Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

User-Friendly posted:

Why does this one say "Edward James Olmost"?
Because he was in the film?

Every version of this poster I can find cuts off the characters' heads.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vegetable posted:

Hmm, I guess he was. Well, olmost.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
He's thinking of Edward James Almost, who is an Edward James Olmos lookalike who Tracy is friends with.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vegetable posted:

Ohhhhhh, that just makes my day.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Ohhhhhh, that just makes my day.

Maybe he's the one who made the poster.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

User-Friendly posted:

Why does this one say "Edward James Olmost"?

He "olmost" spelled it right!

edit: Ah gently caress I was still on the last page.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

Ghostpilot posted:

Speaking of Jurassic Park posters!

And here's a couple others.

I think I'd like these more if they were book covers instead, especially the first two. Partly because they look like book covers, and partly because they look better at a small size than at a poster size.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maxwell Lord posted:

What is the second one even referen- oh gently caress YOU.

It's one of the first lovely minimalist posters I've seen that actually made me a bit angry.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Der Shovel posted:

It's one of the first lovely minimalist posters I've seen that actually made me a bit angry.

Yeah. It's the epitome of the lovely minimalist poster that only someone who has seen the movie and enjoyed it already can "get." And it also happens to be abusing an amazing line. The tortoise one is just... daft.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Antti posted:

The tortoise one is just... daft.

They're both godawful, but at least "tears in rain" has become an iconic line in its own right. I didn't even remember the "turtle on its back" part until I rewatched the movie recently, so I wouldn't have gotten the connection.

The tears in rain one was poorly-done, but the turtle one has only the most tenuous connection to the film so I'd consider it the worst of the two.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

While it miss the mark on the atmosphere of the series as a whole, I have to give it at least some credit for trying captures the incredibly goofy vibe a lot of the better x files episodes had thrown in and that many other x files posters seem to totally ignore.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That Jurassic Park one is awful for how little menace there is. Two little cartoony Ghostbuster cars drive past a hump-backed T-Rex that I find much easier to imagine mooing than roaring.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Has anyone seen a site that has the Olly Moss Oscar poster statues one at a time? I can't read the dates on the highest resolution pic I could find.

e, content

schwenz fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 14, 2013

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

schwenz posted:

Has anyone seen a site that has the Olly Moss Oscar poster statues one at a time? I can't read the dates on the highest resolution pic I could find.

http://oscar.go.com/photos/themed-galleries/special/oscars-best-pictures-tribute/

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I like the idea behind the "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" poster for 3D Jurassic park.

That's one of my favorite scenes from the movie and its a clever way to show off that itll be in 3D

Just terrible execution

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Is this some kind of viral marketing for Postal IV?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Holy crap.

Vagabundo posted:

Also, Oblivion, starring Tom Cruise's giant head has a new poster.

At least we know we'll still have hair product in the future.

uPen posted:

Quickly and with photoshop folded paper overlays.

Ugh, Jesus Christ.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Vagabundo posted:

Also, Oblivion, starring Tom Cruise's giant head has a new poster.

Going by that sniper rifle, Oblivion is joining Prometheus and Total Recall 2012 in movies that look like they lifted designs straight out of Mass Effect.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

dr_rat posted:

While it miss the mark on the atmosphere of the series as a whole, I have to give it at least some credit for trying captures the incredibly goofy vibe a lot of the better x files episodes had thrown in and that many other x files posters seem to totally ignore.

If that poster style was done for Jose Chung's From Outer Space, it could fit a lot better.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Going by that sniper rifle, Oblivion is joining Prometheus and Total Recall 2012 in movies that look like they lifted designs straight out of Mass Effect.

Which lifted a lot of its design aesthetic from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, interestingly enough.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cause of that Left Behind poster I just read the plot summaries to every book on Wikipedia.
I'd love for the reboot to be incredibly successful and the entire series to be shot with crazy movie stars and the world's greatest special effects just so I can pop in to the second to last movie and see Jesus float down to kick butt during world war 3. That sounds fun.

Most of the books are decent. Batshit insane, not to be taken even remotely seriously, but I like crazy end of the world stories. That last book where Jesus shows up though is nuts. Just a whole other level. Jesus is walking across a battle field, speaking at bad guys, causing them to explode, as we walks through rivers of blood. I can't believe anything in that last book was actually put on paper and published.

So yeah, I'd love to see them try and film that poo poo.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
You guys know that a lot of this stuff is just made up by random artists, right? Like it's not one guy sitting down with a copy of Final Fantasy and going "hmm, this looks good... I'll use it for this game I'm working on!" For any major game or movie there are hundreds and hundreds of ideas for every spaceship or weapon.

I mean obviously a lot of artists are influenced by other stuff that's out there and a big problem with these movies is that everyone looks at the same stuff and gets inspired by the same stuff and it gets approved by people who want something familiar so it all sort of looks the same, but nobody is straight out "lifting" anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If all of the artists who worked on Mass Effect actually watched Final Fantasy, that would triple its viewership.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vegetable posted:

Wow how do you make a bad poster out of a movie like Blade Runner?

Are you kidding? Every poster for Blade Runner has been terrible.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

tliil posted:

You guys know that a lot of this stuff is just made up by random artists, right? Like it's not one guy sitting down with a copy of Final Fantasy and going "hmm, this looks good... I'll use it for this game I'm working on!" For any major game or movie there are hundreds and hundreds of ideas for every spaceship or weapon.

I mean obviously a lot of artists are influenced by other stuff that's out there and a big problem with these movies is that everyone looks at the same stuff and gets inspired by the same stuff and it gets approved by people who want something familiar so it all sort of looks the same, but nobody is straight out "lifting" anything.

It's all based on 70s Pulp Sci-Fi aesthetic anyway :colbert:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Reminds me of Gorey's Mystery! intro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPlY_7RR1h0

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

BlueBayou posted:

I like the idea behind the "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" poster for 3D Jurassic park.

That's one of my favorite scenes from the movie and its a clever way to show off that itll be in 3D

Just terrible execution

Wait...correct me if I'm wrong, but reflected images don't actually appear to be 3D in real life, right?

That scene is going to look so weird!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Wendell posted:

That Jurassic Park one is awful for how little menace there is. Two little cartoony Ghostbuster cars drive past a hump-backed T-Rex that I find much easier to imagine mooing than roaring.

I almost want to draw what the tyrannosaurus' skull would have to look like. Instead, have these:

Eh... okay, sure.

That dogeared upper-right corner is distracting as hell and if you didn't know who Drew Struzan was already, would this give you any idea? This would *almost* be a place where the photomontage approach would work. However...

Ouch. (Yes, this is supposedly a photomontage, not just one of the regular posters that got into a fight with Photoshop filters and lost, badly.)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Wait...correct me if I'm wrong, but reflected images don't actually appear to be 3D in real life, right?

That scene is going to look so weird!

Well, yeah of course they do. Close one eye, look at something in the mirror. Move 3" to one side. The image changed slightly.

The problem is flattening at a distance. If you're standing 4' from a mirror and looking at a reflection of something that's 10' behind you, it will appear to be 18' away.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Rahonavis posted:

Ouch. (Yes, this is supposedly a photomontage, not just one of the regular posters that got into a fight with Photoshop filters and lost, badly.)

Must be the remake starring Richard Simmons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rahonavis posted:

That dogeared upper-right corner is distracting as hell and if you didn't know who Drew Struzan was already, would this give you any idea? This would *almost* be a place where the photomontage approach would work. However...

Seems kind of a mismatch, making a film about a guy who paints totally rad film posters and giving it the most boring photographic poster possible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rahonavis posted:

He may have painted some sweet Indiana Jones posters back in the day, but judging by this poster he's now all about quantum mechanically sending karma to our new age otherkins. Just open your mind!

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

This poo poo always bothered me cause the idea of this kind of photocollage is to create the original through actual frames of the movie but looking closer at it you can easily see that they recolored frames so they can match, so what's the loving point. Just post 4000 little jpegs of the actual poster.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Also if he's 'the man behind the poster' why is the picture of him in front of another picture? They didn't think their dumb visual pun through properly.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ZackHoagie posted:

This poo poo always bothered me cause the idea of this kind of photocollage is to create the original through actual frames of the movie but looking closer at it you can easily see that they recolored frames so they can match, so what's the loving point. Just post 4000 little jpegs of the actual poster.
See also, every photo collage where upon close inspection you can see that all the photos are just color graded to whatever is necessary. :effort:

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well, yeah of course they do. Close one eye, look at something in the mirror. Move 3" to one side. The image changed slightly.

The problem is flattening at a distance. If you're standing 4' from a mirror and looking at a reflection of something that's 10' behind you, it will appear to be 18' away.

You're right...

That's the second time I've been hosed over by mirrors.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

tliil posted:

Yes, I understand that completely, but the film was actually noted by the art director as something they would look at when designing; the GUIs and the design elements of some of their spaceships would sometimes come from them looking at some of the art for the film. http://www.computerandvideogames.com/309198/bioware-mass-effect-inspired-a-lot-by-final-fantasy-film/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Hey Tim and Alex didn't ride in the jeep with Dr. Sattler and Dr. Grant
:goonsay:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Hey Tim and Alex didn't ride in the jeep with Dr. Sattler and Dr. Grant
Also that's the wrong jeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Cross posting from the General Chat thread, because it seems appropriate here.

quote:

I enjoy the google page for 'A Good Day To Die Hard':

Wait, what's that poster?

Ok.