn't a charity! it's a university. and ever since her scandal, the new PSU have opened their books more then ever, and by doing that they let the NCAA sanction them without any due process.

we still haven't even had the trial of the PSU admins that supposedly conspired to cover up something, when in reality they were just following the law.

Ms. Ganim put herself out there, and continues to act like everything that happened is perfectly normal. she created this madness so she shouldn't complain when people speak their mind.

she goes around acting like she's this big hero and she's not. alieen, would Joe Paterno be proud of me for my comment? that's not for me to say, PSU isn't my university. I'm not representing PSU. Joe Paterno would be very troubled obviously by what has happened to PSU. he worked his whole life to do good and put PSU in the best position he could for the future. and PSU was doing great, but then Sara Ganim and the rest of the mainstream media clowns made this sandusky scandal all about PSU and it won't ever be the same again.

Joe Paterno would still be alive today if it wasn't for people like Sara Ganim.

• Locked thread